Discord Suggestions/Recommendations/Concerns

I will respond to this tomorrow and update the post, was called in for emergency backup shifts for winter weather.. Havent slept in a bit.. So will update once i have 😄

On 12/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, CompFreak(OD) said:

Just in case others in the community may be thinking along similar lines, this has actually been a topic of ongoing discussion among Generals and Commanders recently, and I've been granted permission to share some issues that have been brought up and addressed already:

1.  Ability to have passworded channels for meetings / interviews / etc.

2.  The ability to record our meetings.

3.  The fact that discord displays who is online and what game they are currently playing.

Fortunately, Solutions to address some of the above issues have already been thought of :

1. Discord currently does not have the ability to set passwords on channels, however it does have the ability to restrict access to specific channels based on roles. In other words,  we have the ability to manually set a specific 'role' for all Officers+ and Division Leaders (for admin meetings), and another separate role for Generals & commanders (for Generals-only meetings). While it can be cumbersome to initially set each members' role, it would provide the necessary restricted access to those meeting channels. We are also currently looking into scripting our own bot to assign these roles.
  2. While there are a some voice recorder bots available for 'free' use in discord, nothing in today's world is completely 'free'. Use of these 'free' public bots requires access to all connected IP addresses (among other sensitive data), which we do not wish to needlessly subject our members to. After looking into the possibility of creating a bot that only our own OD servers would have access to (with the help of @matchew(OD)), It would require many hours of coding to create our own "recorder bot", that would not be feasible to invest in creating at this time. Fortunately, I have recently devised a way to record our meetings manually (without using any bots), with the implementation of a secondary discord account & virtual audio device to record from. I have also offered to assist others in setting it up, so that we have redundant recorders, in the event I can't be at every meeting or if I get disconnected.
  3. There are specific options within the settings menu of discord, where you can disable the option of displaying what game you're playing. However, there is currently no option to set yourself as "away", "busy", or "appear as offline", like many other platforms do (i.e. steam, blizzard.net, etc.). This could be a pro or a con, depending how you look at it, but is a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things, and until the discord developers decide to incorporate that feature, we are at their mercy as far as that goes.

One topic of concern I have, is that while there may be dozens of members 'connected' to our discord server, very few members actually utilize the voice channels and actually talk to each other at a given time.  This drastically reduces the opportunities our members have, of meeting new people and forming the bonds of friendship that OD thrives on. The OD community has lasted many years, throughout many different games and divisions. We are able to span these gaps of games / divisions coming and going, because of the bonds of friendship that we form with each other. 

I for one, feel that we cannot afford to lose sight of this aspect in our community, however this is something that cannot be remedied by administration alone. We "can only lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink" so to speak, so we must, at the very least, "lead them to the water" by working together in showing much activity in the voice channels of discord, actively promoting members to interact with each other, and not just with a random message in the text channels here and there.

As I was reading, the only comment that I feel wasn't fully answered was yours, Comp.. so I will try.

1. As was already mentioned by yourself, the role restricted channels would work really well for this. We just need to be on top of updating roles - much like we need to do already on ts3, but on a new platform. Initially it could be annoying setting up every person in the clan if we were to make such a switch, but once set up only minor tweaks would need to be made when the #rank-request channel is put to good use.

2. This is the only thing thus far that I am struggling to find answers for. I know that the voice recording within ts3 is very convenient, but there are things like OBS/Streamlabs/etc that can record as well and save as videos - but it's a separate program and that may turn people away from it. I will look into it more.

3. This was already answered - but you can set yourself to these options, you can even set a "status" now to tell people how long you'll be away or something.. There are also options within settings that allow you to hide the game you're playing if you want to still be shown as online. 

Regarding the concern for people not using voice - people follow when they see people online. I've noticed that once one person pops into voice, people follow suite. It's much the same on ts3 sometimes too, and I can relate to that. I feel that the separation of the platforms we use is problematic, with a large chunk of the community still using ts3. People will follow where the active chatters go, and that still remains on ts3 (except when Purplez comes on Discord and everyone follows her and that was so beautiful T_T).

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

2. This is the only thing thus far that I am struggling to find answers for. I know that the voice recording within ts3 is very convenient, but there are things like OBS/Streamlabs/etc that can record as well and save as videos - but it's a separate program and that may turn people away from it. I will look into it more.

Already addressed this in my post:

On 12/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, CompFreak(OD) said:

Fortunately, I have recently devised a way to record our meetings manually (without using any bots), with the implementation of a secondary discord account & virtual audio device to record from. I have also offered to assist others in setting it up, so that we have redundant recorders, in the event I can't be at every meeting or if I get disconnected.

:thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Already addressed this in my post:

:thumbsup:

Your friendly rose missed this, that is cool actually and I would be intrigued to learn how you did that 😮

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Your friendly rose missed this, that is cool actually and I would be intrigued to learn how you did that 😮

He’s using the program VAC or virtual audio cable  you can google it and download it for free. The use of it is SLIGHTLY more complicated. But we can make a tutorial or video on how to do so. I have much experience with this program with using it on team speak. 

Also yes. I’m not dead. Hello everyone! 😂

Edited by Xayj(OD)
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, using a free version of a program like that to utilize the virtual microphone is step 1... The other requirement is to download & install the "personal test build" version of discord (DiscordPTB), and setting it up to log in with a secondary discord account and the "virtual microphone" as it's recording / playback device. This is due to the fact that discord currently doesn't allow multiple instances of the application running simultaneously with 2 different accounts. 

Doing this allows you to record using that account (using any audio recording software you like, even the audio recorder that comes with windows). You have to do this because if you record using your primary OD discord account, you wouldn't be able to speak at the meeting (or at the very least, your voice wouldn't be on the recording).

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to suggest giving Warrant Officers the ability to give and take away rank roles up to Enlisted along with setting the persons main game. Being able to give rank would be helpful for everyone because it delegates more duties to lower ranks and would. I see people who don't use rank request and want to set their rank for them, but I'm unable. It would help to be able to remove rank as well because sometimes a trial member may fail their trial or an enlisted gets disabled, and sometimes they sit at the rank they had when they were still part of the clan on Discord.

-Raged(OD)😁

5 minutes ago, Raged(OD) said:

I'd like to suggest giving Warrant Officers the ability to give and take away rank roles up to Enlisted along with setting the persons main game. Being able to give rank would be helpful for everyone because it delegates more duties to lower ranks and would. I see people who don't use rank request and want to set their rank for them, but I'm unable. It would help to be able to remove rank as well because sometimes a trial member may fail their trial or an enlisted gets disabled, and sometimes they sit at the rank they had when they were still part of the clan on Discord.

-Raged(OD)😁

You used to be able to do this, at least I was able.. I will talk to @Xayj(OD) about this

• Thanks 1

Ok @Raged(OD). I’ve revised our roles again on discord. Yes, the Warrent office rank does not have this power. This was to mimic the powers of TeamSpeak. At least this is supposed to be the case. I don’t have full view permissions on our TS server. I will confirm this with our @General @Commanders if warrants officers should have this power and then make that change. 

Thanks for bringing this up! 🙂 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raged(OD) said:

@Xayj(OD) @MelodicRose(OD) @Terra @R.agnarok(OD) I seemed to have been doing the role changing wrong. Warrant Officers do in fact have the ability to do what I was suggesting.

-Raged(OD)😁

Glad to hear 😛

On a side note, noticed an error with twitch links being incorrect.. As the bot combines the first word of a person stream title with the link - ultimately breaking the link when you click on it.

8 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Glad to hear 😛

On a side note, noticed an error with twitch links being incorrect.. As the bot combines the first word of a person stream title with the link - ultimately breaking the link when you click on it.

I'll look into that this weekend! 🙂