PoPs(OD)

PoPs(OD) 4th Eval 2020

Hello my friends! Most of you know me but im sure theres some who do not. I volunteered to write this eval. Its been awhile since my last one and I felt its time for me to let you all know what Ive been up to and to even meet some new faces.
     I have been in clan OD for almost 5 years now. Most of that time I have been a Diablo 2 lead. Its an honor to lead the largest division in OD. With the help of my co-leads, sassy and now purplez, we do our best to keep the wheels rolling. 
My last eval was 2 years ago....Heres a link:  Its worth a read as i carry on with those duties.

During my tenure as D2 lead, I am proud to say ive had a hand in training and promoting many fine officers.    
I maintain and have maintained 3 channel bots for ODD2, online 24/7 for years.
     Mod bot: I was granted a Mod bot when i was still WO5 and have kept it online ever since. As blizzard made changes to clan channels, I had to create our op channel.

Recruit bot: created over 4 years ago, this bot has become one of our important recruiting tools

Run bot: I am the CO of our runs squad. Froggie429(OD) as my second, we keep track of all OD runs and maintain  a payout system rewarding our top runners.

I have always been more of an admin General than a gaming one. I still love my game time, but put extra effort on admin duties, problem solving. This new D2 ladder i admit  to being way behind in my toons, however everyday i answer msg's and keep aprised on our channel and our members.

Since my last eval and rise to three stars, I have continued my duties as D2 lead as well as being available to assist members and officers alike within OD. My forum activity had increased. I was given a little more access to the forums and have updated member ranks periodically, reset PWs and searched old returning members. As i stated before, I chose to submit this eval as i feel Im ready for the next rank. I am easy to find, ready to help, and have worked with our other generals and commanders. I have not hosted an admin meeting, but i have attended all of them and always taken part in generals discussions.....here is a description of 4 star general expectations:

Four Star General

- Provides ideas, resolutions, and feedback that are intelligent and carefully thought-out

- Helps host Admin Meetings

- Handles any forum needs or changes using the Forum Admin Panel

- Can support other Generals with problems or guidance and help them improve as leaders

- Actively communicates with all the Commanders

- Attends General-Specific meetings

- Votes on all General Evaluations that take place

- Overall being a visible leader of the community that uses their Admin Panel and Console powers to affect needed changes to the Clan, and can help develop the potential of other Generals and Division Leaders, are typically the things we look for in Four Star Generals

In all my dealings as a General here in OD, I do my best to bring honesty, consistancy, and fairness in all i do. Thank you for taking the time to read all this and I look forward to any questions you may have.....

Just a reminder to those not familiar with the current eval process: 

Posts are limited to 2 question posts (can have multiple questions per post), and 1 opinion / statement post, per person.

• Like 1

If you play Diablo 2 you know pops in some way or form.. No words really needed for this one. JUJUVOUCH.

• Like 1

What can i say james has been the backbone since day 1 of my visiting the od channel (bots , bans and clean runs that are available to public as well as private), kept a great standing with clansmen/woman and randoms alike . been fair and a positive attitude from the get go , i fully support pops in his endeavour's as they come along . much love bro .  you got this .

Mikey

• Like 1

Thanks for posting such a great evaluation  grumpy old man James .. 

James it has been such a pleasure to have lead such a great division with you over the years we have had lots of blood sweat & tears ( all my tears ) but you have always stayed the strongest one .. you evaluation speaks volumes at what you have over the years for OD and I’m proud to be you’re recruiter I must have done something good lol 

James thank you for being such good friend over the years to me you have even gotten to chat with my family members when I was sick you helped them to have someone different to talk with so I thank you ..

I do not have no questions for you because I know what you do have done and still do love you  grumpy old man massive plus 1 from me 💙💙

Pops,

You're for sure a rock when it comes to the D2 Division. I remember as you rose through the ranks and worked hard to support the Diablo 2 division in many of the ways you've stated here administratively. 

I can speak to the work you did as during that time I was working with the D2 division as well in regards to bot hosting. I saw the hard work you and many of the other members put forth. 

----

As you said, you are one of the leaders of the largest division OD currently has and has had for some time now. 

With that being said I do have 1-2 questions for you. 

----

As you know, recently Terra put forth the topic regarding our decline in activity among our officers. As a administratively focused General and someone who if promoted would be entering a rank that is widely known as a "baby commander" where administration is king in some regards. 

How do you feel about this topic knowing that D2 produces the most Officers and thus while may not contribute the most inactive officers but has the biggest slice of the officer pie?

----

If you were to be promoted to a 4* General you would reach a rank that few in my time here I've seen reach. This includes members like Compfreak, Triny, and Terra to name the ones I can think of and hopefully not leaving out any. 

This would put you in a place to help the community more so than you have previously with a small boost in forum powers and a step up in the command  chain. Getting that boost I would be curious what your thoughts are on a topic that another one of the D2 generals prompted on another eval. 

19 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

How important do you think that the eval process is and what do you think could be done to improve it?

----

Thank you for posting your eval and I look forward to your thoughts on these questions! 🙂 

Posted (edited)

Hi JD...the topic of inactive officers was started within the d2 leaders awhile back. Myself sassy and purplez have discussed it and we try our best to train new officers with the skills needed to succeed. D2 as well as the clan as a whole need officers....to assist in the best way they can to help out wherever they are. We have had great successes as well as some failures here. I think it starts with good training, not everyone is good at everything but each has a strength that can be helpful to the clan. that being said, we still have inactive officers....Once a member reaches officer, there really is no "penalty" for being inactive. Teras topic is a discussion to help us recommend guidelines  for inactive officers. I think there should be a limit to how much inactivity we see before a penalty is incurred.  There should be a minimum level of activity expected from officers.That topic continues.....

The eval process is importatnt...I think its definatly needed...it allows for members of this community to talk to and ask questions of the generals coming up....I have lived thru some changes already in the process and feel it  works. I dont have any ideas of now for any improvements....ty JD

Edited by PoPs(OD)
  • Like 2

James, "Get Off My Lawn" Pops,

I have been a part of this clan and the D2 division the entire time you have been here.  You are the wizard behind the curtain making everything work and know exactly when to step out and help a clan member in need, or to guide or mentor an officer.  Of all the D2 generals, current and past, you have taught me the most about how to take care of my officer duties, how to use my console, recruiting, bot stuff, etc.  Reference my eval, the other generals have also been great, helpful, and just fun people to hang out with.  Your firm but fair leadership style makes it easy for you to get the job done.  Continue to mentor me in a way that I can help take some of the burden off you and your fellow generals.  You will always have my +1.  Us grumpy old guys have got to stick together.

My only question kind of piggybacks off your answer to JD.  Do you foresee officers in our D2 division seeing demotions due to a lack of activity in the future after maybe a heads-up warning.  I do think it is demoralizing for those that put in the work see others promoted ahead of them and then see no action from them.  I would hate to have to go to demotions as a fix action but there are requirements for voting on promotions.  There may also need to be a similar list of requirements met for retention?  What are your thoughts?

Oh, and get off your lawn long enough to make your frenzy barb 😉

• Like 1

Get on My Lawn,,,lol or is it Get off my Lawn,,, i get that confused,,lol

since i have come to OverDosed in Dec 2017

any time i had a Question or needed help you have helped me,

since some people like myself have issue's with Navigate the OD site,

you help others when ever you can,

keep up the good Job that you do every day

i know you will keep doing the great job you do

oh and Get off My Lawn,,,,lol

I have a series of questions for you PoPs, centered around two subjects.

1. Sassy's absence during the prior year left a noticeable void. Knowing this I approached you back in September with concerns about this, and suggested the idea of adding another Division Leader to help divide the responsibility. However you assured me it was not necessary and everything was fine. A month or two later I approached you again, and once again recommended the idea of adding another Division Leader, but once again you told me it wasn't necessary and things were fine.

Then earlier this year we had a member reach out to me specifically about the state he saw the D2 Division in and the overall lack of leadership presence. And in the process of investigating I found that at least some of the members in the D2 Division felt similarly. I shared a lot of my findings with you and the other D2 Leaders at the time in the hopes of putting together a plan of action to resolve this. As far as I'm aware things are much better now, but at the time it was a pretty visible problem.

My questions on this subject are:

- Is there anything you would have done differently in hindsight?

- Do you think electing a new division leader at the time I had recommended it would have prevented this from happening?

- How would you evaluate your own performance during this incident and the time leading up to it?

2. Two of the expectations of a 4-Star General are "Provides ideas, resolutions, and feedback that are intelligent and carefully thought-out" and "Can support other Generals with problems or guidance and help them improve as leaders". Is there anything that comes to your mind that would serve as an example of occasions where you have done one or both of these?

17 hours ago, Terra said:

- Do you think electing a new division leader at the time I had recommended it would have prevented this from happening?

- How would you evaluate your own performance during this incident and the time leading up to it?

Oooooo buddy, have fun with that haha

Every division in OD is unique, and I would say that is especially correct for Diablo 2. There are so many variables in how this division operates, and it really isn't a one man job. What I see Pops provide daily is a platform that enables OD to be known. Scripting/Bots/Ops are all fundamentals in having a successful clan/guild. Now that doesn't sound like a very difficult job; and it may not be if you plan on just allowing the bots to run and take zero accountability. Fact is, Pops is literally within an arm length of his computer probably close to 20 hours a day. Its only after you start poking the bear, that you realize he is right there, answering questions 2 minutes after you ask them....or responding to my harassment. That approach he has, allows the channel to remain safe for members and those who wish to game with OD. 

Essentially Pops is the foundation to the house that has become ODD2; and I think at some point in time, @Froggie420(OD) could end up being his protégé. 

Another giant factor, which only beer flavored nipples can explain, is @Sassy. When people say you have big shoes to fill, @Sassy is the equivalent to Ronald McDonald. I imagine there is someone out there that can fill the void when shes not online, but I've yet to see it. You don't even have to login to bnet to see what she brings to the table....discord alone shows massive spikes in activity. The balance that is provided by @PoPs(OD) and @Sassy holds this division together. Like Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, they are a power house.

Another thing I believe that is overlooked with D2, is that how difficult it would be to get the division moving, if these 2 vacated positions. Its literally a full time job. We have seen many members take cracks at open positions when they became available, and the results just weren't the same. I don't know the actual numbers, but its fairly obvious to see anytime you login.

Anyways, no one remembers the individual accolades long term. It is the dynasties that get talked about. OD's success on the B.Net platform shaped what OD is today. Currently OD's backbone is still on B.Net, an outdated server, on an outdated game.  

Diablo came out in 2000, and these were some of the top things back then

Faith Hill - Breathe - #1 Billboards

How the Grinch Stole Christmas - #1 Top Grossing Movie

Y2K Bug

Imagine trying to keep a video game relevant from that era

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Terra said:

Hi Terra....thnx for the awesome question....here we go:

I dont think I would have acted any differently. Hindsight should make us wiser and when i look back here I see about a 4 month period in which we spoke about D2 leadership..During that time there was one d2 lead on the way out , one was soon returning....Sassy and I already new who was our choice to replace DBZ who retired. So these four months I believe there  was a perception of invisable D2 leads, when actullay I was working with Purplez, training her. At that point she was very visable in channel and was included in all clan issues and division discussions. I stand by my actions during this period. Selecting a new D2 lead was an important decision and I had to be sure the person i was training was the best fit for the job. So, during our talks, i did not make public what D2 leadership was doing in terms of a new lead. Perhaps if our members  knew, it may have alleviated some of the D2 leadership visability, however it is my judgment that the timing and the new D2 lead (Purplez) has worked out well and Diablo 2 is still up and running in an upward direction. If you ask me to evaluate my performance, id say i was able to keep the D2 division running and channels safe. I was playing in game and still answering issues and questions from members. Now we have a solid D2 lead team....thank you @Sassy and @Purplez(OD).

22 hours ago, Terra said:

Two of the expectations of a 4-Star General are "Provides ideas, resolutions, and feedback that are intelligent and carefully thought-out" and "Can support other Generals with problems or guidance and help them improve as leaders". Is there anything that comes to your mind that would serve as an example of occasions where you have done one or both of these?

I'd have to point to Purplez straight away.. I was happy to become a mentor as she has climbed the ranks... A lot of our interactions were what i called "training opportunities" She has become a valuable general and a co-lead in D2.

I can think of a time in discord, that i was in an informal meeting with 3 other generals as we talked about some "eggplants" and  felt that the intended punishment was too much so together we agreed on what ultimatly was handed down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, RadarRick(OD) said:

Do you foresee officers in our D2 division seeing demotions due to a lack of activity in the future after maybe a heads-up warning.

Well as I said to JD, this is still an active discussion but as for my feelings....I always prefer using the carrot instead of the stick, but at the end of the day, I think we do need a mechanism to "encourage" more activity from the officer ranks.

Retention is more of a different topic....as you know we in D2 have a few players that routinely come and go...I like the changes we've made to the DSL system to help returning members.

...Oh and that frenzy barb is in the process see ya out there!

Thank you rick for posting and good luck with yours 🙂

@JuJu(OD) @Sassy @Daterminaytah(OD) and @BayButcher(OD) Thank you all for reading and posting here....I appreciate not only your support but also playing the game with yous

5 hours ago, SuNSeT said:

Essentially Pops is the foundation to the house that has become ODD2

Sunset....thank you for your support... and coming from you it means a lot to me....you been around a long time and lived thru many changes not only in D2  but OD 

Edited by PoPs(OD)

On 6/29/2020 at 12:41 PM, PoPs(OD) said:

Provides ideas, resolutions, and feedback that are intelligent and carefully thought-out

- Can support other Generals with problems or guidance and help them improve as leaders

- Overall being a visible leader of the community that uses their Admin Panel and Console powers to affect needed changes to the Clan, and can help develop the potential of other Generals and Division Leaders, are typically the things we look for in Four Star Generals

A four-star general is no easy feat and seems to be about as rare to achieve as getting commander is as of late. When I think of members who make it up that far, I think of people who are well rounded across multiple platforms and branch out, making themselves visible across several games. While I can see that you are definitely a pillar of Diablo 2, I cannot say I have seen you step outside of those D2 channels fairly often. This is something I would like to see more of when it comes to an extremely high ranked general within the community.

I cannot speak to what you do on the general side of things, but your activity in boards that I can see seems lackluster on the admin side of things (Officer Boards/Division Admin) - even looking through your past post activity, it's limited to general forum threads (bonus points for interacting with the community though).

Overall, you seem to be more of a leader of D2, rather than a "visible leader of the community," as states the requisites of a 4-star general. You use your console often, yes, but interaction is also important to be considered a visible leader community-wide.

My question to you is, what would this extra star do for you that your current role does not quite fit the bid for. Also, do you have intentions to become more of an active pillar in the community as a whole?

*It is not my intention for this to come off poorly*

17 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Overall, you seem to be more of a leader of D2, rather than a "visible leader of the community," as states the requisites of a 4-star general.

18 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Overall being a visible leader of the community that uses their Admin Panel and Console powers to affect needed changes to the Clan, and can help develop the potential of other Generals and Division Leaders, are typically the things we look for in Four Star Generals

This is the pre-requisite that you are quoting here and I have been using my admin board and console powers for changes. I have helped train a general who has become a Division lead. Being visiable throughout OD all ill say here is that i am very easy to find...Ive have helped members from other divisions wherever i could and do pop around other channels when my time allows.

30 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

My question to you is, what would this extra star do for you that your current role does not quite fit the bid for. Also, do you have intentions to become more of an active pillar in the community as a whole?

One example of how i could have used an extra star, Short while ago sunset came to me wanting to help clean up our D2 subforums....He wished to see some new changes withing the subs, and to make this happened I had to reach out to Terra for help creating them....With a 4 star rank i could  have easily made the changes. 

And yes, I do intend to become more of active pillar for the whole of OD...I think that increasing my forum posts within the forums and threads you've mentioned above can help in this regard. To be honest, forum visability has always been  brought to me a something to work on, and over the years id like to think i have improved and will continue to improve.

Thank you rose for taking the time here 🙂

PoPs I have tremendous respect for your judgement and perspective, I think you have been an excellent 3-star General in many respects. But there is a big jump from 3-star to 4-star, the 4-star General rank is a very admin-heavy rank, and while you seem to have a strong administrative ethic on a division level, on a clan level there is still a lot lacking. Furthermore I find myself somewhat dissatisfied with the answers you gave to my questions, so I'm going to start with those.

I asked you whether the problems that arose at the start of the year over the lack of leadership presence that some of your Division Members expressed could have been prevented had our discussions concerning the D2 Division and its leader status some months prior led to some preemptive action, and whether you would have done anything differently in hindsight. In response you told me that everything basically went according to plan, that you were training Purplez in preparation for DBZ's departure and once you were satisfied she was ready that she would be elevated to Division Leader status to replace DBZ, and that the 4-month period in which there was a lack of leader presence was expected.

However, at the time we were discussing the status of the D2 Division and the possibility of Division Leaders you never made any mention of mentoring or preparing Purplez for Division Leadership (to say nothing of DBZ's departure, if this was actually something you were aware was going to happen two months prior) you simply told me that everything was fine. Which means you either didn't think it was worth informing me about what you were currently doing for the Division during discussions about whether something should be done for the Division. Or you just adopted that explanation now as a way of trying to plausibly explain your lack of action during those months. I'm not really keen on either possibility. I also want to reiterate that there WAS a problem, a situation in which I ended up having to get involved and had to speak to each of the D2 Division Leaders to form a resolution for, so I don't really understand how you can tell me that you wouldn't do anything differently. To do the same thing would just lead to the same problem, and if you are trying to tell me that the problem was inevitable and unavoidable, then I do not agree.

In my second question I asked for examples of when you have supported other Generals, or provided ideas, resolutions, or thoughtful feedback.

The responses you chose were ambiguous and "safe". I say "safe" because saying that you mentored someone is an easy response to give that makes it rather difficult to pinpoint anything specific to evaluate *you* on, it's essentially saying you were a teacher for Purplez and her successes are evidence of your successes, and the rest of us don't really have a way of affirming or denying it. What would have been more ideal is if you had given specific examples of you doing the things I asked in my question, particular occasions you could point to or describe in detail to say "an example of when I provided a solid idea and thoughtful feedback is when I....". You talk briefly about an "eggplant" scenario on Discord but again, you don't mention any details. All you say is that you three Generals got together and changed a decision, you don't mention what part you played in it. For all I know it was one of the other Generals that led the discussion and paved the way to the resolution.

Just to be clear, good mentors are invaluable. By no means am I saying that there isn't great value in helping people become better leaders and training them for the higher ranks, nor should you stop doing it. What I am saying, though, is using the feats of those you've mentored as a resume for yourself isn't enough by itself. At some point you need to have some distinguishable feats of your own too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So enough about your answers, let's move onto your performance. This post is already getting long-winded so I'm going to try and keep this part as concise as I can.

In my mind a 4-star General is an individual who is at the forefront of Clan decisions, discussions, problem-solving, and community management. People like calling it a "Baby Commander", which while crude isn't inaccurate. And our Clan has had a great many discussions and decisions taking place lately, many of which are likely to change how our Clan operates for years to come. Unfortunately far from being an involved part of some of the discussions there are several important discussions in which you haven't even added an opinion, including the entire segment on revamping donations, which every General absolutely should have added their thoughts in. For the topics in which you do post in you generally are not an involved part of an ongoing discussion, rather just commenting on what has already been said.

I want you to look at Compfreak's posts in the General's board as an example of what I would expect the involvement of a 4-Star General to be. Say what you will about his ideas, Compfreak is always an engaging person in any General discussion, he is always trying to throw out different perspectives, different approaches, and he makes sure that he is an active part of the process in forming Clan decisions, which is exactly what a 4-Star General should do, and what anyone wanting to become a 4-Star should be trying to do.

The last thing I want to bring up is your responses to past evaluations. I went and reviewed the evaluations that took place since January to reaffirm my memory, most of your responses in the January evaluations were pretty lackluster, basically stating that the people up for evaluations "have the skills" to be the rank they are aiming to get without really saying anything about what they did was good, or what they did that could be better. Your response to Rich's eval was a bit better than the others, but still not very specific.

I actually find this to be rather surprising, to be honest. Mentoring people is supposed to be your thing, that's always been your go-to raison d'être whenever you talk about where you most shine in the Clan. So out of anyone I would think you would be giving thorough and astute evaluations of people's performance, and unfortunately that isn't what we're generally seeing from you.

In the March evals you didn't even add a reply to people's evaluations at all. Which is kind of problematic being that Generals are required to write responses to evaluations. So not really a positive mark towards your prospects of a promotion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, yeah, that's a rough performance review. Sorry to be hard on you but 4-Star is an important rank, it isn't something that can be given lightly. I do think you make an excellent 3-Star, but unfortunately there is a huge gap I think you need to overcome before I would consider you ready for the 4-Star rank, and I can't support your promotion at this time. However I do truly hope that you take what I wrote here to heart, because if we can get you more involved in Clan discussions and the decision-making process it would be tremendously beneficial for OD. You do have the smarts, and your input is really really valuable to have, I just wish you were more interested in providing it where it matters most.

• Like 1

@Terra Thank you for the feedback. I really do appreciate it, I mean i really do. I can agree that i should be more involved in some of the talks and make my voice louder. This is something I will work on, make it a new goal of mine in OD..

During our talks back in around sept, you made me aware of a problem withing my division. I went and talked to sassy and dbz about it and what we should do. At that time it seemed almost as dbz was already checked out, I didnt know he would retire but i suspected he would step down as D2 lead. Sassy was IA with plans to return soon. I did take steps to solve the issues you brought to me...At about this time is when i started training purplez as a lead. At this point i leaned on her and made sure she was involved in division talks. From our talks terra, you should be aware of the difficulties and issue  that needed to be solved between the three of us. I regret that i was not more transparent with you here. There was still some things i was sorting out...In any event, I did my best to get thru that difficult time and correct an imbalance within the D2 division.

To clear up the discord issue i mentioned, It was my opinion that the punishment being haned to an officer, 2 rank demotion, was too harsh. So I reached out to Dabomb and a couple other generals to talk about it and as a result a compromise was reached, a 1 rank demotion..

Terra thanks again for this feedback...It is quite valuable to me. I will definatly take to hear what you have said here....also, you used the word lackluster.......I will make it my mission to never be referred to as lackluster again 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James you have several major strengths that have served D2 well for many years.  One is your knowledge of what constitutes hacking.  When a report comes in regarding a member that is possibly using third party hacks, you either know the answer from the evidence presented or you know where to look or ask for the answer.  Another strength that I have observed on many occasions is how you can be "one of the guys" and let conversations or activity in the channel go on, but when a line is crossed, you don't hesitate to step in and ban or "shit list" the account.  You are also extremely patient, when explaining things like channel stealth bots.  I had no knowledge of how to set one up when you asked me set one up for use by the D2 community, but you patiently walked me through the process.  Then when we lost the ability to use WC3 channel bots, we had to go to D2 channel bots.  Again, you and others made sure the channel was protected and covered.  You are also very knowledgeable and helpful when mentoring members to become officers.

Since becoming a general myself, I know that you've participated in a few discussions on the general board, but I also notice that more often than not, you don't chime in with your written opinion.  I know the discussions can sometimes run on and on, but as a four star General you will need to provide more input.  What or how are you going to change  your routine to make sure to write out responses and be more visible?

Pops, your ability to train and help others, giving members recruiter status, and level-headed ability to mitigate all the "drama" that comes with leading a larger division, are some of your best qualities. You use your console regularly resetting passwords for members, giving / taking away recruiter statuses, etc.. That said, it's surprising to me that you haven't voted on a promotion since January 1st of this year (and the time before that was the beginning of October of 2019). As one of the Division Leads and a self-proclaimed "Admin" General for a division that rarely has less than 5 members up for promotion at ANY given time, this makes me curious as to why this is, or was this on purpose? Do you not agree with the promotions, but "abstaining" to vote, rather than "neg vote" them? Do you not know the members of your division well enough to determine whether they deserve your vote points, positive or negatively? Could you please shed some light on why this is and your thinking behind your decision not to vote on most of your division's promotions, even if a "neutral" vote?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have maintained the role of D2's "Admin" general (as you've pointed out in your OP), spearheading discussions on potential botters, resolving disputes between members in your division, and have done much to "keep the wheels turning" within the D2 division - Which deserves praise in and of itself.  A Four-star General, as some have mentioned here, is really a "baby Commander" of sorts. They are the ones other Generals of OD, no matter which division they are a part of, look to for guidance, and the ones that Commanders entrust with the ability to make the tough decisions, lead other generals by example, and have the power to back it up (with much more power comes much more responsibility & accountability)... "Commanders-in-training" if you will... We are expected to have the ENTIRE Community in mind when forming ideas, posting opinions, being around to help those in need, etc.. One thing that screams out to me when reading this evaluation of a 3* to the potential rank of a 4*, is that everything you have mentioned as things you do in OD, is purely limited within the D2 division... So my question for you here, is why do you "feel you are ready for the next rank"? What have you done OUTSIDE of the D2 division, that you feel you are ready for that coveted Fourth star?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As some have pointed out here, your statement of:

On 6/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, PoPs(OD) said:

and always taken part in generals discussions.

has proven to be a distant opposite of the truth when it comes to policy and discussion in the General's forums. Yes, you have attended all the admin and General's meetings in discord and provided some input on some topics occasionally, but your lack of applying that famous "level-headed-ness" to topics within the General's Forum is quite concerning to me. In fact, there is a topic posted 1-month ago that Terra mentioned, specifically tagging all generals & commanders for input on our upcoming donation re-vamp (as well as a separate poll thread that was posted 1 week ago to approve/deny the changes), which will affect changes throughout the community for the foreseeable future, yet didn't even so much as get a "yay" or "nay" vote from you... Given, you weren't the only General lacking in providing input on this specific topic within the board, but it is extremely concerning to me that it lacks your input, as a current 3* Lt. General, with currently only 7 members out of the entire 200+ member community that are either at or above your current rank... So my question for you in this section, is asking why haven't you put your strengths to use on such  community-wide topics of discussion? You clearly have all the tools to make the next rank of 4*, but if you don't use them to your advantage and share / apply your knowledge, i fear you will have reached your plateau...

I thank you for taking the time to read this post, and look forward to your response my friend :thumbsup:.

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

Pops,

I was on the fence on how I felt about your eval based on your current answers, activity etc... As I've personally look into at the time of posting on your eval and as of you answering my questions. 

After taking further time to further ruminate on your evaluation and your current level of participation in our community. I can't say I'm impressed with your level of activity on the administrative level. 

I'm not going to beat the horse to death. I feel like both Terra and Comp hit the nail on the head pretty accurately and I can't see myself contributing anything much more of value. 

Currently based on everything I would have to agree with Comp in stating that you've "hit a plateau". 

I think that if you truly work on the things that have been pointed out by our clan mates here than at another time you would have a better chance at taking a stab at a 4* evaluation. 

Right now it's going to a no for me sir. Good luck!

Lol this voting system be a joke. This shit is disgusting. Idk how people judge this shit.. But Ive talked to pop more then half these people shitting on him.. SMH Hope the best for you pops but it seems the fuckin world against you.. One of the only ranked people in diablo 2 I truly respect and he just being eating alive by ranked members who barely come around or do just as "little". Idk if I would even take the fuckin rank if you DO get it.. Just a bunch of piranhas in a small tank.. @ me BROS

6 hours ago, JuJu(OD) said:

Lol this voting system be a joke. This shit is disgusting. Idk how people judge this shit.. But Ive talked to pop more then half these people shitting on him.. SMH Hope the best for you pops but it seems the fuckin world against you.. One of the only ranked people in diablo 2 I truly respect and he just being eating alive by ranked members who barely come around or do just as "little". Idk if I would even take the fuckin rank if you DO get it.. Just a bunch of piranhas in a small tank.. @ me BROS

If you are unsure of what criteria @PoPs(OD) is being evaluated on, you can reference the "Guide to Everything OD" HERE, under Heading "1.3 - Rank Expectations". For your convenience, Pops has included the specific expectations of a 4* General in his OP:

On 6/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, PoPs(OD) said:

Four Star General

- Provides ideas, resolutions, and feedback that are intelligent and carefully thought-out

Additionally, you can refer to this thread if you are having trouble understanding how we judge "this shit": 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The questions and evaluation posts of Pops' performance "by ranked members who barely come around" thus far have been in line with the expectations of the rank he is being evaluated for, and allows him to see what things he is doing well, in addition to where he can improve. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out privately to any General or Commander, and we would be happy to discuss any concerns you may have further - But please keep this topic on the track of evaluating Pops rather than commenting on others' evaluations/questions of him. Thank you :thumbsup:.

* Please count this as a "moderation post" *

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laugh 1

The downside of evals is it's easy to seem like people are ganging up on someone when one or two disqualifying qualities are being repeated, but it's difficult to avoid that when we're all judging by the same criteria. It looks worse than it is, though. We know how good of a Division Leader PoPs is for D2, no one here could ever deny that. It's one of the main reasons he's a 3-Star, which in itself is a rank few people ever achieve. But 4-Star rank is about more than just what we do for our Divisions, Generals are strict when it comes to ranks of great power. Our criticism of what he has done wrong can be looked at in two different ways, it can be seen as us being douchebags for harping on a hard-working guy, or it can be seen as the roadmap to success. An in-depth explanation on exactly what he needs to do to become better, to reach the next level. Or it can be seen as both. =P

But part of what makes us such effective leaders is that we all understand that our decisions as Generals are not a reflection of our friendship or personal relations to each other, just our best attempts at being responsible, impartial leaders. That is why I can critique PoPs on a professional level and still be friends with him on a personal level, as he can and has done to others as well in evals past. Isn't that right PoPs?

Failing an eval isn't really a big deal anyway, most of our Generals have failed at least one eval at some point in time. Myself included. Just means you get to find out what you did wrong so you can get it next time.

• Like 3

Hello Pops. Thanks for posting your eval and to start it off I would like to post a couple of quotes here.

Here was my question to @Aerineth(OD):

Spoiler

On 6/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, MooMoo(OD) said:

How important do you think that the eval process is and what do you think could be done to improve it?

This was his Response: 

Spoiler

On 6/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Aerineth(OD) said:

I think that Evaluations are pretty critical to how we appoint the highest echelon in the community. It's definitely not perfect.. nothing ever really is. I think the biggest flaw is actually the people themselves, not necessarily the system.

For example, Phase 1 is designed so that Administration (1* - 5*) can evaluate our peers. It's designed to push the individual being evaluated. And in that process, there should be a lot of questions, some of them hard, some of them easy. But there should be some kind of interaction. I've noticed a growing trend over the last couple of years, where generally speaking, we have Generals/Commanders putting forth one liners and just approve or denial of the evaluation. There's less and less interaction in the actual evaluation process. 

Firstly, I'm using 2 current evaluations; Badboi and MelodicRoses merely as an example and does not reflect on the outcome of either of these evaluations.

If we look at Badboi's evaluation for this period at the time of my post. This is an evaluation for Commander and whether he should keep his rank. We have Sassy (2*) and Sunset (Senior Officer going for 1*) both automatically approving the evaluation. While part of me is fine with this.. I find myself disappointed that the actual level of interaction to evaluate a Commander is largely lackluster, especially from our Generals (as a whole). So far, the same could even be said to some degree for my own and Terra's evaluation.

Now if we take a look at Roses evaluation at the time of my post. There is a multitude of questions from numerous people. People who want to know more about her, and people who have genuine interest in different perspectives she can provide. The interaction of those in Roses evaluation is nearly the opposite of whats happening in Badbois. Every thing that's mentioned is being highly analyzed and criticized.

While my own opinion on each evaluation mentioned is irrelevant in this example, I think it pinpoints the issue at hand. That issue being that we seem to be far more critical of some people, while less critical of others. I don't have an exact answer on how to fix this. Whether this is an issue with the system or again, just with the level of engagement we have. It doesn't explicitly depict a fair and efficient system when we do only so much for some and do an extra level of scrutiny for others.

I'm also aware that Badboi has been in the General ranks for a long time. And he's been a Commander for a lot of that time. He has a lot longer of a history to look at and fall back on while Rose doesn't. This is her first attempt. But I would personally like to see more of an interaction with all of our members.. not just those newly attempting to attain their first star.

These are somewhat of a rambling of the thoughts in my head because again.. I don't have an answer to this yet and I haven't officially decided if this is what needs to be addressed or something else that will improve this. You always want to address the problem itself, not just address the symptoms of the problem. It's something that I feel could use some work, but to actually improve it, we need to discuss it as a whole to attack the issue from different angles.

Part of what we (should) do when we determine our vote for the individual, is not only the questions that we ask an individual, but the responses made to questions from other people to paint a broader picture of the individual themselves.

You were asking the same question by @JD_FKA_Xayj(OD) and this was your Response (limited to relevant information):

Spoiler

On 6/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, PoPs(OD) said:

The eval process is importatnt...I think its definatly needed...it allows for members of this community to talk to and ask questions of the generals coming up....I have lived thru some changes already in the process and feel it  works. I dont have any ideas of now for any improvements....ty JD

I asked a question more jokingly than serious to @Terra and while she still answered the questions, this particular line stood out to me. Here is the question on her eval:

Spoiler

On 6/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, MooMoo(OD) said:

Hey Terra

I think it is obvious to anybody that sees what you do that you deserve the rank, even after seeing you in action for only a short time. As a clan leader how do you typically determine how far to let a situation escalate under your subordinates before taking issues into your own hands to deescalate it? What preventative actions would you take for the future? These questions are entirely hypothetical and not aimed at any past event, but to just pick at your brain a bit. 

On a less serious note, you write a lot of essays when you post. Would there be any way to automate a TLDR section for all of your posts? 😄

Thanks for reading and you have my support already

And her Response (relevant info again):

Spoiler

On 6/28/2020 at 5:27 AM, Terra said:

That said, if you ever come across an admin that gives simple answers to complicated Clan problems or policies, then you probably shouldn't trust that Admin to handle them.

Based on those questions and responses I have a hard time believing that your level of commitment to the clan is the same that you previously showed to rise to the rank that you are now. The responses to your answers on your own and other's evaluations appear as if you are just giving the minimal level of effort (especially considering Terra's response). 

So for my question... How exactly do you see yourself filling in the current role of 3 star and what qualities do you feel that you have that would qualify you for a promotion to 4 star? Do you feel like you have been going down a stretch where you just aren't yourself and that it can easily be turned around or do you fee as if there could be something more concerning that may need to be addressed prior to moving up?

Edited by MooMoo(OD)
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1