Terra's Evaluation - April 2021

Salutations, members of OD. April evaluations are coming up and I have decided to volunteer to write an evaluation.

I have volunteered for two main reasons.

1. It seems like I ruffled some feathers with certain eval votes or maybe some prior decisions I have made back in January. Rather than leave people to simmer in frustration, unable to release their passionate feelings upon me, incapable of expressing the thoughts that they are burning with desire to send my way, I thought I'd give anyone and everyone a chance to air out the unfathomable depths of emotions they have towards me, and maybe come to understand my reasons a little better. And no better way to do that than the free speech of our evals!

2. For some, the evaluations back in January posed some daunting challenges, and I was among those that held them to an expectation, as Generals, to face those challenges even if they were difficult. And they did. My volunteering to write an eval this time around is my way of showing them that I am prepared to face the same challenges, that the burden placed on our leadership roles is one I am prepared to share, and not simply push onto others. So hit me with the hardest you got, I can take it!

Oh, but before we get to that part, I suppose tradition dictates that I talk a little about my achievements since my last eval.

*ahem*

6f8h7u3h0f861.png

Welcome to prime time Terra!

It has been less than a year since my last evaluation, but I will list out all of my accomplishments since then.

175167179-288-k547603.jpg

Major Contributions

1. I wrote out the four remaining guides of the Officer's section of the OD Academy, thereby completing the section and opening up the door for Divisions to use the academy section to help teach and train Officers. (Plans for creating an Officer test based on it were discussed but remained inconclusive)

2. I created the framework for the new expectations. (Core, Practical, Exceptional) I did not play a big role in creating the new expectations themselves (Badboi and JD get most credit for that) although the new expectations are largely based on the original written expectations, which I did play a big part in creating

3. I pioneered the Commander-based conversation regarding needed changes to how we handle DSL, the discussion of which led to the idea of the automated recruit bot on Discord. (Credit for the idea itself goes to Ragnarok though, successfully one-upping my original idea for change. You win this time, Rag...) 

528-5289175_chibi-girl-kawaii-anime-chibi-anime-cute-hd.png

Noteworthy Contributions

1. The idea for changing evaluations to every month, (which is starting now) instead of seasonal, was proposed by me.

2. The idea for exempting Generals from being required to participate in General-Board discussions if they wished to be a more gaming-focused General came from me. (Though we actually ended up taking a variation of the idea proposed by Purplez where it applies just to Brigadier Generals)

3. The idea and framework of the "Summary post" used at the start of General-board and Officer-board discussions now to help sum up large discussions involving Clan changes and make them clearer. All me, baby.

I also had two other propositions in the General's board, Division Funding and Yearly Goals, which both would have been pretty major too but sadly they never came to fruition. And I have at least one new proposition that was recently well-received in the last General's Meeting and will be up for discussion in the General's Board soon. It is also worth mentioning that, while being a good source for new ideas and propositions, what is arguably even more valued about me is my ability to drive ideas to their conclusion and make them into reality, making me one of the most prevalent instruments of change within the Clan.

Outside of these distinguishable achievements of mine I played a part in the resolution of several dramatic incidences in 2020, I faithfully update the Guide to Everything and serve as a walking encyclopedia of OD rules and regulations, I am consistently consulted by Generals and members alike for my experience as a leader and Commander, I provide in-depth perspective in every major discussion involving the Clan, and my fan club is rivaled in size only by my hate club.

51KaExLr0WL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I have been called the most approachable, and the most unapproachable. The most reasonable, and the most unreasonable. The most helpful, and the most scary. The most strict, and the most forgiving. And on at least two occasions during my time in OD some person has tried to demote me for making jokes, so you don't really have to worry about holding back on my evals cuz I can pretty much guarantee you I'm used to all the crazy by now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well well, it seems to be eval time again with one of my favorite debaters, where to begin. I have been honestly both your greatest advocate and critic simultaneously ever since I have gotten back to OD, and the more I have taken time to talk with you, the more I can appreciate the effort you put in. Our talks have been extremely beneficial to me in ways you may not realize as you helped put things into perspective and allow for me to show you my perspective as well. You do have flaws like all of us, but there is alot of pros there too. 

What I like.

1. You and I are both pushers of ideas, this is sadly not common in OD today.

2. You are willing to listen.

3. You do so much forum heavy lifting.

4. You are willing to give a honest and fair review of a person if asked.

What can be improved. 

1. How you word things can come of as antagonistic and dismissive in forum debates.

2. You say yoj are obligated to present what the community stance was/is even if you disagree. I have yet to see what your disagreements are.

3. You can come off as a bit abrasive understandly when things annoy you, or you don't like something. 

Addressing the reason of your self nomination.

7 hours ago, Terra said:

1. It seems like I ruffled some feathers with certain eval votes or maybe some prior decisions I have made back in January. Rather than leave people to simmer in frustration, unable to release their passionate feelings upon me, incapable of expressing the thoughts that they are burning with desire to send my way, I thought I'd give anyone and everyone a chance to air out the unfathomable depths of feelings they have towards me, and maybe come to understand my reasons a little better. And no better way to do that than the free speech of our evals!

I have personally witnesses this as it was unfolding live, while I 100% disagree with your choice I 100% support your right to make your decision. I think some people may not be aware of how evals work, the types of evals, and what type of eval a person is under. Your vote stirred alot of commotion in the ocean and people were not happy, but it we let emotions trump rights and reason then we risk chaos.

7 hours ago, Terra said:

2. For some, the evaluations back in January posed some daunting challenges, and I was among those that held them to an expectation, as Generals, to face those challenges even if they were difficult. And they did. My volunteering to write an eval this time around is my way of showing them that I am prepared to face the same challenges, that the burden placed on our leadership roles is one I am prepared to share, and not simply push onto others. So hit me with the hardest you got, I can take it!

I have to ask what expectation do you hold yourself in? 

Questions.

1. What do you think is the worst thing about OD currently?

2.What do you see as your greatest flaw?

3. Have you ever felt you can handle a non dispute situation better?

4. Has there ever been a chance you handled a dispute poorly since your last eval?

5. When is a time you agree with a topic, but have to disagree for the clans sake. 

6. Do you see why some people would have issues with you?

7. Is there anything you can do to improve your image to those who hate you in your opinion, and how so?

Edited by LightningWolves(OD)

EVAL LIKE UR SPEAKING.. CIRCLES... "Im a banana, sometimes a pear.. People call me a dog but I feel like a cat.. I fly, but without wings" Id like to see more details and LESS photo gallery. SMH

4 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Questions.

1. What do you think is the worst thing about OD currently?

2.What do you see as your greatest flaw?

3. Have you ever felt you can handle a non dispute situation better?

4. Has there ever been a chance you handled a dispute poorly since your last eval?

5. When is a time you agree with a topic, but have to disagree for the clans sake. 

6. Do you see why some people would have issues with you?

7. Is there anything you can do to improve your image to those who hate you in your opinion, and how so?

1. The tendency of some to imagine sinister motivations behind the actions and decisions of others when they don't know what the real motivations are.

2. As I am more guarded about my private life I have a harder time connecting as deep a bond with my peers as some of them have been able to form with each other

3. Well non-disputes don't really need to be handled, because they are not disputes. But if you mean when there are disputes then sure, particularly when I was more youthful and less experienced. I think overall I'm pretty good at handling most, but there is always room for further improvement.

4. Since my last eval? No, I do not feel like I handled any dispute poorly from my point of view. Those on the other side of the dispute may feel differently, but I think I handled any matters of dispute as would have been expected of someone in my position.

5. I'm not sure I understand the question, as I'm not sure how I can agree and disagree with a topic at the same time.

6. Sure. I make the decisions I feel are needed, which are not always the decisions that are popular. I'm not afraid to challenge ideas or the status quo.

7. Post an evaluation and give those people a chance to express their views about me.

1 hour ago, JuJu(OD) said:

EVAL LIKE UR SPEAKING.. CIRCLES... "Im a banana, sometimes a pear.. People call me a dog but I feel like a cat.. I fly, but without wings" Id like to see more details and LESS photo gallery. SMH

The major and noteworthy contributions were fairly specific, were they not? There are probably a lot of things I could go into greater detail about, but I didn't want to make the first post too long, and it was already getting fairly lengthy with the amount I already had. Therefore if there is a particular point you would like more details about then it's easier if you just ask me to elaborate on it and I can do so in a separate reply here.

• Like 1

Ruffling feathers I imagine comes with the territory here just as much as it would do with any other job. I feel the higher you climb, the more you stick out and the more likely people are to stop at "rash" as opposed to "rational" when making judgments of you.

For what it (and my rank) is worth, I've slowly over the past few months started to cross paths and voices with you, Terra, and want to contribute to this. I can wholeheartedly say I haven't come away with any negative feelings on any occasion. Usually within Admin meetings, but occasionally on the forums, and every interaction has shown you willing to listen, debate, engage and resolve conversations with someone new to all this. I actually appreciate the blunt statements that are unavoidable in some situations (and disagree vehemently with anyone who sees blunt as rude).

To your points:

1. Ruffling feathers because of voicing your opinions only shows the colours of people getting worked up over it, that is my firm stance. I've had similar conversations recently with others around neg. voting and critical feedback, and how anything even remotely negative is frowned on, and rug sweeping definitely being a thing. I believe I have seen some of the situations you mention as they unfolded, and agree with the actions you took. You aren't afraid to stick to your guns and defend a point rationally and logically, even if others are objecting to what you are saying. 
  2. You held people to a task that you expected and (whether it was met or not) you evaluated them based on what you expected of them. No more, no less. If evaluations were passed even with your stance taken into account, people would do well to realise that doesn't make your stance and approach wrong. I evaluate based on my experience of a person - others have felt I offered promotion votes too freely, but I evaluated based on information available to me. From what I see with what is available to me, you do the same.

Approachable, unapproachable, reasonable, unreasonable... I'm curious the questions, comments and ideas that were brought to you in order to elicit these responses from people, because I've been called similar in my own formal review at work, and proved decisively that the root cause was perception. That's what I would like to offer here as something constructive. Perception. I get the impression that sometimes, criticism arises from the perceived separation and differences between Commanders and even just one layer down to Generals, let alone further. I can think of a dozen times recently that Generals have dipped in, checked up in a voice chat, asked something in passing, inquired over games, kicked off a casual chat at the start of a meeting. Whilst I recognize that this is infinitely more difficult for a Commander to do (partly due to the expectations on you), I feel that you are the Commander I could engage with the least on a casual, social level. I acknowledge your point about guarding private lives, and am not saying to break this, but feel this lack of casual air is the biggest barrier to shifting what negative perceptions people have of you. Maybe I haven't seen that side yet, but like I said above, that's what I prefer to form my opinions on. 

In terms of achievements, they clearly speak volumes about your dedication - what's more, you are willing to raise up what didn't happen, as well as pointing out who helped form your ideas and where credit should actually really be given - even in your own evaluation.

I'd like to ask a few Q's, if that's ok.

1. What development in OD do you feel you have fought the hardest for within OD over the past year, and why?
  2. Exempting Generals from Board discussions - what made you choose to support this?
  3. Did you support the test for Officers, and why?
Edited by Geordie(OD)
minor spelling
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Terra,

Recently we put forth the new expectations from top to bottom for the members/ranks of our community. The commanders specifically handled the expectations for Commander-1*General. 

Below I've listed the current expectation for our active commanders. 

I would like to address just a few of these specifically here on your eval. 

---

Commanders

The top authority of the Clan responsible for managing Clan finances, directing the course of the community, and ensuring the well-being of OD and its members

Core Expectations

- Can aptly judge the direction and status of the Clan to ensure it is progressing in a manner suitable and safe for the community

- Can proactively solve problems that nobody else can solve with ownership and tact within our rules regarding respect

- Communicates regularly with the other Commanders to keep each other informed and on the same page

- Identifies and intervenes in any situations that pose a risk to the integrity of the community

- Addresses major events at General-Specific meetings

- Votes (with reasons) on all General Evaluations, including any possible constructive criticism and words of encouragement

- Maintains the tools and utilities that the Clan depends on (voice chat, website, forum etc.) and manages the donations and payments involved in the Clan

- Overall maintaining the direction and core values of the Clan and ensuring the longevity and health of the community

---

Would you consider not attending General specific meetings where Major events are being discussed and Voted upon a disqualifying factor for this Core Expectation. 

If a commander is not able to attend a meeting nor is excused from a meeting. Do they fail to meet this core expectation as written?

---

- Maintains the tools and utilities that the Clan depends on (voice chat, website, forum etc.) and manages the donations and payments involved in the Clan

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But since Aerineth handed the responsibility over to Compfreak to manage the incoming donations/rewards. The only members who have access to our funds in any capacity are R.ag and Comp. Why is this listed as a Core Expectations for the commanders when it appears that clearly 3 of the 4 commanders are meeting this at the time of creation?

2 hours ago, Geordie(OD) said:

For what it (and my rank) is worth, I've slowly over the past few months started to cross paths and voices with you, Terra, and want to contribute to this.

Indeed our paths have begun to cross more often, Geordie, and some of my peers have spoken quite highly of you as well. As a matter of fact, I have a confession to make. I had a feeling you would add some input to my evaluation, and I fully intended to use your evaluation of me to evaluate you. And you did not disappoint. You nailed perception as the root cause with a familiarity of such situations that only one with first-hand experience could have so confidently assessed.

It is true, the people who are familiar with me, or who take the time to speak with me at length are the ones who typically judge me to be a reasonable person. The people that don't, tend to judge me at face value, where my actions can seem unreasonable when one doesn't understand my intent. There is no denying that, to an extent, I am partly at fault. I do not socialize as broadly as some of my peers, and as I mentioned in my reply to LightningWolves I don't tend to form as many personal connections. It was not as bad when I was still hosting community events, like Drunken Rocket League, and it is one of the reasons I've volunteered to join Redvaine's events if she hosts them. Perhaps that will help.

However to some extent I am doomed to always be misunderstood by some. OD is a big place, with many Divisions, and though I can strive to broaden my social graces I will never have the time or energy to associate with everyone. Nor do I necessarily think I should, as Commanders tend to overshadow Generals as the favored go-to person for help for members that are familiar with them. And as it is easier to fill in the blanks with our own answers rather than taking the time to find out the real answers, many will continue to adopt their own beliefs about the reasons for my decisions.

Moving onto your questions, though.

2 hours ago, Geordie(OD) said:
  • What development in OD do you feel you have fought the hardest for within OD over the past year, and why?
  • Exempting Generals from Board discussions - what made you choose to support this?
  • Did you support the test for Officers, and why?

1. Mid last year the Generals voted almost unanimously on a policy that was pointedly restrictive towards Generals who had been on IA from participating in evals, out of a running belief that it could and would inevitably be abused. It is rare that I continue to debate a topic after a decision has been made, and while I can be tenacious with my arguments, I'm generally not emotionally invested in most developments to the point where I will "fight" to see them realized. This one was kind of an exception, though, and it was so transparently made with the wrong intent that I actually took a stand against the entire status quo alone in order to get the Generals to really think through the kind of decision they had voted to support. While I actually ended up succeeding in getting most Generals to reconsider the decision, challenging the collective decision of the broader leadership was a daunting undertaking, even for me, and one I was aware could have had lasting consequences for myself. I would say the scale of what I was taking on, and the passionate effort I had to put into emphasizing the need to think the subject over carefully and critically, makes it among the hardest and most audacious things I've attempted in a long time during my history in OD. And despite the fact that I earnestly believed what I did was necessary and important, I am still fortunate that the Generals and Commanders did not exact some form of repercussion for what was undoubtedly straddling the line of acceptable.

2. In our Clan there has always been an unofficial categorization of Generals. Admin Generals, who focus more on broader Clan administrative work, and Gaming Generals, who focus more on Gaming and internal Divisions affairs. OD has long acknowledged the importance of both to the Clan, and as a community we have preached that we fully support both. In practice, however, we haven't always been as good at it. There has always been strong expectation on all Generals to participate in administrative discussions in the General's Board and cast a vote, and this has historically always led to a sort of tug of war between Admin Generals criticizing and pressuring Gaming Generals into participating, and Gaming Generals being reluctant to comply because they want to game and focus on the needs of their members.

Having observed this I found that this long-lasting tug-of-war situation was likely quite detrimental to the Clan. Compelling Generals to post and vote on decisions they weren't particularly invested in meant we were running into situations where some Generals would be voting on potentially significant Clan changes at face value without really taking the time to read all the points and arguments within it, because they were only voting out of necessity. And if decisions were being made from an uninformed perspective then it could lead to bad results for the Clan.

So it seemed to me like it was better overall to give Generals the option to not participate in discussions if they didn't want to, in exchange for giving up their vote on the final decision. This would allow Gaming Generals to pick and choose which Clan developments they wanted to be a part of, and helped ensure that any votes towards a Clan decision was made from a more informed perspective. It was ultimately decided by the General group that this would apply only to Brigadier Generals.

It has become less of a concern now that we are adopting the practice of "summary posts" at the front of each topic, which gives any reader a quick overview of a discussion. The summary post also being an idea that was inspired by this same issue.

3. I did support the test for Officers. Nothing difficult though, in fact I imagined something blatantly easy. The idea behind the test was just to help Officers understand what powers they had, and in what situations they could use it. I think any practice that helps individuals understand and use the tools available to them, and their responsibilities with their use, is always good to have.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Terra said:

...and I fully intended to use your evaluation of me to evaluate you...

Oh dear 😅

35 minutes ago, Terra said:

And you did not disappoint. You nailed perception as the root cause with a familiarity of such situations that only one with first-hand experience could have so confidently assessed.

I hope that's in a good manner? I didn't want it to come across patronizing in tone as it's a difficult one to navigate, but you're right - first hand experience through negative performance ratings (deemed incorrect by my current reporting line and manager) by someone who didn't know the ins and outs of my role.

Thanks for responding to the questions. Apologies that it ended up needing responses that were a little hefty!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JD(OD) said:

Would you consider not attending General specific meetings where Major events are being discussed and Voted upon a disqualifying factor for this Core Expectation. 

If a commander is not able to attend a meeting nor is excused from a meeting. Do they fail to meet this core expectation as written?

Clever JD, this point isn't being made towards me, you had someone else in mind when you asked this question. Are we using my evaluation to evaluate other Commanders now?

But as you asked this question to me, I will be the one to answer.

The core expectation states that Commanders should address major events at General-Specific meetings, but there is a bit of ambiguity. Is it "They have to be at General-Specific meetings to address major events" or is it "They have to address any major events brought up at General-Specific meetings"? Either way the expectation should probably be better defined, however I am going to argue that it is the latter, and that the requirement isn't necessarily to attend the General-Specific meetings but to ensure they are involved and prepared to address any major events that come from General Meetings.

Now before you think I'm splitting hairs just to protect a certain someone, let me say that my interpretation of it is actually more fair, because otherwise the Clan wouldn't be able to have any European or Asian Commanders in the future as the differing time zones would prevent them from attending meetings. And time zones aside there are many other situations that could prevent an individual from regularly participating in meetings which in turn would prevent them from being a Commander. Which shouldn't really be the case, there are plenty of ways to contribute to the Clan or address major issues that don't necessarily require participating in the meeting, even on a Commander level, and one caveat should not disqualify all other value they could potentially provide.

1 hour ago, JD(OD) said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But since Aerineth handed the responsibility over to Compfreak to manage the incoming donations/rewards. The only members who have access to our funds in any capacity are R.ag and Comp. Why is this listed as a Core Expectations for the commanders when it appears that clearly 3 of the 4 commanders are meeting this at the time of creation?

Management of donations involves more than just the collection and counting of donations, it includes what those donations are used for. That's why the expectation doesn't simply say "Manages the donations" but also lists payments, tools, and utilities as all being part of the expectation as well. How to pay our bills, which utilities to adopt or drop based on the Clan's financial needs, these and donations are all part of the same process, which is why they are listed in the same expectation rather than separately, and all Commanders are involved in that process to some extent or another.

If I'm going to be honest these questions are probably better suited to the topics we have that are intended to discuss and better refine the new expectations rather than in the evaluations, although at the same time I do applaud your effort to hold the Commanders accountable as well and I'm not necessarily discouraging it either.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
42 minutes ago, Terra said:

Clever JD, this point isn't being made towards me, you had someone else in mind when you asked this question. Are we using my evaluation to evaluate other Commanders now?

But as you asked this question to me, I will be the one to answer.

The core expectation states that Commanders should address major events at General-Specific meetings, but there is a bit of ambiguity. Is it "They have to be at General-Specific meetings to address major events" or is it "They have to address any major events brought up at General-Specific meetings"? Either way the expectation should probably be better defined, however I am going to argue that it is the latter, and that the requirement isn't necessarily to attend the General-Specific meetings but to ensure they are involved and prepared to address any major events that come from General Meetings.

Now before you think I'm splitting hairs just to protect a certain someone, let me say that my interpretation of it is actually more fair, because otherwise the Clan wouldn't be able to have any European or Asian Commanders in the future as the differing time zones would prevent them from attending meetings. And time zones aside there are many other situations that could prevent an individual from regularly participating in meetings which in turn would prevent them from being a Commander. Which shouldn't really be the case, there are plenty of ways to contribute to the Clan or address major issues that don't necessarily require participating in the meeting, even on a Commander level, and one caveat should not disqualify all other value they could potentially provide.

Correct, Ding ding ding. This is not a reflection on the performance of Terra. But as a Commander I ask you to cast thy judgement and giveth your opinion on the expectation.

In this example I would happily accept the modification/change of "They have to address any major events brought up at General-Specific meetings" vs the original of "Addresses major events at General-Specific meetings"  The change puts the expectation that they would listen to the meeting recording and address their concerns in the relevant forum. Where the original leaves it a bit ambiguous as to what the expectation is as you stated. 

Me being someone that would enjoy more participation when possible from all of our generals/commanders. I would prefer the second. I understand life is a thing and timezones are a thing. But it's always been the unspoken expectation to my understanding that if you are unable to make the meeting that you would listen to the meeting. Or if there was a pending discussion for the meeting. Understand what was going to be discussed at the meeting and cast a proxy vote if possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

---

42 minutes ago, Terra said:

Management of donations involves more than just the collection and counting of donations, it includes what those donations are used for. That's why the expectation doesn't simply say "Manages the donations" but also lists payments, tools, and utilities as all being part of the expectation as well. How to pay our bills, which utilities to adopt or drop based on the Clan's financial needs, these and donations are all part of the same process, which is why they are listed in the same expectation rather than separately, and all Commanders are involved in that process to some extent or another.

If I'm going to be honest these questions are probably better suited to the topics we have that are intended to discuss and better refine the new expectations rather than in the evaluations, although at the same time I do applaud your effort to hold the Commanders accountable as well and I'm not necessarily discouraging it either.

I didn't consider the full scope of this expectation but your explanation makes perfect sense in hindsight.

---

For what it's worth I knew I could have posted these questions as is in the respective topic we have for such discussion. But as one of our prestigious Commanders are up for Eval and I had a burning question about your specific expectations. I thought no better place or person to ask then the Admin Commander herself. 🙂  

Edited by JD(OD)
1 hour ago, JD(OD) said:

But it's always been the unspoken expectation to my understanding that if you are unable to make the meeting that you would listen to the meeting. Or if there was a pending discussion for the meeting. Understand what was going to be discussed at the meeting and cast a proxy vote if possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't speak for all the Commanders, obviously, but it has been my experience that any time a Commander has not attended a meeting they have still taken the time to listen to the recordings, or remain apprised of important discussions leading up to meetings and arrange to cast proxy votes as needed. It is a common enough practice that I haven't personally had any concerns about existing Commanders being out of the loop or negligent of their responsibilities at any point in time.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Terra said:

1. Mid last year the Generals voted almost unanimously on a policy that was pointedly restrictive towards Generals who had been on IA from participating in evals, out of a running belief that it could and would inevitably be abused. It is rare that I continue to debate a topic after a decision has been made, and while I can be tenacious with my arguments, I'm generally not emotionally invested in most developments to the point where I will "fight" to see them realized. This one was kind of an exception, though, and it was so transparently made with the wrong intent that I actually took a stand against the entire status quo alone in order to get the Generals to really think through the kind of decision they had voted to support. While I actually ended up succeeding in getting most Generals to reconsider the decision, challenging the collective decision of the broader leadership was a daunting undertaking, even for me, and one I was aware could have had lasting consequences for myself. I would say the scale of what I was taking on, and the passionate effort I had to put into emphasizing the need to think the subject over carefully and critically, makes it among the hardest and most audacious things I've attempted in a long time during my history in OD. And despite the fact that I earnestly believed what I did was necessary and important, I am still fortunate that the Generals and Commanders did not exact some form of repercussion for what was undoubtedly straddling the line of acceptable.

I was one of those who argued so emotionally with you during this situation.  I was appalled that you were re-opening a discussion after a vote was taken and the majority went against what you felt was best for the Clan.  It wasn't the issue I was arguing so strenuously for, it was the voting system and what I felt was unfair intimidation by a Commander to force another vote.  Luckily for the Clan you were persistent.  I came to realize you weren't trying to intimidate anybody.  You strongly felt that we did not have all the facts nor did we give the matter as much thought as we should have before we voted.  It was a definite personal changing experience for me.  Growth is possible for all of us and sometimes our personal life experiences need to be re-examined in a different light.  I applaud you highly for taking all the animosity and arguing with patience and guidance.  It is one of your skills.

Now on to my questions.

1.  Do you feel that the new rank expectations for officers are absolute or are there exceptions to when we as leaders need to look outside the box and say enough is enough.  This is a gaming community -- emphasis on gaming -- and shouldn't we put more emphasis on the gaming versus the administrative side?

2.  What is the biggest thing that frustrates you as a Commander and how would you change it you had to answer to no one?

3.  I know you still game quite a bit, do you encourage all members, no matter rank, to join you in gaming?  Do you advertise the games you are just starting to play?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Terra, I just wanna say..

I love the way you type ❤️

My Questions to you is :

1.  What is it like to be you ? :)

2.  What do you see in the future of the clan ? 

3.  I wanna know why you have to do a eval ?  

4.  Are you willing to relocate ? 

here is my little questions for you loves ❤️ 

5 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

1.  Do you feel that the new rank expectations for officers are absolute or are there exceptions to when we as leaders need to look outside the box and say enough is enough.  This is a gaming community -- emphasis on gaming -- and shouldn't we put more emphasis on the gaming versus the administrative side?

2.  What is the biggest thing that frustrates you as a Commander and how would you change it you had to answer to no one?

3.  I know you still game quite a bit, do you encourage all members, no matter rank, to join you in gaming?  Do you advertise the games you are just starting to play?

1. This questions represents one of the most complicated aspects of running a gaming community, and I'll try to keep the reply as condensed as I can but it'll still be pretty lengthy.

Ideally, yes, the focus should always be on gaming and having fun, and those that want to do so should have the freedom to do so. But it is never as simple as we would like it to be. The players who wish to game need someone to create and organize the Divisions for the games they like, the players that create the Divisions need people to help them run it and maintain the peace. The Clan needs to lay down some rules to make sure everyone can play nice, then it needs to find people who can enforce those rules, then it needs to create a system by which those enforcers are selected so that the power and authority doesn't get abused. And so on and so forth.

In simplistic terms the situation we have been faced with for a while is that some of the people we have selected to help us run the Clan and maintain the peace have somewhat retired from that role over time, and the question we have had to ask ourselves is whether it is necessary or best for the Clan for those people to continue holding roles that they have no interest in using. On the one hand it seems harmless, particularly as many of them have been there a long time, and seems like a good way to honor their past contributions. On the other hand, though, the more it becomes the accepted norm that these ranks and positions can be held without involvement, the less these positions are fulfilling the role in which they were originally created for, and which the clan depends on them for. So the direction we are currently moving in is that some minimal use of these ranks and roles are going to be expected for those who want to retain them.

So, are these expectations absolute? My answer would be that nothing is absolute. The core expectations that we lay down are expected to be adhered to, but it is difficult to create a blanket rule that can effectively account for every situation, and so to some extent the circumstances of particularly unique situations need to be considered. There may be cases in which exceptions should be made, but if that is to happen then those situations should be weighed carefully, and the reasons for them presented clearly so that everyone understands why an exception is made.

2. What tends to get me the most riled up is when people with great potential end up squandering that potential over petty or emotional reasons. I'm not overly fond of ignorance in general, but it becomes particularly frustrating for me to see someone with good work ethic or talent end up self-destructing themselves because they couldn't let go of something trivial. The biggest example of this is people who blow up or shut down because they failed a promotion or an evaluation. The fact that they were in a position to be promoted is proof enough of their promise as individuals, and if they could figure out how to get past their occasional setbacks then that promise can inevitably be realized. But some do not, and any promise they might have had gets tanked over some inability to cope with failure.

That said, you said "as a Commander" so maybe you were referring to something about the Clan specifically. I would say that the most frustrating thing about the Clan is how dependent we are on coders and how rare coders that can help actually are.

3. I don't consistently publicize the activities of the Gamers Lounge but I have posted about some of our games and amazing feats in those games that we've accomplished here on the forum, and any members that have expressed an interest from those posts, or from stopping by to see what we are doing, have always been encouraged to come join us in those games. A few occasionally do, most do not, but the door has always been open and we've always made an effort to be welcoming of those that visit us regardless of whether they are playing the games with us or not.

3 hours ago, Redvaine(OD) said:

My Questions to you is :

1.  What is it like to be you ? 🙂

2.  What do you see in the future of the clan ? 

3.  I wanna know why you have to do a eval ?  

4.  Are you willing to relocate ? 

1. Pretty awesome.

2. Honestly, the future is looking pretty good. We have some of the strongest team cohesion between our Generals of any time prior, the Officers group has been showing a level of initiative that has never really been seen in that rank tier before and a lot of those Officers have some promising potential. If we can really get the automated recruiting system and DSL reset working mainstream in the Clan then we could really revolutionize our recruiting and retention for the Clan, and with the announcement of the D2 remastered it has absolved one of our greatest concerns that the D2 Division we depend a lot on will erode away. If we are committed to keep pushing forward then it's entirely possible that we could enter a new golden era for OD.

3. I don't have to do an eval, I volunteered to do it of my own accord, primarily to give people a platform from which to ask me any questions they might have or work out anything they are uncertain of regarding things I have said or done in months prior.

4. No.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Terra said:

So, are these expectations absolute? My answer would be that nothing is absolute. The core expectations that we lay down are expected to be adhered to, but it is difficult to create a blanket rule that can effectively account for every situation, and so to some extent the circumstances of particularly unique situations need to be considered. There may be cases in which exceptions should be made, but if that is to happen then those situations should be weighed carefully, and the reasons for them presented clearly so that everyone understands why an exception is made.

I totally agree that there cannot be a blanket rule.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond so fully to my questions Terra.

17 hours ago, Terra said:

3. I don't consistently publicize the activities of the Gamers Lounge but I have posted about some of our games and amazing feats in those games that we've accomplished here on the forum, and any members that have expressed an interest from those posts, or from stopping by to see what we are doing, have always been encouraged to come join us in those games. A few occasionally do, most do not, but the door has always been open and we've always made an effort to be welcoming of those that visit us regardless of whether they are playing the games with us or not.

Here's a minor suggestion for you!  Since we have great flexibility on Discord, perhaps when you start a new game, change the name of the channel from "Gamers Lounge" to whatever new game you are playing.  

18 hours ago, Terra said:

In simplistic terms the situation we have been faced with for a while is that some of the people we have selected to help us run the Clan and maintain the peace have somewhat retired from that role over time, and the question we have had to ask ourselves is whether it is necessary or best for the Clan for those people to continue holding roles that they have no interest in using. On the one hand it seems harmless, particularly as many of them have been there a long time, and seems like a good way to honor their past contributions. On the other hand, though, the more it becomes the accepted norm that these ranks and positions can be held without involvement, the less these positions are fulfilling the role in which they were originally created for, and which the clan depends on them for. So the direction we are currently moving in is that some minimal use of these ranks and roles are going to be expected for those who want to retain them.

If I have to guess this might be refering to retirement officers? 

19 hours ago, Terra said:

I'm not overly fond of ignorance in general

When you say ignorance are you talking about the refusal to rationally see why something can be the way it is, even you don't like it, or the just not knowing at all? I would say that the former is so much worst. Have you every been in a position of ignorance in OD? 

I have to ask a few more questions, and some of these will be more general or broad. 

1. What is your favorite drink?

2. What are your hobbies outside of OD?

3. What was your biggest regret in OD?

4. Do you think you have made yourself more approachable and understanding over the years you spent in OD?

5. What was it like to climb the ranks of OD to get where you are today?

6. Is there something you can do better about yourself?

7. What is the harshest criticism you have ever received? 

8. Who is the most influential person to you in your OD career?

3 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Here's a minor suggestion for you!  Since we have great flexibility on Discord, perhaps when you start a new game, change the name of the channel from "Gamers Lounge" to whatever new game you are playing. 

Not all games have an expansive multiplayer, some are smaller co-op games that only two or three friends can play. It is for games like that, and any other game that the Clan doesn't have an active Squad or Division for, which the Gamer's Lounge is used. And not everyone in it is always playing the same game together. 

2 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

When you say ignorance are you talking about the refusal to rationally see why something can be the way it is, even you don't like it, or the just not knowing at all? I would say that the former is so much worst. Have you every been in a position of ignorance in OD? 

When I say ignorance I mean people who make assumptions about certain situations without taking any time to verify those assumptions. They assume they know the answer without any regard for confirming the truth. I do not make careless assumptions, I make decisions and judgements only after I have all available information I can get. When I do have to make assumptions, it is based carefully on the knowledge I have so far, and only when the real information is unavailable and an assumption is the only recourse. Even then, I always account for the possibility that my assumptions may be wrong. Any leader that does any less is opening themselves up to inevitable mistakes.

1. What is your favorite drink?

2. What are your hobbies outside of OD?

3. What was your biggest regret in OD?

4. Do you think you have made yourself more approachable and understanding over the years you spent in OD?

5. What was it like to climb the ranks of OD to get where you are today?

6. Is there something you can do better about yourself?

7. What is the harshest criticism you have ever received? 

8. Who is the most influential person to you in your OD career?

1. Margaritas

2. Pub-hopping with a good friend, or two or three

3. Taking Ghost aside to talk to him about some concerns a member had about him. That one act caused me about 4 years of contempt and distrust. Or it certainly seemed that way, anyway.

4. I've made a solid effort to. It's hard to judge how much of a difference it has made, as I don't have an accurate count of the amount of people who avoid me.

5. Entertaining for me, gratifying for some, vexing for others.

6. I can do everything better, and will continue to get better at everything as time goes on

On 1/22/2017 at 1:58 PM, Bones(OD) said:

Everyone knows having a bitch as manager can ruin that job's work environment. Imagine how bad things get if my manager's a bitch and the only higher up to go to is a queen bitch. I don't see how this is something that can be said, jokingly or not, to prove that you need to be a Commander.

Don't recall if there was one harsher than this, as I've had a lot of criticism over the years, but this is probably pretty far up there.

8. Tris would be first, followed fairly closely by Rag. Aerineth has probably influenced me a little over time too, hard not to be after years of spending time with someone.

Questions answered, you now have everything you need to faithfully reconstruct my social media profiles.

Terra,

Now that i have had a little more time to become acquainted with you.  I would have to say you are a very complex individual who is very methodical in your dealings with subjects/situations.  With all the experiences you have dealt with I am certain it is unreasonable for most of us to have a complete understanding of how this clan truly runs or what drives some of your decision making.

I have witnessed many of your opinions and decisions as logical and in the best interests of the clan.  Yet at times I am perplexed.  But that is every day life rolling at us full speed ahead.  I see you put in a ton of work on the forums and as the Commander collective you guys have continued to see this community thrive.  While I may not always agree with some of your decisions/handling of certain situations, I value your efforts and see good intentions.

A few questions:

1.  Do you see our current rank structure as better than admin/assistant admins like typical sites/communities?

2.  Do you view your current position as team-oriented or more of an authoritative role?

3.  Do you sometimes worry that your responses might shut particular individuals down?

4.  What do you feel is the most important quality in a leader?

5.  What is your favorite thing about OD?

Thanks for posting an eval.  I think this gives all of us a chance to know you better and understand your stance on certain matters.

• Like 1

Oh I'm not really all that complicated, mostly just a gamer that loves a good beer and has a tendency to talk a lot. It is not me that is complicated, more often it is the situations and problems we are faced with that are. Me personally, I'm pretty simple, I advocate truth and honesty, believe strongly in seeing the world for what it is and not what we want it to be, and push people to think and look at things through different perspectives. That about sums me up. Mostly the beer part though more than that other stuff.

4 hours ago, RadarRick(OD) said:

1.  Do you see our current rank structure as better than admin/assistant admins like typical sites/communities?

2.  Do you view your current position as team-oriented or more of an authoritative role?

3.  Do you sometimes worry that your responses might shut particular individuals down?

4.  What do you feel is the most important quality in a leader?

5.  What is your favorite thing about OD?

1. The short answer is yes, but there are paragraphs and paragraphs that could be written on the complexity of this question and its answer. It isn't that communities with more simple structures can't work, they certainly can, but it depends a lot on the kind of community you want to be. OD is expansive and diverse, and to be a large and broad community like we are the rank structure is essential for a long-lasting lifespan. Many gamers will look at the rank structure as pointless and unnecessarily complicated. Dedicated gamers aren't going to care about ranks or the power that comes with it right up until someone with power starts using it in a way they don't like, then suddenly they start to care a lot about who gets what rank and the power that goes with it. The ranks are a careful system of organization. They are a consistent system of reward. They are a method of inclusion, and a platform for all members to give voice to their thoughts in the form of votes.

If what you want is a smaller dedicated group focused on a single game then a simpler rank structure with a single leader will probably work better. But if you want OD as OD is today, then the more elaborate rank structure is necessary.

2. I am team-oriented by default until a situation requires an authoritative role to be present. I prefer team-oriented, but the latter is sometimes necessary. Some readers may interpret the fact that because I am sometimes in an authoritative role to mean that I'm wholly an authoritative role then, but that is not how I see it, and as the question was about my view this will be my answer.

3. Sure. But to be afraid to provide my responses because of how others may feel about it is to allow myself to be shut down. If we want our thoughts and feelings to be known then we need to have it in us to speak our minds regardless of who else is in the discussion and what they may say in turn. If we aren't prepared to share those thoughts and feelings then we must instead be prepared to accept the fact that the world will go on without knowing them. To a limited extent I can try and curb the way I present some of my arguments to come across as less intimidating, but at the end of the day the onus is on each individual to make their own stand when they want to be heard, and overcoming the daunting challenges that come with that is a part of growing as a person and a leader.

4. I would say the most important quality in a leader is to refrain from jumping to conclusions and be careful to collect and weigh all available information before making a decision. This does not mean a leader shouldn't be decisive, I generally think it is better if they can be. But there is a difference between making a decision decisively and making a decision carelessly.

On a somewhat related note, I think the most important quality of a person is to be able to accept and learn from their mistakes. No matter how inexperienced a person may be, as long as they can identify and learn from each of their mistakes then their steady improvement is inevitable. It is possible to rise to mastery off of the sheer quantity of mistakes made to get there, and those prone to making mistakes should not be mistaken as being incompetent because of it.

5. My favorite thing about OD is its diversity. Gaming has its own culture, but people are people no matter where you go and in a lot of ways OD is a miniature reflection of the different societies of people in the world at large. Thanks to that, OD has expanded my knowledge on working with and managing people of different types to great amounts. It has given me the opportunity to hear and experience different views and better understand how people came to adopt those views. It is the diversity in OD that often causes the disputes and drama, and what generally causes people to yell at me a lot during certain particularly passionate moments, but the process of learning to deal with, resolve, and overcome each of those challenges has steadily made me a smarter, wiser, and more capable person. And for me, personal growth and self-improvement is a very fundamental part of myself, and it is a wealth worth more than any amount of money ever could.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Terra said:

Oh I'm not really all that complicated, mostly just a gamer that loves a good beer and has a tendency to talk a lot. It is not me that is complicated, more often it is the situations and problems we are faced with that are. Me personally, I'm pretty simple, I advocate truth and honesty, believe strongly in seeing the world for what it is and not what we want it to be, and push people to think and look at things through different perspectives. That about sums me up. Mostly the beer part though more than that other stuff.

1. The short answer is yes, but there are paragraphs and paragraphs that could be written on the complexity of this question and its answer. It isn't that communities with more simple structures can't work, they certainly can, but it depends a lot on the kind of community you want to be. OD is expansive and diverse, and to be a large and broad community like we are the rank structure is essential for a long-lasting lifespan. Many gamers will look at the rank structure as pointless and unnecessarily complicated. Dedicated gamers aren't going to care about ranks or the power that comes with it right up until someone with power starts using it in a way they don't like, then suddenly they start to care a lot about who gets what rank and the power that goes with it. The ranks are a careful system of organization. They are a consistent system of reward. They are a method of inclusion, and a platform for all members to give voice to their thoughts in the form of votes.

If what you want is a smaller dedicated group focused on a single game then a simpler rank structure with a single leader will probably work better. But if you want OD as OD is today, then the more elaborate rank structure is necessary.

2. I am team-oriented by default until a situation requires an authoritative role to be present. I prefer team-oriented, but the latter is sometimes necessary. Some readers may interpret the fact that because I am sometimes in an authoritative role to mean that I'm wholly an authoritative role then, but that is not how I see it, and as the question was about my view this will be my answer.

3. Sure. But to be afraid to provide my responses because of how others may feel about it is to allow myself to be shut down. If we want our thoughts and feelings to be known then we need to have it in us to speak our minds regardless of who else is in the discussion and what they may say in turn. If we aren't prepared to share those thoughts and feelings then we must instead be prepared to accept the fact that the world will go on without knowing them. To a limited extent I can try and curb the way I present some of my arguments to come across as less intimidating, but at the end of the day the onus is on each individual to make their own stand when they want to be heard, and overcoming the daunting challenges that come with that is a part of growing as a person and a leader.

4. I would say the most important quality in a leader is to refrain from jumping to conclusions and be careful to collect and weigh all available information before making a decision. This does not mean a leader shouldn't be decisive, I generally think it is better if they can be. But there is a difference between making a decision decisively and making a decision carelessly.

On a somewhat related note, I think the most important quality of a person is to be able to accept and learn from their mistakes. No matter how inexperienced a person may be, as long as they can identify and learn from each of their mistakes then their steady improvement is inevitable. It is possible to rise to mastery off of the sheer quantity of mistakes made to get there, and those prone to making mistakes should not be mistaken as being incompetent because of it.

5. My favorite thing about OD is its diversity. Gaming has its own culture, but people are people no matter where you go and in a lot of ways OD is a miniature reflection of the different societies of people in the world at large. Thanks to that, OD has expanded my knowledge on working with and managing people of different types to great amounts. It has given me the opportunity to hear and experience different views and better understand how people came to adopt those views. It is the diversity in OD that often causes the disputes and drama, and what generally causes people to yell at me a lot during certain particularly passionate moments, but the process of learning to deal with, resolve, and overcome each of those challenges has steadily made me a smarter, wiser, and more capable person. And for me, personal growth and self-improvement is a very fundamental part of myself, and it is a wealth worth more than any amount of money ever could.

Thanks.  Those were some expert answers and let's us see you from a broader perspective.

• Upvote 1

Terra, Although we have never talked directly I appreciate your effort and time you put towards making OD a great clan and gaming community with little or no personal benefit or may I say for a greater good, something bigger then oneself.

Question 1 : What issues would you have with relinquishing your position to a candidate that could be better suited to carry out your duties, tasks, responsibilities and your legacy?

Question 2 : Do you have a response to my thoughts on this statement? 

"It is not me that is complicated, more often it is the situations and problems we are faced with that are. 

I feel this reply belittles people by implying they are complicated. Their feelings, emotions and actions to a particular issue, situation or conflict. I to wish everything was so cut and dried, unfortunately I think and feel it is not that way.

Question 3 : Do you have a response to my thoughts on this statement? 

"I advocate truth and honesty, believe strongly in seeing the world for what it is and not what we want it to be, and push people to think and look at things through different perspectives."

Everyone's truth is a matter of fact they perceive from their standpoint, honest, integrity, intuition and agenda unfortunately play a role in that. As a commander you have different perspectives based on your honorable and powerful standing in OD you carry great influence on matters one way or the other, you can first request someone to resign and if need be disable someone if the conflict is big enough and cannot be resolved by perceived facts vs someone else perceived facts in the matter of no clan rules being broken or banable actions or words.

Question 4 : Do you see a following or groups within the clan created from peoples perspectives?  and if so what are your thoughts on free thinking.

I will stop rambling now, I appreciate all that you do and continue to do to make OD a great place, Thank you.

W

On 3/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, Terra said:

Everyone knows having a bitch as manager can ruin that job's work environment. Imagine how bad things get if my manager's a bitch and the only higher up to go to is a queen bitch. I don't see how this is something that can be said, jokingly or not, to prove that you need to be a Commander.

How did this quote affect you enough to remember this one specifically?

On 4/7/2015 at 10:07 AM, Terra said:

What can you do at 1* Brigadier General rank that you can't do now

Be friggin badass?

On 12/29/2016 at 7:27 PM, Terra said:

And I am uniquely suited for that because I'm a bitch.

From my deep dive into you, these are a couple of choice quotes that to me reflect how far you have matured through the years, and I say it is for the better. Would you agree or disagree with me? I can honestly see how people can get the wrong impression of you.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, Terra said:

I do not make careless assumptions, I make decisions and judgements only after I have all available information I can get. When I do have to make assumptions, it is based carefully on the knowledge I have so far, and only when the real information is unavailable and an assumption is the only recourse.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:02 AM, Terra said:

Eterna Gaming used a condensed form of ranks just like what you are proposing here, in fact they looked at our long list of ranks as a bit of a joke, and kind of scoffed at us for it. That Clan is dead now. It's domain is now just a redirect to a Japanese website for freelance work. It fell apart because one of its Administrators decided they didn't agree with the other two anymore and caused a power struggle that ripped their community apart.

That doesn't happen in OD. The long list of ranks that Eterna Gaming thought was so ridiculous allows us to meticulously prepare those who *are* interested in advancement and administration. The people who earn the top ranks are not those who have shown good teamwork and initiative once, but continuously, throughout their climb up the ladder. They have the chance to practice and refine their judgement and leadership traits consistently so that by the time they reach the ranks of authority they know how to handle it, and we know they can handle it. That is why we are still here four years later and Eterna Gaming is not.

If you want to condense the ranks, then convince me that we won't end up like them if we do.

This comment still comes to my mind in the word assumptions as we have no idea if Eterna Gaming having more ranks like OD could of even saved it from its own demise. I would point out that if R.ag were to leave in the same fashion and take everything with him then we would be in the same boat to be honest. So would this be considered a careless assumption or just a bit of a guess?

Questions.

1. Do you ever look back at your past neg votes, and do any really stand out to you as in hitting home?

2. Who are people you enjoy having on the forums?

3. Do you think you have a good line up of Generals and Commanders, if not how can they be better?

4. Has there been a person who left OD that you were sad to see go? 

5. What is a example of a joke you made getting blown out of proportion?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MineNotYour(OD) said:

Terra, Although we have never talked directly I appreciate your effort and time you put towards making OD a great clan and gaming community with little or no personal benefit or may I say for a greater good, something bigger then oneself.

Thanks, I appreciate the time and effort you put into making OD a great clan too.

Question 1 : What issues would you have with relinquishing your position to a candidate that could be better suited to carry out your duties, tasks, responsibilities and your legacy?

Question 2 : Do you have a response to my thoughts on this statement? 

"It is not me that is complicated, more often it is the situations and problems we are faced with that are. 

I feel this reply belittles people by implying they are complicated. Their feelings, emotions and actions to a particular issue, situation or conflict. I to wish everything was so cut and dried, unfortunately I think and feel it is not that way.

Question 3 : Do you have a response to my thoughts on this statement? 

"I advocate truth and honesty, believe strongly in seeing the world for what it is and not what we want it to be, and push people to think and look at things through different perspectives."

Everyone's truth is a matter of fact they perceive from their standpoint, honest, integrity, intuition and agenda unfortunately play a role in that. As a commander you have different perspectives based on your honorable and powerful standing in OD you carry great influence on matters one way or the other, you can first request someone to resign and if need be disable someone if the conflict is big enough and cannot be resolved by perceived facts vs someone else perceived facts in the matter of no clan rules being broken or banable actions or words.

Question 4 : Do you see a following or groups within the clan created from peoples perspectives?  and if so what are your thoughts on free thinking.

1. None. I don't actually care about the position itself that much, my interest has always been in making OD prosperous and long-lasting. It is easier for me to accomplish that at Commander rank, and therefore I think it benefits the Clan more to have me in that position, but to be honest the opportunity to meet and talk with someone who outclassed me in every category would be more personally valuable to me than any rank. Otherwise I'll keep doing what I feel is best for OD in whatever capacity my existing role allows me to, and the Clan can decide where that should be.

2. My statement wasn't a reflection on people but on various situations specifically. Your response suggests that I'm interpreting situations as being complicated because people's personal emotions and actions are what make it complicated. Rather, it is quite the opposite, the most complicated situations of all are when two sides have perfectly good reasons and motivations for each of their own wants and changes. It's possible for both sides to be right but being able to choose only one option of the two. The complexity of a situation isn't dependent on the emotional state of those involved, though the emotional state of those involved can influence it.

But that, I think, is overthinking my original statement. My original statement is just that I am not actually a complicated person. If there were no problems in our world then I would be simple and boring, but complicated problems often require complicated solutions, and crafting those solutions makes me seem more complicated than I actually am.

(Yeah, we are definitely overthinking this)

No. Truth is the one thing that is not a matter of perspective, that is the very definition of truth. You are not wrong when you say that there are many subjective opinions and point of views that go into running a Clan, or organization, or many other aspects of the world. But an opinion is not a truth, it is the best guess of the evaluator on what the truth is when the truth is not apparent. And an opinion made with no effort to determine the truth is ignorance.

If a member is accused of botting, then they either did it or they did not. It is not a matter of opinion, it is not a matter of personal views, they are either guilty of breaking the rules or they are not. If your facts are perceived then they are not really facts, and should not be used. Do not fall into some silly mindset that so much of society seems to have adopted these days, believing that everything is a matter of perspective and there is no absolute right. There is, it is just a question of whether we can identify it. The people who fail to do so are wrong. And being wrong can have consequences depending on the subject and the people listening, and those consequences can extend to others, not just yourself.

So don't be wrong. Find the facts and information that are based on objective reality, not perception, and use them to guide you to the truth. In this age of rampant misinformation we all need that skill more than ever.

4. Yes. It is the nature of people to gravitate towards those who share their interests and beliefs. We always feel most comfortable hanging around people who share our habits and feel the same way we do about things. Any time you get a large enough population of people together these independent groups or circle of friends will start appearing, and OD is definitely populous enough that it has happened here pretty much throughout our history. There isn't anything inherently wrong with hanging out with people that share your thoughts and interests, for the most part it's fine for people to stick to their comfort zones. The problems come when groups with contrasting thoughts and opinions aren't able to reconcile their differences, which creates drama and conflict. And that has definitely happened throughout OD's history too.

Free thinking is good. But someone thinking differently does not make them wrong, and lots of people thinking the same does not make them right. Being open-minded is important for different groups to get along better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everyone knows having a bitch as manager can ruin that job's work environment. Imagine how bad things get if my manager's a bitch and the only higher up to go to is a queen bitch. I don't see how this is something that can be said, jokingly or not, to prove that you need to be a Commander."

How did this quote affect you enough to remember this one specifically?

Just to be clear, although the quote in your post depicts me as saying that, I did not say those words. That is Bones(OD) who said that during the evaluation that I became Commander in.

As for how it affected me, it actually didn't. I only remembered it when you brought it up because I had recently re-read that evaluation myself just a few days ago. Bones was a passionate person, but his words were far from memorable.

From my deep dive into you, these are a couple of choice quotes that to me reflect how far you have matured through the years, and I say it is for the better. Would you agree or disagree with me? I can honestly see how people can get the wrong impression of you.

I believe I have matured, but not in the manner you are suggesting by showing some of my old quotes. I still joke a lot, and I still call myself a bitch pretty frequently. This may be just my opinion, but I don't think those jokes made me immature, I think the people who took those jokes seriously were being immature.

This comment still comes to my mind in the word assumptions as we have no idea if Eterna Gaming having more ranks like OD could of even saved it from its own demise. I would point out that if R.ag were to leave in the same fashion and take everything with him then we would be in the same boat to be honest. So would this be considered a careless assumption or just a bit of a guess?

Here are facts about OD, things we know to be true:

- OD takes a lot of time (relative to other Clans) to evaluate member performance

- Our evaluation of members has improved the performance and responsibility of members on many occasions, we can confirm that by comparing their present performance with past performance, and sometimes the direct admission of those members

- We have identified problem people on many occasions who could have done severe damage had they reached ranks with more substantial power, but in almost every case that has been prevented (though sometimes not by much)

Here are facts I know from experience with previous Clans, Guilds, and organizations of people:

- There will always be problematic and irresponsible people who show up from time to time

- Placing those problematic and irresponsible people in positions of power and authority very commonly lead to problems

- Guilds that promote more casually through smaller rank systems have less chances to identify problem people before they reach those positions of power and authority

Believing that Eterna gaming would have survived longer with a rank structure based like ours is indeed an assumption. For that matter, the belief that OD could similarly fall apart if we adopted their structure is also an assumption. There is no definitive way to prove them correct (without dooming OD in the process anyway) so it is essentially my best guess. However it is an educated guess based on real, provable facts. I followed where the information was leading, and the objective information stated that all organizations that constantly take in new members will come across a steady stream of people with the potential to cause problems in certain positions, but there are proven methods for identifying and stopping those problem people over a period of time. Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that communities that employ those methods more frequently before those individuals reach positions in which they can create problems will be more likely to catch them before harm is done, and the community is less likely to sustain potentially fatal damage. Eterna gaming did not have many opportunities to employ those methods, and the end result of their community seems to support the conclusion of what can happen.

It does not mean that people who rise up a longer ladder of ranks are completely incapable of committing grievous mistakes or atrocities, all people have it in them to do harm if they so choose. But some people are more susceptible to temptations and certain proclivities than others, and ultimately what you want is the people most likely to use powers wisely and responsibly in the positions that have those powers. And that is something all available information suggests that OD is very good at, even though it might annoy some people in the process. =P

TL;DR: It is an assumption, which is a guess. But it is not a careless one. It is directly in line with what I stated earlier when I said any assumption I make is based carefully on the knowledge I have so far.

Questions.

1. Do you ever look back at your past neg votes, and do any really stand out to you as in hitting home?

2. Who are people you enjoy having on the forums?

3. Do you think you have a good line up of Generals and Commanders, if not how can they be better?

4. Has there been a person who left OD that you were sad to see go? 

5. What is a example of a joke you made getting blown out of proportion?

1. Yeah. The joke I once made on one of Chrishodge's promotions was a bit much. Although a lot of people take some of my jokes far too seriously, or far too literally, the joke I made in that promotion is one of the exceptions. It was dumb of me, and people were justified in taking it seriously and criticizing me for it.

2. I enjoy having everyone on the forum, active forums make me happy. People I particularly enjoy are those who can give me a challenging debate with good, grounded, thought-out points representing perspectives I hadn't considered. #SnowWhiteIsMyBFF

3. We have a great line up of Generals and Commanders and they could be better in every way.

4. Tris. But then he came back (sorta) so all was right with the world again. Actually there's a lot of people I've been pretty sad to see go. Aerineth was one, before he came back. Ravemore was cool, when he could shut up about platypuses for a moment. I was pretty fond of RedIce before he left, at least until he started blaming OD for all his life problems. Terciel was great, especially when he was calling me a monster on the forum. Archie will forever have a place in my heart. Drago was a laugh. And I'll always remember MelodicRose. Oh wait, Rose is still here. Sorry dear, its cuz you're always so quiet. 😕

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Terra said:

Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that communities that employ those methods more frequently before those individuals reach positions in which they can create problems will be more likely to catch them before harm is done, and the community is less likely to sustain potentially fatal damage. Eterna gaming did not have many opportunities to employ those methods, and the end result of their community seems to support the conclusion of what can happen.

How much of Eterna's system do you know to accurately compare to our own? With out that indepth information we can only compare our processes vs theirs and ofcourse we will look at our far more favorably as we are rooting for OD. 

5 hours ago, Terra said:

Here are facts I know from experience with previous Clans, Guilds, and organizations of people:

- There will always be problematic and irresponsible people who show up from time to time

- Placing those problematic and irresponsible people in positions of power and authority very commonly lead to problems

These have happened to OD's history as well, Ray(OD) made it to a eval before he could be vented out and we had Redice taking his frustrations out as OD as well. We are not perfect, but we are arguably better at this than others, what say that other communities with a little less ranks can't do the same? 

We all at somepoint have to make assumptions, I want to know your reasoning behind them. 

6 hours ago, Terra said:

2. I enjoy having everyone on the forum, active forums make me happy. People I particularly enjoy are those who can give me a challenging debate with good, grounded, thought-out points representing perspectives I hadn't considered. #SnowWhiteIsMyBFF

Honestly I have spent alot of time on the forums because I have grown to enjoy and long for the debates we have as a opportunity to improve. I believe I have improved since then and you helped so much in that regard. Thank you, and I hope you found our interactions enjoyable.

Questions.

1. Have you ever questioned yourself as a commander?

2. Are you afraid of being vunerable or being considered weak as a leader?

3. Is there something that stands out about yourself as a flaw?

As of now I will be holding off from making any more of these posts till I feel like it is needed. Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions and elaborating on them. I had already made the decision that if I could vote you would remain at rank. You have so much as a commander and since the time I met you as a 4 star till now you have grown so much and I am glad we are able to converse deeply. Thank you for your dedication. 

• Like 1
  • Terra changed the title to Terra's Evaluation - April 2021