Sign in to follow this  
Purplez(OD)

Purplez's adventures in FFXIV

Today was a day for firsts!  I streamed for the first time ever and I created a character in FFXIV.  I can't say I really I played but I had fun.  It's all a learning curve.

Here's a little excerpt of my experiences ... if you can't laugh at yourself then you ain't having fun.

Using a keyboard to move around instead of a mouse creates havoc.  I kept running into walls, getting locked behind fences, and actually fell into a fountain, and yes it actually makes splashing sounds LOL  I was continually lost even with the help of the maps and mini maps.  I didn't learn until later that you use the space bar to jump.  Oh boy that made a difference.

On my first quest, the NPC asks me if I have the strength to accept the sword.  Of course, me being me, I said no lol and it kicked me out of the warrior palace.  So back into the void I went, having to use the keyboard to walk, stumble and fall up the stairs, find that same NPC and agree that I had the strength to use that sword.  

At one point, this bird tried to get really familiar with me as I was locked behind this fence.  It even laid it's head on my head, like it wanted me to pet it.  It was strange to say the least.

1073348674_ffivchocobo.jpg.4854e56f24606f055802d3d41f3cfc46.jpg

It was really neat to be able to make your own character, but damn there's alot of choices.  You could spend hours there so I just kept clicking and clicking until I got a character with purple hair and purple eyes.  The rest is blah, but I had to keep moving.  I'd post a picture of the character but I forgot to save one when I was playing so just use your imagination.

I went on to kill hornets, snakes, and God knows what else until this GIGANTIC turtle started chasing me hell bent on my death.  I ran, stumbled, jumped until I left him in my dust.

I was sweating by the time I hit escape so intense was my concentration.  My stomach hurt from laughing.  Next time I'm picking one of the little people characters.  They are way cuter and seem to run faster which is a plus when running from gigantic turtles!  Where was @Froggie420(OD) with his gun to save the day lmao

Special thanks to my tutor and mentor @Zachery(OD).  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Deranged(OD) said:

Haven't played FF14 in a long time

Saaaame...

• Like 1

come and play

10 hours ago, Dave(OD) said:

come and play

I'm going to play a little here and there.  Just been really busy with real life and the D2 reset right now.

I ended up playing this a bit myself (thanks to the "free-up to lvl 35* promo)... I created a cat-person toon (white mage healer), and got it up to level 14 so far, on the "Faerie" NA server. Which server are you on @Purplez(OD)? - Maybe we can have some laughs together!

As for the game itself, the devs are very responsive in fixing glitches / problems, the game has no pay-to-win functions that are consistent in games like BDO, the UI is highly customizable without having to install add-ons, etc..

I do have two criticisms:

1.  For the full version of the game, you have to buy it for about $60 (includes expansions), and if you want to continue playing longer than 1 month, you have to pay about $15 / mo. - a premium pricing plan for an MMO.

2. I'm pretty sure that this is a result of when the game initially released, but the graphics of this game are roughly comparable to a little better than PS2 graphics (In the starting areas at least).

Now, there is something to be said about both criticisms, so before people label me as a hater, let me expand a bit...

1. There are many other MMO's out there, some with subscription-only (like Swtor for example - free to play story or level capped, but must be subscriber to play end-game content), and some are up-front cost only (Like Guild Wars 2 for example - pay $60 initially and play as long as you like, no features locked), and some that are completely free to play, but are Pay-to-win like BDO. There are only two that come to mind where you must pay to play (up-front cost), and additionally pay a subscription fee... WoW and FFXIV. 

2. The game is by no means "new" and with that, it is somewhat expected that the graphics and physics would be on par with it's release date... That said, I'm told (by others that have the subscription and max-level toons) that the expansion areas have much better graphics than the starting areas, so at least there's that. Ideally though, If a new potential subscriber is playing this "trial" of the game, wouldn't you (as the developer) want to showcase the newer graphics details and physics of the newer engines to "draw in" new gamers? Square-enix falls a bit short here. It shows that they are concentrating on fixing the newer stuff, and letting the original content stay as-is ("if it ain't broke, don't fix"). Most Dev teams are giving priority to new content working correctly rather than updated graphics for the original "low-level" stuff, so not really a surprise here, but something that would've been nice to see some effort in on their part, considering the "Premium" pricing...

Overall, the Final Fantasy storylines are always captivating (although some voice acting would go a long way here), and the game is not that bad at all for an MMO... and I've played through a quite a few MMO's. Will I make the commitment and buy the game + subscribe every month? I haven't made up my mind on that yet, but for now, I'll keep playing the "free" trial in my spare time, and we'll see if I get "sucked in" to the game 😉.

It was a fun adventure that's for sure.

• Like 1

i miss my ff14 days..... miss my old guildmates and toons T___T its too much time to commit to these days. having a hard time even managing d2 with kids haha

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, JR(OD) said:

i miss my ff14 days..... miss my old guildmates and toons T___T its too much time to commit to these days. having a hard time even managing d2 with kids haha

Yeah it definitely does take time for sure! But there is SOIOOO much you can choose to put that time in ont he game 🙂

Played again last night for a while.  I'm slowly learning, but it's hard not to keep stopping and just looking at the amazing scenery, the purple flowers for instance.  I even found joy walking through the streams and watching the water splash.  What I didn't like was jumping off the cliffs.  I'm afraid of heights, made my stomach drop OMFG lol  So if you play with me, be prepared for frequent stops, me running into rocks, screaming when I fall off something really high.

• Laugh 2

sooooo much stuff to do in the game... hahahawill keep u busy for a longgg time

Boo Yah!  Here's a picture of my character with purple hair ofc  lol

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.dbe2d66579f5076aedb6947cafebe950.png

• Like 2