Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
snicker66(OD)

Can I get everyone's opinion - Discord setup

Recommended Posts

In Team-speak we used Black bars to separate clan divisions and chat channels, 

Example:

 

image.png.14808fa8f7cef46b54885696c1eb372b.png

 

 

Within Discord my questions are the following,

 

Should we keep the current setup? Or could it be improved upon?

 

image.png.6c3e36259ce7e74e527f7472b3eeb27f.png

 

 

 

Should we remove the Blank spacer channels?

 

Example:

image.png.b1a5d4570efc5434eaf28c00ecf675a5.png

 

perhaps just this?

image.png

 

Does anyone else have some input on the subject, anyone wanta say "Snickers your crazy it looks fine"

 

**note**

This is not a effort of slander or banter to @Xayj(OD) I value his time and effort he and others are putting into making discord great again

 

I just saw the new channels tonight and asked "could we improve this?". " Could we convoy the information in a more streamline way?"

 

Thank you in advance for your input.

@Officers @Warrant Officers @Senior Officers @Generals 1* - 3* @General @Commanders

Edited by snicker66(OD)
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... less than 24 hours with the bars implemented before we have a suggestion to improve on it... hahahaha 

 

All seriousness, I was actually thinking about it myself today... I think we should limit the bars to signify the "end" of a division's channels only (half as many bar-separators, still distinction between divisions), for example: 

 

1807194158_discordsuggestion.thumb.JPG.cb1f0879e81d7d9a373813b545d798fd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Wow... less than 24 hours with the bars implemented before we have a suggestion to improve on it... hahahaha 

 

All seriousness, I was actually thinking about it myself today... I think we should limit the bars to signify the "end" of a division's channels only (half as many bar-separators, still distinction between divisions), for example: 

 

1807194158_discordsuggestion.thumb.JPG.cb1f0879e81d7d9a373813b545d798fd.JPG

 I like the bars at the top denoting the community name, but was not sure about their purpose if divisions have all of the hyphens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. This was implemented by Terra to make it look as much like our teamspeak as possible. 
 

I’m of the opinion that not only does it make the server look clunky. But because of how the server roles work. It gives us twice as much work because of how roles are inherited from categories. 
 

 

I personally agree with you’re suggestion and have already discussed it to be brought up after @Terra made the changes to the channel structure yesterday @snicker66(OD). If we use the channel that was created with the dashes as the parent. This would help make handing down permissions in Divisions easier.

 

The ideal scenario for this would be that each division has 3 categories and channels under them. The header which is their name and that contains all their gaming channels. Then their office category. Then their VIP category. 
 

 

Edited by Xayj(OD)
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, how does it create twice as much work? You don't need to assign permissions to the lines.

Whether we want to remove some of the lines or not makes no difference to me. The only thing that matters to me is that the channels remain organized and the Divisions and Squads have what they need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@snicker66(OD) I’m still trying work the damn thing out on phone lines or no lines I’ve not clue sorry lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

In Team-speak we used Black bars to separate clan divisions and chat channels, 

Example:

 

image.png.14808fa8f7cef46b54885696c1eb372b.png

 

 

Within Discord my questions are the following,

 

Should we keep the current setup? Or could it be improved upon?

 

image.png.6c3e36259ce7e74e527f7472b3eeb27f.png

 

 

 

Should we remove the Blank spacer channels?

 

Example:

image.png.b1a5d4570efc5434eaf28c00ecf675a5.png

 

perhaps just this?

image.png

 

Does anyone else have some input on the subject, anyone wanta say "Snickers your crazy it looks fine"

 

**note**

This is not a effort of slander or banter to @Xayj(OD) I value his time and effort he and others are putting into making discord great again

 

I just saw the new channels tonight and asked "could we improve this?". " Could we convoy the information in a more streamline way?"

 

Thank you in advance for your input.

@Officers @Warrant Officers @Senior Officers @Generals 1* - 3* @General @Commanders

I like the bottom one Snickers. Discord is not Teamspeak. Because of Teamspeak’s look, we had to implement the bars. It is not necessary for Discord. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote for whatever is the easiest to maintain and applaud you @Xayj(OD) for all your efforts!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I vote for whatever is the easiest to maintain and applaud you @Xayj(OD) for all your efforts!

 

2 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

I like the bottom one Snickers. Discord is not Teamspeak. Because of Teamspeak’s look, we had to implement the bars. It is not necessary for Discord. 


As I’ve already said. This suggestion of using just this title bar with the dashes as the main category with the main channels would be the best. 
 

This would be the easiest way for us to manage any roles the division need to address for the channels underneath it. 
 

While the only other categories that need to be handled are a division office section which may change on the fly and VIP.  The access for that category will change depending on the need of the division at the time. 
 

Finally the 3rd being the VIP sections which are all already configured. 
 

I can get to work to make sure these channels are set up this week. If this is how we want it. 

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It being easier to manage permissions, perhaps we should go the route of only having separators for the different sections instead of each division? ...Meaning to have bars only around the "Welcome to OD", "Divisions", and "Squads". Would that help with managing permissions @Xayj(OD)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

It being easier to manage permissions, perhaps we should go the route of only having separators for the different sections instead of each division? ...Meaning to have bars only around the "Welcome to OD", "Divisions", and "Squads". Would that help with managing permissions @Xayj(OD)?

 

Having the bumper at the bottom of a divisions section to “divide” them would be perfectly fine. Them being under the VIP section wouldn’t affect the permissions of any of the above or below categories for any other divisions they border. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

 

Having the bumper at the bottom of a divisions section to “divide” them would be perfectly fine. Them being under the VIP section wouldn’t affect the permissions of any of the above or below categories for any other divisions they border. 

What ever is easiest for you to configure and easiest for end-users to utilize the program.

 

Side note:

Could I request documentation\hot-to-document of permissions for administrative staff if we wanted to delicate things in future? (like a month or two from now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, snicker66(OD) said:

What ever is easiest for you to configure and easiest for end-users to utilize the program.

 

Side note:

Could I request documentation\hot-to-document of permissions for administrative staff if we wanted to delicate things in future? (like a month or two from now)

 

RE: The side note. 

 

This is absolutely something that as the server is being modified I will be diligently recording and making how to guides just as I’ve done so with our VIP guide thus far. 

 

I want to make sure our administration team is set up for success. As well as having the tools to tackle any task at hand when needing to create/modify/moderate a portion of our discord. 

 

If it all possible at least 😉 I can’t foresee all needs. But I will try. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks great already, but if you go forward with your suggestion it will look more tight and organized, which is two thumbs up in my book. Great job and thank you for hard work @snicker66(OD)and @Xayj(OD)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of discord setup, I would like to mention that I discovered an odd feature (bug?)... If you use the tts (text to speech - /tts Hi there) command in a chat channel, it seems to speak across all channels and not just the voice channel that you are currently in. Any way to restrict that to the current voice channel @Xayj(OD) ?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

Speaking of discord setup, I would like to mention that I discovered an odd feature (bug?)... If you use the tts (text to speech - /tts Hi there) command in a chat channel, it seems to speak across all channels and not just the voice channel that you are currently in. Any way to restrict that to the current voice channel @Xayj(OD) ?

 

Thanks!

 

Thank you for pointing this out MooMoo. The TTS Feature actually was not supposed to be turned on for the server. This is due to several reasons. The glaring one being that if users want to opt out of these notifications by TTS they have to do so manually via their own user settings one by one. It's not something I can simply toggle in the server. Thus it's something I chose to disallow for all but our commanders if they decide to use it for server announcements. 

 

Article for reference RE: TTS User settings. https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/212517297-Text-to-Speech-101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

keep it the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

Speaking of discord setup, I would like to mention that I discovered an odd feature (bug?)... If you use the tts (text to speech - /tts Hi there) command in a chat channel, it seems to speak across all channels and not just the voice channel that you are currently in. Any way to restrict that to the current voice channel @Xayj(OD) ?

 

Thanks!

Leave it to that stubborn MooMoo that he found a way around ever having to talk LMAO!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

Speaking of discord setup, I would like to mention that I discovered an odd feature (bug?)... If you use the tts (text to speech - /tts Hi there) command in a chat channel, it seems to speak across all channels and not just the voice channel that you are currently in. Any way to restrict that to the current voice channel @Xayj(OD) ?

 

Thanks!

Have ya tried using your mic? That might work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bottom, I like the bottom one.

 

Less is more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lines have been removed. Sections are denoted by the dashed names only now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...