Jump to content

Zakspeeeed's 1st Eval - May 2021


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! 

 

My name is Zakspeeeed. If you do not know me, I am the Division Leader of the Halo division. I joined OverDosed fairly recently in January of 2020 as a member of the Halo Squad. I also play a wide variety of other games, my favorites being Gran Turismo, Ninja Gaiden, Trials, and Team Fortress 2. However, Halo will always remain one of, if not my favorite, franchises of video games. I have been playing Halo since 2010 with Halo 2, and have been addicted ever since.

 

My time in the Halo division is what has gotten me the most recognition. I haven’t changed divisions at all and have seen pretty much every current or former member that has come through here. In that timeframe, I have frequently hosted events, engaged with many different members of the community, recruited new people, mentored Jenkinns523(OD), Geordie(OD), SprucePumpkin01(OD), PureSkooma(OD), and many others, with those 4 mentioned being the leadership and backbone that keeps everything together. We have many more members rising through the ranks on their way to Officer, and I can’t wait to work with them too! The Halo division has not always been smooth sailing however, as we have experienced lulls in membership that were difficult to come out of, although we ended up being a stronger and more well put together group because of it. I also participate outside of the division, being a member of the Among Us squad and now an active member in the new Outriders Squad.

 

On the administrative side of things, I have been a part in creating the new Officer Meetings. While we have only had one official meeting, it’s clear that many of our Officers want to participate in this, as we’ve had many new active Officers come up to the plate to make a name for themselves. I have also engaged in many forum discussions here recently and commented on a few evals to ask some questions and give my support. I frequently promote people, mainly Halo members but also some people in the higher ranks.

 

My future plans in OD consist of maintaining membership in the Halo division and setting ourselves up for success in Halo Infinite. Right now, content drops in Halo: The Master Chief Collection are sparse and mostly consist of cosmetics, but hopefully with the mod tools coming soon we can pull a new kind of people into OD. I also plan on continued discussion in the forums and continuing to support the Officer Meetings however I can, as I believe we have a lot of good people in the Officer ranks who can really get stuff done when they put their heads together. Ultimately, my goal is to grow OD into supporting a wider variety of games, as that I believe is our ticket into the future.

 

Just so I cover everything, here’s a quick bullet list that runs down a good bit of what I do:

 

  • Run the Halo division.
  • Mentor new members into leadership.
  • Recruit and/or engage with new members.
  • Participate in other community squads besides my own (Among Us and Outriders).
  • Frequently engage in forum discussion in the Division Administration and Officers Only boards.
  • Help guide and give direction to the Halo division.
  • Assist in running the Officer Meetings.
  • Encourage members to vote and use the console in general.
  • Attend Admin Meetings consistently. I have only recently started to show up to Community Events, and plan to do so in the future.
  • Frequently communicate with other generals.
  • Helping members with technical issues or in-game issues.
  • Play Halo with other members at events and train other members to be better players competitively.
  • Resolve issues between members in a fair and efficient manner.

 

Whether I make Brigadier General or not, I will continue my path here at OD and will support the growth of not just Halo, but the community as a whole however I can.

 

Thank you for reading!

 

Zakspeeeed(OD)

 

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Zak, you have easily been one of my biggest influences during my slightly shorter time than yours in OD. From the great effort you put into events and division updates (especially but certainly not only last year), your persistence which I witnessed first-hand when Halo member numbers fell quite low, and being as available as you can to manage/support the Halo division, you have continuously helped inspire me to put in a strong effort myself. You’re both approachable and reliable whenever I seek advice/mentoring, and it’s been wonderful working with you as one of your co-leads over these past few months. I’m uncertain how busy things will get for me once I get work in my field; however, like I mentioned late last year in Halo leadership chat, I want to play at least some role in helping make our Halo community head into Infinite’s launch strong a reality (even if worst case I end up needing to step down from my position(s) for RL reasons).

 

As I said to you recently, don’t worry about trying to be the leader you were last year. Last year was last year, and you’ve clearly been making a comeback over these past couple months after noticeably lower activity late last year/early this year what with hosting Halo events again, being considerably more in-game with members on Halo, strong participation in the Division Admin/Officer forums as well as promotion board, and helping create/run the Officer Meetings among many other things. As most are probably aware, I rarely venture outside the Halo division + post on evals, so many others will certainly be able to touch on things with you outside Halo WAY BETTER than I could. Anyways, I’m confident you’ve got what it takes to become one of OD’s next Generals. I wish you all the best on Phase I, you’ll have my support in Phase II, and I’m eager to read your answers to my questions below. 🙂

 

  1. With Halo Infinite releasing this fall comes a huge opportunity to grow the now one-year-old Halo division and make it even more of a pillar of OD. However, I think it’s safe to say that at least some current as well as future members have little to no interest in Infinite and will stick with Halo: The Master Chief Collection and other legacy Halo titles. While Infinite’s still a ways off, what are your initial thoughts on how to go about catering to both the Infinite crowd and the MCC/Legacy crowd?
  2. For those unaware, the Halo division currently has the largest leadership team, with Raged, Spruce, and I being Zak’s three official co-leads, JD in an advisory administrator role, and Geordie and Skooma supporting the leadership/helping run Halo to the point where I personally consider both of them unofficial co-leads (I believe I mentioned this before at least for Geordie on one of his recent promotions, but I digress). Zak, what do you think is the ideal size for a division leadership team, regardless of its member count? Also, should co-leads have a specialization (e.g. events, recruiting, etc.) or should they be jacks of all trades?
  3. The Binary Rifle, the Carbine, or the DMR?
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Jenkinns523(OD) said:

Zak, you have easily been one of my biggest influences during my slightly shorter time than yours in OD. From the great effort you put into events and division updates (especially but certainly not only last year), your persistence which I witnessed first-hand when Halo member numbers fell quite low, and being as available as you can to manage/support the Halo division, you have continuously helped inspire me to put in a strong effort myself. You’re both approachable and reliable whenever I seek advice/mentoring, and it’s been wonderful working with you as one of your co-leads over these past few months. I’m uncertain how busy things will get for me once I get work in my field; however, like I mentioned late last year in Halo leadership chat, I want to play at least some role in helping make our Halo community head into Infinite’s launch strong a reality (even if worst case I end up needing to step down from my position(s) for RL reasons).

 

As I said to you recently, don’t worry about trying to be the leader you were last year. Last year was last year, and you’ve clearly been making a comeback over these past couple months after noticeably lower activity late last year/early this year what with hosting Halo events again, being considerably more in-game with members on Halo, strong participation in the Division Admin/Officer forums as well as promotion board, and helping create/run the Officer Meetings among many other things. As most are probably aware, I rarely venture outside the Halo division + post on evals, so many others will certainly be able to touch on things with you outside Halo WAY BETTER than I could. Anyways, I’m confident you’ve got what it takes to become one of OD’s next Generals. I wish you all the best on Phase I, you’ll have my support in Phase II, and I’m eager to read your answers to my questions below. 🙂

 

  1. With Halo Infinite releasing this fall comes a huge opportunity to grow the now one-year-old Halo division and make it even more of a pillar of OD. However, I think it’s safe to say that at least some current as well as future members have little to no interest in Infinite and will stick with Halo: The Master Chief Collection and other legacy Halo titles. While Infinite’s still a ways off, what are your initial thoughts on how to go about catering to both the Infinite crowd and the MCC/Legacy crowd?
  2. For those unaware, the Halo division currently has the largest leadership team, with Raged, Spruce, and I being Zak’s three official co-leads, JD in an advisory administrator role, and Geordie and Skooma supporting the leadership/helping run Halo to the point where I personally consider both of them unofficial co-leads (I believe I mentioned this before at least for Geordie on one of his recent promotions, but I digress). Zak, what do you think is the ideal size for a division leadership team, regardless of its member count? Also, should co-leads have a specialization (e.g. events, recruiting, etc.) or should they be jacks of all trades?
  3. The Binary Rifle, the Carbine, or the DMR?

Thank you for commenting Jenkinns. It has always been great working with you and I'm excited to answer your questions.

1. This is very much a valid concern. There's already a divide of people who like playing Halo Reach and 4 over the "classic" Halos, and now we're adding a whole new era to Halo with potentially radically different gameplay to the franchise. Typically, I like letting my members do whatever events they want. I learned that people like to play on their terms, so I'd encourage people to host whatever they feel like hosting. Maybe people will just do MCC customs when Infinite comes out while doing Infinite matchmaking, that's completely fine. Some people may not like to hear it, but what I learned is that if I want to see something happen I have to do it myself really. I cannot rely on others to carry out my ideas. Thankfully, we've set up a great system that allows players to host their own events very easily, so hopefully we can see a good mix between the two games; MCC and Halo Infinite.

 

2. Traditionally I've let in just about anyone who wants to be in leadership. Whether that was an events team or proper leadership, many people have waltzed in as Warrant Officers or even Enlisted and have done great work. The only sort of gatekeeping I do is waiting until someone is an Officer before I invite them into the Leadership Chat, and so far literally every Officer/Senior Officer/General involved in Halo is in that DM. There really isn't a hard cap on people being involved, but I think we have a good ratio of leaders to enlisted right now. However, one could make an argument for a maximum amount of people in leadership. I have seen so many Minecraft servers in the past invite in a ton of moderators to the point where the only active players left are moderators and up, so they sit with nothing to do. So, there can be a divide between moderators, our Officer-base, and helpers, our event hostees and trusted people who have been around awhile like Morgan, BL4CKCH4N, MilkGuy, Ghaznid, etc. As for specialization, you can specialize in one specific thing in my leadership as long as you're working with the vision of the entire group. If someone is constantly putting their foot down and going in the complete opposite direction to us, I'm going to consider not having them in proper leadership channels or try to look at it from their point of view to see if we can come to compromise.

 

3. I assume you mean the Lightrifle. Binary Rifle is that Forerunner Sniper that disintegrates people with a body shot.

The Lightrifle has the most kill potential out of all of them. DMR can be far too finnicky to work with in terms of landing shots compared to a burst weapon. I just like burst weapons more, and that's what the H4 Lightrifle does. No clue if the H5 version works the same way, literally haven't played that game in ages.

 

Hope that answers your questions. Thank you for commenting!

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Zakspeeeed(OD) said:

3. I assume you mean the Lightrifle. Binary Rifle is that Forerunner Sniper that disintegrates people with a body shot.

Yes, I meant the LightRifle my bad. You'd think with 1300+ hours on MCC alone I wouldn't mess that up lmao. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Zakspeeeed, with 4 eeees and no Vs. You have been an awesome officer and have demostrated prowess and have shown that you can be a proefcient officer. You have built the Halo division up and now have an awesome accomplishment of having a self sufficient division that will keep going. You have the support of others and you have ideas to make into results and you have helped people many times in your division. but,

You are being evaluated to become a  general. the bar is going to be raised extraordinary. You will have to think outside the box for some issues, you will also need to be more known, go to different divisions and get to know the other divisions and make sure they can rely on you to help when asked. I have questions to ask you.

 

How can you translate being a officer and division leader who have been dedicated into 1 division in helping others in the community overall?

How can you adapt to problems and situations in the future that your other generals are IA or Can't handle due to their lives?

What is an appropriate action when someone gets angry and starts being BM towards others when they have a bad day or stressful life situation and based on your choice, Why?

How will you use your general power to better the Halo division and other divisions in the future if you chosen to be a general?

Will you be able to divide your time between college, personal life and Halo all at once?

Do you believe that that your ideologies will be accepted among the Upper administration?

These last questions  are for fun

What is the air speed of an unladen Swallow?

What color is your favorite Skooma?

Can you fly a Train?

Can you drive a Plane?

How do you convert Fehrenheit from Celcius?

Note: there might be more questions from me in the future.

 

Edited by PureSkoomaOD
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

Zakspeeeed, with 4 eeees and no Vs. You have been an awesome officer and have demostrated prowess and have shown that you can be a proefcient officer. You have built the Halo division up and now have an awesome accomplishment of having a self sufficient division that will keep going. You have the support of others and you have ideas to make into results and you have helped people many times in your division. but,

You are being evaluated to become a  general. the bar is going to be raised extraordinary. You will have to think outside the box for some issues, you will also need to be more known, go to different divisions and get to know the other divisions and make sure they can rely on you to help when asked. I have questions to ask you.

Thank you Skooma for commenting! You're always great to have around and I'm glad you decided to throw your hat into the ring with questions. I definitely agree that the bar will be raised in the amount of effort I need to expend to properly fill my roll as a Brigadier General.

 

Quote

How can you translate being a officer and division leader who have been dedicated into 1 division in helping others in the community overall?

 

The experience I've gained working as a division leader has influenced me a lot as a person who's concerned mainly with the experience that our members have. I'm definitely in the thick of it when it comes to interacting with the community, most of my work involves our Enlisted members in Halo. So I think my next step is to try and interact with members of our other divisions. Perspective is a big part of being a great leader, and if I plan on being a "Gaming General" I better do my part by playing games and keeping the discussion on what our members see. When I can keep in mind the needs and wants of our members, I can effectively tailor my arguments around that specifically. Anecdotes are what I'm looking for.

 

Quote

How can you adapt to problems and situations in the future that your other generals are IA or Can't handle due to their lives?

 

This is a very open-ended question, as it really depends on the situation. I'd definitely go work with the Officer-base that we've built up. We've got a great stable of new Officers who want to do things within this community, including myself at the moment, and I think that I should take advantage of that regardless of if other Generals are IA or not. Again, perspective is key. I can't solve problems all by myself all the time, I certainly rely on others opinions to try and get new angles on a situation before I take action. Not everyone's opinion is equally valid, depending on expertise, but everyone has one regardless and it would be wise to listen to them.

 

Quote

What is an appropriate action when someone gets angry and starts being BM towards others when they have a bad day or stressful life situation and based on your choice, Why?

 

Talk to them. Remove them from the situation and pull them aside and just listen. People need to vent, and I try to be as open as possible when listening to people's problems. I vent about stuff all the time, why shouldn't others to me? Some situations I cannot relate to, like losing a job or getting evicted. But I will listen. If they don't want to cooperate however, I will simply ask them to leave and give them time to cool down before reaching out to them to try again. Members are people, and it's my duty to try and support them even if I don't have all of the answers.

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

How will you use your general power to better the Halo division and other divisions in the future if you chosen to be a general?

 

I honestly don't know the answer to this one regarding what direct powers I'd be given. I don't have a firm grasp on the full power of a Brigadier General, but I do know that in terms of the Halo division nothing would change. I would continue to guide the division to continued success by enabling our members to engage with the community how they want (as long as they're GM/not malicious) and support our members as needed. In terms of other divisions, it would be time for me to really take an active role in helping out leadership of other divisions however I can. Most have their affairs handled, but I will listen and comment on the concerns of members in other divisions. Some times I don't feel like playing games but want to talk in one of these channels, and that mindset would be the perfect time to engage with people I'm not familiar with.

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

Will you be able to divide your time between college, personal life and Halo all at once?

 

I will drop games and even go on IA if it comes to that in order to succeed in college. I'm spending money to go and learn about my future career and challenge myself, and I am not going to waste it. My main concern is procrastination which has always been a struggle with me in my schooling. Without it I'd guarantee be a straight-A student every single semester no question about it (not that I don't do well in school). Instead, I have to focus on improving my work ethic, and that mostly concerns schoolwork I don't want to do. I was recently faced with repercussions of my actions in getting behind and I realized that in order to counteract it I need to prime myself to work. Get in the mindset to get things done without anyone's help. It's a continual process, and I will commit myself to teaching myself the discipline needed to balance OD and school.

 

Quote

Do you believe that that your ideologies will be accepted among the Upper administration?

 

I'd hate to be hostile over disagreements in how we conduct business. Of course I think I'll be accepted, and if I'm not then I'll reach out and ask why. Maybe there's a piece of the puzzle I'm missing in terms of viewing things as a whole. I believe in vision, and if I cannot bring myself to align to the vision that is good for the direction of OD then I will need to adapt. If I refuse to adapt, then it is not in my place to be in leadership at all.

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

What is the air speed of an unladen Swallow?

 

Do you mean African or European Swallow?

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

What color is your favorite Skooma?

 

Whatever Sorenova uses.

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

Can you fly a Train?

Can you drive a Plane?

 

I don't have my pilot's license.

 

3 hours ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

How do you convert Fehrenheit from Celcius?

 

(x°C × 9/5) + 32 = y

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
Formatting.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Zak,

 

Thanks for putting up an eval.  It has been interesting watching you climb the ranks in what feels like a short amount of time.  There is no denying how involved you have been.  You have led Halo to becoming one of the biggest divisions in our community.  The group you have mentored are cut from similar cloth and appear to be future heirs of the clan as well.  Your input at admin meetings always has value and appears to be well thought through.  I have chatted with you a couple of times on Discord and you have always been friendly and pleasant to chat with.  It is apparent that many people in our community respect you.  I only have a few questions for you:

 

1.  What do you think is the best thing about OD?

2.  What do you see as the biggest flaw in our clan?

3.  In your post you mention resolving issues between division members.  Protecting the names of the innocent, describe a situation, how you handled it, and how it worked out.

 

Good luck on your eval.

 

Rick

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RadarRick(OD) said:

Zak,

 

Thanks for putting up an eval.  It has been interesting watching you climb the ranks in what feels like a short amount of time.  There is no denying how involved you have been.  You have led Halo to becoming one of the biggest divisions in our community.  The group you have mentored are cut from similar cloth and appear to be future heirs of the clan as well.  Your input at admin meetings always has value and appears to be well thought through.  I have chatted with you a couple of times on Discord and you have always been friendly and pleasant to chat with.  It is apparent that many people in our community respect you.  I only have a few questions for you:

 

1.  What do you think is the best thing about OD?

2.  What do you see as the biggest flaw in our clan?

3.  In your post you mention resolving issues between division members.  Protecting the names of the innocent, describe a situation, how you handled it, and how it worked out.

 

Good luck on your eval.

 

Rick

Hi Rick! Thank you for commenting on my eval. I'll answer your questions the best I can.

  1.                The community! The people here are the friendliest I have ever encountered during my years of online gaming, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I thought Team Fortress 2 was friendly, but OD has been nothing but welcoming and accepting of new players. The Halo division has become a home on the Internet for me, and for that reason I wanted to give back more and more as I spent more time in the clan. Without people like Jenkinns, Geordie, JD, Raged, etc. I wouldn't have stuck around. Our personalities here in the clan is our greatest strength.
  2.                The unwillingness/length of time to enact changes. Discord really shouldn't have taken as long as it did to implement, and our website is so incredibly outdated it becomes a hinderance yet we've stuck with the framework for all this time. I don't blame people for sticking with the website, considering that it's an incredibly powerful tool, but it ends up being archaic and finicky to use and yet it feels like we're only just now getting to solving that problem. If we want to adapt, we need to stop holding onto the nostalgia of past OD success and move forward with new experiences to offer our members. Otherwise, we may end up stuck on the same games for the rest of OD's existence. Even Halo runs that risk, all of our games do. Not every division will last, but we will pull people with fresh new ideas by targeting newer games as well. We need to be willing to take a chance, not every move will be a success. But we can learn from failure and come out of it better. Without that willingness to change, we will stagnate.
  3.                An incident that stands out to me that dictates how I conduct myself when resolving situations was back in July-August or so regarding two new members. One of these members was being purposefully disruptive and annoying, most likely trolling, during a matchmaking session the previous day. That member and another one who was present at that session were in an argument about the previous day. It was clear that this other member had taken the bait and our BM person was dragging them along. So I decided to get involved. I try to break it up, tell them to stop, but they didn't of course. I wasn't going to waste more time being nice, so I decided that to get their attention I needed to shock this BM member and overpower them. So I decided the best course of action was to employ swearing and caps. It did get them to shut up, and I was able to diffuse the situation from there. Later in the leadership chat, JD commended my ability to resolve the issue but warned me against using the language that I did. I may have resolved the issue quickly and taken that route on purpose, but my image really matters. I cannot let myself slip into that solution multiple times, otherwise that will be my reputation. From then on, I took more preventative measures and pulled aside members by themselves to resolve issues, understanding the issue from the core. An example being concerning a member recently who was being all around BM and going through some hard times. They and another member got into a scuffle, and I wasn't in the channel at the time. So I DMed both, heard both sides of the story, and decided on a course of action, that being to encourage the BM person to take a break and focus on what they needed to.

I hope that answers your questions, and have a good rest of your night.

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
I decided to come back and edit this to further show what I learned from that situation in July-August instead of just leaving people to assume that I did.
Link to post
Share on other sites

   I have been eagerly waiting for you eval for some time, and it has been on my mind for some time. I told you I will not make it a cake walk for this eval. 

 

   The Positives:

 

   You have build up a amazingly large and active division that has brought up many officers such as your self. Not only this, but even during your the time you were having low activity due to more important real life matters, your team carried on brilliantly. This is your crowning achievement. 

 

  Your team work ability is probably your greatest asset, you contribute heavily to any team as well as be able to listen and consider other options and ideas not of your own. 

 

   You have taken charge outside of your division in strides on the forums or officer meetings.

 

   You are inexperienced now, but you are very quick to learn, but this does not hold you back at all. I have seen you develope into one of the finest Sr. Officers I have seen in my time in OD.

 

  The Negatives: 

 

  Sometimes to me you do seem to get a bit disgruntled when someone may be "resistance to change." We both wish we can have change act quicker, but over time I learned that it takes time and sometimes there is reason why its slow for others to agree with it. As long as you continue to work with others dispite such disagreements then I think you should be fine.

 

  The biggest thing I find going against you at this time is your activity. You have done so much, but you did have a good long period of not being as active as you could be. My concern is greatly enhanced by the fact you will be going to college. 

4 hours ago, Zakspeeeed(OD) said:

I will drop games and even go on IA if it comes to that in order to succeed in college. I'm spending money to go and learn about my future career and challenge myself, and I am not going to waste it. My main concern is procrastination which has always been a struggle with me in my schooling. Without it I'd guarantee be a straight-A student every single semester no question about it (not that I don't do well in school). Instead, I have to focus on improving my work ethic, and that mostly concerns schoolwork I don't want to do. I was recently faced with repercussions of my actions in getting behind and I realized that in order to counteract it I need to prime myself to work. Get in the mindset to get things done without anyone's help. It's a continual process, and I will commit myself to teaching myself the discipline needed to balance OD and school.

I do not agree with this personally, as starting college for the first year or two is the most daunting and arduous journey in your life so far that will take so much of your attention that it will tire you out. I would rather not have another general take multiple long IA's that make people question if you can really put time into OD, or having you step down because you can balance it all. Your real life matters more than OD, and as a general you are being asked to donate more of that precious time to OD in extra meetings and forum discussions, and to me that is a disservice to you. I hope you will consider your future in this case, once you get settled in college and find balnce then I would feel more comfortable.  

 

   Summary: 

I honestly had a bit harder time finding many negatives, and a easy time with positives. Yet your upcoming journey through college has me concerned about your school, OD, life balance. For now I am leaning against you being a general for this reason out of respect, I want you to succeed. If it was not for that reason I would 1111% back you to be a Brigadier General. Know those are my observations and will be hoping you can bring confidence that you will be able to do what you have to do as a general, and still succeed in college.

 

     Questions:

 

  1. What do you see as your biggest flaw as a OD leader?

  2. What do you think would make you a valuable member if Sr. leadership?

  3. What are your plans for OD's future?

  4. Do you get frustrated towards those who don't see things your way?

  5. How would you feel if you do not become general? Will that affect your plans?

  6. What do you think you did to make Halo as successful as it is now?

  7. You mentioned wanting to start new divisions in the past, are you confident that Halo will still continue to thrive if you are no longer its leader? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just want to take a moment and clarify something that some may not be clear on. Zak is going up for 1* or Brigadier General. I have posted the Expectations linked in our guide to everything that was recently redone. 

 

Brig. Generals are specifically looked at as the Pillars of their Division and within the Community and are not exactly expected to be looked at to be branching out to the rest of the community just yet. This is something that if you look at the Sub heading for the Major and Lt. Generals you'll see they are more Community based where Brig. General is listed as follows. 

 

Leaders and representatives of their respective Divisions and pillars of their gaming community, providing for the members they are responsible for.

 

 

Please try to keep this in mind when posting here and evaluating Zak as his jump from Col. to Brig. is within these specific expectations. 

 

  

On 3/2/2017 at 12:37 AM, Terra said:

Brigadier Generals

Leaders and representatives of their respective Divisions and pillars of their gaming community, providing for the members they are responsible for.

 

Core Expectations

- Attends Admin and General-Specific Meetings*

- Votes (with reasons) on all General Evaluations

- Supports the needs of Clan members to the best of their ability

- Enforces Clan values and maintains a positive gaming environment

 

Practical Expectations

- Manage the needs of their Divisions and the members in it (Promotions, medals, recruitment powers, rank changes, etc.)

- Support their Division through consistent recruitment or events

- Actively involved in topics posted in the General's Board**

- Attends Community Meetings

 

Exceptional Expectations

- Presenting ideas or discussions of their own in the General's Board

- Taking the initiative to implement approved changes and turn ideas into reality

- Contributing in some form to the Clan as a whole, (monthly Clan-wide events or providing coding support for the website)

- A major contributor to the leading of a large division who recognizes, mentors, and provides opportunities for future leaders

- Votes on all major Community changes

*Exclusions apply for time zone conflicts

**Brigadier Generals are allowed to be exempt from discussions and voting.

 

Edited by JD(OD)
  • Clap 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zakspeeeed(OD) said:

Hi Rick! Thank you for commenting on my eval. I'll answer your questions the best I can.

  1.                The community! The people here are the friendliest I have ever encountered during my years of online gaming, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I thought Team Fortress 2 was friendly, but OD has been nothing but welcoming and accepting of new players. The Halo division has become a home on the Internet for me, and for that reason I wanted to give back more and more as I spent more time in the clan. Without people like Jenkinns, Geordie, JD, Raged, etc. I wouldn't have stuck around. Our personalities here in the clan is our greatest strength.
  2.                The unwillingness/length of time to enact changes. Discord really shouldn't have taken as long as it did to implement, and our website is so incredibly outdated it becomes a hinderance yet we've stuck with the framework for all this time. I don't blame people for sticking with the website, considering that it's an incredibly powerful tool, but it ends up being archaic and finicky to use and yet it feels like we're only just now getting to solving that problem. If we want to adapt, we need to stop holding onto the nostalgia of past OD success and move forward with new experiences to offer our members. Otherwise, we may end up stuck on the same games for the rest of OD's existence. Even Halo runs that risk, all of our games do. Not every division will last, but we will pull people with fresh new ideas by targeting newer games as well. We need to be willing to take a chance, not every move will be a success. But we can learn from failure and come out of it better. Without that willingness to change, we will stagnate.
  3.                An incident that stands out to me that dictates how I conduct myself when resolving situations was back in July-August or so regarding two new members. One of these members was being purposefully disruptive and annoying, most likely trolling, during a matchmaking session the previous day. That member and another one who was present at that session were in an argument about the previous day. It was clear that this other member had taken the bait and our BM person was dragging them along. So I decided to get involved. I try to break it up, tell them to stop, but they didn't of course. I wasn't going to waste more time being nice, so I decided that to get their attention I needed to shock this BM member and overpower them. So I decided the best course of action was to employ swearing and caps. It did get them to shut up, and I was able to diffuse the situation from there. Later in the leadership chat, JD commended my ability to resolve the issue but warned me against using the language that I did. I may have resolved the issue quickly and taken that route on purpose, but my image really matters. I cannot let myself slip into that solution multiple times, otherwise that will be my reputation. From then on, I took more preventative measures and pulled aside members by themselves to resolve issues, understanding the issue from the core. An example being concerning a member recently who was being all around BM and going through some hard times. They and another member got into a scuffle, and I wasn't in the channel at the time. So I DMed both, heard both sides of the story, and decided on a course of action, that being to encourage the BM person to take a break and focus on what they needed to.

I hope that answers your questions, and have a good rest of your night.

Zak,

 

Great responses.  Good luck on your eval.

 

Rick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zak,

 

You've been a person I can consistently turn to in OD, both with regards to gaming as well as admin support. Halo Division simply wouldn't be what it is without your input, which I think you do need to realise. You made a point the other day about how you need to "step up" and host more events - when the reality is far from that. You do a lot around here - leading Halo, attending meetings, keeping members in check, resolving issues, Officer meetings, Admin meetings, Forum discussions... I think the flaw I have to raise here is you seem to take a stance that what you do isn't good enough. 

 

I have a couple of Q's I'd like to run by you. Most have already been asked. 

  • Do you see yourself developing more of a Gaming General approach, or an Admin approach?
  • Are you happy with Recruitment within Halo right now?
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Zakspeeeed,

 

Got just the one question at this time:

 

Would you be willing to become a General Liaison to the officer meetings, someone from the General ranks who can take our concerns or questions and comment on them from a general perspective. It could be a boon to the officer meetings and would be a way for you to stay involved with them as they are still getting off the ground. I want to get your opinion and thoughts on this.

 

-Adam

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

   I have been eagerly waiting for you eval for some time, and it has been on my mind for some time. I told you I will not make it a cake walk for this eval.

 

Thank you Lightning for asking your questions. I swear I will get to them soon, after the Officer Meeting. There are seven of them you know. Skooma's took me a good 45 minutes to respond to.

 

11 minutes ago, Geordie(OD) said:

Zak,

 

You've been a person I can consistently turn to in OD, both with regards to gaming as well as admin support. Halo Division simply wouldn't be what it is without your input, which I think you do need to realise. You made a point the other day about how you need to "step up" and host more events - when the reality is far from that. You do a lot around here - leading Halo, attending meetings, keeping members in check, resolving issues, Officer meetings, Admin meetings, Forum discussions... I think the flaw I have to raise here is you seem to take a stance that what you do isn't good enough. 

 

I have a couple of Q's I'd like to run by you. Most have already been asked. 

  • Do you see yourself developing more of a Gaming General approach, or an Admin approach?
  • Are you happy with Recruitment within Halo right now?

 

Thank you Geordie for deciding to drop by with questions,

  1. Definitely going with a Gaming General approach. After all, that's kind of what I am already doing in a sense. In fact I fill out a good chunk of the responsibilities already expected of a Brigadier General. That doesn't mean I will be uninterested in administrative level stuff. The reason I want to be a General is so I can contribute to higher-level discussion. 
  2. Honestly, not really. I feel like we need to be doing more. Spruce is certainly doing his part and I have no qualms with his performance. But we need to start getting back into looking at Steam threads and the Halo discord again so we can try to pick up more members, as that's where our main audience is going to be. In terms of retention though we are doing fantastically, I wouldn't change a thing. For the future of the Halo division, I will be gearing towards amping up recruitment efforts.
10 minutes ago, SalinePandora(OD) said:

Hey Zakspeeeed,

 

Got just the one question at this time:

 

Would you be willing to become a General Liaison to the officer meetings, someone from the General ranks who can take our concerns or questions and comment on them from a general perspective. It could be a boon to the officer meetings and would be a way for you to stay involved with them as they are still getting off the ground. I want to get your opinion and thoughts on this.

 

-Adam

 

I really hate to do this, because it walks back on what was agreed upon in that initial Officer Meeting thread, but if you guys really want me there to support and pitch in then I will do so. But it will not be forever, eventually we will have to nail our formula and lay out a guide so that new Officers can quickly jump into the discussion. For the next Officer Meeting we will need to write some documentation while balancing out with any ideas we'd wish to propose on the boards. It's not that I want to wipe my hands clean of the Officer Meetings, I want to support them in whatever way I can, but we agreed that Generals would only be a spectator of sorts to judge the Officer-base and scout new leadership.

 

Also, thank you @RadarRick(OD). I will continue to answer as professionally and honestly as I can.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2021 at 1:04 AM, LightningWolves(OD) said:

   I have been eagerly waiting for you eval for some time, and it has been on my mind for some time. I told you I will not make it a cake walk for this eval. 

 

   The Positives:

 

   You have build up a amazingly large and active division that has brought up many officers such as your self. Not only this, but even during your the time you were having low activity due to more important real life matters, your team carried on brilliantly. This is your crowning achievement. 

 

  Your team work ability is probably your greatest asset, you contribute heavily to any team as well as be able to listen and consider other options and ideas not of your own. 

 

   You have taken charge outside of your division in strides on the forums or officer meetings.

 

   You are inexperienced now, but you are very quick to learn, but this does not hold you back at all. I have seen you develope into one of the finest Sr. Officers I have seen in my time in OD.

 

  The Negatives: 

 

  Sometimes to me you do seem to get a bit disgruntled when someone may be "resistance to change." We both wish we can have change act quicker, but over time I learned that it takes time and sometimes there is reason why its slow for others to agree with it. As long as you continue to work with others dispite such disagreements then I think you should be fine.

 

  The biggest thing I find going against you at this time is your activity. You have done so much, but you did have a good long period of not being as active as you could be. My concern is greatly enhanced by the fact you will be going to college. 

I do not agree with this personally, as starting college for the first year or two is the most daunting and arduous journey in your life so far that will take so much of your attention that it will tire you out. I would rather not have another general take multiple long IA's that make people question if you can really put time into OD, or having you step down because you can balance it all. Your real life matters more than OD, and as a general you are being asked to donate more of that precious time to OD in extra meetings and forum discussions, and to me that is a disservice to you. I hope you will consider your future in this case, once you get settled in college and find balnce then I would feel more comfortable.  

 

   Summary: 

I honestly had a bit harder time finding many negatives, and a easy time with positives. Yet your upcoming journey through college has me concerned about your school, OD, life balance. For now I am leaning against you being a general for this reason out of respect, I want you to succeed. If it was not for that reason I would 1111% back you to be a Brigadier General. Know those are my observations

and will be hoping you can bring confidence that you will be able to do what you have to do as a general, and still succeed in college.

 

Before we go into the actual questions, I just want to readdress the whole college thing. In three months, I will be taking the next step of my life. That's three months to get settled into my role as a Brigadier General. Granted that wouldn't be the only thing I'd be doing over the summer, but a summer job in my opinion is not as strenuous as schoolwork. Besides, I've had to already manage my time throughout my high school years and I'm only going to get better at it. I'm taking high-level courses in school, I have a pretty good idea of what the courseload is going to look like, and I wouldn't be involved in any serious extracurricular activities like in high school. If you ask me, my role in OD would barely change. I would be in more forum discussions and meetings, yes, but I wouldn't be taking on even more tasks than I already am. Remember, Brigadier Generals are meant to be pillars of their division, which I act as already.

 

So, onto the meat of this comment.

 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:04 AM, LightningWolves(OD) said:

  1. What do you see as your biggest flaw as a OD leader?

  2. What do you think would make you a valuable member if Sr. leadership?

  3. What are your plans for OD's future?

  4. Do you get frustrated towards those who don't see things your way?

  5. How would you feel if you do not become general? Will that affect your plans?

  6. What do you think you did to make Halo as successful as it is now?

  7. You mentioned wanting to start new divisions in the past, are you confident that Halo will still continue to thrive if you are no longer its leader? 

 

1. My biggest flaw is my indecisiveness. If I'm in a conversation and don't hear things 100% correctly, I will flip flop between two solutions until I get more clarification. Granted, I ask for that clarification, but I run the risk of getting off topic in a conversation if I'm not careful in how I speak and conduct myself. I want to be absolutely 100% sure of my opinion before I say something instead of giving a weak first impression, and that can show when I'm presenting my ideas. Also I'm quite a perfectionist. If something isn't going completely smooth with no issues, I'm going to step in and take care of it or mull about a decision to take care of it as best as possible. Sometimes, I need to just do something and try it.

 

2. My ability to listen and adhere to a single goal and vision. I like working with others, and I will get out of someone else's way if they have a good idea and people agree with it. I'm not going to usually die on a hill that I believe in and will compromise. I also represent one of our largest divisions, and thus a significant chunk of the population other leaders don't always have the chance to interact with. Filling that hole would make me a great asset to have in senior leadership.

 

3. My plan is to continue supporting the Halo division and helping it grow along with pushing for policy that makes OD easier to get involved in. For example, I'd push for more usage of discord announcements to advertise our squads and committees that people can join and get involved in. I'd also definitely consider hosting random contests that get people to interact with the forums more. Anything to encourage interconnection between divisions I'm all for it as long as it doesn't include assimilation of divisions or something radical like that. Divisions right now are too isolated, so we need to get the people who are interested in getting out of the comfort zone a chance to do something to hopefully create a trickle-down effect with interest in other members.

 

4. I can rant on and on about how I don't like something but in the end it's a bunch of hot air for the most part. I don't actually get as frustrated at people as I'd possibly suggest sometimes, in fact I find it pointless to be frustrated at someone for a difference of opinion. If someone in senior leadership had a different opinion to me, I'd ask them to elaborate on why they think they way they do. That's honestly the most interesting part of administration in OD, the differences in opinion and trying to forge one path out of it and get people on board. So simply, no I'm not really frustrated when things don't go my way. I just have to keep trying or start over with a new idea or angle on a situation.

 

5. My plans wouldn't change one bit. I'd still be going to Officer Meetings, I'd still be trying to grow the Halo division, and I'd still be pushing for what I'm talking about right now. The only thing that I can see myself changing is interacting in higher-level discussion, and if I don't get there that's okay. It's not like if I fail Phase 1 or 2 that all the generals I know will start to ignore me and I'm left completely in the dark as to what's going on. I'd be disappointed if I didn't make it, but I'd most definitely get over it. The people here are transparent enough to tell me why I shouldn't be a general. If I don't get the votes in Phase 2, perhaps it isn't meant to be yet.

 

6. Consistency and opening the division up for people to work in. I knew what I had at that point in low membership, which was a good stable of mainstay members and not a lot of Enlisted people. So, I simply just kept doing what I was doing. I intensely analyzed what gamemodes and activities people liked and didn't like and catered my events around that. I made it easier for people to join events using Halobase, eventually opening the doors to allowing anyone to host events. But when we started taking advantage of the events bot, I immediately recognized that this was the ticket to the future. Easy to create events, easy to host events, just absolutely incredible so I let people keep hosting their own events. That's what made Halo successful, we have this slow trickle of members coming in and it could be better, but the retention is high because there's always things for people to do. I literally let the division run itself and I coordinate the division leadership to reflect that vision. Giving people a chance is the best thing that ever happened to the Halo division.

 

7. Yes, 100%. You said it yourself, I was sort of inactive (didn't actually take an IA, just took a break while I handled school and recovered from burnout) but still chatting it up in channels. My leadership that I have built up along with JD and Raged have done a fantastic job running the show. Recently I said I'd have to take a break from gaming to keep on track studying for exams. They all said they had my back and were ready to help however they can. The Halo division is not the cult of Zakspeeeed. It has many different faces that people stick around for, and I'm thankful to have the people that I have.

 

Hopefully that answers all of your questions, and thank you for asking them! Was like running a marathon but in focusing.

 

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
Question #6, second sentence. Changed "leadership" to "membership". If anyone was misled, I didn't mean that there wasn't a lot of leadership in Halo at that time.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive first evaluation Zak.  For only being in the Clan for just over a year, you sure have made your presence known in a good way.  Kudos to you for all that effort.  You play many games which shows that you are versatile.  You also have your head in the right place, being strict that college HAS to come first before anything.

 

I noticed that you did a great job recruiting 11 members, but sadly like so many of our recruits, mine included, only 2 are still active.  What do you think you could have done differently to encourage those members to stay?

 

You consistently use your console to put members up for promotion and to vote on members, but I don't see any medals being awarded by you?  Is that something you aren't trained in or just don't believe in handing out?

 

You have been an instrumental part of a movement by officers to take a more active role in the Clan.  This can only make the Clan better in the long run.  Participation means interest, new ideas, a willingness to work together as a team.  I am a little concerned, maybe wrongfully so, but concerned that officers will think it is an officer vs. generals/commanders scenario.  What are your thoughts on that perception?  

 

I can only applaud the work you have done in the Clan and the loyalty you have shown.  I may have more questions as more members put their thoughts and questions on your evaluation.  Good luck!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Very impressive first evaluation Zak.  For only being in the Clan for just over a year, you sure have made your presence known in a good way.  Kudos to you for all that effort.  You play many games which shows that you are versatile.  You also have your head in the right place, being strict that college HAS to come first before anything.

 

Thank you Purplez! I'm glad that I'm making an impact here in a good way.

 

47 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I noticed that you did a great job recruiting 11 members, but sadly like so many of our recruits, mine included, only 2 are still active.  What do you think you could have done differently to encourage those members to stay?

 

I'm not sure if there was more I could've done in the moment. Jurr(OD) is an example that stands out to me as I actively tried to engage him in the division but ultimately he just lost interest. I feel that it was like this for many different recruits that we had in Halo around that time, we just didn't engage them enough for them to stick around because there wasn't much to do. Spruce and Raged have been on a tour de force in terms of recruiting though in the recent months while me and the others focused on retention so we have a good formula going that works for us, that being handing events over to the wider division for them to run for the most part (even if it is just a few guys in leadership and some WO's including myself, it's better than having one person run all of the events). Something else to note with our retention efforts is that for the past few months we have consistently stayed around 40-45 members.

 

47 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

You consistently use your console to put members up for promotion and to vote on members, but I don't see any medals being awarded by you?  Is that something you aren't trained in or just don't believe in handing out?

 

I blame Raged. Any time I'd remember to award a medal, he'd already done it. I eventually just gave up because he was so on top of things. Besides, our members I think feel valued because of the responses from other people. They don't really stick around to rise to the ranks, they mostly want to have a good time and even though I've posted about medals (the 0 DSL for a week straight one for example) no one has ever come to me asking for them. I assume they just don't want them, but I think I should start handing them out to our dedicated members like Ghaznid and Larixal. That way I'm not so overwhelmed by having to remember the achievements of 40+ people.

 

47 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

You have been an instrumental part of a movement by officers to take a more active role in the Clan.  This can only make the Clan better in the long run.  Participation means interest, new ideas, a willingness to work together as a team.  I am a little concerned, maybe wrongfully so, but concerned that officers will think it is an officer vs. generals/commanders scenario.  What are your thoughts on that perception?  

 

Believe it or not, I am concerned about this too. I go out of my way to tell people that this isn't an "us vs. them" situation. We are all on the same team and trying to make this clan a better place, so why get hostile with each other? If we send the wrong message, then we could be implying (whether by accident or not) that we are some kind of Officer uprising and that's not what's healthy for the community. Less drama is better for everyone, but for those who are interested in admin I absolutely believe in telling them that their voice matter and if we want to push for changes we need to have each others backs by developing the idea together. That is ultimately the core vision of the Officer Meetings: to develop and discuss ideas together and present them in an intelligent manner.

 

47 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I can only applaud the work you have done in the Clan and the loyalty you have shown.  I may have more questions as more members put their thoughts and questions on your evaluation.  Good luck!

 

Thank you, and for asking your questions. I'm immensely proud of what I have done to OD to make it an accepting place for gamers of all walks of life. That's something I unfortunately don't see in many Halo clans today, which is why I take the direction I do with the division.

 

Edited by Zakspeeeed(OD)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Haha doing the "bump and grind" to move this post up to the top!  

 

questions.thumb.jpg.24e3c2dde4b1b9980716b95b02569faa.jpg

I mean, as far as I know most people who don’t follow the Phase 1 start date have asked their questions. Eventually people will come back and drop their questions and stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...