Sign in to follow this  
Terra

-- The Modernization of OD --

So, a lot of you have probably heard by now that we are looking to make some big changes in OD. We outlined it for our Admins in the January 5th meeting but this is a clan-wide project that everyone is going to have the opportunity to be a part of. So let me go over in detail what this is all about.

This is our ultimate long-term goal:

The Modernization of OD

five-stars.png

Back in October both Teamspeak and our cpanel providers changed the plans they offered in a way that simultaneously complicated our Clan's situation and increased our yearly expenses. These changes forced us to re-evaluate our dependency on Teamspeak and take a transition to Discord more seriously. But rather than take this as a dreaded and forceful change from our comfort zone I decided to take it as an opportunity to try and push OD to greater heights, to reach for a grand goal of completely modernizing OD, in which the transition to Discord would be just one part of a greater undertaking. It is my hope and my vision to bring this Clan up to a whole new level, as a gaming community that can capture the awe and interests of the modern gamers of today.

But it's also more than just a goal to make OD better, it's also a challenge we can all face together. It is a chance to become a part of something bigger than the day-to-day routines of each Division, it is a greater objective we can achieve not as separate individual groups of gamers, but as a single united community. Something that hasn't happened in OD for a long time.

That is the greater goal, to modernize OD and make it a Clan perfectly adapted for today's gamers.

In discussion with the other Commanders, we have broken down this grand objective into five steps that we feel are essential towards achieving that modernization, and while we have discussed some of the details on how to start with the Generals already throughout November and December, we will also be depending a great deal on the help and ideas offered by members of all ranks in the months to come. First, however, let me go over each of those steps.

These are the steps we will be working on, (not necessarily in order) and a little about what each will involve:

Transition from Teamspeak to Discord Chibi-Sylvanus.png

This step includes the transition to Discord and its adaptation to support our Clan needs. Our Teamspeak itself will still remain online for the foreseeable future with its current existing channels, however as of this announcement new Squad and Division channels will only be made on Discord, and all type of Clan meetings will be held on Discord instead of Teamspeak. It will take a bit of adjustment, but OD has changed voice chats before and I've no reason to believe we won't be highly successful with this one as well.

Modernize the Website Chibi-Invoker.png

This will include both visual improvements to the website so it doesn't look as old, and any needed back-end changes to our coding in order to accommodate the needs of our goal. It will involve creating better visibility for our social media and donations, and any additional changes we might want and can fit into it with the budget we have available.

Publicize Donations Chibi-Katarina.png

Dropping our dependency on Teamspeak allows us to publicize the benefits of our donations more, something we might need to rely on with our increased yearly expenses. This step will involve ways to better ensure members are aware that they can donate to the Clan and the benefits for doing so, and will also include publicizing the expenses of our Clan so that members are aware of what is involved in maintaining OD. Something we talked about before.

Increase the Visibility of our Social Media Chibi-Reaper.png

A lot of this will be based on the changes we make to the website, but this will also involve looking for ways to improve involvement in our Social Media overall. Up to this point we have greatly undervalued the benefits that Social Media can have towards creating community culture and expanding awareness of OD, and we can definitely capitalize on this more.

Improved User-friendly Infrastructure chibi-velvet.png

This part involves making it easier for members to learn about their Clan and Console powers, and how to use them. It will include the creation of the Officer's Academy, methods for helping members understand how to vote and recruit, and may or may not involve a few changes to the rules and roles of some ranks.

There you have it. Five great steps towards one great goal. I'll be posting in this topic at regular intervals to keep everyone informed on how things are progressing and provide ways in which people can contribute if they wish to help out.

Change is always daunting, we prefer to stick to what feels familiar and comfortable, and the idea that things may not remain the way we like them can be an unnerving one. But the world changes whether we want it to or not, and while we can try to hold onto the way we like things for as long as we can get them to work, sooner or later we must learn to change with the world around us. Our world has changed, the methods we have been using are no longer as effective as they once were, and we've used them for as long as we can now. It is time for us to change in turn.

But this is not the first time OD has had to change. The leaders of our past have had to make difficult decisions for OD as well, the members of their time have had to let go of their familiar ways to boldly grab onto the new methods that have become so familiar to us now. Many of those changes were probably intimidating too, but it is during those very times that our own greatness can truly stand out.

The true potential that each of us might have isn't going to appear doing the same things day after day, week after week, maintaining the same old antiquated systems. It is going to appear now. It is now that our greatest strengths will become apparent, during this time of change, development, and the push for a greater future. Starting today you will create your true legacy.

banner10b.png

• Upvote 2

January

(In Progress)

The goals for January will be to focus on making a smooth transition to Discord, and to finalize the outline of changes for the website redesign so that reconstruction of the website can start.

While the website redesign outline will be handled at the General level, the Discord transition will require the help and support of all members.

How people can help

- Begin using our Discord server and encourage others to use it as well. (discord.overdosed.net)

- Restore any ranks or positions members may be lacking on Discord that they should have, or had on Teamspeak (Or ask someone with appropriate rank to restore it)

- Help us map any missing powers or abilities that certain ranks or positions (like Division Leader) should have. You can report any ability discrepancies to this topic, to any General, or to Xayj

- Provide any ideas or suggestions on ways the Clan could best utilize some of the features of Discord that may be useful. You can post them in this topic.

February

(Upcoming, may be subject to change)

If January's goals are met without issue then February will be focused on putting together methods for maximizing social media in the Clan, and developing the Officer's Academy and other Clan infrastructures

• Like 1

Thanks Terra, I’m definitely stoked, and excited for these changes. Looking forward to our updates! 🙂

As always super informative post. I will begin rolling out the discord integrations from the tests servers for the social media integrations. 

I'll also continue my audit of the VIP channel permissions to reflect what is needed regarding move permissions.

I look forward to all of the change and what good it brings for the community. It should be an amazing year for OD.

I’m really looking  forward to the changes it’s like a new start for me coming back at the right time when all changes kick in , excellent post @Terra well done 

Thanks Terra!, HMU if you need any assistance

Great~! So far the transition to Discord is going well i think :D

Here's some music to help make it all dramatic.

3 minutes ago, Terra said:

Here's some music to help make it all dramatic.

sounds very motivational 🙂 LETS GET IT!

The year 2020 is looking to be very exciting for the Clan.  I'm ready and willing to help wherever I can!  

2020.jpg.d3aa1cbe010047cbf0d67e79ad6e0699.jpg

Can you guys add a discord invite link?

2 hours ago, ScudBarb(OD) said:

Can you guys add a discord invite link?

Hiyas Gus!  There's a whole subforum on Discord with guides here:  https://forum.overdosed.net/forum/388-discord/

And an invite here:  https://discord.gg/hDRP5xT   (unexpiring link)

On 1/11/2020 at 11:15 AM, Purplez(OD) said:

And an invite here:  https://discord.gg/hDRP5xT   (unexpiring link)

That specific link will direct new members to the D2 voice channel ONLY, which shouldn't be used for non-D2 members!

If you are inviting a new member, please have them go to " discord.overdosed.net " with their browser, log into discord via the browser app, and it will add the OD server to their discord account so they can access our server via the desktop application.

Otherwise, please use this permanent link to direct them to our Rules page when they connect: https://discord.gg/QP57wVh

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Upvote 1

January

(Completed)

The goals for January will be to focus on making a smooth transition to Discord, and to finalize the outline of changes for the website redesign so that reconstruction of the website can start.

While the website redesign outline will be handled at the General level, the Discord transition will require the help and support of all members.

February

(In Progress)

January's goals are completed and were very successful. That puts us off to a good start. Our focus for February is going to be on maximizing the visibility of social media and creating a more user-friendly clan infrastructure. Which means making it easier for members to learn about and become aware of their powers as they rise up in ranks. The aim for Social Media is to build ourselves a community culture and show off what it means to be a part of OD! For the infrastructure we want to make it easier for members to find out what they can do at their new ranks, and understand how to use those skills. (From simple voting to necessary banning)

How people can help

Improving Social Media visibility

- Provide ideas on where we can start adding social media in the Clan (Discord, Forum, news posts) a topic specifically for this will become available for the public

- Ask MelodicRose on how you can help or what you need to do to get your streams, blogs, posts, and other content you want to share out into the public eye!

- Encourage people to use our social media more, either by streaming their games or reading our facebook

Improving user-friendly infrastructure

- Provide ideas on how we can better help members learn about their ranks and powers. A topic specifically for this will become available for the public

- Try different ways to teach people how to vote or use their console powers and see what they like, or what seems to work best

- Write guides or tutorials that members can reference (imagery is recommended, videos are brilliant)

March

(Upcoming, may be subject to change)

Based on the scope of February's steps I'm going to assign both February and March towards improving social media and infrastructure, as I think it likely that we may need two months for this part of the project.

In accordance with this months goals an Overdosed Academy section has been created for the purpose of writing easy-reference guides on the powers of different ranks. The hope is that the creation of these Guides will be a community-wide project, and this will be one of the main ways members can contribute towards the Modernization of OD steps for February and March!

For a more detailed explanation please refer to my topic here.