Community Meeting 3/20 7pm CST ×

Compfreak's 6th - Jan 2021: Commander Material?

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 6th Evaluation!

So first things first, I have been nominated by my peers to write this evaluation to potentially become OD's newest Commander... To be completely honest, I was utterly blindsided and in shock about this nomination. To even be considered as someone deserving of the highest rank in our community is a truly humbling experience, and I thank you for the opportunity to write this evaluation. I've been over it back and forth in my mind whether I have done enough to get this far, and have decided that pass or fail, it would at the very least serve to open my eyes more about what things I can do personally to achieve better. I've always tried to do the best I can to help make OD a place where people can not only game with and have fun together, but form new bonds of friendship with each other - and that won't ever change. In addition, it has been a year since my last eval, and I am one that thinks all generals should post an eval at least once per year (voluntary or not), so here we go!

To start things off, Here are all of my past evals thus far:

Spoiler

For reference, here are the current rank requirements for a Commander in OD:

Spoiler
On 3/2/2017 at 12:37 AM, Terra said:

Commanders

- Can aptly judge the direction and status of the Clan to ensure it is progressing in a manner suitable and safe for the community

- Can solve the problems that nobody else can solve

- Communicates regularly with the other Commanders to keep each other informed and on the same page

- Identifies and intervenes in any situations that pose a risk to the integrity of the community

- Attends General-Specific meetings

- Votes on all General Evaluations that take place

- Maintains the tools and utilities that the Clan depends on (voice chat, website, forum etc.) and manages the donations and payments involved in the Clan
- Overall maintaining the direction and core values of the Clan and ensuring the longevity and health of the community in all the aspects that require it are what we look for in Commander

So much has happened this past year, both in the world, as well as in OD. I'd like to first give a little background as to what I've been up to this past year personally: 

As some of you may know, I'm an accountant / tax preparer that owns his own business. While it has been a very difficult year for most, given the nature of my business, I have been one of the more fortunate that has seen record numbers of clients, mostly due to stimulus relief for individuals as well as businesses. Luckily enough, I still have my health throughout all of this, and am grateful for it every day. That isn't to say there hasn't been ups and downs either though... Though I've purchased some land intending to build my first house, I've been unable to begin construction as of yet, partially because of the inability to get required permits / variances due to recent government shutdowns, but mostly due to the prices of construction materials skyrocketing to more than double and sometimes even triple the costs, compared to 2019. While it is a let-down that I'm forced to wait longer to have a house I can call my own, it also has provided more time for me to be ready for it, so to those that know me, I choose to see the silver lining in things as much as possible... Some things are easier to cope with than others however, and shortly after I became a 4-star General, during this past March/April of 2020, OD lost one of its great leaders and mentors - Dave(OD), who was my recruiter when I joined OD's Swtor division back in September of 2015. Having spent the better part of 3-4 hours every day for 5 years with someone, it hit hard when news of his passing reached me... I would be lying to you all if I said that the more recent news of another of OD's greats, Sassy(OD), didn't hit me just as hard... I know that all of us have had a rough year emotionally, but I can take pride in being a part of this community, knowing that no matter the pain, OD is always here for us - family is family, related or not. 

"Ask not what [OD] can do for you, but what you can do for [OD]" - What has Compfreak done for OD since his last eval?

• Worked with Aerineth(OD) and JD(OD) in revamping our Donation Rewards
  • Spent hours with R.agnarok(OD), re-learning the basics of html / mysql / php, and updated the donation page on the website
  • Have continued to host Admin meetings (when it's my turn) and to organize the rotation / attendance records
  • Been the go-to person responsible for meeting recordings
  • Worked with Badboi(OD) in preparing various data analytics and spreadsheets
  • Tracking donations (including reaching out to donors to thank them, the handling of awarding the associated rewards with their donations, working with Dabomb(OD) in getting Shirts mailed out, tracking and providing analytics of donations, etc.)
  • Assisting members with updating Forum ranks / discord roles / nicknames etc.
  • Voting on promotions / trial members
  • Assisting division leaders in awarding medals
  • Welcoming new members to the community either in discord or on their introduction post here on forums
  • Available for members as needed - having discord on my phone, I am able to be notified of and respond to (within a reasonable amount of time), any member reaching out to me via DM, and help them with whatever issue they may be having, be it personal / computer / OD / IRL related.
  • Active within General / Officer / Admin Forums
  • Actively participate in the newly formed "Tech-Support" Squad helping others with various computer issues
  • Voting and participating in all General evaluations, not afraid to ask "the tough questions"
  • Assisted members with squad creation
  • Have assisted with investigations concerning problems between members
  • Thanks to the efforts of some of our commanders that paved the way during last quarter's eval period, I recently successfully proposed the abolition of the "2 question posts, 1 statement/opinion post" rule that has been a part of these evals for quite some time.
  • Assisted other Generals with the use of the AdminCP for the forums / enabling 2fa
  • Worked on criticisms mentioned in my last eval, regarding 'jumping to conclusions" by taking more of a 'back seat' approach and taking other perspectives into account before weighing in on my opinions on various topics in the general's boards

What plans for the future of OD do I have?

Having a "problem-solver" type of personality, this is one question that I've always had the most difficulty answering, both within OD, and for life in general... I tend to accel at filling whatever role is needed to accomplish the task at hand, be it serving as a record keeper, providing thoughts or ideas to help better the community experience, weighing in on or proposing policy changes, etc. This past year has been difficult to finalize / implement the push towards the 'Modernization' of OD, but what I can say, is that our team of Generals are working as diligently as possible to simplify / modernize different aspects of OD to make it as inviting and easy to navigate becoming a part of and progressing through our community's membership. Recruiting has and will always be at the forefront of any online gaming community, especially so for one such as ours. As such, it is important to me that no matter what rank we are, to remain approachable and helpful to any and all members or non / future potential members that we may come across. That welcoming and inviting environment is one of the key building blocks for success in our community's future, and must not be overlooked no matter how easy or difficult you may find it. It is my hope that all Admins in OD actively work towards creating this atmosphere, in voice chat as well as the forums.

What does Compfreak do for fun?

Those that I have helped in the past with computer upgrade paths / build lists / troubleshooting can tell you, I fully enjoy tackling challenges and coming up with build lists for any that ask!  Having still yet to find that one game that completely captures my attention and can play day-in and day-out on a regular basis, during the past year, I've been playing a bit of Arc: Survival Evolved, Doom: Eternal, GTA 5, and a few other titles every once in a while. These days, I often find myself just hanging around while binge-watching Anime - everything from classics like "One Piece", to newer releases like "Black Clover", " Jujutsu Kaisen", or "How not to summon a demon lord". If you have any recommendations of a good anime with a decent plot / humor, feel free to mention it!  

I thank you for taking the time to read / post on my very first potential Commander eval, and I look forward to your input!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welll ouuu la la, look whose getting a chance to wear the big boy pants..... (this changes nothing between us if you pass btw)

First off , how will this benefit me ?

Second off, How will this benefit me ? but in bold

I can not think of anyone else I could see in that spot, the way you handle everything with an element of class and fortitude except in football teams and choices of V8 platforms 😉 but ill let that go. 100% committed to the cause is how I would describe your role here I dont need to ask questions other then my incentives Just to let you know you got my vote

• Thanks 1
  • Laugh 1

Excellent evaluation Comp, well written and explicitly lays out what you contribute which in my opinion is above and beyond the expectations.  I have witnessed first hand during discussions on the generals' forums heated words, but when all is said and done your heart is clearly there for the Clan and it's members.  I know you love those spread sheets (thank goodness cuz I can't stand them) and I look forward to continue seeing your contributions as a Commander.  You have my plus one.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, TypeReaL(OD) said:

Welll ouuu la la, look whose getting a chance to wear the big boy pants..... (this changes nothing between us if you pass btw)

First off , how will this benefit me ?

Second off, How will this benefit me ? but in bold

I can not think of anyone else I could see in that spot, the way you handle everything with an element of class and fortitude except in football teams and choices of V8 platforms 😉 but ill let that go. 100% committed to the cause is how I would describe your role here I dont need to ask questions other then my incentives Just to let you know you got my vote

Well I think you answered both of your questions before you even asked them there... "this changes nothing between us if you pass btw"...hahaha.  But I thank you very much for the support man!  :thumbsup:.

19 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Excellent evaluation Comp, well written and explicitly lays out what you contribute which in my opinion is above and beyond the expectations.  I have witnessed first hand during discussions on the generals' forums heated words, but when all is said and done your heart is clearly there for the Clan and it's members.  I know you love those spread sheets (thank goodness cuz I can't stand them) and I look forward to continue seeing your contributions as a Commander.  You have my plus one.

I know I didn't use any purple font colors, but  only you can truly bring out the purple hahaha!😉 As for the spreadsheets, it's not so much that I love them, they are just easier to organize a lot of data and present it lol... In any case, I thank you for your support Cindy!

Hiya Comp! 

I am excited to see you up for evaluation for Commander. Is Aern retiring? Badboi? Definitely not Terra! Haha.

All jokes aside I think your contributions speak VOLUMES to the person you are. But we aren't here to evaluate the type of person you are if that were the case you would have already passed. 😉 See where this sandwich is going? *teasing*

I have both worked with you as a general, on committee's and been an enlisted within your time as a leader. I have watched you make mistakes... like we all do as well as learn, grow and adapt. You offer up ideas and while it can be extremely irritating you often times play devils advocate to give the flip side of the coin a look too. I could go on about your opportunities or wins but I'd like to hear more from you.

If you were to leave OD what would be your greatest accomplishment?

What is your greatest contribution?

That welcoming and inviting environment is one of the key building blocks for success in our community's future, and must not be overlooked no matter how easy or difficult you may find it. It is my hope that all Admins in OD actively work towards creating this atmosphere, in voice chat as well as the forums.

While this plays a large part as you mention in the "culture" of our community. This is already a given of our community and to be your ride into commander almost seems like you didn't have anything else to put so you came up with that. By the way I thought Terra was already dubbed the queen of rapport?  With recruiting being the fuel to this fire what have you done with the R&R squad to fan the flames of this goal?

What has the R&R squad done since your last eval that has contributed towards this goal?

Over the years I have seen similar to the same goal of yours always ease out of your focus with minimal results.

What actions will you take to keep this goal front of mind and of priority to you?

One thing that I have noticed we as a community have opportunity with is developing our generals. We expect them to know everything and do everything and often times we relax on our accountability towards rank expectations. I understand that life happens that is the motto of this year.

Out of curiosity what development gaps have you identified and what are your thoughts on how to address and fix those gaps. 

Do you think we need to find a way to revitalize the zest for leadership? Or out with the old in with the new when it comes to leaders?

I know these aren't I guess what you would say "easy" questions but I have a genuine interest to see the direction of the community and the leaders that are going to get us there. I appreciate your contributions as always and I definitely appreciate your willingness to accept a nomination I know these things aren't always fun.

• Like 1

Its been along time coming for you to get this chance at the big wig position. We have talk almost every day since I came back it seems like and you helped me in so many ways beyond being a OD member, but a person as well and I sincerely thank you. You challenged me to think out my views just like I have done with you, but you also challenged me to tackle issues out of my comfort zone on my own as well.

Keep in mind my friend I will not make this easy for you either as I still have to follow my view on "I do not want to think you can be a commander, I want to know you can be a commander." 

1. Will we being seeing more activity from you overall in OD in a consistent level that is not going to over burden you?

2. Its easy to say ones own strengths, but what weaknesses is there that could affect you if you can identify one?

3. Do you think you can meet up to the standards of a commander, or the confidence to be one?

4. What would you say are some of your failed that came from your actions(or inaction) directly, no outside force, and what have you learned from them?

This is all I can think of for now, and hopefully these are some hard questions to make you think for a bit. I hope to hear back from you soon.

The best of luck and confidence -LightningWolves(OD)

Edited by LightningWolves(OD)
  • Like 1

Hey Comp first I'd like to congratulate you on your nomination! You've always been there when I've needed you whether it was helping me with something that I couldn't do admin wise, helping me with PC builds, or just talking about whatever on Discord. I think you've been doing a great job as a 4* General, and believe that you have been meeting as well as exceeding all of your rank expectations. I do however have some concerns on whether or not we necessarily need another person at the rank of Commander at this time which brings me to the questions I have for you.

1. Do you think we should have a limit on the amount of active Commanders that we have at a given time and why?

2. How do you think having a 5th or 6th Commander would benefit OD?

3. What is your main goal for the clan as a whole going into 2021?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to reading your responses! 🙂

-Raged(OD)😁

• Like 1

Comp,

I have admired you ever since DBZ invited me to one of your Cards Against Humanity nights. 

You can be both serious and fun/easy-going.  And sometimes both in the same setting. 

You bring a level-headed cool to problem solving, but lead with your heart.  You don't have a problem with raising your voice a little and showing your frustrations but doing so without things becoming personal to share your point-of-view. 

You have many accomplishments in the clan during the past 6 years, with no breaks in service. 

I feel you are a straight-shooter that would make a capable commander.

You have always stepped in to help mentor me when needed, which I appreciate.

I for one, don't believe there needs to be a limit on the number of commanders or generals.  One team, one fight!

The wise bunch ahead of me have peppered you with a ton of good questions, so it makes it hard to craft better ones but here are a couple to sink your teeth in:

1.  What unique quality or skill would you bring to the Commander pool that it is currently missing?

2.  If you could only fix one thing about the clan this year...what would it be?

3.  Why do you think we keep losing good people at the higher ranks?  Respect?  Resistance?  Opposing interests?  (This is slippery slope, not trying to get you to call anyone out...it's just a concerning trend)

Good luck!

• Like 1

In an effort to not post a novel for everyone to scroll through, I decided to utilize the spoilers to respond to your questions :thumbsup::

@Dabomb(OD):

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

Hiya Comp! 

I am excited to see you up for evaluation for Commander. Is Aern retiring? Badboi? Definitely not Terra! Haha.

• Thanks for posting some good questions Dabomb! I’ll try to answer them as best I can. First things first, I could never dream of being a “replacement” for any of our current (or past for that matter) Commanders, and to my knowledge, none of them have expressed so much as a hint towards retirement any time soon. However, I can’t speak for them either, so that would be a better question for them honestly… 😉 

19 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

If you were to leave OD what would be your greatest accomplishment?

• I definitely do not foresee myself leaving OD anytime soon, but if my tenure were to come to an end today? Hmm… Well, the obvious answer would be achieving the rank of a 4* General. Out of so many members that have come and gone throughout the years, there are only a select few that have achieved this rank, and even fewer that have continued on to the next or found themselves in the same situation as me now. It is truly an honor for me to be even considered for promotion, writing and responding to questions on this eval. :thumbsup:

What is your greatest contribution?

• When I review my past 5+ years in OD, I feel as though I haven’t really contributed something that can be called a single “greatest” contribution.  I like to think I’ve made some headway in helping to create the type of atmosphere necessary for members to have fun, form bonds of friendship, get answers to questions asked, and provided assistance / advice to those that need it. As for “measurable” contributions, I’ve tried my hand at every / anything I can think of, including leading a division, participating in the rules committee, providing input during discussions / meetings, hosting community events, etc, etc (see OP for past evals).  However I believe the “greatest” has yet to come 😉.

That welcoming and inviting environment is one of the key building blocks for success in our community's future, and must not be overlooked no matter how easy or difficult you may find it. It is my hope that all Admins in OD actively work towards creating this atmosphere, in voice chat as well as the forums.

While this plays a large part as you mention in the "culture" of our community. This is already a given of our community and to be your ride into commander almost seems like you didn't have anything else to put so you came up with that. By the way I thought Terra was already dubbed the queen of rapport?

• Like I said in my Original post, I’ve always had difficulty imagining the future, in life or for OD… I’ve always taken the approach of doing my best to identify problem areas, resolving them, and moving on to the next one. What is a defining trait of a Commander, however, is being able to look further down the road than that. With life throwing curveballs like the state of the world we live in now, as drastically as it changed this past year, it’s difficult to “see the finish line” so to speak… What I do see for OD’s future, though, is a collective effort by all of our admins and  division leaders, in a combined “Great revival” of the community on a whole. One of the main reasons why OD has survived as long we have is because we are not like any other clan or community. We must play to our strengths that are special to this community, and I know that the “friendly atmosphere” that we have, is one of our biggest trump cards when compared to other clans / communities that have come and gone over the years. If it was something that only one person could achieve themselves, you better believe I would have already done it! But I do have plans to try and organize all our admins in a concerted effort to accomplish this goal currently in the making… A large part of why I believe members choose to DSL out or leave us on a whim, is that we are failing to create / maintain / convey that community atmosphere.

With recruiting being the fuel to this fire what have you done with the R&R squad to fan the flames of this goal?

What has the R&R squad done since your last eval that has contributed towards this goal?

• The R & R Squad has only myself and @Triny as its members currently, and is all but ready to be removed from the squad listing. The Squad started out with a few members that could be called upon (depending on the division / game) to help with recruitment in struggling divisions. It proved to be more difficult to accomplish in practice, mainly due to squad members not having or willing to spend their own money on a specific game. I realized this quite some time ago, and since then, decided to shift gears towards working in conjunction with our Social Media squad in helping to spread the word of upcoming events via forum / discord / website announcements while the social media squad does their thing with our various social media platforms, which can be exemplified by the recent “OD Fantasy Hockey League” announcements that @typereal is hosting).

Over the years I have seen similar to the same goal of yours always ease out of your focus with minimal results.

What actions will you take to keep this goal front of mind and of priority to you?

• Recruitment is only the tip of the iceberg,… We need to focus more on working together in grooming / mentoring newer members, especially during tier-changes while they move up through the ranks. Having a ton of new members join us is great, but without providing a clear direction and on a regular basis (even if it’s just spending time with new members in different voice & text chats), it usually ends with the new members leaving the community and we should all be working towards preventing this from happening as much.

One thing that I have noticed we as a community have opportunity with is developing our generals. We expect them to know everything and do everything and often times we relax on our accountability towards rank expectations. I understand that life happens that is the motto of this year.

Out of curiosity what development gaps have you identified and what are your thoughts on how to address and fix those gaps. 

• There are definitely development gaps throughout each tier of the ranks, and even within ranks of the same tier. Terra’s re-vamped “Overdosed Academy” has a plethora of useful step-by-step guides provided by various members (myself included), and I think we as admins should help more members by providing links to the different sections (depending on the question) to visit those forums to learn what new powers they have and how to use them after being promoted. Currently, the final section for Generals is in the process of being compiled for new / newly promoted Generals. Before this section was underway, however, I took it upon myself to provide 1-on-1 tutorial sessions with Sassy and @Purplez(OD) when they became 3- star Generals, as they then had access to a section of the AdminCP in order to help with assigning forum groups.

Do you think we need to find a way to revitalize the zest for leadership? Or out with the old in with the new when it comes to leaders?

• I would absolutely love it if we had 100% participation of our current leadership… Unfortunately, you can only lead someone to the water, but can’t make them drink… That said, being a 100% volunteer community such as ours, we can only do so much to try to entice our admins to contribute their time, participation and opinions on various matters. The only thing we can do, is to educate and guide future leaders (preferably before & while they become an admin), as to what they should expect once promoted, and what we expect from them once they become members of that rank. Promotions can always be refused by the person nominated, so if they decide they don’t want to commit to being an active part of administration, it's not a big deal. In contrast, by them accepting the promotion, they are accepting the responsibilities and expectations we have of that rank along with the powers, and they should be held to them should they choose to go through with the promotion. I feel that over the past couple of years, we have "fast-tracked" too many members to the Officer and above tiers, without the member really understanding what they are getting into, and the fault lies with us as the current admins for that.

I know these aren't I guess what you would say "easy" questions but I have a genuine interest to see the direction of the community and the leaders that are going to get us there. I appreciate your contributions as always and I definitely appreciate your willingness to accept a nomination I know these things aren't always fun.

• I wouldn’t expect any less from you Shon, and if you need me to try and elaborate any more on these answers, feel free to reach out to me. The Commander rank is not something that should be easily attained, and I thank you for your questions

@LightningWolves(OD):

Spoiler
18 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Its been along time coming for you to get this chance at the big wig position. We have talk almost every day since I came back it seems like and you helped me in so many ways beyond being a OD member, but a person as well and I sincerely thank you. You challenged me to think out my views just like I have done with you, but you also challenged me to tackle issues out of my comfort zone on my own as well.

Keep in mind my friend I will not make this easy for you either as I still have to follow my view on "I do not want to think you can be a commander, I want to know you can be a commander." 

1. Will we being seeing more activity from you overall in OD in a consistent level that is not going to over burden you?

2. Its easy to say ones own strengths, but what weaknesses is there that could affect you if you can identify one?

3. Do you think you can meet up to the standards of a commander, or the confidence to be one?

4. What would you say are some of your failed that came from your actions(or inaction) directly, no outside force, and what have you learned from them?

This is all I can think of for now, and hopefully these are some hard questions to make you think for a bit. I hope to hear back from you soon.

The best of luck and confidence -LightningWolves(OD)

Your honesty is appreciated, and I thank you for the great questions... Let's do this!

1. As many of you know, being an Accountant / Tax Preparer during Tax Season usually means I'm working (on average) 90-100 hours / week. While admittedly my activity in OD and free time to play games is severely limited this time of year, continuing to keep the balance between work, family, and OD family is a very fine juggling act and requires lots of stamina / finesse. What I can promise, is that I will continue to do my best to respond within a reasonable time frame if / when I get a private message on discord or the forums, even while I'm at work, because I do keep an eye on the forums and have notifications on my phone when someone messages me on discord. 

2. Part of the reason I actually enjoy these evals is because they help me to learn what areas I can improve on and be better at. For example, during my last eval, it was mentioned that I have a tendency to "jump to conclusions" often, and so I was able to take measures to reduce doing that. Can't fix something if you don't know what's broke, right? hahaha. That said, as I have mentioned here already, I know that one weakness I do have trouble with, is coming up with or imagining the distant future, and that while I may have no issue seeing 3-5 steps further away than most, I still am working on seeing 15-20 steps down the line...

3. I do believe that I meet most of the current requirements of the Commander rank, so that wasn't really a concern of mine when I was nominated to put in an evaluation. The struggle I was having while deciding whether or not to accept the nomination over the past few weeks, was because of the fact that even still as I'm writing this eval, I'm thinking to myself: "Wow, this is so surreal... is this really happening right now? Have I done enough to be deserving of the rank and title of Commander?". The main reason I finally decided to accept the nomination and go through with this evaluation, is to determine exactly where my footing is and where I stand within the community, and to learn what things I need to work on more, after 1 year of being a 4 star General now... So win lose or draw, I feel that I have only gains to be had as a result of this eval (also, it is fairly common knowledge that I do enjoy these evals 😁).

4.  Well, I'm not someone that dwells on failure as a failure... I do my best to learn from my mistakes. One such mistake occurred about 3-4 years ago, shortly after first becoming a 1-star General. I made the horrible mistake of going off on a tirade after drinking heavily (though it's not an excuse), only to wake up the next morning to read what I apparently wrote the previous night, saying to myself "Oh no, what the F**k did I do". A long story and many apologies later, I made the decision to refrain from doing any admin actions or responding to any forum posts if I'm not sober, and many can attest that I have stuck to that decision since then. 

Thanks for the great questions lightning, and I look forward to some more! :thumbsup:

@Raged(OD):

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Raged(OD) said:

Hey Comp first I'd like to congratulate you on your nomination! You've always been there when I've needed you whether it was helping me with something that I couldn't do admin wise, helping me with PC builds, or just talking about whatever on Discord. I think you've been doing a great job as a 4* General, and believe that you have been meeting as well as exceeding all of your rank expectations. I do however have some concerns on whether or not we necessarily need another person at the rank of Commander at this time which brings me to the questions I have for you.

1. Do you think we should have a limit on the amount of active Commanders that we have at a given time and why?

2. How do you think having a 5th or 6th Commander would benefit OD?

3. What is your main goal for the clan as a whole going into 2021?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to reading your responses! 🙂

-Raged(OD)😁

Thank you for the questions Raged! After reading your post, I find myself remembering a similar discussion in the past with one of our current commanders, and they said something that really rang true with me: "The rank doth not maketh the member. The member maketh the rank". That said, to answer your questions directly:

1. No, I don't believe there should be a specific limit on the number of active Commanders that we have at a given time, because each member brings their own personality and ideas to the table, and if a 4-star is nominated for a promotion by their peers, they must feel the current number isn't as effective as if there were 1 more added to the mix.

2. Having 5, 6 or even 10 Commanders wouldn't matter much (well, let me clarify that... of course it would depend on how many generals and total members we had... But it would be kind of funny not having any 1-4 star Generals and 10 commanders! hahaha). What matters more to me is who they are and what they can contribute at that level. 

3. If I were to have only 1 main goal for OD going into 2021, it would honestly have to be to find a way to get some of our less-involved admins to be more active in discussions and presenting ideas to improve the community and its atmosphere. We have far too many Officers and up that couldn't seem to care less about things as simple as attending admin meetings on a regular basis (I mean, it's usually about an hour or less, once a month, and it doesn't take too much effort to pop into the meeting channel every once in a while, even if you continue playing your game, only to pop in a ~ and voice your concerns / ideas for 1 minute...). 

@RadarRick(OD):

Spoiler
24 minutes ago, RadarRick(OD) said:

Comp,

I have admired you ever since DBZ invited me to one of your Cards Against Humanity nights. 

You can be both serious and fun/easy-going.  And sometimes both in the same setting. 

You bring a level-headed cool to problem solving, but lead with your heart.  You don't have a problem with raising your voice a little and showing your frustrations but doing so without things becoming personal to share your point-of-view. 

You have many accomplishments in the clan during the past 6 years, with no breaks in service. 

I feel you are a straight-shooter that would make a capable commander.

You have always stepped in to help mentor me when needed, which I appreciate.

I for one, don't believe there needs to be a limit on the number of commanders or generals.  One team, one fight!

The wise bunch ahead of me have peppered you with a ton of good questions, so it makes it hard to craft better ones but here are a couple to sink your teeth in:

1.  What unique quality or skill would you bring to the Commander pool that it is currently missing?

2.  If you could only fix one thing about the clan this year...what would it be?

3.  Why do you think we keep losing good people at the higher ranks?  Respect?  Resistance?  Opposing interests?  (This is slippery slope, not trying to get you to call anyone out...it's just a concerning trend)

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words RadarRick! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can (if I haven't already done so in the above posts... This response is getting to be long even for me! haha) .

1. Hmm... a unique quality or skill that I bring to the Commander pool that is currently missing? It's difficult to say that I do something that nobody else can do, because it really isn't the case that any of our Commanders "can't"  do the things that I do. I am who I am, and nobody else can be me! As Terra said when she awarded OD's coveted 'Medal of Honor'  to me a year ago, she pointed out that I provide a "particular set of skills" especially when it comes to logs / recordings / tracking or numbers, and have the tenacity to endure pretty much anything a member could go through at one point or another, from lost promotions to humility and criticisms, each an ordeal that lesser people have quit over in the past."  I am unwavering in my efforts to make OD a better place than when I found it.

2. I believe I pretty much answered this question from Raged (for your convenience, here's some copy/pasta):

• If I were to have only 1 main goal for OD going into 2021, it would honestly have to be to find a way to get some of our less-involved admins to be more active in discussions and presenting ideas to improve the community and its atmosphere. We have far too many Officers and up that couldn't seem to care less about things as simple as attending admin meetings on a regular basis (I mean, it's usually about an hour or less, once a month, and it doesn't take too much effort to pop into the meeting channel every once in a while, even if you continue playing your game, only to pop in a ~ and voice your concerns / ideas for 1 minute...). 

3. Well, sometimes there's that thing some people call the "Real World" or "IRL", and many people have issues they need to take care of there, which is understandable, and I believe we are (and should be) very understanding of that. "RL / Family comes first and foremost" is a common saying, as I'm sure you are aware...  Other times, there may be that one incident ("straw") that just makes someone snap and throw their hands up and quit. It's difficult to say that there's 1 reason alone causing people to quit / resign / give up, because with each personality, you'll have varying degrees of patience, differentiating opinions, opposing personalities, etc. One thing that I find tends to make it easier for me to get along with others, is my ability to take a step back and try to see things from the others' point of view, which sometimes allows time for cooler heads to prevail in some cases. Over the years I've spent in OD without a single break, people will always come and go, no matter what rank they may be, and I've learned from it that all things can and will change given enough time, be it personalities, maturity, life circumstances, grief, etc. Sometimes it will be for the better, and sometimes for the worse... Which one depends on the person and the hardship. In any case, to those that I've become accustomed to calling friends, I always offer my time to talk if asked, member or former-member.

Hope I was able to answer your questions, and I thank you for taking the time to post them! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Comp has always's been there in my growth in OD. and has helped shaped me into the leader I have become. Comp has constantly helped me out in many situations regardless of what the issue was. Comp deserves to be a commander, and will be getting my +1 for sure!!!!

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, redops(OD) said:

Comp has always's been there in my growth in OD. and has helped shaped me into the leader I have become. Comp has constantly helped me out in many situations regardless of what the issue was. Comp deserves to be a commander, and will be getting my +1 for sure!!!!

Thank you for the kind words Redops, and I appreciate the support! If you have any questions from me, I'd be more than happy to answer them as best I can!

Hi comp....I may not have always agreed with all the decisions you make, however you are one of my go to generals whenever Im seeking another opinion or guidance..The amount of work and time you dedicate to OD has really helped to improve things on the back end...Years ago when tera was being evaluated for commander, i said pretty much that she was already performing commander level duties. I will honestly say the same thing here about you....you really are just a logical choice for the next commander...i happily support your promotion....thank you comp, for your service to OD

• Thanks 1

My one question for you as a potential Commander, is just what on the forum or on the website can you make purple for me?  Inquiring purple minds would love to know lmao

• Laugh 1

Comp,

You talked about your time you dedicated with R.ag learning code to help update a small portion of the website. I'm interested if you will be joining the web dev team as an member that assist in that regard going forward. Or was this more of a one time thing to fix/update something that was particularly bothering you?

---

As a Commander you will be charged with the task of not just mentoring new leaders to help lead OD into the future. But be at the helm with your fellow commanders trying to make the best choices to keep the ship afloat. 

Can you give an example of each of the following scenarios. Feel free to be as detailed as you want(names or no names)

1. A time where you mentored a member into a new leadership position that was met with success

2. A time where you mentored a member in a leadership position who was experiencing failure

3. A time you saw a fundamental problem within OD
  3a. What was your thought process behind tackling the issue  
  3b. How did you implement your plan to fix it
  3c. Was the fix successful?

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, PoPs(OD) said:

Hi comp....I may not have always agreed with all the decisions you make, however you are one of my go to generals whenever Im seeking another opinion or guidance..The amount of work and time you dedicate to OD has really helped to improve things on the back end...Years ago when tera was being evaluated for commander, i said pretty much that she was already performing commander level duties. I will honestly say the same thing here about you....you really are just a logical choice for the next commander...i happily support your promotion....thank you comp, for your service to OD

Thank you, Pops, for those kind words of support. I still find it difficult to compare myself to our current (and past) pool of Commanders, but then I remember that they each have their own personalities, their own contributions, and their own time / efforts poured into this community, and I know that I share at least one major commonality with them: We all do it for love of the community and its members, and want to see it flourish and constantly improve. It is that driving force that propels us to prioritize the core values and health of the community as a whole, in everything we do for it. Thank you again for your support, and if you come up with any questions, as always, I'm happy to answer them as best I can. 😉

5 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

My one question for you as a potential Commander, is just what on the forum or on the website can you make purple for me?  Inquiring purple minds would love to know lmao

Hmm... Well you're pretty much the only one I can think of that has "claimed" having purple as your primary font selection in all your posts in the forum (excluding my response here 😉), and we already have a purple-ish color for the Warrant Officer ranks in discord... Isn't that enough? (I already know your answer 😆). The main problem with having purple on the main site is that our OD colors are black & blue, and purple doesn't really go well with blue... Perhaps you could create a poll in the forums to garner support to change the 'official OD colors' to purple instead, and if it gains enough support, we can definitely discuss making the change... But then we'd have all these "Official" OD T-shirts printed and in stock, with the WRONG COLORS! Hahaha guess we'll just have to get enough donations to get rid of them all first!😉

4 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

Comp,

You talked about your time you dedicated with R.ag learning code to help update a small portion of the website. I'm interested if you will be joining the web dev team as an member that assist in that regard going forward. Or was this more of a one time thing to fix/update something that was particularly bothering you?

---

As a Commander you will be charged with the task of not just mentoring new leaders to help lead OD into the future. But be at the helm with your fellow commanders trying to make the best choices to keep the ship afloat. 

Can you give an example of each of the following scenarios. Feel free to be as detailed as you want(names or no names)

1. A time where you mentored a member into a new leadership position that was met with success

2. A time where you mentored a member in a leadership position who was experiencing failure

3. A time you saw a fundamental problem within OD

Thanks for the great questions JD! Let's take these one at a time okay? (Sorry for the long post)

• Some of you may or may not be aware, but about 18 years ago, back when I was in College for Computer Engineering, I was required to take a class in HTML. It was by far, one of the most time consuming and hate-developing classes I ever had to take... You see, back then, we had to code in Microsoft Notepad, with no "debug" or review tools available other than our own eyes, not knowing if the code or page displayed properly or anything until it was time to run it. After countless hours pulling my hair out looking for a missing ";" here and there for those classes, I said to myself, "I refuse to do this ever again" (I did eventually pass that class with a C for those that care to know).  Fast forward to today where there are numerous editors and specialized programs, all with built-in debugging / syntax error detecting tools, making it 100x easier to deal with, I decided to give it the 'old college try' again... Mainly because it really bothered me very much that you, along with Aerineth and I, worked so hard on getting the re-vamped Donations worked out and approved, yet it wasn't displayed where it really counts: Where members go to donate. I found myself with some free time, so I contacted R.ag, asked what I can do to help out, and he was kind enough to give me a basic "refresher" on the things I would need to know in order to get it fixed. After many hours and much guidance, I was armed with the knowledge to help out. Within a few days later, I sent him my updated code for his review, and it was finally published. Sorry for the lengthy background, but getting back to your answer, I could see myself helping out with coding here and there, time allowing, but do I consider myself to be a "coder"? Not in the least... What took me about 4-5 hours to complete the coding for the donations page, should probably have taken a more experienced coder 1-2 hours of work (maybe less). That said, in a pinch and my schedule allowing, I am willing to put in whatever time that I can, but a coder I am not.

As a Commander you will be charged with the task of not just mentoring new leaders to help lead OD into the future. But be at the helm with your fellow commanders trying to make the best choices to keep the ship afloat. Can you give an example of each of the following scenarios. Feel free to be as detailed as you want(names or no names)

• I like to think that throughout my 4+ years as a 1-4* General of OD, I have provided many members with little bits of advice whenever I was presented with an opportunity to. Have I ever considered labelling it as "mentoring"? I haven't gone as far to, no. However, there have been a few members that I can think of where I made a conscious decision to "take them under my wing" so to speak, with or without their knowledge, and continue to do my best to help 'mold' them into better leaders both in OD and in life... I'm pretty sure they know who they are, and I have faith that they will continue their successes throughout their OD careers. Sorry for the ambiguity in my answer here, but I don't consider something successful until it has run its course 😉

• One of the times were I felt that a member I had a major part in 'mentoring' experienced failure, was a few years ago with one of my former recruits from Swtor. With Swtor all but dying out, he went out on his own to lead our former COD / PubG division, and we all remember how that unfolded... In retrospect, I do wish that I could have had more time with him to play a more active role in guiding him on how to navigate through all the bureaucracies of OD and help make things happen for his division that he wanted. Unfortunately, because of the fact I was struggling with Co-leading Swtor at the time and I didn't play those games, it made things all but impossible to maintain that 'mentoring' bond between us, and eventually resulted in the entire division leaving us. This is one of the reasons why I feel the way I do about mentorships requiring a constant interaction, day after day between the members... Moving forward, we must learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it. It is because of histories of failed leaders / divisions like this one, that I take these experiences into consideration when we are discussing things like mentoring other members, newer members wanting to start their own squads / divisions, "fast-tracking" members to certain positions, and the like.

3. A time you saw a fundamental problem within OD:

• If I am to be completely candid, a problem being "fundamental" or not, my thought process in tackling most issues are the same, which is probably 90% objective, and 10% subjective.
    • First define if there actually is a problem or not. "Is this really a problem, or is it just me that has a problem with this?" - In my time as a general of OD, this used to be a commonly skipped step by me, commonly resulting in a downward spiral of a debate with other generals / commanders, and didn't accomplish anything. I like to think that I've learned from these past mistakes 😉.
    • Once a problem is recognized as a true problem, I try to follow the bread crumbs back to the main root of the issue - What is the real reason there is a problem to begin with?
    • Starting at this point, begins a cycle of repetition until I'm happy with my proposed solution:
      • I ask myself what is the simplest solution to this problem? - Admittedly it has taken me a while to include this step, but thanks mostly to these evaluations, I've been able to learn & adapt from my past...
      • Will that simple solution resolve the problem and / or the base-cause of it effectively, or will it cause more problems to develop?
      • What is at least one more possible solution to this problem? Would that solution be more complicated for no reason / little benefit or is it worth the extras in order to resolve not just the immediate problem but the base cause?
  • One example of this, was when I noticed a decrease in participation on these evaluations over the past couple years. While an overall decrease in activity on the forums as a whole is noted and will require a conjoined effort by many to resolve, I asked myself "what could be the root cause of reduced participation on evaluations specifically?". When some of our current Commanders last eval period, made it a point to "waive" the "2 question / 1opinion" rule that was implemented a year or so back and it resulted in an increase in participation and was well received by the community, something just clicked with me, and my 'gut instinct' idea for a solution was planted - abolish the rule! That example caused me to believe this rule made our General's evaluations too strict and off-putting to most members, and the simplest solution was abolishing this rule, providing the freedom for some much needed levity during what most generals would say is a stressful time.

• During our General's Eval Nomination meetings, we always begin by asking if anyone has any proposed changes to the current evaluation system. Knowing this, I simply spoke up and voiced my concerns about how since implementing this rule, there has been little to no room for any back-and-forth discussions, 'banter', and much needed levity. From there, I cited examples of recent evals that waived the rule, which were met with increased positive response from the community as well as the persons being evaluated. It was voted upon ahead of the nominations this past 'eval meeting', and was passed / implemented.

• A few members came to me asking if the rule was still in effect over the past couple weeks, and after I replied that the rule is no longer, they expressed happiness that they were no longer limited in their voices. In addition, once word spreads that the rule is no more, I anticipate an overall positive reaction from the community compared to previous evals while that rule was in effect - Time will certainly tell, whether this rule will be necessary in the future, but for now, it seems to be relatively successful on both ends (evaluated & evaluating parties).

I hope I was able to answer your questions thoroughly enough, JD, and if not, feel free to let me know and I will try to elaborate more if necessary. Thank you for the questions again!

• Like 2

Thank you Comp for sharing that point of view on why we shouldn't have a limit on the number of active Commanders we have at any given time. I had not thought about it like that before, and it relieved me of the concerns that I had. I also like the goal you shared, and I look forward to see what ideas you come up with to tackle that issue. At this time I have no further questions. You have my support for your promotion to Commander. 🙂

-Raged(OD)😁

• Thanks 1

Wow, usually R.ag is the first Charmander to the party. I'll take this honor this time. Ironically, on all of your past evaluations, I've stated that the decision was difficult. Not this time!

First off, I'd like to address the too many cooks in the kitchen. Through trial and error in the past 20 years in this community, we've come to see that the idea number of Commanders is anywhere between 1-6. Thus, we have a opening here. Now with that settled, let me get on with the evaluation.

Deniz, you have improved significantly in the past year and I finally have confidence to give you the keys to the building. Dave would be proud. Your main opportunity, was to take your time, evaluate the problem, and assist in coming up with the solution. Sometimes other people have the best idea and our job is to keep an open mind and help on the execution of that idea. Other times, it's coming across of having a cool head and using fact-based evidence. This past year, you were even there to support me during my toughest time, I've seen you take your ownership to the next level, and continue to develop others. With that being said, you still have opportunities to get to know some of the various divisions, such that they feel comfortable approaching you when they have preventable issues that you can proactively work on. Another opportunity is to tactfully give feedback on current and perspective generals in real-time, so they can get better. Overall, you've got what it takes and I welcome you to our ranks. However, getting to 5* is just the start of your next-level commitment to the community. Let's get at it.

I've posted additional thoughts to the statements you've given during your eval. This is my opinion. Take it or leave it. The important stuff is above.

Spoiler

I believe all of the current Commanders will disagree with your statement on recruitment and they'll speak to this as well. There are three key contributions that occur: getting more people in the community, contributing to activities, and working on retention by mentoring/administrating. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you mentor or host events, there is a natural attrition that needs to be filled with new recruits. Or we could be a well mentored community of 10 members...Recruitment is the bottom of the iceberg.

You talk about the R&R Squad has me changing my position on our committees and agreeing with @Terra. Both R&R and The Rules Committees should remain dormant until there is enough interest to revive them. We are successful before their implementation and after they went inactive.

One of the best ways to envision the future of the community is to a define our mission, vision, and values. Then B, conduct a SWOT analysis and developed 2-3 strategic initiatives. Let me know if this interests you and when you have the time to spend, I can teach and co-evaluate these with you. Obviously, anyone with knowledge of our community can initiate these ideas. However, it takes the top leadership to execute the change management towards a strategy that will benefit the community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Compfreak,

I think the time you've put into OD over your several years here and the growth seen is enough to finally get a seat at the "big kids" table. You may still have some things to work on. But, I think you have the skills to do the job as needed. 

You have my support and +1 for Commander. 

• Thanks 1
On 1/17/2021 at 9:25 AM, Raged(OD) said:

Thank you Comp for sharing that point of view on why we shouldn't have a limit on the number of active Commanders we have at any given time. I had not thought about it like that before, and it relieved me of the concerns that I had. I also like the goal you shared, and I look forward to see what ideas you come up with to tackle that issue. At this time I have no further questions. You have my support for your promotion to Commander. 🙂

-Raged(OD)😁

Thank you for the support Raged!

3 hours ago, JD(OD) said:

Compfreak,

I think the time you've put into OD over your several years here and the growth seen is enough to finally get a seat at the "big kids" table. You may still have some things to work on. But, I think you have the skills to do the job as needed. 

You have my support and +1 for Commander. 

Thank you for your support JD, and if it hasn't been addressed as of yet, I am still interested to hear your thoughts on what I can still work on and how I can improve - that is the whole idea behind these evaluations right? If you'd prefer, we can discuss more here or in private, whichever is fine with me :thumbsup:.

17 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

Wow, usually R.ag is the first Charmander to the party. I'll take this honor this time. Ironically, on all of your past evaluations, I've stated that the decision was difficult. Not this time!

First off, I'd like to address the too many cooks in the kitchen. Through trial and error in the past 20 years in this community, we've come to see that the idea number of Commanders is anywhere between 1-6. Thus, we have a opening here. Now with that settled, let me get on with the evaluation.

Deniz, you have improved significantly in the past year and I finally have confidence to give you the keys to the building. Dave would be proud. Your main opportunity, was to take your time, evaluate the problem, and assist in coming up with the solution. Sometimes other people have the best idea and our job is to keep an open mind and help on the execution of that idea. Other times, it's coming across of having a cool head and using fact-based evidence. This past year, you were even there to support me during my toughest time, I've seen you take your ownership to the next level, and continue to develop others. With that being said, you still have opportunities to get to know some of the various divisions, such that they feel comfortable approaching you when they have preventable issues that you can proactively work on. Another opportunity is to tactfully give feedback on current and perspective generals in real-time, so they can get better. Overall, you've got what it takes and I welcome you to our ranks. However, getting to 5* is just the start of your next-level commitment to the community. Let's get at it.

I've posted additional thoughts to the statements you've given during your eval. This is my opinion. Take it or leave it. The important stuff is above.

Reveal hidden contents

First, I'd like to thank you for your support on this eval... It means much coming from someone that has been around this particular block as you have, and for you to say that your decision wasn't a difficult one... Thank you.

That said, if I may clarify my comment of recruitment being the tip of the iceberg... What I meant by that statement, is that when looking out on the horizon, all someone sees is the tip of the iceberg, and it isn't until they get close enough to it that they realize 90% of that iceberg is under the surface (unless of course, you're "in the know" lol). In other words, from a distance, all a new potential recruit sees is being recruited and many others being recruited at the same time (making some feel like just a number), but the real "meat and potatoes" of OD lies under the surface in my opinion, and that is what I'd like to focus on improving, alongside our recruitment efforts... Also, following the 'iceberg' analogy, is that without that top section poking its head above the surface, an iceberg will commonly flip upside down (don't undervalue the tip! hahaha). I 100% agree that recruitment is absolutely vital to a community like ours, and you will always have a turnover of members throughout the years. What I would like to try to accomplish, is working together with all admins in reducing the rate of that turnover by highlighting what OD excels at and how it's different than all the rest that come and go. :thumbsup:

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Thank you for your support JD, and if it hasn't been addressed as of yet, I am still interested to hear your thoughts on what I can still work on and how I can improve - that is the whole idea behind these evaluations right? If you'd prefer, we can discuss more here or in private, whichever is fine with me

We can go ahead and take the conversation off eval here. Thank you for taking the time to address my questions as is in such depth. 

• Like 1

I'll be up front, this one's a pretty difficult one for me. It's obvious you have many accolades during your time here. And it's no secret you've been one of the most successful Generals (4*) we've had in a long time, rivaling many who've ever held the rank. But I'm not 100% sold on the rank of Commander yet. I have some questions that could hopefully help alleviate any concerns.

You've commented about how it's difficult for you to see into the future and how to achieve some goals to reach that vision you possess. You've supplemented this with how you better find yourself simply filling the role that's needed at the time. You've further supplemented it with goals of the administration as a whole. However, a Commander needs a vision to carry the community into the future, not just the ability to 'do what's needed'. That vision is what defines the difference between Terra, R.ag, Badboi, and myself. We each have different visions that help guide us as Commanders and keep us moving forward. While our activity can sometimes leave some to be desired at times, none of us have lost that vision and continue to use it to guide us.

1. How do you plan on finding your vision and refining it to something that you can use to guide you moving forward to the future? How are you going to open your third eye? Alternatively, if you have this vision, instead of saying it's difficult to see into the future, if you can delve into this further and provide a more detailed vision you have, this would be appreciated.

In the past, you've made some decisions that were more impulsive than they were based in logic. Consider when you had made a decision while drinking several years ago. While you haven't used your console or posted on the forums since the debacle, you do still drink a fair amount. As someone who personally had the issue with alcohol, it is a concern of mine to ensure it never happens again among the Commanders, myself included.

2. While they've happened in the past, how can you re-assure us that as a Commander, those tendencies are not going to creep back up?

Thanks in advance for your responses Comp, I look forward to your answers.

• Thanks 1

Compfreak, I have a confession to make. I think you may actually be starting to grow on me. Some might call that a greater achievement than reaching 4-Star rank so feel free to edit some of your previous responses as needed.

Comedic entry aside, this is actually a new experience for me. It is the first time I have ever had to evaluate someone for the rank of Commander. And you have every right to be proud, it's a big deal if people think you are worthy of the Commander rank, in OD that is the ultimate form of trust. People are willing to entrust the Clan in its entirety to your care. You've earned that trust from several people, including at least one existing Commander, and that is pretty significant in itself. Looking back on your history in OD, and in the General ranks in particular, one would be struck with the realization that you have been through a lot. You've pretty much been through it all, actually, good and bad moments alike. But your rollercoaster ride of ups and downs are there because you've never been afraid to challenge the status quo. You think for yourself and you strive to add more perspectives to conversations, and while it hasn't always worked out in your favor (i.e. the downs) it demonstrates a form of integrity that is actually a pretty key quality in top ranks.

Even more impressive, though, is I would actually consider you as being among the most dependable Generals the Clan has. I feel exceedingly comfortable asking you for assistance with projects and changes in the Clan, and I've actually done so on many occasions, as I've never felt like you would let me down if I relied on you. When Aerineth left us a year ago and we needed someone to take over the donation facet of the Clan you stepped into the role without a moments hesitation. You were there to support the Clan during a time when it really needed that support, and that is a positive mark that will be on your record forever, from my point of view. You've worked very hard to get where you are now, even surprising me on more than one occasion.

The gap between 4-Star and Commander rank is a sizable one though. For me to support you as a Commander I need to be able to view you not just as a respectable individual, but as an equal. And as I mentioned before, evaluating someone for Commander rank is a new experience for me, so I'm going to look at it from a unique frame of mind. I will ask myself a question, if all the existing Commanders were vaporized in a horrible apocalypse and only Emperor Compfreak was left to lead the Clan, do I think Emperor Compfreak's leadership approach could lead the Clan to prosperity?

The answer is: ehhhhh... not quite.

I will say that in a survey of the 10 most needed qualities in a Commander I could give you a checkmark in 9 of the boxes, you basically own 90% of the role. But that last box is the one that has always lingered with me when it comes to your evaluations, do I believe you have the judgement and assessment capability to determine the best course of action in a difficult situation, and the truth is I'm not certain yet. And I would like more opportunities to assess how you handle some significant moments that OD will no doubt face in the future before I am comfortable signing off on it. To some that might seem pretty strict, 90% is basically it right? But a Commander rank once inherited is not easily removed, there is no undo button, there is no "let's see how it goes". That is for all the other ranks. This is the rank where we decide what all that waiting and seeing has actually amounted to. And I'm just not quite done waiting and seeing yet.

So I won't support your rise to Commander rank just yet. That said if my peers decide to vote you into it, and despite the strict requirements of the rank it looks like they might very well do so, I'm prepared to trust in their judgement and I'm willing to work alongside you as fellow Commanders if and when that comes to pass. Just... try not to annoy me *too* much on the first day.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

I'll be up front, this one's a pretty difficult one for me. It's obvious you have many accolades during your time here. And it's no secret you've been one of the most successful Generals (4*) we've had in a long time, rivaling many who've ever held the rank. But I'm not 100% sold on the rank of Commander yet. I have some questions that could hopefully help alleviate any concerns.

You've commented about how it's difficult for you to see into the future and how to achieve some goals to reach that vision you possess. You've supplemented this with how you better find yourself simply filling the role that's needed at the time. You've further supplemented it with goals of the administration as a whole. However, a Commander needs a vision to carry the community into the future, not just the ability to 'do what's needed'. That vision is what defines the difference between Terra, R.ag, Badboi, and myself. We each have different visions that help guide us as Commanders and keep us moving forward. While our activity can sometimes leave some to be desired at times, none of us have lost that vision and continue to use it to guide us.

1. How do you plan on finding your vision and refining it to something that you can use to guide you moving forward to the future? How are you going to open your third eye? Alternatively, if you have this vision, instead of saying it's difficult to see into the future, if you can delve into this further and provide a more detailed vision you have, this would be appreciated.

In the past, you've made some decisions that were more impulsive than they were based in logic. Consider when you had made a decision while drinking several years ago. While you haven't used your console or posted on the forums since the debacle, you do still drink a fair amount. As someone who personally had the issue with alcohol, it is a concern of mine to ensure it never happens again among the Commanders, myself included.

2. While they've happened in the past, how can you re-assure us that as a Commander, those tendencies are not going to creep back up?

Thanks in advance for your responses Comp, I look forward to your answers.

I thank you for the kind words Aer, and I certainly will do my best to ease your concerns...

1. To answer your first question, I'd have to say that although my vision for the future could be described as "blurred but in the right direction" right now, one could argue that you won't get there just by seeing the finish line clearly... You need to have the strength to be able to put one foot in front of the other, taking one step at a time to get there (provided you are stepping in the right direction that is). That said, I'd be a fool not to take up @Badboi(OD)'s offer here on my eval (which I've already reached out to him via discord PM) - to work with me in helping to focus that "3rd eye" moving forward.  I regret that such an opportunity to "take me under their wing" came while I'm being evaluated for the position that such a skill is required, rather than when I initially sought it out shortly after becoming a 4*, but I at least can say that it is something that I am looking forward to taking advantage of the opportunities given, taking the necessary steps to improve, now. :thumbsup:

2. In regards to your second concern, I can honestly say that I can agree with you. After I learned the 'hard way' several years ago, the poor decisions I made while drinking have no place in a position of authority - that goes for life lessons as well as within OD. How I have ensured that it doesn't happen again, is treating the forums / console actions no different than were I at work and with a client. While I sure do enjoy letting loose occasionally in my free time at home, I know that there is ZERO room for anything altering my mind / judgement in the accounting field I work in, as it could quite possibly cost my clients (and my business) thousands of dollars with something as simple as an extra zero in the wrong place, or as small as a misplaced decimal point - not to mention the 'bad press' my business could receive, ultimately forcing me to lose it all. I decided 10 years ago that I am not willing to jeopardize any of that at work, and have come to treat the forums / console actions just as seriously. I also hope that all admins, current and future, can learn from my past mistakes and not repeat them.

If you have any further questions, as you know, my door is always open, during an eval or not.

3 hours ago, Terra said:

Compfreak, I have a confession to make. I think you may actually be starting to grow on me. Some might call that a greater achievement than reaching 4-Star rank so feel free to edit some of your previous responses as needed.

Comedic entry aside, this is actually a new experience for me. It is the first time I have ever had to evaluate someone for the rank of Commander. And you have every right to be proud, it's a big deal if people think you are worthy of the Commander rank, in OD that is the ultimate form of trust. People are willing to entrust the Clan in its entirety to your care. You've earned that trust from several people, including at least one existing Commander, and that is pretty significant in itself. Looking back on your history in OD, and in the General ranks in particular, one would be struck with the realization that you have been through a lot. You've pretty much been through it all, actually, good and bad moments alike. But your rollercoaster ride of ups and downs are there because you've never been afraid to challenge the status quo. You think for yourself and you strive to add more perspectives to conversations, and while it hasn't always worked out in your favor (i.e. the downs) it demonstrates a form of integrity that is actually a pretty key quality in top ranks.

Even more impressive, though, is I would actually consider you as being among the most dependable Generals the Clan has. I feel exceedingly comfortable asking you for assistance with projects and changes in the Clan, and I've actually done so on many occasions, as I've never felt like you would let me down if I relied on you. When Aerineth left us a year ago and we needed someone to take over the donation facet of the Clan you stepped into the role without a moments hesitation. You were there to support the Clan during a time when it really needed that support, and that is a positive mark that will be on your record forever, from my point of view. You've worked very hard to get where you are now, even surprising me on more than one occasion.

The gap between 4-Star and Commander rank is a sizable one though. For me to support you as a Commander I need to be able to view you not just as a respectable individual, but as an equal. And as I mentioned before, evaluating someone for Commander rank is a new experience for me, so I'm going to look at it from a unique frame of mind. I will ask myself a question, if all the existing Commanders were vaporized in a horrible apocalypse and only Emperor Compfreak was left to lead the Clan, do I think Emperor Compfreak's leadership approach could lead the Clan to prosperity?

The answer is: ehhhhh... not quite.

I will say that in a survey of the 10 most needed qualities in a Commander I could give you a checkmark in 9 of the boxes, you basically own 90% of the role. But that last box is the one that has always lingered with me when it comes to your evaluations, do I believe you have the judgement and assessment capability to determine the best course of action in a difficult situation, and the truth is I'm not certain yet. And I would like more opportunities to assess how you handle some significant moments that OD will no doubt face in the future before I am comfortable signing off on it. To some that might seem pretty strict, 90% is basically it right? But a Commander rank once inherited is not easily removed, there is no undo button, there is no "let's see how it goes". That is for all the other ranks. This is the rank where we decide what all that waiting and seeing has actually amounted to. And I'm just not quite done waiting and seeing yet.

So I won't support your rise to Commander rank just yet. That said if my peers decide to vote you into it, and despite the strict requirements of the rank it looks like they might very well do so, I'm prepared to trust in their judgement and I'm willing to work alongside you as fellow Commanders if and when that comes to pass. Just... try not to annoy me *too* much on the first day.

Terra, even as I am responding to you now, I can definitely appreciate your perspective. It really is quite the honor even being considered for this eval, and like I've stated above, it really is a humbling experience, as I know you are quite well aware of... I appreciate your kind words, and for even the almighty Commander Terra to say I "own 90% of the role" of Commander, it's definitely a highlight in my OD career!  In any case, no matter the outcome of this eval, I will always strive to do what I can to make OD better than the day before, and I thank you for your honesty and consideration. If you have any further questions for me that might alleviate some of your concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them, here or privately, my door is always open. :thumbsup: 

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Upvote 1

@CompFreak(OD)

as someone who works daily with accounting and auditing and taxes, is it safe to say that you know how to look at the nitty gritty.

let me pose this question to you.. do you ever audit or do taxes in a team of people, if so do you reach a point of diminishing return in the overall efficiency of the team?

reason I ask if to put an analogy to OD's leadership.  Is there a benefit to having 5 commanders versus 4.  Does it increase the overall efficiency or does it decrease overall due to increased discussion times and debate time.  (too many cooks in the kitchen analogy)

As always I have much respect for you and your a charismatic person and you actually take the time to visit my channel in discord.  I've been in discord almost daily since early December and you are one of the few high ranking generals who take the time to visit (like what a commander SHOULD do, be involved in the community)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

@CompFreak(OD)

as someone who works daily with accounting and auditing and taxes, is it safe to say that you know how to look at the nitty gritty.

let me pose this question to you.. do you ever audit or do taxes in a team of people, if so do you reach a point of diminishing return in the overall efficiency of the team?

reason I ask if to put an analogy to OD's leadership.  Is there a benefit to having 5 commanders versus 4.  Does it increase the overall efficiency or does it decrease overall due to increased discussion times and debate time.  (too many cooks in the kitchen analogy)

As always I have much respect for you and your a charismatic person and you actually take the time to visit my channel in discord.  I've been in discord almost daily since early December and you are one of the few high ranking generals who take the time to visit (like what a commander SHOULD do, be involved in the community)

Thank you for the great question and kind words @snicker66(OD)! Let's see here...

1. do you ever audit or do taxes in a team of people, if so do you reach a point of diminishing return in the overall efficiency of the team?

• Most of the tax returns that come across my desk are relatively straight-forward, and with my knowledge / expertise / experience, do not require assistance or the opinions of others to complete confidently. However, there will be the occasional tax situation or "grey area" that depends on the preparer's best judgement whether to include a piece of information, or group together with other line items, etc., that does not fall into a specific IRS guideline, but rather relies upon GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices). In these special situations, it is usually wiser to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on the matter, because although this field of work is largely reliant upon the individual tax preparer signing their name to the return, someone else in the office / firm may catch something that others missed completely. It is those special situations that I am glad to have others in my office with just as much (if not more) experience and knowledge to rely upon, before making my decision. In OD, we follow a very similar structure with all of the Admin ranks, from Officer all the way up to Commander. Each has their own perspective on various situations, with differing backgrounds and experience in dealing with certain situations. If an Officer has a situation that they don't feel comfortable handling on their own, they bring it up the chain to someone else they trust the opinion of, or make a post in the forums getting as many more experienced eyes on it as possible to get the best solution. Now, as you say, there is a point of diminishing returns in doing this, because the more eyes on it and differing opinions there are, the more time it takes to reach an amicable solution. However, as I know that you've witnessed during your time as an Admin and as a General, there have been discussions where a decision was needed to be made in a VERY short timeframe, there have been discussions that have dragged on for weeks (and sometimes even over months). We have also seen Admin meetings last as little as 3-5 minutes, and some that have gone on for 3-5 hours. Now whether those times were in any way related to the number of members attending the particular meetings, it would be interesting to see, but right now, we can't determine if that is a case of causation or correlation. Ultimately, the only answer to determine if there are "too many cooks in the kitchen", would be to evaluate how well the team works together... For example, You can throw 5 experienced chefs that have never met before on one side, and 3 people that have known each other for 5+ years but are amateur line cooks on the other side, and usually find that the team that has known each other and is able to mesh well with each other better, will often out-perform the the other. At the same time, it is more often the case that the team with 5 experienced chefs that also have experience working together over the same 5 years, will out perform both the other teams, hands down. I have known and worked with each of our current Commanders over the past five years, 4 of which as a General of OD, and have confidence that whether I continue as a 4* General or am promoted to the Commander rank, we will continue working well together moving forward, even if we historically have not seen eye to eye on all things.

I hope I was able to answer your question sufficiently, and I appreciate your taking the time to post on my eval. I look forward to any other questions you may have for me :thumbsup:.