Hello Everyone! Welcome to my 5th Evaluation.

I am currently up for eval to be promoted to Lt. General. I have posted the expectations for this rank so everyone may quickly read it prior to my eval. Thanks!

On 3/2/2017 at 12:37 AM, Terra said:

Lieutenant General

Strong administrative leaders that take an active part in discussions that involve Clan changes or improvements

Core Expectations

- Attends Admin and General-Specific Meetings*

- Votes on all major Community changes

- Votes (with reasons) on all General Evaluations

- Supports the needs of Clan members to the best of their ability

- Enforces Clan values and maintains a positive gaming environment

- Actively involved in topics posted in the General's Board

- Presenting ideas or discussions of their own in the General's Board

Practical Expectations

- Manage the needs of their Divisions and the members in it (Promotions, medals, recruitment powers, rank changes, etc.)

- Support their Division through consistent recruitment or events

- Attends Community Meetings

- Contributing in some form to the Clan as a whole (monthly Clan-wide events or providing coding support for the website)

Exceptional Expectations

- Taking the initiative to implement approved changes and turn ideas into reality

- Leading in some form to the Clan as a whole (monthly Clan-wide events or providing coding support for the website)

- A major contributor to the leading of a large division who recognizes, mentors, and provides opportunities for future leaders

- Leading Community, Admin, & General Meetings

*Exclusions apply for time zone conflicts

What have I accomplished since my last evaluation?

Some of my Current Goals

Spoiler
  1. Working on @Triny(OD) and @MelodicRose(OD) on the Medal Rejuvenation Project (Currently finishing Phase 1/Starting Phase 2)
  2. Finish out the Discord Guides for the General Section of the OD Acadamy.
  3. Continue to work with the community to get feedback on how to make our discord the best it can be
  4. Attend the Community meetings more regularly 

Some Goals from my Past Promotion(Where are they now?)

Spoiler

1. Social Media Integration 
    1. This has been a tireless task in finding the best way to integrate our platforms into discord. Currently I'm integrating Twitter,Facebook and Twitch via a combination of Zapier and a m336 bot. These Integrations seem to be working correctly at the moment. But I'm always looking for ways to improve the speed and accuracy that the posts are made and brought into our server. (On Going)
  2. Continue helping develop members of OD interested in becoming future leaders
    1. This is something I'm especially passionate about. I've been working with several members on their projects. Some more closely than others at times. I'm constantly looking to help develop members into the leaders they want to be and give them the tools needed to do so. (On Going)

Some Goals accomplished as a General

Spoiler
  1. Proposed the current expectations for Enlisted-Sr.Officer that was worked on by my fellow generals and put into place by the Administration team
  2. Enabled the Hidden Channel feature via a bot on our Discord so members can choose their OD Discord experience as they see fit. 
  3. Hosted Multiple Admin/General Meetings Including my first Evaluation meeting 
  4. Continued to participate in topics within the General/Officer and Division Admin Boards
  5. Continued to assist the Halo Division leadership as an Advisor on the Halo division on all Administrative topics that may come up
  6. Vote on all major community changes that have occurred while as a General (e.g. Rank Expectations, Changes to Evaluation System)
  7. Participates and voted on all Evaluations of my fellow Generals

What are your future goals for yourself in the community?

(Promoted or not)

Spoiler

To be blunt and keep it short. Whether promoted or not there's not much that will change for me. I will continue to try and give my opinion as unbiasedly as I can. 

I will continue to try and make sure that I watch over our discord. Continue to learn and grow the ways I am able to help with the ways we improve how we serve our community to our members via our discord experience. 

Whether this is finding integrations, pre-coded hosted bots. Or putting the time in to slowly learn to code what I need to learn to code a bot that can serve the purpose that is needed for the community.

Finally, continue to lie when I say I will keep things short. Because my name is JD and I love to talk so...suck it? ❤️  

The Church Of Baha

Finally everyone. I'd like to introduce you to my last section. My "church of @Bahafresh(OD)" For those of you who don't know many years ago one of the very first friends I made in OD was the one and only Bahafresh. 

He expanded my view on something that I had such a narrow one of until then for the most part. This would be the wonderful world of ANIME!

So with that being said. I'd like to introduce to you some of my favorite Anime of the season that Baha also happens to Enjoy so everyone can watch it and go have a conversation with the lovely man as he deserves to have people to chat with things he loves about. 

Jujutsu Kaisen Wiki | Fandom

Dr. Stone (Anime) | Dr. Stone Wiki | Fandom

Anime | Mushoku Tensei Wiki | Fandom

Edited by JD(OD)
  • Like 2

Well look at this, we got a eval from you now JD, I should count myself lucky to see it. I will not go easy on you, but your work is solid and you are on my top 3 generals/commanders for anything I need to discuss or a better understanding with. We also have worked together on a few projects and seen your start and ever climbing rise in OD. The last time I got to see a eval from you was 2017 and that was too long. Your work is without question and I have enjoyed working with you in the discord team. 

What I like.

1. You are quick to respond.

2. You are eager to help.

3. You are easy to work with and willing to hear out suggestions.

What I don't like.

1. You work your self ragged.

Questions.

1. How will you do better to achieve a better life balance that does not lead to burn out?

2. Do you ever feel like its hard to ask for help on projects?

3. Since your last eval, what is something that you think have done better?

4. What is your greatest flaw to you?

5. How have you grown as a person since we have last been together in OD?

6. What do you see as the biggest problem in OD currently as a whole?

7. What has been your greatest achievement in OD in your eyes?

8. What is a game that you and I can play together sometime?

We known each other for so long and its great to see you get a chance to grow even more.

• Hug 1

@LightningWolves(OD) Just want to let you know I saw your post and I’ll go to it as soon as I can. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

JD, JD, JD the unparalleled King of Discord.  You are quick to respond to any requests for help on Discord to some of us that haven't delved quite so deeply into the background.  I for one, just want it to work when I want it to work lol so I definitely appreciate your expertise.

One of the questions I asked Terra, I would also like to put to you.  This is a gaming community bottom line.  Sometimes it feels like we have become too fixated on the administrative side of things and you are up for promotion to a 3 star, which is even more administrative.

1.  Do you feel that the new rank expectations for officers are absolute or are there exceptions to when we as leaders need to look outside the box and say enough is enough.  This is a gaming community -- emphasis on gaming -- and shouldn't we put more emphasis on the gaming versus the administrative side?

2.  I know you are part of the social media team (I am too but just as a contributor).  Why has it taken so long to see any actual progress on the social media platforms?  I hear you talk about social media integration, but what does that involve?  What actual steps are you taking or exploring to get Overdosed.Net out there on what platforms?

1 hour ago, Purplez(OD) said:

JD, JD, JD the unparalleled King of Discord.  You are quick to respond to any requests for help on Discord to some of us that haven't delved quite so deeply into the background.  I for one, just want it to work when I want it to work lol so I definitely appreciate your expertise.

One of the questions I asked Terra, I would also like to put to you.  This is a gaming community bottom line.  Sometimes it feels like we have become too fixated on the administrative side of things and you are up for promotion to a 3 star, which is even more administrative.

1.  Do you feel that the new rank expectations for officers are absolute or are there exceptions to when we as leaders need to look outside the box and say enough is enough.  This is a gaming community -- emphasis on gaming -- and shouldn't we put more emphasis on the gaming versus the administrative side?

2.  I know you are part of the social media team (I am too but just as a contributor).  Why has it taken so long to see any actual progress on the social media platforms?  I hear you talk about social media integration, but what does that involve?  What actual steps are you taking or exploring to get Overdosed.Net out there on what platforms?

Purp,

First and foremost thanks for taking the time to post on my eval. I'm glad to see that you're still one of the first people that show up to mine. Nice to see you keeping that tradition alive. lol

But now to your questions. 

1.  Do you feel that the new rank expectations for officers are absolute or are there exceptions to when we as leaders need to look outside the box and say enough is enough.  This is a gaming community -- emphasis on gaming -- and shouldn't we put more emphasis on the gaming versus the administrative side?

I have a feeling my answer to this is not going to be exactly what you want. But that's ok. 

I'll try to break down my feelings on the Officer expectations by section.

I'm only going to go over the posted core expectations shown below as these are the minimum we expect these members to meet to keep their rank at this moment. 

Officer

Leaders within their division tasked with assisting their division and their fellow members as needed to ensure the growth of the community.

Core Expectations

- Participates In Division Administration

- Participates in/Assists Division Leadership

Senior Officer

Leaders within their division and the community tasked with assisting all members to ensure the growth of the community.

Core Expectations

- Attends Admin Meetings

- Participates on threads within the Division Admin/Officer Boards

- Able to manage member disputes with minimal assistance

Sr.Officer

It is of my belief that members within the Sr.Officer ranks are officers that has risen to a point within the officer ranks that they've proven that not only are they able to excel in one area or another. But to at least some extent manage both their gaming and administrative duties that are requested of them.

• Attending Admin meetings
    • While we're all adults with different schedules, living in different timezones etc... we can all try to set aside an hour of time to join a meeting even if it's just to listen from our computers/phone.
    • If unable join the meeting these members should at least understand what is going to be discussed at the meeting.
    • Provide input on the meeting topics
    • Provide a Proxy vote if they feel comfortable with their current understand of what's going to be voted on.
    • When the meeting recording is posted listen to the recording  
  • Participating in the DA/Officer Boards
    • I think it's just as if not more important for a member to participate in ongoing topics on these boards for multiple reasons
      • The more opinions we have on a topic usually results in the best conclusion for the community
      • This is doubly important for members who aren't able to attend admins meetings as much or at all due to restrictions
      • Yes sometimes there can be to many cooks in the kitchen. But if half our cooks never show up. How do we know if they can even make a meal or not?
  • Able to Manage member disputes with minimal assistance
    • A Sr.Officer over time should be able to build the following skills as an admin(hopefully)
    • Know how to de-escalate a situation
    • Know when it's time to escalate the situation to a General/Commander
    • Know how/when to use their admin powers to resolve a situation if/when needed

Officer

officers from how I see them are the members that have excelled within the community through one or several means to be recognized by their peers to be promoted. These members could be pillars of their game, squad, community team, project or a combination thereof. Usually they are a member with a centralized focus and we expect a little less of them and our expectations are more tied to them continuing their focus to keep strengthening the community in the area they are doing so.

Currently I believe the expectations we have for this rank are to stringent for what should realistically should be expected of them in order to be able to succeed. Thus I have proposed in a General Board topic on this subject the following changes to the expectations.

Core Expectations

- Participates in/assists in the following (e.g. Division Leadership, Community Team/Committee, Squad Leadership)

(Currently not an accepted proposal only just that. A Proposal)

Expanding the expectations in this manner allows officers who align themselves with the Community division with an administrative and casual gaming focus a path to shine. 

----

2. I know you are part of the social media team (I am too but just as a contributor).  Why has it taken so long to see any actual progress on the social media platforms?  I hear you talk about social media integration, but what does that involve?  What actual steps are you taking or exploring to get Overdosed.Net out there on what platforms?

My role on the social team has always been sorta a mystery and cloaked in the shadow it seems. So I'll illuminate what it actually is for everyone. 

My actual role within the Social media team is Back End Co-Lead.

When Rose and myself first got together to start to put together the team. We agreed that she would take the spotlight role of Main lead focusing on front house operations with the management of our social platforms/posts etc...

Where I would take a back end role as a leader and confer with her on membership requests to the team and help with IT stuff like joining our various available platforms to our discord to try and get more eyeballs on them. 

For those of you that don't know. The screenshot below if from our discord. It's the Social Media section that I built for the team/community where the integrations I put together from various bots/web services pull content from our Twitter, Facebook and Various Twitch streamers that we're currently announcing. 

9wBO70D.png

My role on the team is nor has it ever been to get our website of Overdosed.net OUT to platforms. But to get our Social Media platforms IN to our discord where all the eyeballs are the majority of the time. This is always an ongoing project as I'm always scrubbing the internet for a better. faster, more efficient way to do what I'm doing to best server the community. 

I recently purchased a class from Udemy on node.js so I can start learning the discord side of coding needed for integrations. I'm not the fastest learner so I'm doing things one step at a time. 🙂 

• Like 1

Oh snap! Well well! i got sooome questions for you mr.    😄

Questions :

1. What your favorite part of this clan ?

2. What is something that you dislike in the clan?

3. What are your weakness?

4. Hi, I'm Ashley And what your name? lol

You are  gonna do great!!

That's ALL! Thank you for your eval! ❤️ 

❤️ 

13 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Well look at this, we got a eval from you now JD, I should count myself lucky to see it. I will not go easy on you, but your work is solid and you are on my top 3 generals/commanders for anything I need to discuss or a better understanding with. We also have worked together on a few projects and seen your start and ever climbing rise in OD. The last time I got to see a eval from you was 2017 and that was too long. Your work is without question and I have enjoyed working with you in the discord team. 

What I like.

1. You are quick to respond.

2. You are eager to help.

3. You are easy to work with and willing to hear out suggestions.

What I don't like.

1. You work your self ragged.

Questions.

1. How will you do better to achieve a better life balance that does not lead to burn out?

We known each other for so long and its great to see you get a chance to grow even more.

Questions.

Answers

1. This has been something I've been playing given and take with something I accepted my first star and have talked about on basically all my evals since. I just make sure that when the scales start tipping to far one way I step back and re-evaluate. I did this most recently when I approached a commander and got their permissions to lower my admin duties for a few weeks until this past admin meeting. Now I'm right as rain again. 

2. 100%. But not because I'm selfish or I don't want to. Sometimes I get so focused on something I'm passionate about I forget there's other people to ask. This is why I started the Discord team and other things. I want to be better about this and I think my biggest success has how I've been able to slowly do less and less with the Halo division and be strictly an advisor now that they have such a strong leadership team. But It's ever a on going project to get better at.

3. Since my last eval I think I've gotten better at not bringing my emotions to arguments. I'm a very emotional person and this can be a problem when it comes to something I feel passion for when debating a topic. With much help from mentors in OD and from my wife I've gotten much better at this. But I'm ever looking to control this further. 

4. I refer you to #3. My emotions will always be my greatest flaw.

5.I once again refer you to #3. I can't stress how important it's been that I've been able to grow as a person in this area. This has not only helped me in OD. But in my personal life and professional. I can't thank everyone enough who's taken the time to help me understand and better myself in this aspect of my personality. 

6.Currently the biggest problem I see in OD is the level of inactivity within the administrative ranks. We have the few doing the job of the many and it's something as you know we're already all working on to address as a team. 

7.My greatest achievement in OD is going to be stupid. Nor is it fully mine and I won't claim it so. But it's the founding of the Halo division with @Raged(OD). Seeing a gaming division that I started on a whim with a friend I knew was an amazing recruiter. Several months into the division I needed to step away as the main gaming leader and we already had an amazing developing leader in @Zakspeeeed(OD) and a few others at the time. Zak accepted the offer to taken ownership of the division and I stayed on as an Administrative Advisor. Since then I've worked with the team and I've both seen and helped them grow some amazing officers. Halo has produced some quality members in it's now +1 year long existence and I can't be prouder of the work they've done. It may have started as my success but the leaders over in Halo that are there day in and day out are truly amazing and I'm so happy they still have me be apart of it. 

8. The simple question! lol. Once I boot Ark up again. I would happily have you come along for all the silly and life threatening adventures that awaiting the OD numbskulls. I excitedly await!

JD, I want to open with the simple statement that you have been incredibly supportive to me, listened to ideas and seen opportunities to grow both people and OD as a whole. I think the contribution you provide is invaluable.

The Positive

• Your cool, collected confidence and faith in process and knowledge is insane. I think I've heard you claim "I don't know" once - and it was immediately followed by "let me get xxxxx, they'll know".
  • You are always present. Always. Ever near. Ever watching. 
  • You see ideas and, whether you agree with them or not, push and find a solution, way to execute them, or at least trial the ones you are less sure of. Recent examples of this:
    • Translation bot. Executed in.... 4 hours, I believe?
    • The conversation lastnight with recruitment
    • Officer-only meetings and development
  • You will hand out praise and criticism constructively - never unwarranted, but never lacking where needed. 
  • Your mentoring of potential climbers in the group has been invaluable - myself included. You are always willing to support and grow people and help their ideas come to life.

The Potential Development

• Some people can be made wary by your confidence. Definitely a case of "when they get to know you" syndrome because I find you incredibly easy and open to talk to, but your name carries weight and I think people struggle to speak up sometimes in discussions, as you present your ideas in such a confident manner that they don't want to challenge or interrupt.
  • Soapbox - I know we had a laugh about this the other day, but it does feed into the above.
  • Task volume - I'm less sure about bringing this one up, lacking the context and information about the projects you are working on, but I get the sense that whilst you love working alongside people, part of you is happy to just own a project in its entirety rather than parting out and delegating for support. For example, writing out guides and reg's - could these be parted out to someone to simply write out once the framework and rough idea is set, rather than taking your time? Looking at your response to Lightning, you seem to acknowledge this in part.

You've already answered a lot of what I want to ask you, but I do have the below:

• With the change to have Admin and Gaming Generals, would you support this split rolling out further down to lower ranks, and why?
  • Do you have a specific tangible example (anonymously) of supporting a clan member to give them that step up to improve and shine?

50 minutes ago, Redvaine(OD) said:

Oh snap! Well well! i got sooome questions for you mr.    😄

Questions :

You are  gonna do great!!

That's ALL! Thank you for your eval! ❤️ 

❤️ 

For what it's worth I use the pronouns They/Them. I'm not the best at correcting people. Especially in voice/person. But I try. It's as awkward for me as it is the for person I have to correct 99% of the time. 

Questions :

Answers:

1. My favorite part of this clan is it's willingness to adapt and grow. Even if it doesn't happen over night. 

2. Something I dislike is how long somethings take in the community like our admin process. But I also secretly really enjoy it. But I'm can be a really impatient person at times. It's a work in progres... lol

3.Did I mention I can be really impatient? Also I touched on what I'd argue is one of my biggest character flaws in @LightningWolves(OD) questions regarding how I can sometimes let my emotions overwhelm and control my decisions. 

4. Hi, I'm JD! It's been a pleasure answering your questions! 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, JD(OD) said:

Questions.

Answers

1. This has been something I've been playing given and take with something I accepted my first star and have talked about on basically all my evals since. I just make sure that when the scales start tipping to far one way I step back and re-evaluate. I did this most recently when I approached a commander and got their permissions to lower my admin duties for a few weeks until this past admin meeting. Now I'm right as rain again. 

2. 100%. But not because I'm selfish or I don't want to. Sometimes I get so focused on something I'm passionate about I forget there's other people to ask. This is why I started the Discord team and other things. I want to be better about this and I think my biggest success has how I've been able to slowly do less and less with the Halo division and be strictly an advisor now that they have such a strong leadership team. But It's ever a on going project to get better at.

3. Since my last eval I think I've gotten better at not bringing my emotions to arguments. I'm a very emotional person and this can be a problem when it comes to something I feel passion for when debating a topic. With much help from mentors in OD and from my wife I've gotten much better at this. But I'm ever looking to control this further. 

4. I refer you to #3. My emotions will always be my greatest flaw.

5.I once again refer you to #3. I can't stress how important it's been that I've been able to grow as a person in this area. This has not only helped me in OD. But in my personal life and professional. I can't thank everyone enough who's taken the time to help me understand and better myself in this aspect of my personality. 

6.Currently the biggest problem I see in OD is the level of inactivity within the administrative ranks. We have the few doing the job of the many and it's something as you know we're already all working on to address as a team. 

7.My greatest achievement in OD is going to be stupid. Nor is it fully mine and I won't claim it so. But it's the founding of the Halo division with @Raged(OD). Seeing a gaming division that I started on a whim with a friend I knew was an amazing recruiter. Several months into the division I needed to step away as the main gaming leader and we already had an amazing developing leader in @Zakspeeeed(OD) and a few others at the time. Zak accepted the offer to taken ownership of the division and I stayed on as an Administrative Advisor. Since then I've worked with the team and I've both seen and helped them grow some amazing officers. Halo has produced some quality members in it's now +1 year long existence and I can't be prouder of the work they've done. It may have started as my success but the leaders over in Halo that are there day in and day out are truly amazing and I'm so happy they still have me be apart of it. 

8. The simple question! lol. Once I boot Ark up again. I would happily have you come along for all the silly and life threatening adventures that awaiting the OD numbskulls. I excitedly await!

I like your answers, but a few more things if concern is brought up by reading this. Even while having a discord team it rarely seems you offer much in the way to help. I understand where your passion comes in, but it would be nice to have least a list of projects you have been working on to at least look at.

Another concern is how often you seem to cling on to the Halo division.  I understand the pride in founding the division that was on of the rare cases of the founders moving on. Yet it does feel like you cling on to their success as your own instead of truely acknowledging and recognizing their success as their own. You mentored them and assisted in their needs becoming officers as I did as well, in the end it is truly their glory, your work has helped them get their.

Hopefully none of this feel like a personal attack on you, and this is to get a better understanding on whats going on and how to grow from here.

1. Will you try to share some of your work load with others?

2. What is your vision of OD for the foreseeable future?

3. How will you get us there?

4. What are some ideas of your that have been turned down?

5. What brutal criticisms have you been given that hits you hard?

6. Will you ever start another division?

7. Do you think that OD will last for another 10 years?

8. Will you be there to see it through?

9. What is the biggest regret you ever in OD?

10. Is there still a huge divide in OD over gaming vs administration and where do you see yourself?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

I like your answers, but a few more things if concern is brought up by reading this. Even while having a discord team it rarely seems you offer much in the way to help. I understand where your passion comes in, but it would be nice to have least a list of projects you have been working on to at least look at.

Another concern is how often you seem to cling on to the Halo division.  I understand the pride in founding the division that was on of the rare cases of the founders moving on. Yet it does feel like you cling on to their success as your own instead of truely acknowledging and recognizing their success as their own. You mentored them and assisted in their needs becoming officers as I did as well, in the end it is truly their glory, your work has helped them get their.

Hopefully none of this feel like a personal attack on you, and this is to get a better understanding on whats going on and how to grow from here.

10. Is there still a huge divide in OD over gaming vs administration and where do you see yourself?

"Even while having a discord team it rarely seems you offer much in the way to help. I understand where your passion comes in, but it would be nice to have least a list of projects you have been working on to at least look at."

In Early March in our Discord Team DM I announced I would be gathering and putting data like this out in the forum club. Shortly after I took my short Admin Hiatus where I stepped back from things that I didn't need to complete right away. The list of projects and such was one thing I left to be completed later. This is something I plan on working on in the coming weeks as I have some IRL responsibilities for work that I have to complete and is taking up a lot of my free time atm other than these evals. 

--

"Another concern is how often you seem to cling on to the Halo division.  I understand the pride in founding the division that was on of the rare cases of the founders moving on. Yet it does feel like you cling on to their success as your own instead of truly acknowledging and recognizing their success as their own. You mentored them and assisted in their needs becoming officers as I did as well, in the end it is truly their glory, your work has helped them get their."

First off, this is an eval and it's meant to be a review by my peers. It's all honest feed back and purely your opinions based on my body of work since my last eval and your experiences with me. So there's 0 reason for me to be upset over you just giving me your thoughts on the subject matter at hand. I respect the fact that you're so willing to do so. 

To address your concern for how I as you say "cling" to the Halo Division.

While It is true In my past 3 Evals I have cited the Halo division at one point or another. In my past 2 It more in a more working capacity as to what I was doing in it to further push myself towards a promotion while still doing my best to credit the other leaders.

Where now I did my best to answer your question of "What has been your greatest achievement in OD in your eyes?". To some or maybe many this may in fact me be clinging to a division I no longer truly belong to in any fashion other than in a Advisory Role. 

But I simply claim it as my greatest achievement as it's something that I did as in the past. I did in fact found the Division along side Raged as my Co-lead. Who did in fact do the lion shares of the recruiting while I managed the administrative tasks not that I didn't consult with him before we did things. It's just how we split our tasks because he liked and was good at one and I the other. 

As time went on I enjoyed spending less and less time playing the game myself and shooters in general for multiple reasons. So ~7 months into the divisions lifespan the Baton was passed onto Zakspeed and I ensured him I would be around to support him as he truly continued to be a good division leader. Eventually Halo grew into a stable and blossoming Division under his and his teams care and my role was less and less needed. 

As someone that's tried their hand at several attempts of making a game a success in OD and failing. Being apart of the creation of what is now one of our staple divisions in 2021 means a lot to me. 

I can no longer claim Halo as my main game or "my" division. Not that it was ever "my" division to begin with. But I will always be proud of what I helped achieve here. Which as of right now fits my bill for "my greatest achievement in OD"

Would someone have eventually made a Halo division? Would it have ended up the same way? I don't know. But history is history and I'm very proud of my part in helping create the division that Halo eventually became today and playing even a small part in helping mold the Officers/leaders over there.  

Anyway, I've beaten the horse to death and buried it outback Hopefully this addresses your concerns in this matter and makes sense because I've re-written this 3x and this is the best I got... 😆

---

Questions

Answers

1. 1000% I've actually already started doing so in some regard. I will more when I finally am able to build the list of current/upcoming projects etc... for the discord team in the club. Then it's up to the team to pick up the load.

2. My vision of OD is one where all our platforms are ultimately integrated into discord so the members who don't want to won't ever have to leave the discord. 

3. Part of this is already done. With the recruit bot and the DSL bot and our social integrations. The plan is to keep building and implementing integrations to pull more and more data that a member would want to see so unless you're an admin there's almost no reason to leave. 

4. General/Officer Mentor Program, Forum/discord integration. just to name a couple. 

5. To answer your question I'm going to quote two of the hardest questions and pieces of criticism I had to answer on an eval since I started doing them. 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:12 AM, Aerineth(OD) said:

First Question: You're good at taking the initiative and jumping into a problem and begin to work towards a solution. But when it comes to presenting ideas, there leaves some room for improvement. Some of your responses can be long winded and not very concise. While you have valid ideas, it can be lost in the long winded explanation of why we need something, or why we should look into making a change. How do you plan on addressing this and improving this skill?

Second Question: There are times when you can be hyper critical of a decision made or an action taken by another member. There are other times where some of the paths you talk about taking are very hostile. While much of this has been privately or in one on one discussions with me, it does raise a concern. There are times someone makes a mistake, or times when things don't always line up properly. But addressing the issue, even if just by frustration, with a sense of hostility doesn't present that clear of a head. While the decisions you actually take, and actually put forth are solid, you sometimes need to delay presenting those because I think you fixate on the negative of the problem and/or perhaps even brood a little on that negative. What steps would you take to ensure that this is not an issue? Do you even feel it is an issue? And lastly, how do you personally feel about how you've approached situations (regardless of the end result) as a self reflection.

6. I don't know if I will ever start another division. But I know know the future. I know for certain that I won't ever be the main founder of another division. I don't enjoy the stress that comes from being the main leader of a division. 

7. Honestly, It's very possible that OD could last even longer than that as long as the community continues to evolve and grow with the needs of its members. 

8. As long as I continue to have the time and I still have friends to play with in OD I don't see why I can't stick around. I at least can say I have no plans on leaving.

9. If I'm honest. One of my biggest regrets I have in OD agreeing to become a leader in a former division at the request of a former General. Neither the Division nor General are still here so I shan't speak ill of them directly. 

10. I would say the divide does still exist. At least to some extent. But we're doing our best to make sure that both Gaming and Admin leaders have path forwards to shine.  I myself am and probably always will be on the admin side of things. It's just what I enjoy doing beyond the casual gaming. 

Edited by JD(OD)
2 hours ago, Geordie(OD) said:

JD, I want to open with the simple statement that you have been incredibly supportive to me, listened to ideas and seen opportunities to grow both people and OD as a whole. I think the contribution you provide is invaluable.

The Positive

• Your cool, collected confidence and faith in process and knowledge is insane. I think I've heard you claim "I don't know" once - and it was immediately followed by "let me get xxxxx, they'll know".
  • You are always present. Always. Ever near. Ever watching. 
  • You see ideas and, whether you agree with them or not, push and find a solution, way to execute them, or at least trial the ones you are less sure of. Recent examples of this:
    • Translation bot. Executed in.... 4 hours, I believe?
    • The conversation lastnight with recruitment
    • Officer-only meetings and development
  • You will hand out praise and criticism constructively - never unwarranted, but never lacking where needed. 
  • Your mentoring of potential climbers in the group has been invaluable - myself included. You are always willing to support and grow people and help their ideas come to life.

The Potential Development

• Some people can be made wary by your confidence. Definitely a case of "when they get to know you" syndrome because I find you incredibly easy and open to talk to, but your name carries weight and I think people struggle to speak up sometimes in discussions, as you present your ideas in such a confident manner that they don't want to challenge or interrupt.
  • Soapbox - I know we had a laugh about this the other day, but it does feed into the above.
  • Task volume - I'm less sure about bringing this one up, lacking the context and information about the projects you are working on, but I get the sense that whilst you love working alongside people, part of you is happy to just own a project in its entirety rather than parting out and delegating for support. For example, writing out guides and reg's - could these be parted out to someone to simply write out once the framework and rough idea is set, rather than taking your time? Looking at your response to Lightning, you seem to acknowledge this in part.

You've already answered a lot of what I want to ask you, but I do have the below:

• With the change to have Admin and Gaming Generals, would you support this split rolling out further down to lower ranks, and why?
  • Do you have a specific tangible example (anonymously) of supporting a clan member to give them that step up to improve and shine?

"With the change to have Admin and Gaming Generals, would you support this split rolling out further down to lower ranks, and why?"

I touched on this with my answer to purple about how I think the Officer ranks expectations is a bit to stringent and doesn't allow community based officers that want to focus on things outside of a division the ability to shine. 

4 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

Currently I believe the expectations we have for this rank are to stringent for what should realistically should be expected of them in order to be able to succeed. Thus I have proposed in a General Board topic on this subject the following changes to the expectations.

Core Expectations

- Participates in/assists in the following (e.g. Division Leadership, Community Team/Committee, Squad Leadership)

(Currently not an accepted proposal only just that. A Proposal)

"Do you have a specific tangible example (anonymously) of supporting a clan member to give them that step up to improve and shine?"

Being known as the main steward of our Discord. It's not uncommon for members who are looking to help out in the community like I have. I've done my best with several of these members to understand where their skills are and point them in the right direction to on how they can help. Bring them into what I am doing as much as I can and give them the best possible chance to earn the ability to do more in the community. 

There's been some success with this. With some members being incredibly independent with their own projects within the scope of what they can do. Others often wait on me to figure out how they can best help at any given time which is a great help in and of itself and I've rewarded members in both scenarios as appropriate with medals/promotions.  

Hello JD, I have 3 categories here, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The Ugly (questions) i am requesting your answer

The Good:

• You are organized, informative and very reliable person,
  • You assist everyone no matter how urgent it is and you make sure the discord is up and running
  • You are very charismatic and you think before you speak and you lead more by example.
  • You are very friendly
  • You run the community sector of OD with an iron-fist.

The Bad:

• You are too reliable
  • You need to maybe delegate or have assistants to help you, you have senior officers picking their noses in the corner, make an IT squad.
  • You do too much, take a breather lol.
  • I do not know you, like Terra or Aerineth, You are shrouded with mystery, is there way to let people who you are, Its not just you, its the commanders as well that I feel are "the shrouded silhouette that only reveals themselves if something urgent or you get into higher administration type ordeal"

The Ugly:

• How do you think the officers should be more organized and more helpful in general?
  • Do you think that a "Know your current Leadership" page should be made that allows you to express who you are on the Overdosed Community Website and allows the enlisted, warrant officers and new Officers, Who you are in OD, what you currently do? whats your goals, wants, expectations,
  • Do you believe that OD is going in a certain direction? good?, bad?, sloped upwards? sloped downwards? or any direction whats so ever?
  • Do you want to run another division again or be strictly a community general?
  • How do you like the current squad and division system at this current moment, what are your gripes, praises about it?
  • Do you think that people believe in their leadership in OD, Do you think that they have what the currently wants overall? If so, how and why? and not, how and why ? and how do you think if that should change or not?
  • what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
  • What is the best Skooma? Red or Blue or Green or what ever color is your favorite?
  • How do you sleep at night knowing that OD will be gone eventually?, You don't have to answer this if you don't want to.
  • How bad does these colors and fonts mess with you? if they do?
Edited by PureSkoomaOD
18 minutes ago, PureSkoomaOD said:

Hello JD, I have 3 categories here, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The Ugly (questions) i am requesting your answer

The Good:

• You are organized, informative and very reliable person,
  • You assist everyone no matter how urgent it is and you make sure the discord is up and running
  • You are very charismatic and you think before you speak and you lead more by example.
  • You are very friendly
  • You run the community sector of OD with an iron-fist.

The Bad:

• You are too reliable
  • You need to maybe delegate or have assistants to help you, you have senior officers picking their noses in the corner, make an IT squad.
  • You do too much, take a breather lol.
  • I do not know you, like Terra or Aerineth, You are shrouded with mystery, is there way to let people who you are, Its not just you, its the commanders as well that I feel are "the shrouded silhouette that only reveals themselves if something urgent or you get into higher administration type ordeal"

The Ugly:

• How do you think the officers should be more organized and more helpful in general?
  • Do you think that a "Know your current Leadership" page should be made that allows you to express who you are on the Overdosed Community Website and allows the enlisted, warrant officers and new Officers, Who you are in OD, what you currently do? whats your goals, wants, expectations,
  • Do you believe that OD is going in a certain direction? good?, bad?, sloped upwards? sloped downwards? or any direction whats so ever?
  • How do you like the current squad and division system at this current moment, what are your gripes, praises about it?
  • Do you think that people believe in their leadership in OD, Do you think that they have what the currently wants overall? If so, how and why? and not, how and why ? and how do you think if that should change or not?
  • What is the best Skooma? Red or Blue or Green or what ever color is your favorite?
  • How do you sleep at night knowing that OD will be gone eventually?, You don't have to answer this if you don't want to.
  • How bad does these colors and fonts mess with you? if they do?2

LIGHTNING ROUND(...no pun intended) HERE WE GO!

• Honestly, I think you guys have been doing an amazing job with organizing with starting an Officer led meeting. This gives you guys a great chance to bring together officers that might not normally work together and bring ideas to the table that might not surface in our monthly admin meeting 
    • I think a Know your current leadership page could be incredibly useful for new members to get a quick understanding on who runs each area of the community. But who to go to in order to involve themselves in something they have a mutual interest in possibly.
    • I think that OD is currently going in a good direction slowly but surely. I would not say that quick and progress are two words I would generally put together when it comes to OD and the admin team. lol
    • I can't say whether or not I will ever hold a leadership role within a division again. But I will never look to be the founder of a division again. I'm at the point in my life where I enjoy being a casual gamer and moving from game to game every few months,weeks, and sometimes days. But nothing is ever off the table. 
    • I think squads themselves serve their purpose but need to be better maintained and watched so they don't become clutter when they end up inactive
    • I think divisions serve their purpose obviously we're a gaming community. but their strict structure and requirements to upkeep them always end up stressing me out. It's why I enjoy the more casual style of gaming I enjoy in OD right now. 
    • I can't say I have any ideas on how to improve either of these systems at the moment. 
    • Based on my experience and conversations with members in the community. I think that the majority of our members believe and trust in the leadership of our community. I know that some members over the past year or two have shown concern over the inactivity of some of our leaders. But this is something we're looking to address and continue to promote and aware the active leaders into the appropriate roles. 
    • about 24 miles per hour (I googled this) 

• Clearly Redwater Skooma
    • Usually with having to get up multiple times to use the restroom depending on what I've had to eat. 
  • How bad does these colors and fonts mess with you? if they do?2
    • They're fine. You should go look at my 3rd eval. Lots of colors. lol

18 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

Second Question: There are times when you can be hyper critical of a decision made or an action taken by another member. There are other times where some of the paths you talk about taking are very hostile. While much of this has been privately or in one on one discussions with me, it does raise a concern. There are times someone makes a mistake, or times when things don't always line up properly. But addressing the issue, even if just by frustration, with a sense of hostility doesn't present that clear of a head. While the decisions you actually take, and actually put forth are solid, you sometimes need to delay presenting those because I think you fixate on the negative of the problem and/or perhaps even brood a little on that negative. What steps would you take to ensure that this is not an issue? Do you even feel it is an issue? And lastly, how do you personally feel about how you've approached situations (regardless of the end result) as a self reflection.

I have to ask about what kind of hostile mindset was going through your head? Do you still get frustrated in this extent anymore? I have felt very angry about things before with a few close people in my life (OD and IRL) helping me understand to let things go and not dwell for too long. I do relate to this in someways, and if its something that is best kept private I understand, just hoping to get some insight. 

18 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

First Question: You're good at taking the initiative and jumping into a problem and begin to work towards a solution. But when it comes to presenting ideas, there leaves some room for improvement. Some of your responses can be long winded and not very concise. While you have valid ideas, it can be lost in the long winded explanation of why we need something, or why we should look into making a change. How do you plan on addressing this and improving this skill?

Since you were asked this question, how do you think you have done addressing this issue?

Also a few more questions?

1. What are your hobbies outside of OD?

2. What is your favorite drink?

3. Who is the most influential person to you since your time in OD?

4. How does it feel to be one of the few generals who made it to their current rank more than once?

5. What is the biggest obstical for you in OD?

7 minutes ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

I have to ask about what kind of hostile mindset was going through your head? Do you still get frustrated in this extent anymore? I have felt very angry about things before with a few close people in my life (OD and IRL) helping me understand to let things go and not dwell for too long. I do relate to this in someways, and if its something that is best kept private I understand, just hoping to get some insight. 

I would often and sometimes still get frustrated with people for not understanding things that I think they should be able to do. Or not understanding something from a viewpoint that I think is obvious. I've gotten much better about keeping these thoughts to myself or simply not feeling this way and using coping skills to help resolve the issue rather then stew in my annoyance. 

12 minutes ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Since you were asked this question, how do you think you have done addressing this issue?

This is an on going process. I've taken steps to try and address topics, questions etc.. differently with varying success. Grammar is something I struggle with so I have a hard time with this as a whole. I was never great at this in school. But I do my very best to try and stop myself from rambling and get my point across clearly. 

---

19 minutes ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Also a few more questions?

1. What are your hobbies outside of OD?

2. What is your favorite drink?

3. Who is the most influential person to you since your time in OD?

4. How does it feel to be one of the few generals who made it to their current rank more than once?

5. What is the biggest obstical for you in OD?

1. I like to read, binge watch tvs and movies 

2. I love cream soda

3. Terra

4.Well, idk. Because I didn't. I made it to 1 star twice. But this is my first time being a 2 star. But I suppose it feels good being a 2 star. I'm not going to say recognition feels bad. lol

5. One of the largest obstacles that has existed for me in OD has always been the expectation that I needed to be a major leader/player within a division to be seen as successful and be successful as a lower ranking General. Making someone like myself that prefers Admin work with a casual focus on gaming harder to climb the ranks. 

JD,

You are definitely a busy little beaver.  You have done tons with Discord and crazy busy on the forums.  No one could ever question your drive.   

My questions to you:

1.  What drives you the craziest about how our clan works/operates?

2.  Do you perceive friction between community and divisional leaders?  If so, how would you suggest we bridge that gap?

3.  What game do you play most often?

4.  Do you feel our rank structure has more benefits than the traditional admin/assistants adopted by most websites/communities?

5.  What do you feel is the most important trait of a leader?

6.  In your opinion, what makes our clan fun?

Thanks for the eval.  Good luck!    

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RadarRick(OD) said:

JD,

You are definitely a busy little beaver.  You have done tons with Discord and crazy busy on the forums.  No one could ever question your drive.   

My questions to you:

1.  What drives you the craziest about how our clan works/operates?

2.  Do you perceive friction between community and divisional leaders?  If so, how would you suggest we bridge that gap?

3.  What game do you play most often?

4.  Do you feel our rank structure has more benefits than the traditional admin/assistants adopted by most websites/communities?

5.  What do you feel is the most important trait of a leader?

6.  In your opinion, what makes our clan fun?

Thanks for the eval.  Good luck!    

1. I think the that that drives me the most bonkers about how OD works sometimes is just how slow sometimes we are to do things as leaders. We've gotten so much better at this in the past year or so. But it's always been a painfully slow process to try and introduce and put through new proposals that affect the community on a large scale. Like the evaluation system for example. Even though I was not apart of that process. I understand it was many long meetings. Topics and took a while before everyone was on the same page.

2. I do think that there's some friction that goes both ways. Gaming leaders I think at times wish community leaders contributed more to the gaming side of the community and vise versa. But all of our contributions are important to the success and survival of the community going forward. I think we're already starting to Bridge this gap by lessening the need for gaming leaders to perform certain admin tasks while still leaving an avenue to admin leaders to shine with less of a gaming focus. Thus creating two distinct avenues for a path in leadership in the community so regardless of what you enjoy doing you can contribute.

3. I don't really have an answer for this just because of the nature of how I play games so casually. I constantly pick up and put down games and move from one to the other. Right now I'm currently playing a handful of games on my Nintendo Switch. But will eventually be diving into a long playthrough of the next DLC run of Ark with the peep in the Gamers Lounge and several others who I've talked who with said they want to join. 

4. I think that our current rank structure does allow us to divide the community into the pure gamers and administrative team. With the number of ranks it allows us to reward our members for their contributions and properly distribute levels of responsibility across the admin team as members continue to show their interest and skills as leaders. 

5. As this is my opinion this is going to vary from person to person. But I personally look for the ability to listen and make unbiased judgments carefully as an important trait. While this is not super common and almost all people unconsciously have bias on topics, people etc... The people who are able to learn to set their bias aside and make a judgement on the pure facts in front of them is what I strive for. I think we have and have had some leaders that already are capable of doing this to at least some degree such as Terra, Tris, and Triny as examples. 

6. I think what makes our clan fun is that our members are so welcoming. You can walk into any of our channels and start a chat and find yourself continuing that chat 5 hours later. Or asking to find someone to play a new game with and 5 months later you've made a new friend that you now talk to every day. The fun in our community is that you can come here and just not have to worry about the world for a while and just meet cool people and sometimes make some really amazing friends along the way. 

2 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

1. I think the that that drives me the most bonkers about how OD works sometimes is just how slow sometimes we are to do things as leaders. We've gotten so much better at this in the past year or so. But it's always been a painfully slow process to try and introduce and put through new proposals that affect the community on a large scale. Like the evaluation system for example. Even though I was not apart of that process. I understand it was many long meetings. Topics and took a while before everyone was on the same page.

2. I do think that there's some friction that goes both ways. Gaming leaders I think at times wish community leaders contributed more to the gaming side of the community and vise versa. But all of our contributions are important to the success and survival of the community going forward. I think we're already starting to Bridge this gap by lessening the need for gaming leaders to perform certain admin tasks while still leaving an avenue to admin leaders to shine with less of a gaming focus. Thus creating two distinct avenues for a path in leadership in the community so regardless of what you enjoy doing you can contribute.

3. I don't really have an answer for this just because of the nature of how I play games so casually. I constantly pick up and put down games and move from one to the other. Right now I'm currently playing a handful of games on my Nintendo Switch. But will eventually be diving into a long playthrough of the next DLC run of Ark with the peep in the Gamers Lounge and several others who I've talked who with said they want to join. 

4. I think that our current rank structure does allow us to divide the community into the pure gamers and administrative team. With the number of ranks it allows us to reward our members for their contributions and properly distribute levels of responsibility across the admin team as members continue to show their interest and skills as leaders. 

5. As this is my opinion this is going to vary from person to person. But I personally look for the ability to listen and make unbiased judgments carefully as an important trait. While this is not super common and almost all people unconsciously have bias on topics, people etc... The people who are able to learn to set their bias aside and make a judgement on the pure facts in front of them is what I strive for. I think we have and have had some leaders that already are capable of doing this to at least some degree such as Terra, Tris, and Triny as examples. 

6. I think what makes our clan fun is that our members are so welcoming. You can walk into any of our channels and start a chat and find yourself continuing that chat 5 hours later. Or asking to find someone to play a new game with and 5 months later you've made a new friend that you now talk to every day. The fun in our community is that you can come here and just not have to worry about the world for a while and just meet cool people and sometimes make some really amazing friends along the way. 

All solid answers.  I especially agree with #2.  I think for the success of our community we need a strong combination of admin oriented and gaming oriented generaIs.  I look forward to our future adventures together.

• Clap 1
On 7/19/2017 at 5:36 PM, Dave(OD) said:

you do have the drive , but as of now i cannot support your bid for general , due to many times that you have taken a stand and refused to change you mind even when a alternate solution is more viable. and you do circle debates which i do not like.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:13 PM, Tris(OD) said:

Xayj, I was on the fence with your promotion. I really don't know what to do. I was really highly anticipating getting a more specific situation from Dave regarding his dissatisfaction regarding how you handle situations. However, he did not really give a prime example which, in my opinion, nulls that argument yet I get the same vibe from time to time without being able to put my finger on a very specific spot. While you do have the support of quite a few people the consensus is not overwhelming as there are a handful of concerns that get thrown out even among the compliments that are red flags for me.

On 3/25/2021 at 5:10 PM, JD(OD) said:

On 3/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, JD(OD) said:

I would often and sometimes still get frustrated with people for not understanding things that I think they should be able to do. Or not understanding something from a viewpoint that I think is obvious. I've gotten much better about keeping these thoughts to myself or simply not feeling this way and using coping skills to help resolve the issue rather then stew in my annoyance. 

Looking back at your first eval I noticed that this seemed to be a consistent concern, and based on your comments this eval this seems to still be relavant. How does this make you feel that this was a long term hurdle for you? (PS getting those boxes right cost me time and a bit of annoyance.)

Look at what I also found.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, LightningWolves(OD) said:

So far so good, but I remember the time you voted on my major promotion and got basic information wrong about my division when putting it up. How will you go about making sure that there will not be any big misinterpretation of events in divisions you rarely visit? 

On 7/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, JD(OD) said:

Hey lightning, thanks for taking the time to post on my eval.

You're right, on your major promotion I had made a comment regarding something in your division that was based on older information that I was not up to date on at the time. But, you immediately reached out to me and informed me what was actually the case. I then went back and amended my information on my promotion post for you so members would be reading the correct information. 

While I'm not perfect, I try to stay as up to date as I can on everything. If i make a mistake, I try to do my best to correct it as you saw during this exact situation. Going forward, if i'm promoted. I will strive to even greater lengths to make sure all my information being posted is as accurate as possible. 

I hope i addressed your concerns here and assured you that I have every desire to make sure things like this don't happen again.

Since then how have you improved on this front?

Questions

1. Do you enjoy working with other generals and commanders, even if they can not see it your way?

2. What really spur the idea of reaching out to me and try and bring me back to OD?

3. Do you think all of the people we lost on the way here were ultimately a better change for OD?

4. Who's departure from OD affected you the most?

5. If you and 4 other people had to take over as commanders, how do you think you can handle such a sudden change?

7 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Looking back at your first eval I noticed that this seemed to be a consistent concern, and based on your comments this eval this seems to still be relavant. How does this make you feel that this was a long term hurdle for you? (PS getting those boxes right cost me time and a bit of annoyance.)

I see you decided to dig pretty deep to continue to drive it home on my eval. I suppose that's commendable. 

Back then I didn't agree with the sentiment. Although looking back now. I would have. I was much more stubborn and less of a team player back then. But now, I'd like to think in my own estimation of my self that I've grown and this tendency has become the exception not the rule with how I deal with situations. 

---

Since then how have you improved on this front?

The same way I told you I would improve back then. Do my best to make sure that any information that I'm quoting, stating as fact etc... is as up to date as possible so I'm not giving out incorrect information and thus misleading people. 

---

Questions

1. Do you enjoy working with other generals and commanders, even if they can not see it your way?

2. What really spur the idea of reaching out to me and try and bring me back to OD?

3. Do you think all of the people we lost on the way here were ultimately a better change for OD?

4. Who's departure from OD affected you the most?

5. If you and 4 other people had to take over as commanders, how do you think you can handle such a sudden change?

1. 100% I love working with other people. The more the merrier. Even if things end up in a debate. Debate is sometimes just part of discussion. It's why I'm so happy about our active officer situation. It means I have more people to work with on the forward movement of our community. 

2. I decided to reach out to you to see how you were handling covid in your area. Naturally OD came up as being part of both of our lives.

3. Yes and No. There's plenty of people that the community is probably better without. But there's plenty that the community is sorely missing for their activity. But people have to move on in their own time.

4. Sassy, without a question of a doubt. 

5. hahahahahahahaha. First off I don't ever want to be a commander. If that ever changes I'll let you know. But that's way to much stress. Second there's only 2 people in the community right now who aren't commanders who I think could take up the mantle and that's Comp and Triny. SO yeah. 🤷‍♂️

• Clap 1

JD thanks for all you have done with the discord bot my guy! Glad to see you doing big things. I truly don't have questions for you. I feel confident in your ability to fulfill your duties if promoted while I do think you like many of us bite of more than you can chew. Since my return and even before that you have done A LOT better at managing your time and finding a balance something that can be difficult. I would like to see social media have more organization. I know I popped into the channel the other day with you and I meant to discuss this more in person. However I had to skip out before I could have the conversation. I would like to connect soon to talk about some idea's but truly its more minimal and nothing that I feel should prevent you from gaining a promo. With that being said good luck and you have my support for this promotion. 

• Hug 1
  • 2 weeks later...

JD.... You certainly have checked most, if not, pretty much all of the boxes when it comes to the listed expectations of a 3 star, and your efforts have definitely been felt across the various divisions of the community. Your being nominated for the rank of 3 star is no surprise to me, given your efforts and contributions thus far. 

I think it's pretty safe to say that being evaluated for a promotion, no matter what rank you are going for, almost always forces the one being evaluated to self-reflect on their performance / contributions to the community since their last eval (if any). With 10 days left before phase 1 comes to a close for this period, I will pose some questions for you:

• At this point in your OD career and in life, in what area do you feel that you need to work on most, and what plans / steps do you have in mind, on how to improve in that area?
  • While your contributions and efforts support your bid for that 3rd star, what goal(s) do you have in mind, that wouldn't be feasible with your current rank of a 2 star Major General?

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, JD(OD) said:

Whether promoted or not there's not much that will change for me.

• While it's admirable to say "not much would change for me if promoted", there is at least 1 major difference in the level of trust that 3-star Generals are bestowed with, which is the first taste of the AdminCP for our forums. With such access, you will have the power and shared responsibility of assisting others with fixing group settings (i.e. correcting members' group-level permissions after a tier changing promotion), among other things. At this level, it's no longer just about recognition of your past efforts, but also about the more responsibilities that comes with that next promotion. With your acknowledged past tendencies to "bite off more than you can chew" so to speak, it begs the question if it will be to your benefit, or the beginning of your detriment in that never-ending battle with balance if promoted... Any thoughts?

Looking forward to your thoughtful answers, as always :thumbsup:.

p.s. gotta love those open-ended questions! hahaha ! 

Comp,

First I'd like to say how I appreciate you not waiting till the last couple of days to post on my eval with your usual evil open ended questions 🤣. But I appreciate you posting none the less. 

---

10 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

At this point in your OD career and in life, in what area do you feel that you need to work on most, and what plans / steps do you have in mind, on how to improve in that area?

This is something I've touched on time and time again. It's the ability to handle a situation with less emotion. Often times I've struggled with wanting to immediately attack something with how I feel vs with sitting on it and thinking about it and coming to a logical conclusion and collecting my thoughts based on all relevant information. I've honestly gotten much better at this over time. I can even say that I've gotten better at being willing to reverse my decision after seeing new information which is not something not everyone is willing to do because of stubbornness and pride. 

I'll even give a real world example of this. While this is a lesser example. I think it still applies. 

Recently @Terra approached me regarding my thoughts about multi-division leadership. When I answered them originally in voice my thoughts were based within emotion rather based on data and facts. I argued mainly based on how people would feel rather than looking at the overall big picture the data presented and the cost benefit analysis the data provided at the time. 

After my conversation with Terra that night I took the time to really look at the data available to us and consider my stance based on it and came to a logical based conclusion and posted this conclusion on the topic they had made within the Generals Board.

Anyways this is what I think I need to work on the most and will continue to do in order to be the best leader I can be both in and out of OD.

---

11 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

While your contributions and efforts support your bid for that 3rd star, what goal(s) do you have in mind, that wouldn't be feasible with your current rank of a 2 star Major General?

11 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

While it's admirable to say "not much would change for me if promoted", there is at least 1 major difference in the level of trust that 3-star Generals are bestowed with, which is the first taste of the AdminCP for our forums. With such access, you will have the power and shared responsibility of assisting others with fixing group settings (i.e. correcting members' group-level permissions after a tier changing promotion), among other things. At this level, it's no longer just about recognition of your past efforts, but also about the more responsibilities that comes with that next promotion. With your acknowledged past tendencies to "bite off more than you can chew" so to speak, it begs the question if it will be to your benefit, or the beginning of your detriment in that never-ending battle with balance if promoted... Any thoughts?

While I'm sure this isn't going to help me any. None.

I have no goals for 3 star that I had as a 2 star. They're all basically remaining the same and I'm going to tie my answer to both this question and your last "question" together. As a 2* General or even as a 1* General when I need something that is out of my reach power wise. I've come to find that I just need to collaborate with someone that has the power. Does this slow me down sometimes? Sure it does. But that's also part of the fun. 

Yes I get a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit more power and responsibility as a 3 star with my first taste of the ACP on the forum. But honestly I will treat handling that the same way I handled getting my power to discord. Poorly. I'm nothing if honest and open. I'm going to end up staring at the forum for hours and hours until I've memorized every bit of the pages on the ACP that I can see and answer a question about the group management section. Why? Probably because I have an issue... lol But, I've learned to balance my life enough that this problem doesn't actually become a problem most of the time where I can still play games and spend time with my beautiful and loving wife and friends. 

So TLDR... Do I have major goals for a 3* that I didn't as a 2* not really other than stare into the void that is the ACP group management system and continue to do my best to maintain my life balance. 

• Thanks 1

JD, I can say since I've been back you've made this time around extremely enjoyable. Your willingness to listen, consult and collaborate is AH-mazing and it's always a pleasure to work with you.

I have only a few questions for you and this is per our conversation yesterday. You mentioned how you really enjoy these eval processes, especially the first part, with all the back and forth and answer questions. You've been asked several so far, but what is something that you haven't been asked that you wish had been? In addition, do you feel there is any room for improvement on the eval process in terms of getting people involved in the phase 1 question part?

Regardless of your answers here, I'd support you for your next star.