Sign in to follow this  
Aerineth(OD)

Encouragement to use MFA

For anyone playing Final Fantasy XIV, I and Square Enix strongly encourage attaching the One-Time Password. This is Square Enix's Multi-Factor Authentication.

There were some recent breaches that have left some users posting on Reddit and other sites that their account was randomly suspended with no explanation given. Some were resolved in weeks, and some were much longer (up to 3 months) before their account was re-instated. This re-emphasizes the essentials of security. 

Many of those whose accounts were suspended were due to Real Money Transfer bots brute forcing their way into accounts and siphoning every ounce of gil you posses before being swiftly banned by Square Enix. Unfortunately, many stories don't have a happy ending and the gil isn't returned to the players and leaves the owner of the account out weeks at a time and nothing to show for it when the account suspension is lifted.

To help protect against this, Square urges people to use the MFA as this has been happening a lot, specifically due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Be safe out there, and ensure your passwords are ultra secure.

To activate the Square Token on your smartphone, follow these steps. https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/seaccount/otp/token.html

Alternatively, you can subscribe to a token from Square for an additional $14.99 per month on your subscription if that is something you would prefer to do.. though it is not covered by your $14.99 subscription.. so your subscription will go up to $30/month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Is it free to activate the Square Token on my smartphone or is it and extra $15/month either way?

-Raged(OD)😁

22 minutes ago, Raged(OD) said:

Is it free to activate the Square Token on my smartphone or is it and extra $15/month either way?

-Raged(OD)😁

The Smartphone option is 100% free. Both myself and Aerineth have activated this on our accounts. 

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for the info. 🙂

-Raged(OD)😁

1 hour ago, JD_FKA_Xayj(OD) said:

The Smartphone option is 100% free. Both myself and Aerineth have activated this on our accounts. 

As have I... I was a bit discouraged to find out that this "free" 2fA app from square-enix requires permissions to 'make/receive phone calls'... Kind of intrusive to privacy, but is (according to square-enix) "necessary to synchronize the app to square-enix servers". I would have preferred the option to use my own 3rd party authenticator like "authy" or "google authenticator app", etc.

1 minute ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I would have preferred the option to use my own 3rd party authenticator like "authy" or "google authenticator app", etc.

Yeah, I was kinda annoyed they forced their app. I much prefer Authy when available.