Terra

Terra's Eval 6/17/2020

Yo. I'm Terra. You might know me from my occasional small ventures like trying to change the entire Clan.

I volunteered to write an evaluation this season as I thought it would be a good way to give members an opportunity to ask me any questions they might have, or make requests or recommendations about changes to my approach or explanations they'd like to hear. Or you can just use this evaluation to tell me how much you love me. Or hate me. Always had a good mix of both in my past evaluations and I'm not one to break with tradition.

As this is mostly for Q&A purposes I'm not going to go into too much detail about my activities and contributions to the Clan the past 2 years since my last eval, I think most of them are pretty visible anyway. But I'll list a few of my deeds being that this is an eval.

anime-writing.jpg

OD Modernization - The plan for modernizing OD was first imagined by me and the steps involved in its process were all created by me and their progress is each supervised by me. While I can in no way take sole credit for the progress and completion of those steps since their proposal, that credit goes to the hard work of numerous individuals, I can however say that the formation of those steps involved a lot of study and discussion to determine what was needed and what was within our achievable scope. And that part was all me baby!

OD Academy - I created the structure of the Academy and serve as the editor for the individuals who have chosen to write guides for it, checking their work and making any recommendations for changes that I feel are needed.

OD Clubs - I enabled the Club system for the forum and wrote the tutorials to help members understand how to use them.

OD Forums - Cleaned up a lot of the old, unused boards on the forum and created a series of new boards to better support social media and the modernization changes of the Clan.

Automatic Demotions - I proposed the change to the website to remove automatic demotions upon reinstatement.

Partial Name Changes - I proposed the amendment to the name change rule to allow for partial name changes

General Name Changes - I proposed the change to General powers that would allow them to provide name changes, rather than just Commanders

IA Policy Changes - Proposed and led the motion to relax IA policies and allow members to make IA requests to take a break from the Clan and/or focus on real life for a while

And there are a couple other Clan changes I'm taking the lead on that are currently still in discussion and aren't quite ready for their public unveiling yet.

Those are some of the main things but as most people are probably aware I've had a hand in a great many things that go on around the Clan to a lesser or greater extent.

xygmkskofl6uhrp63mstkcoxjsacojpw-hq.jpg

If anyone wants more details then they can ask it among their questions and I'll be happy to go on, but I think this will do to start with.

As my intention for writing an eval is to give members an opportunity to ask questions, I am voluntarily waiving the 2-question limit for my own evaluation. Feel free to make however many question posts you want until you are satisfied. Or just vote to demote me if you think I genuinely deserve to be demoted.

Anime-Peace.jpg

Or vote to promote me! Commander may be the highest rank but really it's the thought that counts, right?

Posted (edited)

Terra, I have 1 question for you. will you help me achieve my long time goal since my first eval and help me get your name changed to "Failsafe"?   🤣

On 6/15/2020 at 10:35 AM, JD_FKA_Xayj(OD) said:

Convince Terra to change her name to Failsafe (This is totally a joke from my old eval in 2018. I will high five anyone if they remember where this joke came from)

Edited by JD_FKA_Xayj(OD)

There are no stupid questions JD, but this one comes pretty close.

The answer is no, there is no failsafe for you. 😉

• Laugh 1

How do you contend to deal with Type hes basically you're kryptonite, Of all the adversaries this may be the toughest one yet I mean can you defeat madness with reality is that truly a viable option?

secondly can we get a pony to live stream the OD pony

3rdly Do I have to wear pants

• Laugh 1

1. Well the thing about madness is it doesn't deal with reality, so although one can't defeat madness with reality it is the unrealistic facet of madness that it delves into so substantially that it precludes a cognitive resurfacing back into realism which in turn creates a dissonance between the two that ultimately repulses the irrational disequilibrium. In other words madness will always defeat itself.

2. No

3. Yes

Thank you for posting this evaluation terra .

You have come such along way in  just my books from that horrible bitch that I really did not like to one of the most respected clan member that I have the upmost respect for and il tell you why you have taught me a lot wether it was to guild me the right way on things like not jumping the gun to fast not to take things to heart ( which I still do ) you have always spoken to me with a level head and how to see the bigger picture on things so you’re not that horrible person from a few years ago you really are a nice person deep down you do have feelings lol . 

just one question - how will you guild me to becoming a commander ha ha that is a joke really . 

No questions from me good luck with the rest you’re eval + 1 from me  

Sas 🙂 

Well, well, well another opportunity to send some rainbows your way Terra.  I take great pleasure in posting on your evaluation.

rainbows.jpg.1b84b2faeca833b12a64a3eb68f58746.jpg

We all struggle to find a balance between our administrative duties in the Clan, gaming and real life.  What are some ways that you have found to be successful in achieving this balance?

You are always coming up with good suggestions on ways to improve the Clan in either format or rules, what are some websites that you review to cull ideas from or do you just pull these out of the unicorns?

peace.jpg.8e655dfd8e1d6c63855f867ff129bba7.jpg            

PS:  Did you enjoy D2's Meet the Commander invasion on Discord the other night?  Are you looking forward to a repeat serenade?

7 hours ago, Sassy said:

just one question - how will you guild me to becoming a commander ha ha that is a joke really .

Well I could offer suggestions and reviews along the way if that is something you were really interested in. It's not a rank everyone would enjoy though, particularly since all my attempts at getting a private bar and lounge in the Commander's Board has so far hit a stone wall.

On brighter news though, I'm glad you don't still think I'm a bitch. That's a plus, I guess. =P Out of curiosity what was it I did so long ago that you didn't really care for?

4 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

We all struggle to find a balance between our administrative duties in the Clan, gaming and real life.  What are some ways that you have found to be successful in achieving this balance?

Making Aerineth do it, mostly.

Just kidding. Balancing the work load of life is a cultivated skill, most of us have to experience what it's like to burn out at least once before we learn to take the long-term effects of a workload into account. But I can offer a few tips.

First - Delegate. Don't try to handle everything yourself, learn your own limits and then whenever you take something new on make sure to pass something old onto someone else. You can't be afraid to lean on others.

Second - Trust in those you delegate things to. One of the hardest things to do is to just leave people to do their thing. There is always an impulse to go look into things you hear about. If you hear that someone had a private talk with JD, or PoPs had to ban someone, there is always a tug that makes you want to go ask what happened and find out what it's all about. But don't. Do your thing and let other people do theirs. Even if they would do it differently than you, or wouldn't do it as well as you, or if they end up making a mistake. If a mistake happens then it happens, you can deal with it after. The only times I generally get involved in problematic affairs is if someone comes directly to me, or if a situation escalates to a point where the impact on the Clan is too much to ignore. Otherwise I'll trust in those that are involved to handle it. That's important not just for better balancing my personal stress, but also for our other leaders to have a chance to learn, grow, and experiment with what works for them. And gives members an opportunity to learn to trust and rely on other leaders besides me.

Third - When it's time to play, it's time to play. This is why I often ask people to send me PM's on the forum to remind me when they need me to do something, rather than just doing what they need right away. If it isn't something that needs to happen now then I will do it during a time I have decided to review Clan work. Fun needs to be given its own priority as well.

You are always coming up with good suggestions on ways to improve the Clan in either format or rules, what are some websites that you review to cull ideas from or do you just pull these out of the unicorns?

I don't take or weigh ideas based on other websites. It's a combination of objective thinking coupled with many years of experience helping to run Clans. I've been in many Clans in the past before OD, usually in some form of a leadership role, and I've seen how certain actions or events can affect a Clan, and how people react to them. Our current method of doing Award Ceremonies is based on successful practices of it in previous Clans. The OD Academy is, by concept, based on Officer Academies done in previous Clans, although ours is functionally going to be very different. When considering an idea I first run through my memory of any experiences that are similar to what happened in the past and how it changed things back then, and then I take stock of what information is available in OD's history or recent activities that might suggest how OD would be affected by an idea.

A lot of times ideas aren't really all that complicated if you think them through. The problem a lot of people run into is they become fixated on something they want or something they don't like and their solution is a representation of their strong feelings to just do something about it, rather than representing what the best approach might actually be. You have to stop and consider why something is happening, and whether or not your approach will make the difference you think it will. And most of the time if you stop and work through it then the answer to that question becomes fairly apparent.

PS:  Did you enjoy D2's Meet the Commander invasion on Discord the other night?  Are you looking forward to a repeat serenade?

Maybe we can just leave out the invasion part next time. Not opposed to meeting new people or planning something more official, it's just difficult to run for my life against an army of hostile aliens while someone is singing their highschool sweetheart's favorite song in my ear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terra said:

Out of curiosity what was it I did so long ago that you didn't really care for?

you was just mean real mean lol totally different from how you are now your more chilled now then before ❤️ 

Well depending on the circumstances that someone first meets me in I can see how I could still be considered mean at first. Like to think I have more pizzazz now though. I can be mean with style now.

• Love 1

I disagree on:

Automatic Demotions - I proposed the change to the website to remove automatic demotions upon reinstatement.

Officer and above:

If an individual leaves the clan for what ever reason, he/she are choosing to leave behind their responsibilities and gives other members the opportunity to advance to those positions. 

Warrant Officer 1 and below:

I feel like these ranks wouldn't matter much to reinstate them at their original rankings or at least demote them a single ranking.

------------------------------------

What I'm about to say, can be taking out of context and looked at as favoritism or someone who doesn't know the circumstances of a situation. Therefore, please don't upset. This is only my findings towards this specific subject.

Commander Badboi(OD) re-enabled Commander Aerineth(OD) for Aerineth is ready to return. Welcome back.   on Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 PM

Commander Terra(OD) disabled Commander Aerineth(OD) for Has gracefully resigned of his own accord to focus on the developments of his life.  on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:30 PM

In this example, we see a commander come back to the clan after having to focus on their own life developments. Many of us, OD members are always consistently working on our lives, yet we don't leave the brotherhood behind. 

I understand Aerineth(OD) has been around OverDosed and held the position of Commander for a long time. Yet, we're all held accountable for our actions.
I believe it's time for those in the position of power (Officers and above) to be rewarded towards their sacrifices they've endured for their time in Overdosed. 
Therefore, if you take away Automatic Demotion, you are not only hurting those that have put in the time to get to a position of responsibility, but would be unfair to everyone that has taken the automatic demotion over the past 17 years. 

IA Policy Changes - Proposed and led the motion to relax IA policies and allow members to make IA requests to take a break from the Clan and/or focus on real life for a while

You also have purposed this change. I would agree with you on this IA policies, but I've spotting high ranked members, playing games, chatting in discord, while being on IA. 

It's gotta be one way or another, You cannot be inactive with the clan, yet continue to play with the clan. This would rub off as, you don't want or have time to handle responsibilities, yet you have time to play game. 

I think IA should be strictly enforced, but loosely lengthy to allow members the ability to deal with any issue outside of Overdosed. 

I hope you enjoyed my opinion of this matter. Terra(OD), you've been with this clan for a very long time and have done great things. 
I give you my vote to remain as Commander, but I also give the other(s) generals my vote to advance to the position of Commander which would give members the opportunity to see if they could spread light within the clan. 

Thank you,
                   MikeU1(OD)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MikeU1(OD) said:

Commander Badboi(OD) re-enabled Commander Aerineth(OD) for Aerineth is ready to return. Welcome back.   on Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 PM

Commander Terra(OD) disabled Commander Aerineth(OD) for Has gracefully resigned of his own accord to focus on the developments of his life.  on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:30 PM

I think there is rule for General ranks if any general rank back with in 6 months they can hold their rank.

@Terra will give more explanation  on that rule

Edited by Hari(OD)

1 hour ago, Hari(OD) said:

I think there is rule for General ranks if any general rank back with in 6 months they can hold their rank.

@Terra will give more explanation  on that rule

believe hari is correct here

Right @DBZ(OD)?

Posted (edited)

Then, I believe that general rule should be amended.

To make it fair between all the ranks. But, then I don't know many generals who come and go, so.

Just my opinion, don't get mad!!

We do have many Diablo 2 generals, but not enough generals within our squadrons. 6/9 generals are affiliated with Diablo 2, yet I understand this clan has turned into an full blown Diablo clan. 

But... I will agree with you, it would be nice to of came back to the original ranking as before. 
Yet, again. It's does serve a purpose.

Edited by MikeU1(OD)

So, as far as questions go that is a pretty excellent one to ask. I say question as in singular but there are actually three different topics wrapped up in your post there which, while related to each other, each still have their own platform of discussion.

Forewarning, governing a Clan is complicated. If that wasn't obvious before then it will be after this. These are the three subjects I'll be going over.

1. What are the rules regarding re-enabling someone

2. Why was the automatic demotion upon reinstating someone removed

3. Why was Aerineth reinstated at Commander rank

Here we go.

What are the rules regarding re-enabling someone

The answer, actually, is not many. The General's Board has a guideline on what rank to typically reinstate someone at.

Enlisted -  Return at same rank

W.O. 1/2 - Return at  Sergeant Major

W.O. 3/4/5 - Return at W.O. 1

Officer / Sr. Officer - Return at W.O. 5

Former Generals who rejoin are typically given one demotion automatically upon rejoining plus an additional demotion for every 6 months they were gone. This is the guide that Hari was referring to. However these guidelines are not meant to be absolute, and in fact the written guide in the General's board specifically states that it is not a rule and is instead intended to be used as a reference for those who aren't certain what rank to reinstate someone at.

There is really only one rule practiced for reinstatement: If a member was dishonorably disabled for their actions, then they can't be re-enabled without the consent of the person who originally disabled them.

Outside of that, the Clan's official stance on reinstatement is that it is entirely at the discretion of the person who is re-enabling them. Although if the person being reinstated was a high profile individual that left on dramatic terms (i.e. Ray, AOL) then it is *expected* that you will consult with the other admins before re-enabling them even if you were the one who originally disabled them. That isn't an official rule but you'd piss off a lot of people if you didn't do it, so prudence demands it anyway.

Now I know what you are probably thinking; WHY is something like reinstatement so unregulated and left up to individual discretion? Seems like the kind of thing you would want rules for right? Well surprisingly you actually don't, and there are two reasons for that.

The first, and bigger reason, is because the circumstances in which people are disabled can be very very different. On the surface it doesn't appear to make sense that if two members were disabled at MWO5 rank that one should be let in at WO1 and the other gets to return at MWO5. Doesn't seem very fair. In reality though what isn't fair is treating all disablements like they are the same. An MWO5 who was disabled because they wanted to go join their friend's Clan and only came back a year later when they realized their friend was an idiot isn't the same as an MWO5 who was disabled because they were in a really bad place and they needed to fix some serious life problems, but are able to rejoin 6 months later once things are under control. Disablements aren't like demotions, which are universally handed out for something bad. Disablements can be good or bad, necessary or whimsical. One person could just be bored, while another is going to rehab. Another person could quit because they had a fight with a General, while another might leave because they have to go take care of their parents. The driving point is that the circumstances in which people are disabled are not the same, and therefore they can't be treated the same upon being reinstated. They have to be judged on a case-by-case basis. (Although those reinstating can still be held accountable for bad judgement or blatant favoritism)

The second reason isn't as much of an influence as the first, but it does have some influence. And that is the circumstances of the Clan at the time a person is reinstated. I'll be covering this in more detail when I explain Aerineth's reinstatement at Commander.

Why was the automatic demotion upon reinstating someone removed

There were actually two automatic demotions the website performed, and we removed them both. One was the automatic demotion for reaching max DSL and the other was the automatic demotion upon being reinstated. Both were basically removed because all they really did was create extra steps for the person reinstating someone.

We removed the automatic demotion for max DSL because we really don't punish people for their DSL anymore. I know things were different for many years, especially in the earlier years of OD, low DSL was an expectation and members who disregarded it were seen as being irresponsible or negligent. But that kind of expectation simply doesn't work in the modern days of gaming, nowadays the DSL system is only a means of tracking who is active and who isn't, that is the sole priority behind it. It's common knowledge that the DSL system serves as a bit of a turn-off for new recruits, and any member of OD who has been around a while can surely recall how many times people have proposed that we just get rid of it altogether. Unfortunately we can't get rid of it completely, but I've spent a number of my years in OD pushing for ways to make it as painless as possible for members, and removing the website's demotions for it happened to be in line with that goal.

The automatic demotion upon reinstatement was removed because it was legitimately pointless. The website automatically demoted every member who was reinstated down to Staff Sergeant, except for former Generals which it demoted down to MWO5. While demotions are still pretty commonplace alongside reinstatement, they aren't generally the 7 - 10 rank demotions that the website gleefully liked to give out. As rank upon reinstatement was at the discretion of the re-enabler anyway it just made more sense to leave it to them.

Why was Aerineth reinstated at Commander rank

Although reinstatement rank is technically at the discretion of the person reinstating, you would not be remiss to think it a bit unusual for a former Commander to be let back in right at Commander rank again. Although Aerineth's circumstances were among those "life difficulty" circumstances I described above, most people would consider it reasonable for him to have been reinstated at 4-star rank, including Aerineth himself actually. The reason he was not is because of that second reason I mentioned before, the circumstances of the Clan.

The first priority of any good admin is to always do what is best for the Clan as a whole. Giving people what they deserve, whether it be promotions or demotions, is well and good, and a solid policy for any admin to practice. But at the end of the day the community comes first, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. That was the deciding factor behind Aerineth's rank upon reinstatement. At the time, and as is largely still the case, the global situation with the pandemic has left both Badboi and R.agnarok severely tied up, the former because he works at a hospital and the latter because he helps companies develop their online business practices, and right now every company needs an online business practice.

This really left only me to serve as the single active Commander for all of OD, and needless to say it isn't ideal for the Clan to have only one active Commander available. It's a lot of work, not to mention none of us really want the entire Clan to fall under the supreme and uncontested rule of dark queen Terra, do we? So because of that situation, and the fact that Aerineth hadn't really been gone that long, we decided it was in the best interest of the Clan to reinstate him at Commander rank again so that there could be two accessible Commanders available to OD.

That said it came with the condition that he post an eval as well, so he'll have one here too. If you really don't think he should be a Commander again then feel free to vote his fat ass back down to 4-Star.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh and I almost forgot.

13 hours ago, MikeU1(OD) said:

It's gotta be one way or another, You cannot be inactive with the clan, yet continue to play with the clan. This would rub off as, you don't want or have time to handle responsibilities, yet you have time to play game. 

For normal circumstances I 100% agree, IA means IA. People who say they can't be around shouldn't be around, and typically this is the rule, and the rule is enforced. It has only been temporarily changed recently after some of our members were reported sick with COVID-19. We tried to be understanding and supportive of those who were sick in the hospital or in quarantine. It's hard to focus on admin responsibilities when enduring the kind of symptoms that covid presents, but at the same time being isolated or stuck in a hospital meant that OD was one of the only ways these people had to connect with others, so we created a special exception during the pandemic strictly for those who are sick. Of which the high-ranking member you are thinking of was among.

• Like 2

I see a strong, passionate and very intelligent person within your words. Very beautifully explained and I applaud you for your hard work and dedication you've put into this clan. 

I wish to continue to see Terra(OD) as one of our commanders.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aw now if this were a pub and you had bought me a drink words like that could have led to a delightful evening. Sadly in an eval you'll just have to make do with my thanks. So thank you for your support, MikeU1.

13 hours ago, Terra said:

So, as far as questions go that is a pretty excellent one to ask. I say question as in singular but there are actually three different topics wrapped up in your post there which, while related to each other, each still have their own platform of discussion.

Forewarning, governing a Clan is complicated. If that wasn't obvious before then it will be after this. These are the three subjects I'll be going over.

1. What are the rules regarding re-enabling someone

2. Why was the automatic demotion upon reinstating someone removed

3. Why was Aerineth reinstated at Commander rank

Here we go.

What are the rules regarding re-enabling someone

The answer, actually, is not many. The General's Board has a guideline on what rank to typically reinstate someone at.

Enlisted -  Return at same rank

W.O. 1/2 - Return at  Sergeant Major

W.O. 3/4/5 - Return at W.O. 1

Officer / Sr. Officer - Return at W.O. 5

Former Generals who rejoin are typically given one demotion automatically upon rejoining plus an additional demotion for every 6 months they were gone. This is the guide that Hari was referring to. However these guidelines are not meant to be absolute, and in fact the written guide in the General's board specifically states that it is not a rule and is instead intended to be used as a reference for those who aren't certain what rank to reinstate someone at.

There is really only one rule practiced for reinstatement: If a member was dishonorably disabled for their actions, then they can't be re-enabled without the consent of the person who originally disabled them.

Outside of that, the Clan's official stance on reinstatement is that it is entirely at the discretion of the person who is re-enabling them. Although if the person being reinstated was a high profile individual that left on dramatic terms (i.e. Ray, AOL) then it is *expected* that you will consult with the other admins before re-enabling them even if you were the one who originally disabled them. That isn't an official rule but you'd piss off a lot of people if you didn't do it, so prudence demands it anyway.

Now I know what you are probably thinking; WHY is something like reinstatement so unregulated and left up to individual discretion? Seems like the kind of thing you would want rules for right? Well surprisingly you actually don't, and there are two reasons for that.

The first, and bigger reason, is because the circumstances in which people are disabled can be very very different. On the surface it doesn't appear to make sense that if two members were disabled at MWO5 rank that one should be let in at WO1 and the other gets to return at MWO5. Doesn't seem very fair. In reality though what isn't fair is treating all disablements like they are the same. An MWO5 who was disabled because they wanted to go join their friend's Clan and only came back a year later when they realized their friend was an idiot isn't the same as an MWO5 who was disabled because they were in a really bad place and they needed to fix some serious life problems, but are able to rejoin 6 months later once things are under control. Disablements aren't like demotions, which are universally handed out for something bad. Disablements can be good or bad, necessary or whimsical. One person could just be bored, while another is going to rehab. Another person could quit because they had a fight with a General, while another might leave because they have to go take care of their parents. The driving point is that the circumstances in which people are disabled are not the same, and therefore they can't be treated the same upon being reinstated. They have to be judged on a case-by-case basis. (Although those reinstating can still be held accountable for bad judgement or blatant favoritism)

The second reason isn't as much of an influence as the first, but it does have some influence. And that is the circumstances of the Clan at the time a person is reinstated. I'll be covering this in more detail when I explain Aerineth's reinstatement at Commander.

Why was the automatic demotion upon reinstating someone removed

There were actually two automatic demotions the website performed, and we removed them both. One was the automatic demotion for reaching max DSL and the other was the automatic demotion upon being reinstated. Both were basically removed because all they really did was create extra steps for the person reinstating someone.

We removed the automatic demotion for max DSL because we really don't punish people for their DSL anymore. I know things were different for many years, especially in the earlier years of OD, low DSL was an expectation and members who disregarded it were seen as being irresponsible or negligent. But that kind of expectation simply doesn't work in the modern days of gaming, nowadays the DSL system is only a means of tracking who is active and who isn't, that is the sole priority behind it. It's common knowledge that the DSL system serves as a bit of a turn-off for new recruits, and any member of OD who has been around a while can surely recall how many times people have proposed that we just get rid of it altogether. Unfortunately we can't get rid of it completely, but I've spent a number of my years in OD pushing for ways to make it as painless as possible for members, and removing the website's demotions for it happened to be in line with that goal.

The automatic demotion upon reinstatement was removed because it was legitimately pointless. The website automatically demoted every member who was reinstated down to Staff Sergeant, except for former Generals which it demoted down to MWO5. While demotions are still pretty commonplace alongside reinstatement, they aren't generally the 7 - 10 rank demotions that the website gleefully liked to give out. As rank upon reinstatement was at the discretion of the re-enabler anyway it just made more sense to leave it to them.

I think you should copy and paste this part into the training academy and/or the Guide to everything.  Excellent description.  Thanks Terra.

Maybe, I try to keep the guide to everything stacked with info that is relevant to everyone, as obviously the scope of the guide can get pretty extensive pretty quickly, as I'm sure you've seen. Whether or not reinstatement policies should be included is kind of straddling the line, but then again the absence of information on it obviously led to some confusion here so at the very least I suppose I can include a link to something with the info I posted here.

On the other hand, if information becomes too easy to get then it'll rob me of my opportunity to show off my knowledge and explanation skills in future evals. But I suppose that is a sacrifice I must make for the good of the Clan!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Badboi:

What steps did you personally take when I announced my initial IA that led to my Disablement as a fellow Commander to ensure anything that I was initially responsible for.. was still taken care of?

Terra, 

With Aerineth's time gone and Badboi/R.ag indisposed as often as they have been with the Covid Pandemic. You've had to take on an enormous weight of responsibility for the community for the past several months. 

During this time I can't imagine how inundated you were with requests for help. I alone poked you several times a week at some points. 

You did your best as anyone could have expected and held the community together as any commander in your position should have. 

I will happily support your stay at commander and provide you my +1. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

What steps did you personally take when I announced my initial IA that led to my Disablement as a fellow Commander to ensure anything that I was initially responsible for.. was still taken care of?

Well the main thing was the management of donations. The moment you left I opened a conversation with Compfreak to ask him about taking over your responsibilities managing donations and to make sure he had everything he needed to do it effectively, which included corresponding with Rag to make sure he had access to the info he needed. It ended up being a pretty seamless transition, largely because Compfreak took the transition seriously and was more than willing to step up for it. Once the transition was worked out I posted a notification on the Commander's board to let my fellow Comms know that Compfreak would be taking over donations officially.

Aside from that you're already aware that you yourself passed control of the Discord server and OD's facebook page to me, and I picked up the slack for most of the daily Commander needs of the Clan in the absence of my peers, as JD has eloquently put in his post right after yours. Heck, the most difficult part was adjusting to Clan life without my favorite scapegoat around to blame things on. On that note, sure am glad you're back Aerineth!

3 hours ago, JD_FKA_Xayj(OD) said:

During this time I can't imagine how inundated you were with requests for help. I alone poked you several times a week at some points. 

You did your best as anyone could have expected and held the community together as any commander in your position should have.

Thanks. Although it wasn't like I was alone when it came to holding the community together, we have a pretty good roster of Generals these days.

• Upvote 1

Hey Terra

I think it is obvious to anybody that sees what you do that you deserve the rank, even after seeing you in action for only a short time. As a clan leader how do you typically determine how far to let a situation escalate under your subordinates before taking issues into your own hands to deescalate it? What preventative actions would you take for the future? These questions are entirely hypothetical and not aimed at any past event, but to just pick at your brain a bit. 

On a less serious note, you write a lot of essays when you post. Would there be any way to automate a TLDR section for all of your posts? 😄

Thanks for reading and you have my support already

"Situation" is a pretty broad term that can encompass a lot of scenarios, it's difficult to give a clear answer as to what point any given scenario has reached a level of escalation that I feel my intervention is necessary, it's something I weigh at the moment as a situation unfolds. If it is an immediate problem, such as a fight breaking out or people are spamming, then I'll deal with it if it occurs within my presence. If it has occurred elsewhere then I'll intervene if no other admin has taken charge yet. If someone has taken charge then I'll either observe how the situation unfolds or ask to be filled in by the admin after the situation has been dealt with. This is as much to keep myself up-to-date as it is to watch in case my intervention is necessary.

However based on the way you phrased the question my guess is you are asking less about immediate problems and more about the ones that build up over time, such as a division whose members are unhappy with the Clan or their division leaders, which *are* situations I have intervened in before.

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible. Let's divide up the stages of escalation using "drama levels".

--

Drama Level 1

This is a scenario where I've heard of a problem occurring within a division, but as of so far it hasn't affected anything beyond the division. It's still internal. If I have reason to believe the division leaders aren't aware of it then I'll notify the division leaders, but otherwise I don't get involved. I let divisions handle division matters.

I consider the situation escalated if it becomes public (appears on the forum or in a very visible aspect of the Clan where members outside of the Division have now noticed the problem) or if a member of the Clan specifically approaches me and asks me to look into the matter. On principle I never ignore a members request for help so at this point I have to become involved at least to some extent. So this elevates the problem to Drama Level 2.

--

Drama Level 2

The situation is now publicly apparent to the Clan as a whole and/or a member has specifically requested my intervention. If a problem has begun to involve people outside of its division then it is no longer considered a division problem but a clan problem. At this point I will get involved to a limited extent. I will contact the Division leaders, ask them about the problem, and make sure steps are established that will lead to a solution. I'll still leave the execution of those steps to the Division Leaders, but I will make sure to be involved in the planning process and stay apprised of how that plan unfolds so that I can feel confident that the problem has an effective resolution.

I consider the situation escalated if it becomes apparent that the Division Leaders are overwhelmed, burned out, inactive, unwilling to complete the steps we established were necessary for a solution, or if one or more of the Division Leaders becomes rebellious and fails to work as a team with myself or any other Division leaders. At this point the situation is elevated to Drama Level 3.

--

Drama Level 3

This is a scenario where, for any of the reasons listed above, it becomes apparent that the existing Division Leaders will not be able to resolve the situation. At this point my intervention becomes full, I take direct charge and responsibility of the situation. Exactly what I do at this point will vary, and depend largely on what the members are unhappy about and why the Division Leaders weren't able to resolve it.

--

Drama Level 1 happens pretty much on a bi-weekly basis. Drama level 2 can happen once or twice a year. And Drama Level 3 has only happened twice during my time in OD. I'm pleased to say that most problems are handled by Division Leaders quite effectively, leaving me to appear like I'm oblivious and indifferent to what goes on from the perspective of most members. Which is how I know things are going well! All this, of course, is just the most common example of problems. Obviously a lot of different situations can arise, including those that don't stem from divisions at all, but I think this more or less gives you the answer that you are looking for.

10 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

On a less serious note, you write a lot of essays when you post. Would there be any way to automate a TLDR section for all of your posts? 😄

R&D has been working on the development of that for decades. 😕

That said, if you ever come across an admin that gives simple answers to complicated Clan problems or policies, then you probably shouldn't trust that Admin to handle them.

• Like 1