Given how active the Politics 2021 channel is I am suggesting we make a debate/politics squad. I know there is alot of interest in the channel and debating in general within our community but want to hear everyone's comments on the subject. 

-Saline

I see that there's nothing that can possibly go wrong with this squad.

Personally, I don't see a reason to expand the politics channel beyond what it already is at. No one really joins OD to debate other people about real world issues. Would be funny if it was SOTM though.

I agree with Zach. I don’t see any real reason to expand it to a squad as the channel is serving its purpose. 

Also @Zakspeeeed(OD) SOTM is reserved for squads pushing to become a division. 

If anything. I would argue we could make this a non squad if it called for it. 

To form a Squad, a member must request a General to create it for them and provide evidence of a clear interest in the game by existing members, or players they have found within the game. The General will add it to the site and create a Discord channel for them in the Discord's Squad section.

I was thankful when the politics were moved out of the community chat.  I, for one, don't want to come on here to discuss politics.  I see enough of it in real life.  I don't mind if others want to discuss by going to that specific channel, but as Badboi pointed out, it's not a game, therefore, no squad status.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

To form a Squad, a member must request a General to create it for them and provide evidence of a clear interest in the game by existing members, or players they have found within the game. The General will add it to the site and create a Discord channel for them in the Discord's Squad section.

1 hour ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I was thankful when the politics were moved out of the community chat.  I, for one, don't want to come on here to discuss politics.  I see enough of it in real life.  I don't mind if others want to discuss by going to that specific channel, but as Badboi pointed out, it's not a game, therefore, no squad status.

To be fair and play devils advocate. Someone once created a squad for people to talk about and discuss music. 

I still don’t agree it needs to be a squad. But I’m just saying. I didn’t agree with that being a squad either. 

Edited by JD(OD)

Actually I would say debate club could be considered a game on a technicality. But I agree, Maybe we should shunt it down to non-squad instead. I was the one who originally asked for the channel to be created to keep it separate during the presidential election. I did not expect it to be as popular as it is. I just dont know if it should be in the community tab. 

2 hours ago, SalinePandora(OD) said:

non-squad

It’s definitely a non-squad. 

7 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

Someone once created

I’m more than happy to discuss demoting squads to non-squad. 

16 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

It’s definitely a non-squad. 

I’m more than happy to discuss demoting squads to non-squad. 

@MelodicRose(OD) and her team is actually working on sorting out inactive channels, squads, etc...

46 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

Thanks Kait! 

Literally working in it this weekend, great minds think alike 😄

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there are examples of non-game Squads created in the past, and I don't generally see an issue with allowing non-game Squads if it is something people enjoy and makes the community more interesting.

However I am very reluctant to support a politics Squad. It's true that the politics channel has been surprisingly mature and open-minded, but the poison that is political conversations has a tendency to spread, and I have a very keen concern that if we allow political discussion to become a bigger part of OD then it will inexorably end up coloring the Clan in more of a political light. And for the most part OD is intended to be a haven to allow people to get away from those kinds of things. It is one of the only places in the world that people can go to in order to get away from those discussions. That is our role as a gaming community, to provide that kind of haven for people, and I have reservations about moving in a direction that compromises that.

• Like 1

A perfect example of a non-game squad is the Gamer's Lounge. It's intended to be a place for like minded people to gather and enjoy gaming. It just so happens that Terra and I both tend to be there a lot. There is no one game we play, that's why it's more of a broad 'Gamer's Lounge' and not geared towards a specific game.

I also am very apprehensive about a politics squad. People tend to handle verbal discussions different than text conversations, and a verbal discussion can quickly deteriorate because of inflections in the voice.. whereas text is just that, text. I get the idea is genuine, but I think it also opens the door to too many potential problems.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2021 at 8:29 AM, Badboi(OD) said:

Precedence has already been set with the approved creation of 3 current squads not associated with any particular game: "Recruit & retention squad", "Streamer Squad", and "Clan Dev Squad Squad".  The "Gamer's Lounge Squad" could arguably be added to that list, since that squad doesn't focus on one particular game either... 😉 

That said, I wouldn't object to a "non-squad" designation for an OD  "debate team" , discussing various topics (political or otherwise), as long as it can remain focused on the topic at hand rather than attacking each other personally, meaning someone would be needing to take up that responsibility of regularly moderating the channel. 

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Like 1

Non-game Squad?? The Gamer's Lounge is the *most* game-related Squad of them all, it is specifically about playing any and all games! It literally has gamer in its name!

The Recruit & Retention Squad is a prime example of a non-game Squad.

11 hours ago, Terra said:

Non-game Squad?? The Gamer's Lounge is the *most* game-related Squad of them all, it is specifically about playing any and all games! It literally has gamer in its name!

The Recruit & Retention Squad is a prime example of a non-game Squad.

Practicing for the OD debate team already I see... 😆

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Please. The debate team needs to practice for me.

If only Tris or Snowwhite were around. 

• Laugh 2
On 5/27/2021 at 3:15 AM, Terra said:

Recruit & Retention

My vote is that it is a committee, not a squad and that the webdev/GFX Team is a Team not a squad that can be better tracked on Discord and the forums, not the squad site list. But that’s not my sword to fall on. 

Whatever you want to call it. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of a Debate Team Committee Squad in principle, but I don't like the idea of expanding political discussions within the Clan, and I worry that a Debate Team Committee Squad will inevitably lead to such discussions. I think it's better to keep it confined to the politics chat channel.

I could potentially be convinced to allow a Debate Club, though, if the Club was invite-only and hidden from the main Clan. If it was kept private and separate from the main body of the Clan then I think it would be all right to allow political discussions within it, as any member joining it is willingly choosing to be part of those discussions.