An introduction to the Lichess website

Hi everyone, I'm not the boss of anything at all, but I am willing, health permitting, to work on things to help our chess club grow and attract players of skill all levels.  In my own chess playing endeavors, I was introduced to the Lichess.org website several years before I discovered clan OverDosed, and at the time an old army buddy got me setup there, I created an account, VoidStalker666, and played him a few times (3), and then started playing against the various computer AI's on their site, but that really isn't my thing.  I could beat the lowest level AI more often than not , but have never beaten the level 8 AI in a fair fight.  🙂

Now fast forward several years, and I started playing chess with the OD chess club!  The boss, Badboi(OD), setup some chess tournaments, and we had a great time playing some games, but as usual, the tournaments are pitting new players against not only their own level opponents, but the more advanced players as well, and chess is not exactly a co-op game.  😞

But wait, working with Badboi(OD), I began to learn that there was more to the Lichess.org website than merely playing chess!  A whole lot more in fact.

The Lichess.org website offers tools to improve one's game that I could only dream of 40 years ago, when I was {17} young, healthy, and capable of kicking much chess player butt. 🙂

For starters, you can go and watch EVERY game of every clan(OD) member that they have played out using the website, and you can go over these games 24/7, at your convenience, to your heart's content, over and over again if you like, and watch how they played their games.  I cannot recommend this enough, both to find that individual members chess playing strength's and weaknesses', as well as tricky things that they do...

But the website has waaayyyy more to offer than merely being able to view other's (and your own) past games, it also has a huge amount of tools that teach everything to do with chess, and in this area, I'm a complete novice.  I have not yet even begun to explore all the ways Lichess.org makes it easier to learn and master chess!!!  In this thread, I'm going to issue a call to arms, and challenge all my fellow clan(OD) chess club members to join me in an effort to explore the capabilities of the Lichess.org website, and begin to learn you to use it to improve not only my own game, but that of all that care to invest some time in leaning the site, and in learning the game!

I love using dramatic movie moments to both reference movies that I like, and to emphasize my points, and in keeping with this quirk of my personality, I give you the following...

What say YOU?

• Like 2

My best friend played a series of games last week, and lost most of them, but in going over a few of his games, I came across a trio that I turned into studies, two of which I think are rather good.  I've already got one posted over on discord, and a few folks have had a chance to play with it a bit, but I didn't really get to watch someone work their way through all 8 levels of the computer AI playing against them, so I don't yet know just how useful the study is going to be, and keep in mind this is the very first one I have ever done, so hopefully, all others will be done better.

For something that I want to be able to serve as a fun, interactive learning tool, that will make a better chess player out of the folks that play them, and provide hours of fun for all, even years from now.  But, at least for me, I would ask that these homemade studies NOT be played as a group event, but as a single player event, and WITHOUT computer support!!!  The simple reason for this is, this type of content takes time to develop, and a player isn't going to get better if they just use the computer to tell them what to do, and then just practice doing that over and over again.  The Lichess.org website has a HUGE amount of content that is exactly like that, and solving those types of premade things is fair game as a group effort (and allot of fun) but the custom made studies are going to be very limited in number, and we as a club will need some way to have new members play out things on their own, to get an idea where they are in their own skills playing chess, and what we need to focus them on too make them better.

That said, we as a chess club really don't have much n the way of infrastructure to bring in new members, get them sorted out, and get them started on the path to better chess.  I for one would like to start talking to the other chess club members about learning how to use the Lichess.org website, and then learning how to teach others how to use it.

What thoughts have you?

I think you are doing amazing work here Chanter.  I just wish I had more time to participate.  You are a great guy and chess is so much fun!  Good luck.