Community Meeting 3/20 7pm CST ×

Raged's 2nd Eval. December 2020

First off I'd like to thank everyone who nominated me to post this evaluation for a possible promotion to the rank of Major General. I appreciate you recognizing all the hard work and dedication that I put into this clan/community.

For anyone who interested here is a link to my last eval. Here you will find some background information about my personal life, and my time with OD. You will also find a list of contributions I have made or currently make to OD as well as goals I that I work towards.

What have I done since becoming a Brigadier General?

-I've recruited 39 people into the clan since my last eval which puts me at 227 all time recruits, and I currently have 46 active recruits in the clan.

-I'm active and available on Discord for many hours per day.

-I train members on how to link Discord/Steam accounts to the website.

-I encouraged former members to return to OD.
I provide recruiting powers to members who need it.
I actively do admin work.(Reset passwords, edit trial members, delete trial members, re-enable members, disabled members, change names, approve IA requests)
-I actively recruit for Halo and World of Warcraft.
-I actively award medals.
-I actively promote deserving members.
-I actively vote on trial members.

-I actively communicate with other Generals and Commanders.
-I actively attend Admin and General's meetings, and listen to recordings if I'm unable to attend.
-I actively read all topics in the Officer's, Division Administration, and General's forums, and post when I feel it would be beneficial to the topic/discussion.
-I update member's roles on Discord pretty much daily.

-I helped @Hathi(OD) start the WoW Retail Squad.
-I helped bring WoW back as a division with @Hathi(OD) and @HDK(OD).
-I hosted events for Halo.
-I help organize weekly Halo events with @Jenkinns523(OD), @Geordie(OD), and @Utomneian(OD).

-I advertise Halo events to try and bring more participation as well as create the events on Discord with our events bot.
-I remind members when they have high DSL.
-I educate every member that I recruit on how to link Discord to the website once they become a full member.
-I help train and mentor @Jenkinns523(OD) on being an Officer.
-I help train and mentor @Hathi(OD) on being a Division Leader and Officer.
-I make announcements offering to teach people to recruit, and vote on trial members and promotions.

-I've helped @CAPSLOCK(OD) a few times, and helped teach him things about the clan that he didn't know previously.

-I am a co-division lead for Halo and WoW.

-I help @Hathi(OD) with organizing our raid roster for our WoW guild.

-I've helped @Hathi(OD) get our in game WoW guild to 57 members.

What are my current goals?

Most of my goals are the same or similar as my last eval.

-I would like to continue building solid membership numbers for the Halo and WoW division to help with our membership numbers as a whole in OD.

-I would like to continue finding members in the Halo division as well as start finding members in the WoW division who I can help mentor and train into future leaders of OD.

-I would like to find new ways to go about retaining members who DSL out.

-I would like continue promoting Discord activity in text channels as well as voice channels.

-I would like to continuing being as available as possible, and help as many members as I am given the opportunity to help.

Conclusion

Thank you to everyone who took the time out of their day to read my eval, and thank you for your consideration for the rank of Major General!

For anyone who isn't familiar with how this evaluation process works this is considered Phase 1. At the end of Phase 1 all Commanders and Generals will vote to see if I will move on to Phase 2.

For Phase 2 I would be put up on the promotion list, and anyone who is an Enlisted to Senior Officer may place a vote. If I ended up with 20 positive votes I would then be promoted.

*Anyone below Staff Sergeant is more than welcome to vote, but your vote won't be worth any points*

Major General Rank Expectations

- Actively communicates with the team of Generals

- Actively involved in topics posted on the General's Board

- Actively available for the members of the Clan as a whole

- Particularly successful Division Leaders with healthy and thriving Divisions

- Attends General-Specific meetings

- Votes on all General Evaluations that take place

- Presenting ideas or discussions of their own in the General's Board is considered particularly impressive

- Overall being available and helpful to all members of the community and/or strong leaders of highly successful Divisions are what we look for in Major Generals

-Raged(OD)😁

Edited by Raged(OD)
Fixed misspelling.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your second eval, your work resume as a general is extremely impressive, but I must honestly ask do you think you have enough experience and comfort in your position as a general to warrant a second star in your eyes? 

As outstanding your achievements are I also would like to know what are the biggest struggles you faced with your time as a general in OD, and how did you over come them, and if you had not then what did you learn from those?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Thank you for your second eval, your work resume as a general is extremely impressive, but I must honestly ask do you think you have enough experience and comfort in your position as a general to warrant a second star in your eyes?

Yes I am very comfortable in my position as General, and I believe I have enough experience not only from my time served as a General so far, but from all the Commanders and Generals I've observed and learned from over the last 16 on and off years.

1 hour ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

As outstanding your achievements are I also would like to know what are the biggest struggles you faced with your time as a general in OD, and how did you over come them, and if you had not then what did you learn from those?

The biggest struggle I've had as a General so far is having to tell people things that they don't want to hear. To overcome this struggle I just made myself got over it because I know it's something that needs to be done sometimes.

-Raged(OD)😁

Thank you Billy for being willing to post an evaluation. you have always been very active when you are with the clan and I give you many kudos for that.

I know you went over how you do your recruiting in your last evaluation but could you go into a little bit more detail on how much time you possibly spend with each recruit and what you think is the trick to getting people to agree and what can be changed in the recruiting process to make it easier?

I'll reserve my other questions for later that should keep you busy for a little while haha

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Thank you Billy for being willing to post an evaluation. you have always been very active when you are with the clan and I give you many kudos for that.

Thanks Cindy. 🙂

10 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I know you went over how you do your recruiting in your last evaluation but could you go into a little bit more detail on how much time you possibly spend with each recruit and what you think is the trick to getting people to agree and what can be changed in the recruiting process to make it easier?

When I recruit someone it usually takes less than 10 minutes, but I end up spending more time with them eventually in whatever game we play. Since I don't really play Halo since I started playing WoW again I try to get my recruits plugged in with other members, and encourage them to join our weekly events.

I think one strategy to get them to agree is being polite, and welcoming from the start. First impressions are a big part in recruiting because that is the only basis they'll have to make a judgement. After I ask if they'd like to join, and they say yes I always follow up with, "We have a short recruitment process that requires you to register on our clan website which is just creating a name and providing your email. Is that cool?" Most people say yes, but about 1/4 of them say no.

I think the recruiting process is pretty simple already, but I think having the option to link their Discord account right from the beginning when they register would help a lot. I think it would help with retention and some of the DSL issues.

-Raged(OD)😁

• Thanks 1

Yeah I want to point out a couple things that Raged glossed over.

In Starcraft 2 division we were having administrative issues with recruits and getting them set up properly (as it turns out by my forgetfulness on how to set up someone on discord).  Raged own his own initiative found out and reached out to me and said hey did you know about this, it should be done this way.  Boom, problem solved.  After that, I've been able to reach out to Raged for other issues (just this week in fact he helped me deal with a recruit who made two accounts after forgetting his password/email).  While, earlier in time, Starcraft 2 division lacked an officer, we have one now. But, Raged has been magnanimous enough to simply straighten things out when help was needed. Thanks Raged.

• Thanks 1

Of course, you have my full support and vote. That's undeniable, you've helped me get my bearings as a leader and figure out what needs to be done to run a division successfully. Halo is now the 2nd biggest division in the community (on paper. I couldn't tell you the true count of D3). That's no small feat with 55 members currently active, which makes up a large chunk of our community.

The only thing I'd ask is what initiatives would you support to connect the divisions more as a greater community? This is something I and others have been pushing for recently with community events and Lightning's community meetings. What do you think is a good step to take in this subject?

• Like 1

I want to go into more detail about how Raged has helped trained and mentored me on being an Officer.

Not long after I was promoted to Second Lieutenant, Raged reached out to me letting me know that he would no longer be able to host Halo division events due to Friday being the only day he was available to do it and that day becoming the day OD’s retail WoW guild was doing its raiding. After letting Raged know that I was interested in hosting BTB events for the Halo division on Fridays, I asked him for advice on admining, specifically kicking/banning someone if they were breaking OD rules. I didn’t really have any prior admin experience, and especially (but certainly not only) if I was going to start hosting events, I wanted to be as prepared as one without practical experience could be in case a situation arose during an event I was hosting, an event I was just attending, etc.. I had already looked over the main site and forums before then, but there wasn’t as much level of specific as I was hoping for on admining and I still felt nervous about it.

Raged quickly got back to me with some great advice in a concise and professional manner. While a situation hasn’t arose yet *knocks on wood*, I’ve felt much better while hosting these BTB events than if I had not asked him. Ultimately, time will tell if I act on this advice (in addition to the admining guidelines on the main site and forums) if a situation arises. However, the last things I want to do is act rashly and abuse the powers I was entrusted with about a month and a half ago, and, thanks to Raged’s mentoring, I’m confident I’ll handle things well if a situation comes up. Thanks again man and good luck on Phase I, you’ll have my vote in Phase II. 🙂

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, CAPSLOCK(OD) said:

Yeah I want to point out a couple things that Raged glossed over.

In Starcraft 2 division we were having administrative issues with recruits and getting them set up properly (as it turns out by my forgetfulness on how to set up someone on discord).  Raged own his own initiative found out and reached out to me and said hey did you know about this, it should be done this way.  Boom, problem solved.  After that, I've been able to reach out to Raged for other issues (just this week in fact he helped me deal with a recruit who made two accounts after forgetting his password/email).  While, earlier in time, Starcraft 2 division lacked an officer, we have one now. But, Raged has been magnanimous enough to simply straighten things out when help was needed. Thanks Raged.

You're welcome man! I'm glad I was able to help.

12 hours ago, Hari(OD) said:

@Raged(OD) At least 5 members (enlisted - Jr officers) from your current division shows on website must participate your eval then u get my vote 

Ok Hari sounds like a fair trade as well as even more motivation to get more of our members to participate on evals.

7 hours ago, Zakspeeeed(OD) said:

Of course, you have my full support and vote. That's undeniable, you've helped me get my bearings as a leader and figure out what needs to be done to run a division successfully. Halo is now the 2nd biggest division in the community (on paper. I couldn't tell you the true count of D3). That's no small feat with 55 members currently active, which makes up a large chunk of our community.

The only thing I'd ask is what initiatives would you support to connect the divisions more as a greater community? This is something I and others have been pushing for recently with community events and Lightning's community meetings. What do you think is a good step to take in this subject?

I support all of the initiatives we currently have in place that you mentioned with the Community events and meetings. I don't really have any new initiative, but I do have an idea that I think will potentially help make the current one's more successful.

My first idea would be to periodically have a "bring a friend" theme for one of the Community events. We could even maybe have a contest with a prize for whoever can bring the most friends. This idea could also bring in potential recruits as well.

My other idea would benefit both Community events and meetings. I think just having more advertising to bring more awareness that these events and meetings are going on would help a fair amount with attendance.

7 hours ago, Jenkinns523(OD) said:

I want to go into more detail about how Raged has helped trained and mentored me on being an Officer.

Not long after I was promoted to Second Lieutenant, Raged reached out to me letting me know that he would no longer be able to host Halo division events due to Friday being the only day he was available to do it and that day becoming the day OD’s retail WoW guild was doing its raiding. After letting Raged know that I was interested in hosting BTB events for the Halo division on Fridays, I asked him for advice on admining, specifically kicking/banning someone if they were breaking OD rules. I didn’t really have any prior admin experience, and especially (but certainly not only) if I was going to start hosting events, I wanted to be as prepared as one without practical experience could be in case a situation arose during an event I was hosting, an event I was just attending, etc.. I had already looked over the main site and forums before then, but there wasn’t as much level of specific as I was hoping for on admining and I still felt nervous about it.

Raged quickly got back to me with some great advice in a concise and professional manner. While a situation hasn’t arose yet *knocks on wood*, I’ve felt much better while hosting these BTB events than if I had not asked him. Ultimately, time will tell if I act on this advice (in addition to the admining guidelines on the main site and forums) if a situation arises. However, the last things I want to do is act rashly and abuse the powers I was entrusted with about a month and a half ago, and, thanks to Raged’s mentoring, I’m confident I’ll handle things well if a situation comes up. Thanks again man and good luck on Phase I, you’ll have my vote in Phase II. 🙂

Thanks Jenkinns! I appreciate your support, and I'm happy that I've been able to help you grow as an Officer. 

-Raged(OD)😁

• Like 1

Hello, I want to give my support to Raged. Even while im not really active as im just a casual Halo Player, i know He is of a big help for the Halo community and we all may count on him to solve any doubt.

👍

• Thanks 1

I've been under Raged's leadership in the WoW division and I've seen his name in OD for years now. Raged has really stepped up with the WoW division and I've seen lots of great leaders throughout the years in OD, and hands down he exemplifies many of the best qualities of leaders that have gone before him. He intentionally reaches out to make people feel welcome, he helps new recruits assimilate into the OD culture, always down to collaborate and I've never seen him lead in a domineering manner. It always feels like a partnership. He's active in recruiting, helps remind new people to vote / check forums, etc. Active in Discord and loves this clan. He listens to feedback and is a team player. I wholeheartedly think Raged deserves another star and will serve OD well moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

Though I am new I can offer a perspective of someone who had never heard of OD  until playing with Raged. I play WoW retail and the community can be a bit toxic, and I have desperately looked to be a part of a community that aligned with my views on helping people and making friends along the way. Raged is constantly searching for new members of OD on the WoW chat and luckily enough for me I asked him what OD was all about. He immediately responded to me explaining that though the guild was new, him and Hathi(OD) were building a community of members that helped each  other out and had fun along the way. It has been a long time since I have had this much fun with WoW, and I owe a lot of that to the community that Raged has built, and though we may not have progressed as much as other guilds on our server, I guarantee we are having much more fun than they have been. It is also important to note that we continue to grow as a guild exponentially, and this is due to Raged not only consistently recruiting members, but also because whenever he plays with someone not within the Raged community that player immediately asks how he can become a part of us. I have been developing real friendships with members of the OD community in WoW, and I am thankful that Raged is consistently recruiting and reflecting the core values of the OD community otherwise I may not have gotten to experience this first hand!

As I said I am still wet behind the ears within the OD community, and this is my first post on the forums, but I am proud that it is to give any insight to how Raged makes the OD community something that people want to be a part of. 

Sorry for the mis-post a while ago, I was on my mobile device and must have accidentally clicked the quote button on a scroll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Raged is the coolest and most helpful person in the clan. i miss having him around more in the Halo division, making me jealous of the WoW division, but he is a hardworking dude who only has so much time in the day. i don't really have much else to say, i'm better at ranting than praising, lol.

• Thanks 1

Billy,

You are a machine!  That is an impressive list you are building on.  I knew when you started visiting the D2 channel several ladders ago that you would be climbing heights and you deserve praise.  I have a couple of questions that are both easy and deep at the same time.

1.  How do you find the time to accomplish all these things?

2.  What do you feel is your biggest motivator?

• Like 1

I support you Raged, from everything I have seen from you so far you go out of your way and help out more than anyone I know!

• Thanks 1

Raged is the reason why I joined this clan. He had put out a post on the Steam forums a while back. Had he not posted there, I never would have even known about this clan. Upon joining I found what I can arguably say is the best Halo community I've seen thus far. Raged has always been very helpful from the very beginning. He takes his role in the clan very seriously and is always helping out others and maintaining contact with them. He also helps put together and organizes events in the Halo division of this clan. I've also seen Raged quite active in the WoW division as well. He also partakes in many of the events of the Halo division. He is active on the console and always looking after the members that he's recruited. He's a chill person to talk to as well. In addition, he's always helping members make their time in OD more convenient and relaxed by informing them how to set up the linking with their Discord, etc. He clearly loves doing what he does at OD and wants to make the best possible contributions to this clan. I wish him the very best!

• Thanks 1

Thank you @TomV(OD), @Death(OD), @OneSubstance(OD), @paddyspubb(OD), @Utomneian(OD), @GnomeKing@TDMX(OD), and @phoenix0fEmbers! It's really encouraging to read all of the positive things you all had to say about me and the work that I do. I appreciate all of your support. 🙂

11 hours ago, RadarRick(OD) said:

Billy,

You are a machine!  That is an impressive list you are building on.  I knew when you started visiting the D2 channel several ladders ago that you would be climbing heights and you deserve praise.  I have a couple of questions that are both easy and deep at the same time.

Thanks Rick!

1.  How do you find the time to accomplish all these things?

I'm blessed at my job with some sitting time between the trucks I help build on the assembly line so I'm usually on my phone doing clan related things during that time over the course of a 10 hour day, 4-5 days a week. I enjoy it, and it helps pass time. When I'm not at work I balance gaming, doing clan related things, RL responsibilities, spending time with my wife, and spending time with friends.

2.  What do you feel is your biggest motivator?

My biggest motivator is passing up@Sassy on the Top Ten Recruiters of All Time list. Just kidding. XD My biggest motivator is to keep this clan/community as an awesome place for gamers to come together, make friends, make memories, and have fun times together like it's always been for me for the last 16 going on 17 years.

-Raged(OD)😁

Billy I know I’m on IA but I just couldn’t not  post on you’re 2nd Eval .

You did make me chuckle seeing that about passing me FINALLY taking that top ten spot bless you lol  yeah but you ain’t passed me on the overall list ha ha , on a  serious note billy you have done absolutely amazing with the recruits you bring in OD it just show the amount time you put in because I know recruiting can be draining at times . 

Keep doing what you are doing good luck with rest you’re eval with could give my plus 1 but I can’t SaS 💙

Edited by Sassy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Sassy said:

Billy I know I’m on IA but I just couldn’t  post on you’re 2nd Eval .

You did make me chuckle seeing that about passing me FINALLY taking that top ten spot bless you lol  yeah but you ain’t passed me on the overall list ha ha , on a  serious note billy you have done absolutely amazing with the recruits you bring in OD it just show the amount time you put in because I know recruiting can be draining at times . 

Keep doing what you are doing good luck with rest you’re eval with could give my plus 1 but I can’t SaS 💙

Thanks Julie, I appreciate that! ❤ I'm looking forward to you coming back soon.

-Raged(OD)😁

• Like 1

Been playing D2 this week just to get my new toon going but I’m playing in my own billy as everyone either sleeping or at work 😞 yeah can’t wait to get back but I’ve got to not rush things otherwise I’ll end up back to square one 

• Like 1

Support for you is beyond extraordinary and I can say from personal experience you are the kind of general I want the most in OD going up the ranks, but still keep in mind I am not gonna let you have it easy from me.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:47 AM, Raged(OD) said:

Overall being available and helpful to all members of the community and/or strong leaders of highly successful Divisions are what we look for in Major Generals

Going off of this expectation alone on the community side of this, will I see a bit more from you regarding OD as a whole, if yes what should I expect? I know division work will always be your specialty, but I would love to see you more involved community wide.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, LightningWolves(OD) said:

Support for you is beyond extraordinary and I can say from personal experience you are the kind of general I want the most in OD going up the ranks, but still keep in mind I am not gonna let you have it easy from me.

Thank you Lightning, I appreciate that!

Going off of this expectation alone on the community side of this, will I see a bit more from you regarding OD as a whole, if yes what should I expect? I know division work will always be your specialty, but I would love to see you more involved community wide.

Personally I feel that I already meet the expectation that you quoted, and I will list some reasons as to why I feel this way.

1. I am available to all members on Discord, the website, and the forum at least 70-80 hours per week.

2. Anytime I see someone needs help on Discord or the forum or if someone reaches out to me in a private message I usually help them instantly if not then within an hour or two) Most of the time this kind if thing is not seen by the public.

3. I help lead 2 divisions which as everyone knows helping lead 1 division takes a lot of time as it is.

4. I interact and have friendships with more than just people from the divisions I'm in.

5. I participate in discussions on the General's board that affect OD as a whole.

If you're asking if I will ever attend a Community meeting or event then my answer is yes if they ever end up working with my schedule. As of now Community meetings and events haven't worked with my schedule because Saturdays and Sundays are mostly reserved for my wife, family, and friends.

I hope this was enough insight to give you a different view on my involvement with the OD community as a whole. Let me know If there was anything else that you were thinking of that you'd like me to more involved in specifically.

-Raged(OD)😁

Edited by Raged(OD)