Blind's First Eval - May 2021

Posted (edited)

Blind(OD)'s 1* Brigadier General Evaluation

I've been nominated to be set rank to 1* General this evaluation period.

Brigadier Generals Expectations

Spoiler

Leaders and representatives of their respective Divisions and pillars of their gaming community, providing for the members they are responsible for.

Core Expectations

- Attends Admin and General-Specific Meetings*

- Votes (with reasons) on all General Evaluations

- Supports the needs of Clan members to the best of their ability

- Enforces Clan values and maintains a positive gaming environment

Practical Expectations

- Manage the needs of their Divisions and the members in it (Promotions, medals, recruitment powers, rank changes, etc.)

- Support their Division through consistent recruitment or events

- Actively involved in topics posted in the General's Board**

- Attends Community Meetings

Exceptional Expectations

- Presenting ideas or discussions of their own in the General's Board

- Taking the initiative to implement approved changes and turn ideas into reality

- Contributing in some form to the Clan as a whole, (monthly Clan-wide events or providing coding support for the website)

- A major contributor to the leading of a large division who recognizes, mentors, and provides opportunities for future leaders

- Votes on all major Community changes

*Exclusions apply for time zone conflicts

**Brigadier Generals are allowed to be exempt from discussions and voting.

Who Am I?
For those who don't know me, my name is David though I normally go by Blind. I have been in and out of Clan OD since 2004 and have pretty much done everything that OD has to offer. I have held every rank in this community and worked along side many different personalities over the years. Outside of OverDosed I am also a staff member on D2JSP. I have a wife, and currently 3 kids. I have been a web-developer for the last 7 or 8 years. I fell in love with web development largely in part to working on the OD website and the AS website.

What I Bring to the Team?
Having been in and out of the community and having held every rank, I feel I bring a lot of knowledge to the group. I am still learning the new ways that things are done, but I feel I catch on quickly. I also bring technological experience in the forms of web development and discord development.

Why I Left the Clan in 2015?

I am passionate for what I believe in, and tend to make it known. It's why I got in trouble with Ark 5 years ago. I have learned to pick and choose my battles, but more important have learned to respect that other solutions can be just as viable. I also came to realize how much I missed being a part of the OD community and subsequently asked to be re-enabled and offered this apology: https://forum.overdosed.net/topic/70640-apology-and-enablement/?tab=comments#comment-856499

What Have I Done?

Spoiler

Division Accomplishments:

• Taken over World of Warcraft Retail Division
  • Recruited 12 new members from in-game WoW to Clan OD.
  • Setup in-game incentives for members to join Clan OD.
  • Restructured in-game guild to allow us to progress into higher end content.
  • Setup a successful in-game officer group to help manage the guild and give the in-game rank meaning.
  • Along with Salax(OD), Psyrona(OD), Smug(OD) and Pabst(OD), helped lead the guild to 10/10 Heroic.
  • Helping members gear and prepare for raid.
  • Attempt to coach / help others with their specs to improve performance.

Website Accomplishments:

• Fixed spelling errors on Password Reset.
  • Fixed the display of divisions in various drop downs.
  • Fixed a bug that was causing sent messages to disappear.
  • Started work on updating the main site: http://blind.overdosed.net
  • On test site, have begun integrating the sites with the new template.

Other:

• Reached out to several members to assist with website issues. STOS(OD) is a good example of when he was on trial he was going to DSL out.
  • Identified and still continue to see if people have their discords link to make gaming easier in the lower ranks.
  • Joined the Discord team and assisting there.
  • Have started to get to know members of other divisions outside of World of Warcraft. Namely Diablo 2 and dabbling in Diablo 3.
  • Working with users on how to use their console. I.E - Voting on Promotions, Recruiting
  • Provide WoW division updates on the Division leadership sub-forum since I joined as a division co-lead
  • I have taken over as the WoW Division Leader
  • Participate in the Officer forum discussion
  • Researched and installed a Diablo 2 Discord Bot that displays the in-game chat channel to the discord in #advertised-d2-run

These are just a few of the things I have done since rejoining that I can recall off the top of my head.

What do I Want to Accomplish?

• Develop and update standards around website and discord development.
  • Implement Overdosed emails for people wanting to assist with the development aspect of OD so we can use these for various platforms with the permission of R.ag and the rest of the administration. ( Trello, Gitlab, etc )
  • Train more WoW division members to start using the website
  • Work with TimingTim and other WoW members who are interested to begin moving into the Officer ranks.

Thank you for taking the time to read my evaluation and I look forward to answering some of your questions and comments.

Obligatory Purple Text for Cindy

Edited by Blind

I've got a question..

Can we go to Applebee's?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

I've got a question..

Can we go to Applebee's?

Is McHenry or Kenosha closer for you?

Image of Are you asking me to go to Applebee's with you?

Edited by Blind
Posted (edited)

It would be a grave mistake not to have this man in leadership. He's already doing great work in the web development part of OverDosed, AND he's running the WoW division along with mentoring new people.

+1 on Phase 2. Outstanding member, good speaking skills, dedicated to what he does.

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)

David, you are already operating well within the parameters of the general rank, so it is no surprised our whole community wants to see you at that rank.

- The things you are doing for our website have been fun to watch evolve...free of charge.  Thanks for streaming some of it.

- You have done an awesome job with WoW, watching you stream that game has made me interested at trying it out sometime soon.

- That was some intense recruiting you have done since your return as well.

I have enjoyed our chats on Discord.  You are a very down-to-earth individual that is easy to talk to.

Eloquent writer/speaker, mentor, a deep care for our community.  I would wish you luck, but don't suspect you will need any.

Oh yeah questions...I really don't have any for you.  Your resume speaks for itself.  Besides, as we often as we speak I trust where you are coming from.

Rick

Blind, there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said. You and I have been speaking more often recently, and looking at your manner, your actions, your intentions and your drive, I can wholeheartedly support this evaluation. Looking forward to what you bring. +1.

It has been my privilege to get to know you as a friend since you returned to the Clan.  You offer so much to the Clan and give freely of your skills and insights.  I watch your streams sometimes and just shake my head that anybody understands all that coding stuff, but that is not my forte at all.  I respect your ability to be able to do that.  It's also been fun learning about your home life with your children and wife and how devoted you are to them and how strict you are on setting time away from the computer to be with them.  To me is shows you know where your priorities are.

You know that at times you can come across as too blunt.  When you know there is a better way to do something, you don't hesitate to say something.  Working together as a team is critical, in my opinion, and is part of the reason the Clan has been around so long.  How will you approach a situation where you know you are right, but the majority votes differently?  

What is the biggest challenge you have faced since your return to the Clan?

Would you take a moment to help @CompFreak(OD)understand that there is more to life than s p r e a d s h e e t s?

Thank you for the obligatory purple writing in your eval.  I definitely noticed it!  Good luck on your eval.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

1) How will you approach a situation where you know you are right, but the majority votes differently?  

2) What is the biggest challenge you have faced since your return to the Clan?

3) Would you take a moment to help @CompFreak(OD)understand that there is more to life than s p r e a d s h e e t s?

Cindy, I've gone ahead and numbered your questions just to make it easier to sort my responses.

1) I mean, it really depends on what the topic is about. I've learned that there's more than one way to accomplish pretty much anything. It's all about flexibility. What I feel may be the right way to do something, doesn't mean it is the only way to do it. So I guess if I had to answer your question, I'd have to really first weigh whether or not it is worth fighting for or not and if it was, it's all about data, data, data. If after arguing my case and it is still decided to go another direction, then it is what it is.

2) I think the biggest challenge or obstacle I have faced since I've returned is honestly myself. I am my own worst enemy. My last stay here in OD (2015) left a very sour taste in my mouth, especially after how I left the community in 2011. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a small chip on my shoulder when I first rejoined. It was a much different time in my life back then, and while it may have been 5/6 years ago, OD has been a big part of my life over the many years, especially working on the website and all the time I invested in leading various aspects of the communities over the years. Since rejoining I reflected on my actions from last time I was here, and from how I left as a Commander. I reached out to those I still had a chip towards, and apologized and cleared the air, and most importantly just made a decision and have been making a conscious effort to treat this as a new opportunity.

3) I love data. I work with data due to my career. My finances are all on a spreadsheet. Keep being awesome @CompFreak(OD) 

Thank you for your questions Cindy.

5 hours ago, Geordie(OD) said:

Blind, there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said. You and I have been speaking more often recently, and looking at your manner, your actions, your intentions and your drive, I can wholeheartedly support this evaluation. Looking forward to what you bring. +1.

Geordie, thank you for your comments and praise. Appreciate your support.

Edited by Blind

I know had your controversies in the past, but you have came back extremely strong and I can respect that. There is no need for me to spout your accomplishments and projects as they speak for themselves. As someone who has and will work with you extensively in the Discord Team I find that you are efficient, but very easy to work with. You may not agree with everyone, but ultimately you are a team player who will take time to work with eveyone. 

Questions:

1. Do you think your past actions and experiences sometimes hold you back from looking at things in the current perspective?

2. Do you ever still feel judged over your previous commander and ark division leader days?

3. What do you think is the biggest hurdle for you as a brig general?

4. Do you like the current team of leadership?

14 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Would you take a moment to help @CompFreak(OD)understand that there is more to life than s p r e a d s h e e t s?

I must have really traumatized you with some spreadsheet or another at one point...hahaha😂

Of course there is MUCH more to life than spreadsheets, but spreadsheets can help you to enjoy THAT much more of it, as @Blind is aware 😉.

Posted (edited)

@LightningWolves(OD)

Appreciate the questions, and your restraint in only asking 4 questions. 🤣

1) I don't think my past actions or experiences hold me back from looking at how the clan is currently. Not at all. If they did, and I was stuck on or dwelled on the past I wouldn't be up for eval right now as a General. I think the biggest thing for anyone who may be able to relate to your question is to know our past helps form who we are, our present is where we figure out the direction we want to go, and the future is what we set our sights on to grow.

2) I don't think I feel judged in a negative sense if that's what you're getting at. If anything I think people see / hear I was an old Commander and tend to judge me as someone who has a wealth of knowledge stored up there. And while I may have an overall understanding of how the community works as a whole, I'm still learning how things are done in the current age of OD.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by this question. I don't think there are any hurdles as Brig General. At least nothing I haven't already been dealing with as I have been climbing through the ranks and trying to maintain and grow the WoW division.

4) I don't 'like' how this question is phrased. I mean, in a work environment you don't have to 'like' everyone you work with, you just have to be able to do your job and work with them. Are there certain things in the leadership that may bug me? Sure, absolutely. Is it a big deal? Not at all, they're trivial things that you just shrug off. We're adults, and we deal with these types of things everyday in our work and our lives. There is not a single Commander or General though that I have an issue with. As I answered to Cindy, when I first rejoined the answer to this question might have been different, and was back then I would have answered more along the lines that there were members of the leadership I dislike. I can say now though that there is nobody in the leadership that I dislike. I feel I get along well enough with all of the leadership to do my job as a General and I'm mature enough to not let any personal issues I may have towards someone in leadership ( which I don't have ) get in the way of me doing my job as a General should I get promoted.

Edited by Blind
Small grammatical errors.
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey Blind, the OD fastest speedrunner through the ranks. I support your promotion to Brig. General but I do have a couple of questions and they will be hard for you to answer and answering these will probably not change my likeness, or my respect towards you but this is for other people who may or may not know you or of you.

What will you do differently now than you learned/mature from past occupancies of leadership? What will you do make sure that the choices in the past that you created for others and for yourself that weren't very popular for many people so they either won't happen and show others that you can be trusted with being a General? Do you think this will be your "redemption arc" for yourself and others despite most people do not know or remember these past choices and will you choose

What do you think about the future of the WoW division and as Brigadier General, how and why do you think being a brig. general will improve the WoW division and other divisions down the line that you end up playing or supervising?

The last 2 questions are for fun

Whats your favorite kind of Skooma and why?

Whats the unladen air speed of a swallow? African and European 😆

Edited by PureSkoomaOD

@PureSkoomaOD - Thank you for taking the time to clarify your questions a bit in discord voice. If I still understand your questions wrong please feel free to let me know and I'll try and answer better. With that said, I'm going to try and answer them with the assumption that I understood what you were trying to articulate on discord.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, PureSkoomaOD said:

What will you do differently now than you learned/mature from past occupancies of leadership?

Ultimately, the biggest thing I've learned over the years is when to step away and remove myself from something if I find myself getting heated. Now, this doesn't mean step away and give up, but it is perfectly acceptable to say I need some time to think about this and come back with a clear head. This was something I definitely knew back in 2015 with my last stay, but, honestly I had so many other things going on in my life at that time, that putting this mentality into practice at the time was just not at the front of my mind.

What will you do make sure that the choices in the past that you created for others and for yourself that weren't very popular for many people so they either won't happen and show others that you can be trusted with being a General?

Admittedly, even after talking with you on discord about this, I'm still struggling to understand what you're asking here. Are you able to clarify this one?

Do you think this will be your "redemption arc" for yourself and others despite most people do not know or remember these past choices and will you choose

I don't think this will be my redemption arc as I'm not seeking redemption. I fucked up in the past, it's been acknowledged, and it's time to leave it in the past. I do think this will be the time where I am able to best help shape and grow the clan in a more level headed and adult way. I have a lot more life experience under my belt now. I have a family, kids that have taught me a ridiculous amount of patience, a decade plus of experience of working with administration teams from various online communities.

What do you think about the future of the WoW division and as Brigadier General, how and why do you think being a brig. general will improve the WoW division and other divisions down the line that you end up playing or supervising?

I think at this exact moment the future of the WoW division is in flux. We're at a lull in expansion content due to Blizzard delaying the launch of the next raid tier. We have members in-game who have burnt out. We recently decided that to save the in-game guild from burnout we're going to acknowledge that we should take a month break until we get closer to launch and stop raiding, or really just cut it down to one day that isn't even mandatory. Doing this move is going to in the short term probably hurt our division numbers in the clan as I have a feeling we'll see some people DSL out, but ultimately this move will set us up to grow stronger in the future. By not burning our player base out now they are more likely to return later.

For the 2nd part of your question about how being a Brigadier General will improve the WoW division, it won't. I'm not limited by my rank to run the division. My limitation in running this division is the lack of direct support in regards to division co-leaders and the lower ranks in the division. I've begun working on this though by mentoring some up and coming members who have expressed interest in doing more.

Whats your favorite kind of Skooma and why?

My favorite kind of Skooma is a happy Skooma. I want to see you succeed in OD, and to do that you have to be happy. You don't have to LIKE everything that is done in the clan, but being happy helps you deal with the things you may not like as much.

Whats the unladen air speed of a swallow? African and European 😆

20 to 24 mph.