Sign in to follow this  
Chanter(OD)

New member, I love to chant!

Hi everyone, I like to actually PLAY as a chanter, so it is exciting to find a bot free group to play with at last.  Looking forward to getting my guy up and running asap.

Thanks Mytho, both for the reply here and in ingame help last night and early this am.  I'm looking forward to playing with many new friends.  I probably should have put a bit more information in my initial post, so I'll go back and edit that in now.

Wow, the editing time here abouts is short!

Here is the rest of the content I meant to edit in above.

Lol, it looks like the ability to edit a post is time sensitive, and the OP option has expired on me.

I'm a US Army veteran, got out in the1990's, and discovered a game called Diablo while enjoying my new civilian life.  Later on, and new game called Diablo II came out, and I was hooked.  Been playing on and off again for years, since the initial release v 1.00.

Some time ago, I was one of the first people to actually make an Enchantress character on bnet, and had a great time trying to get folks to step out of town, allied with me, so I could demonstrate a nice little spell I discovered called Enchant.  I remember going into game after game after game, and no  one had a clue about this skill, or what it did, back in the day.

I recall one game in particular, where there were a number of other players in the rogue encampment, and none of them wanted to step out of town and let me cast my spell on them!  Even when in my party, they were still afraid I was up to something.  A feeling that was being reinforced by one of the other player, who happened to be play a sorceress of their own, telling everyone that I was a hacker or something, and that they knew there was no spell that would do what I was describing.

Finally, one brave soul decided to make a brand new character, party with me, and step outside of town and allow me to cast my spell on them!  I had the guy open up his character screen, and read off the damage his guy was currently doing.  I then cast my Enchant spell on him, and his response was priceless!  He was very happy, and more than willing to tell everyone just how much damage he was now able to do.  Others were still skeptical, including the other sorc, who then said that they thought that the other guy and I must be in cahoots, and up to no good, until the guy that had accepted my chant started going around and one shotting everything in sight.  😁  Still though, there was hesitation, until I set the other sorc straight.  I had them open up their skill tree, under the fire skills tab, in the right hand column, and tell me what the middle skill was called and did.  When they read off the information, they still were disbelieving, and scoffed at the tiny amount of damage a first level enchant spell would do, but then I asked them if they had ever, in their own play, built a sorceress that MAXed out Enchant, and both of it's synergies, and when they admitted that, well no, they had never put any points in enchant themselves...

It was like a dam burst open, and suddenly everyone wanted to see for themselves just what all the fuss was about, and everyone partied up and came out of town, got themselves chanted, and had a great time slaughtering the evils that roamed the land.  A great time was had by all, and the time of the Enchantresses had begun!

Later on, I was doing human Baal runs, back before there were any bots, and folks were amazed at the fun that could be had in a game where they would take my portal into the throne of destruction, and immediately get enchanted, and start whuppin up on Baal's minions.  In one particular game, the lag spikes were really bad, and during one particularly poorly timed one, all the other players in the game died to Lister.  Now back then, I didn't think to run two character, and just have the chanter go back to town and save us some experience points, so when that happened, I was right there and teleported into the pack, and started in with a wall of fire, some static fielding, and some glacial spikes, and suddenly Lister and his pack were all toast.  One of the guys asked me, "If you can do that, why are WE fighting the monsters?" and I just replied, "If I were to kill all these guys, where would the fun be in that", and that pretty well sums up my thinking about what I still consider the single best skill in the game, and how to use it.  Have the chantress cast the spell, and then head back to town, and let the enchanted folks teach the demons who rules Sanctuary!

Nowadays, I know enough, and have enough working computers left, to bring a chantress into the game as a buffer, and just play another character or two alongside the other players.  I recently built a Druid and a Barb, that are focused on maxing out other players life, and am going to be building new guys like them for use with the clan.

How many folks here have ever bought additional computers, and bought additional copies of D2/LOD to play on them?  I currently have 9 computers that are, or used to be, D2 capable, but currently two are down due to HDD failures, one to battery failure, and one I never bothered to install the game on, as 8 was enough.

Welcomeeeee to OD great post 🙂 hope you enjoy you’re time with us 

Some great bits of information for you chanter 🙂 

Edited by Sassy

I have already started to put a small dent in the first one, but oh my, is there a lot to that.  I was going to sleep last night after being introduced to a couple of clan OD members last night, but this I got rummaging around on the website and found the "Guide to Everything", and well, next thing I knew 8 hours had gone by...

The second one I suppose I can start taking a gander at.

Thank you Sassy!  London huh?  I never made it to England, closest I ever got was when my unit did an emergency deployment exercise, but that had us going into Scotland, so not really all that close.  I did, however, make the acquaintance of a pair of charming ladies over here on my side of the pond, and their reaction to our winter weather was a bit of an eye opening surprise for me.

1 minute ago, v3n0m(OD) said:

Welcome to OD!

Hey, thanks!  Do you play D2?  Or another game altogether?  

Myself, right now, I am just playing USEast, LOD Ladder, in softcore, because I really hate to lose my characters.

Hey folks, I seem to be having another moment here.  I noticed a part of the forum screen that says that my profile is 0% complete, but when I went in and filled out all the boxes I could, and then hit next, it just brought me back to the forum page??!??!??!

Am I doing something wrong, ie, putting things like "Not on 'such and such' of a game or platform" in the supplied response boxes?  Or can I not complete my profile until I make it all the way into the clan?

welcome to OD! do u play sc or hc?

I'm strictly a softcore kinda guy, as I hate having to bury my dead characters, lol.  How about yourself?

I just had a great (if clueless on my part) experience, and now I see what everyone else has been doing to level up and rush their characters.  Met some other clan members online, and now just have to kill things to get the XP needed to be able to start chanting folks.

4 hours ago, Chanter(OD) said:

Hey, thanks!  Do you play D2?  Or another game altogether?  

I do not play D2 any longer. I do play D3, Overwatch, Dota 2, Rocket League, CS:GO, Apex Legends.

Hi Chanter and welcome to the OD community!   I too love to host chant games as well as chant level.  I find it very relaxing.  Luckily once you get your chanter up and running, you can be added to the run bots and your chant games can be advertised in channel, they just don't count toward the run totals for fg prizes.    My chantress in scl gives about 5,000 damage and I love it.  You meet lots of nice people manually hosting chant games for the public as well as OD members.

And thank you for your military service!  Just give me a whisper on Purplez(OD) and if I am on line, I am always happy to help.

11 hours ago, Chanter(OD) said:

I'm strictly a softcore kinda guy, as I hate having to bury my dead characters, lol.  How about yourself?

I just had a great (if clueless on my part) experience, and now I see what everyone else has been doing to level up and rush their characters.  Met some other clan members online, and now just have to kill things to get the XP needed to be able to start chanting folks.

im normally SCL but mid to late season i switch to HCL 🙂

11 hours ago, v3n0m(OD) said:

I do not play D2 any longer. I do play D3, Overwatch, Dota 2, Rocket League, CS:GO, Apex Legends.

Sorry to hear that your D2 days are done, but on the other hand, it seems like you have your hands full with other games, all but D3 of which I have never heard of.  Here is wishing you good times in your gaming!🙂

11 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Hi Chanter and welcome to the OD community!   I too love to host chant games as well as chant level.  I find it very relaxing.  Luckily once you get your chanter up and running, you can be added to the run bots and your chant games can be advertised in channel, they just don't count toward the run totals for fg prizes.    My chantress in scl gives about 5,000 damage and I love it.  You meet lots of nice people manually hosting chant games for the public as well as OD members.

And thank you for your military service!  Just give me a whisper on Purplez(OD) and if I am on line, I am always happy to help.

Thanks!  Good to know I'm not going to be the only one playing as a chanter, which is going to be a big and MOST welcome change from pre clan days.  Back when I only had a single computer with D2 on it, I got a bit frustrated that most folks would be happy to play with me providing them with chants, but no one was willing to make a chanter of their own, so that I too could enjoy some "Enchanted Diablo 2" runs.  That all ended back when I first bought two extra computers and disks, and that had to be sometime back before 2003, so that now I just load my chanter up on one computer, and can play any other character(s) I want at the same time, and only have to switch over to the computer with my chanter on it to cast chant on newly joining players or those that are recently returned from the dead.

You mentioned something called "Run Bots", and I didn't know what those were, and had a panic attack, and then realized that the "Bots" you were talking about were the ones that post automated messages in the clan channel.  For me, the dang 'chant bots' have all but ruined the online gaming fun of D2 with a chantress of my own, and as I was a chanter before there were any bots, I have bad feelings towards/about those bots.  Now that I know what you were talking about, I'm glad and eagerly looking forward to play some more games, and getting my < 20th level gal up to speed, so I can start hosting my own chanted runs!

I have to admit that I have not really looked to much at what is available on the many forums here, as my experience is so far limited to the threads like this one.  In a few weeks, after I have a chance to make some new characters and some mules, I'm hoping to be able to get folks into some interesting and challenging specialized games, involving teamwork, storyline progression, and maybe, possibly, some nice prizes (all of this, is of course subject to clan approval), but my hopes are high that some weekly events might be possible.😎

I will most definitely be looking you up this week online.  Thanks for the reply, and yw.

1 hour ago, JR(OD) said:

im normally SCL but mid to late season i switch to HCL 🙂

Once the ladder in SC starts getting to easy?  I have played some HC, but strictly in single player, and losing my character permanently didn't sit well with me, so that was the extent of my brief and none to satisfactory experience with hard core.  To each there own.  Perhaps when the next reset comes around, we will for a time be able to adventure together!

• Like 1

Hey folks, my eyes are hurting, so I cannot read too much of the forums at the moment, but I was helping a couple clan members mule items and the last one never came back.  I have screen shots of the items, and the times between the players last drop, and when I threw in the towel.

As this is my 2nd day in the clan, I respectfully request a link to the part of the forum where I can post that I did indeed pickup the two uniques left on the ground in town by the stash.  Also, are there some standing guidelines on what to do when assisting in a muling?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing back from the member that left their items on the ground, due, I suspect, to getting a Realm Down temp restriction.

Just a suggestion to help with the look of the forum and possibly help your eyes.  At the bottom of the forum, there is a "theme" option where you can change the look.  Try a few of those to see which works best for you.

When muling, I always make note of which account I am doing it for and try to be in Act 1 so that you can see what is going on.  If they don't come back, I send them a private message on the forum or the website.  You can also tag the member on Discord and the forum by putting a @ in front of their account name.

Hope these suggestions help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Just a suggestion to help with the look of the forum and possibly help your eyes.  At the bottom of the forum, there is a "theme" option where you can change the look.  Try a few of those to see which works best for you.

When muling, I always make note of which account I am doing it for and try to be in Act 1 so that you can see what is going on.  If they don't come back, I send them a private message on the forum or the website.  You can also tag the member on Discord and the forum by putting a @ in front of their account name.

Hope these suggestions help.

Thanks Purplez!  My problems with my eyes are that I cannot read really tiny test, but I got the problem solved by adjusting the size on my end, so all is now good.

I contacted the person on discord, and I think that they are not concerned with getting their items back.  I don't know this for sure, as I felt that uninstalling discord entirely from my machine was a step I needed to take, and before I got a definitive answer to that question.

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to installing software, and usually, ig there is a way I can mess it up, then that is what is going to happen, and today is a good example of that.

I got discord DL'ed and installed, registered, and pasted the clan's URL into the app, and got a nice chance to chant with several members of the clan this morning, and basically had an interesting time of it, and had started to learn some simple things and basics.  I then proceeded to click around and check things out a bit.  I remembered how to change my settings to "Push to talk" from the video instructions, and did that.  I then, not really knowing what I was doing, clicked on one of the other 'voice channels', Frog Pond I think it was, but there didn't seem to be anyone there, so I went an (at least I thought I had) exited Discord by clicking on the 'x' in the upper right corner.

After a nap, and several hours of unintentionally lurking in the Frog Pond, I got online and started to play my clan character.  After a brien bit of play, I was surprised to hear someone talking to me.  Earlier in the day, before I went and changed my settings to "Push to talk", I was just able to speak and be heard.  So, when someone was asking me questions, I couldn't respond, and killed rodent guy, picked up my book of skill, and alt-tabbed out of the game, to go back into discord (which I had incorrectly assumed was off this whole time), and change my setting back to be able to just talk, rather than having to press a button to be able to be heard.

After several minutes of mounting frustrations, I learned that something was not right, and I tried repeatedly to get the changed settings to make it possible for me to be heard, but alas, to no avail.  Finally, i tried to just close discord, and was shocked to see the the lower left space on my taskbar was empty.

I don't know what caused this, but the start icon was not there!  So not only could I not just go into the start menu to manually shut discord down at this point, I also couldn't restart my computer, and all the while, I could hear the other poor fellow trying to talk me through the process and troubleshoot how to get my voice settings fixed.  I did learn how to logout of discord as a result of this mess, lol, but I don't want to have to annoy folks like that again because of my lack of knowledge in using an app I really don't know how to use, much less troubleshoot, and while annoying someone else at the same time.😕

I'm still willing to reinstall discord at a later date (Maybe even tomorrow), but for now I think I'll just rely on the chanel, and these forums for my communication needs.  I'll probably go into some google searches sometime after midnight, and begin learning how to troubleshoot and use discord properly, but before it gets reinstalled, I'll make sure that I know a few things down pat, like:

1)  What happens when I click the 'X' in the upper right corner...

2)  How to actually shut discord down entirely...

3)  How to avoid leaving myself in a voice channel at all...

Anyway, so far I am liking the exciting prospect of being part of something bigger than just myself, while being able to help folks within the game!

Thanks to Purplez, I am once again up and running on Discord.  It was amazingly easy once I reinstalled, and now I know how to actually turn it off when not needed.  Everybody really helped me out with all sorts of badass equipment, much of which I cannot yet wear, but OMG, this was awesome!  I'll really be able to help folks out now with all this great gear.  Shamefully, I cannot say thanks to everyone, as I didn't keep track or all the folks that came in and helped me out, but to each and all I would like to say, a great big THANK YOU!!!

• Like 1

It was definitely a group effort … @ScudBarb(OD) @zbtarget @Rich(OD)    It's always fun to meet and help new members.

• Like 1

Is it ok to make threads other than in the Introduction forum while still a trial member?

I am starting to think about what I would like to do within the clan, and one of the things would involve something like the image shows.  I'm wanting some feedback and ideas on if this is allowed, encouraged, forbidden or what have you.  If it is ok, then I'm thinking that this might be something to rip into this week, so I can have some items ready for either giving away, or lending out within events?

Would an item like below be interesting with a personalization quest from Anya, done for a character named

{Clan-OverDosed} or something like that?

Please let me know...

Screenshot094.jpg

Welcome to OD, GL & HF! 🙂

Welcome to OD Chanter!!  See you around!! I mainly play hcl so if you need any help let me know 🙂