Discord Suggestions/Recommendations/Concerns

Good evening OD! 

With the recent revival of discussion within the clan regarding the OD Discord, I wanted to create a thread to gather ideas/thoughts/concerns that people may have towards the Discord server in it's current state. This could include anything, ranging from current channel layout to literally any other point you may have that you want to bring up.

The purpose of this is to identify problems, concerns, or suggestions from people using the Discord, or who may be hesitant to using it for various reasons, and work to correct or alter the setup in a way that is easy for all in OD to use. These could be talking points within meetings and ultimately decision making for the Discord, so your thoughts are extremely welcomed and wanted. I will be editing this thread with the list of concerns that are brought forth so that they are not repeated and can be kept in a concise list. 

Discord Concerns/Problems:

• Ability to create password locked channels for meetings/interviews/etc
    • Can be worked around with specific roles, could make temporary roles as well. We can role lock channels, which would work for general/admin meetings.
  • Recording meetings
    • Meetings can be recorded using programs (OBS/Streamlabs/there are more but I am blanking), though I realize the integrated recording system in TS3 is more convenient - this will need to be explored.
  • The lack of people using the voice channels, rather only using text channels.
    • Unfortunately, this is something we would have to work on together - people do not join voice if no one else is on, but if one person appears many others follow I have noticed.
    • We are also spread out between two platforms, there is lack of knowledge that our Discord exists.

Discord Suggestions:

• (placeholder)
Edited by MelodicRose(OD)
  • Like 1

Just in case others in the community may be thinking along similar lines, this has actually been a topic of ongoing discussion among Generals and Commanders recently, and I've been granted permission to share some issues that have been brought up and addressed already:

1.  Ability to have passworded channels for meetings / interviews / etc.

2.  The ability to record our meetings.

3.  The fact that discord displays who is online and what game they are currently playing.

Fortunately, Solutions to address some of the above issues have already been thought of :

1. Discord currently does not have the ability to set passwords on channels, however it does have the ability to restrict access to specific channels based on roles. In other words,  we have the ability to manually set a specific 'role' for all Officers+ and Division Leaders (for admin meetings), and another separate role for Generals & commanders (for Generals-only meetings). While it can be cumbersome to initially set each members' role, it would provide the necessary restricted access to those meeting channels. We are also currently looking into scripting our own bot to assign these roles.
  2. While there are a some voice recorder bots available for 'free' use in discord, nothing in today's world is completely 'free'. Use of these 'free' public bots requires access to all connected IP addresses (among other sensitive data), which we do not wish to needlessly subject our members to. After looking into the possibility of creating a bot that only our own OD servers would have access to (with the help of @matchew(OD)), It would require many hours of coding to create our own "recorder bot", that would not be feasible to invest in creating at this time. Fortunately, I have recently devised a way to record our meetings manually (without using any bots), with the implementation of a secondary discord account & virtual audio device to record from. I have also offered to assist others in setting it up, so that we have redundant recorders, in the event I can't be at every meeting or if I get disconnected.
  3. There are specific options within the settings menu of discord, where you can disable the option of displaying what game you're playing. However, there is currently no option to set yourself as "away", "busy", or "appear as offline", like many other platforms do (i.e. steam, blizzard.net, etc.). This could be a pro or a con, depending how you look at it, but is a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things, and until the discord developers decide to incorporate that feature, we are at their mercy as far as that goes.

One topic of concern I have, is that while there may be dozens of members 'connected' to our discord server, very few members actually utilize the voice channels and actually talk to each other at a given time.  This drastically reduces the opportunities our members have, of meeting new people and forming the bonds of friendship that OD thrives on. The OD community has lasted many years, throughout many different games and divisions. We are able to span these gaps of games / divisions coming and going, because of the bonds of friendship that we form with each other. 

I for one, feel that we cannot afford to lose sight of this aspect in our community, however this is something that cannot be remedied by administration alone. We "can only lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink" so to speak, so we must, at the very least, "lead them to the water" by working together in showing much activity in the voice channels of discord, actively promoting members to interact with each other, and not just with a random message in the text channels here and there.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Just in case others in the community may be thinking along similar lines, this has actually been a topic of ongoing discussion among Generals and Commanders recently, and I've been granted permission to share some issues that have been brought up and addressed already:

1.  Ability to have passworded channels for meetings / interviews / etc.

2.  The ability to record our meetings.

3.  The fact that discord displays who is online and what game they are currently playing.

Fortunately, Solutions to address some of the above issues have already been thought of :

1. Discord currently does not have the ability to set passwords on channels, however it does have the ability to restrict access to specific channels based on roles. In other words,  we have the ability to manually set a specific 'role' for all Officers+ and Division Leaders (for admin meetings), and another separate role for Generals & commanders (for Generals-only meetings). While it can be cumbersome to initially set each members' role, it would provide the necessary restricted access to those meeting channels. We are also currently looking into scripting our own bot to assign these roles.
  2. While there are a some voice recorder bots available for 'free' use in discord, nothing in today's world is completely 'free'. Use of these 'free' public bots requires access to all connected IP addresses (among other sensitive data), which we do not wish to needlessly subject our members to. After looking into the possibility of creating a bot that only our own OD servers would have access to (with the help of @matchew(OD)), It would require many hours of coding to create our own "recorder bot", that would not be feasible to invest in creating at this time. Fortunately, I have recently devised a way to record our meetings manually (without using any bots), with the implementation of a secondary discord account & virtual audio device to record from. I have also offered to assist others in setting it up, so that we have redundant recorders, in the event I can't be at every meeting or if I get disconnected.
  3. There are specific options within the settings menu of discord, where you can disable the option of displaying what game you're playing. However, there is currently no option to set yourself as "away", "busy", or "appear as offline", like many other platforms do (i.e. steam, blizzard.net, etc.). This could be a pro or a con, depending how you look at it, but is a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things, and until the discord developers decide to incorporate that feature, we are at their mercy as far as that goes.

One topic of concern I have, is that while there may be dozens of members 'connected' to our discord server, very few members actually utilize the voice channels and actually talk to each other at a given time.  This drastically reduces the opportunities our members have, of meeting new people and forming the bonds of friendship that OD thrives on. The OD community has lasted many years, throughout many different games and divisions. We are able to span these gaps of games / divisions coming and going, because of the bonds of friendship that we form with each other. 

I for one, feel that we cannot afford to lose sight of this aspect in our community, however this is something that cannot be remedied by administration alone. We "can only lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink" so to speak, so we must, at the very least, "lead them to the water" by working together in showing much activity in the voice channels of discord, actively promoting members to interact with each other, and not just with a random message in the text channels here and there.

I think this is a great start in the right direction. Pretty sure as of right now the clan is using both Team Speak 3 and Discord for voice communication, I prefer Discord but I'm sure there are many others that think the same about TS3, but if we were to just use 1 instead of both it would be a lot better for the clan. We would know who is online or playing games just by logging on to Discord (if chosen) and would not have to divide the members among 2 servers. Also would be a great way for all members from different divisions to hop into other channels and say hi and get to know everyone like i did in the Diablo 2 channel the other day on Team speak. Would love to have a chat one of these nights about the Discord setup/organizing. 

Discord Suggestion - We need a setup so when you join the discord it automatically sets your rank based off the website (if possible) OR Division leaders will probably have to carry this responsibility for their members. Possibly link it to "Main Game" that you have on your profile to auto assign the channel it has you join as well?? Just some ideas off the top of my head to simplify the process for new members that are not use to the application or using voice servers. I will probably have more to add to this in the future but its a good start.

14 minutes ago, RedIce(OD) said:

Discord Suggestion - We need a setup so when you join the discord it automatically sets your rank based off the website (if possible) OR Division leaders will probably have to carry this responsibility for their members.

There is already a specific text channel that has already been created, called "#rank requests", where members can post in that channel and moderators will verify the person's rank on the website and manually assign the appropriate role (when they see the post). Once the role has been assigned, they will reply to the post, letting the member know the role has been assigned. As not all members use the exact same name on discord as they do on the website, it is rather difficult to code a bot that will do this for us. 

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
1 hour ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

There is already a specific text channel that has already been created, called "#rank requests", where members can post in that channel and moderators will verify the person's rank on the website and manually assign the appropriate role (when they see the post). Once the role has been assigned, they will reply to the post, letting the member know the role has been assigned. As not all members use the exact same name on discord as they do on the website, it is rather difficult to code a bot that will do this for us. 

Yeah that's what i figured but it was worth a shot. the simpler we can make something the better.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

There are specific options within the settings menu of discord, where you can disable the option of displaying what game you're playing. However, there is currently no option to set yourself as "away", "busy", or "appear as offline", like many other platforms do (i.e. steam, blizzard.net, etc.). This could be a pro or a con, depending how you look at it, but is a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things, and until the discord developers decide to incorporate that feature, we are at their mercy as far as that goes.

You actually can set your status in discord.  The options are Online, Idle, Do Not Disturb, Invisible and Offline. 

Just click your name at the bottom left of the discord app and the selection will appear.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Atrayas(OD) said:

You actually can set your status in discord.  The options are Online, Idle, Do Not Disturb, Invisible and Offline. 

Just click your name at the bottom left of the discord app and the selection will appear.

ah, well there you go! Learn something new every day...lol Thanks for the info!

21 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

ah, well there you go! Learn something new every day...lol Thanks for the info!

I even knew that comp lol , I really do hate discord with a passion because I find most the time people just type , and you know me I don’t shut up talking so I’d find myself not going on there as much as i go on ts , but I guess if there was no more ts  I’d have to  go on there and drive everyone mental .. as Kaitlyn has mentioned if we encourage members to the speaking channels that will bring the members   that don’t like discord ( myself)  to be on there bit more 🙂 that’s how I got to know members years back on ts was by jumping around ts chatting to anybody I’m pretty sure I’ll do that again lol 😂 

• Like 1

I made a temporary Discord channel on TS the other night and put myself globally away on TS and was on discord chat, but only 2 people showed up.  It's going to be a learning process, but probably worth the effort.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I made a temporary Discord channel on TS the other night and put myself globally away on TS and was on discord chat, but only 2 people showed up.  It's going to be a learning process, but probably worth the effort.

The problem is we have all of our members split up between 2 servers (Discord and TS3) which only makes it harder to meet everyone. I prefer using Discord because TS3 is going to make you pay to use their servers soon. It will take a community effort by all, especially division leaders, but i think if we get everybody using 1 server instead of 2 this change will be easy and much more efficient for the clan. I am on Discord almost everyday and by the looks of it the only channels that have been active are a few members in dota 2 and starcraft 2. I have seen 1-2 in diablo 2 but thats suppose to be the largest division we currently have. If we don't make a change this will continue to divide the clan and many friendships that would be built will never happen. Guess you guys/gals need to figure out which 1 you want to use and stick with it. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RedIce(OD) said:

The problem is we have all of our members split up between 2 servers (Discord and TS3) which only makes it harder to meet everyone. I prefer using Discord because TS3 is going to make you pay to use their servers soon. It will take a community effort by all, especially division leaders, but i think if we get everybody using 1 server instead of 2 this change will be easy and much more efficient for the clan. I am on Discord almost everyday and by the looks of it the only channels that have been active are a few members in dota 2 and starcraft 2. I have seen 1-2 in diablo 2 but thats suppose to be the largest division we currently have. If we don't make a change this will continue to divide the clan and many friendships that would be built will never happen. Guess you guys/gals need to figure out which 1 you want to use and stick with it. 

I agree Kenny, it makes it difficult.  That's why I was trying to entice them to Discord by being "away" on TS but in a Discord channel trying to encourage more to move over using the guides Zachery(OD) made up.  It's going to be a long process for the D2ers I believe.  We just have to keep encouraging it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

I agree Kenny, it makes it difficult.  That's why I was trying to entice them to Discord by being "away" on TS but in a Discord channel trying to encourage more to move over using the guides Zachery(OD) made up.  It's going to be a long process for the D2ers I believe.  We just have to keep encouraging it.

Yes I think this is a really good thing and the game has an overlay so you can see who is talking aswell, atleast for starcraft2. Let them know.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

That’s it cindy we got to really try get them on discord now if that’s the way forward I’m sure I can do it when back , even when I was on ts the other day there was like 5 people only 2 talking we get there I’m sure in time 

One thing I noticed last night was I created the subforums on Discord like we have on D2 TS for hardcore, softcore, etc. but they didn't stay permanent.  Is that something that can be fixed?

10 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

One thing I noticed last night was I created the subforums on Discord like we have on D2 TS for hardcore, softcore, etc. but they didn't stay permanent.  Is that something that can be fixed?

As far as I can tell, whenever you create a channel under the divisional heading (by clicking the + sign), it is permanent until someone else with channel creation permissions removes it.

One question / concern would be, is there a log generated at all to see who creates or deletes a channel like teamspeak has?

Another feature that we utilize in ts3, is concerning VIP channels: Is there a way to set a description for a particular channel?

For example: member 'anon-member(OD)' donates the required $$ to receive a permanent voip channel, and requests the channel be named "the hangout".  A few months later, anon asks a general to change the name of his channel to "xyz chill spot". Anon then leaves the community a few months later, but nobody knows what their vip channel was changed to because the general that changed it isn't around either, and nobody updated our teamspeak channel donators list... 

To address the above scenario, we could always go back to the way we used to do things, such as "delete the channel and see if anyone comes to complain about it being gone"... However many instances in the past come to mind during admin or generals meetings, regarding concerns about "clutter" and unused channels in our channel listing. We would then have to go through every channel and determine if it is needed / paid for or not... In order to avoid this time consuming process, during the past year or so in teamspeak, we've been implementing requiring a "channel description" in VIP and division lobby channels, to say who's personal channel it was, or who the division leaders are. Many Generals have been working to regularly police these channels (that I've witnessed on many occasions) and have been doing a great job keeping on top of unnecessary channels in our teamspeak, so kudos to them! I believe having these channel descriptions have had a positive impact and made it easier for generals to accomplish this ongoing task, which is exactly what it was designed to do. Losing this ability to set channel descriptions is not a huge set back, and we can set in place a process for Generals to keep our donator channels spreadsheet updated, but it is a concern nonetheless, as we will have to remain vigilant in policing these channels in discord.

• Like 1

at the bottom of the discord channels....theres the discord bot dsl logs....it used to show show members actual names when it reset dsl...now it only displays "member reset"

Also i have talked with purplez and some of the D2 div.....i would lie to see the D2 div take the lead in discord and we gonna do our best to get our div switched over to discord 🙂

• Commanders
17 minutes ago, PoPs(OD) said:

at the bottom of the discord channels....theres the discord bot dsl logs....it used to show show members actual names when it reset dsl...now it only displays "member reset"

Nice find, I just fixed it, it should now display names and other variables correctly.

1 hour ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

As far as I can tell, whenever you create a channel under the divisional heading (by clicking the + sign), it is permanent until someone else with channel creation permissions removes it.

One question / concern would be, is there a log generated at all to see who creates or deletes a channel like teamspeak has?

Another feature that we utilize in ts3, is concerning VIP channels: Is there a way to set a description for a particular channel?

For example: member 'anon-member(OD)' donates the required $$ to receive a permanent voip channel, and requests the channel be named "the hangout".  A few months later, anon asks a general to change the name of his channel to "xyz chill spot". Anon then leaves the community a few months later, but nobody knows what their vip channel was changed to because the general that changed it isn't around either, and nobody updated our teamspeak channel donators list... 

To address the above scenario, we could always go back to the way we used to do things, such as "delete the channel and see if anyone comes to complain about it being gone"... However many instances in the past come to mind during admin or generals meetings, regarding concerns about "clutter" and unused channels in our channel listing. We would then have to go through every channel and determine if it is needed / paid for or not... In order to avoid this time consuming process, during the past year or so in teamspeak, we've been implementing requiring a "channel description" in VIP and division lobby channels, to say who's personal channel it was, or who the division leaders are. Many Generals have been working to regularly police these channels (that I've witnessed on many occasions) and have been doing a great job keeping on top of unnecessary channels in our teamspeak, so kudos to them! I believe having these channel descriptions have had a positive impact and made it easier for generals to accomplish this ongoing task, which is exactly what it was designed to do. Losing this ability to set channel descriptions is not a huge set back, and we can set in place a process for Generals to keep our donator channels spreadsheet updated, but it is a concern nonetheless, as we will have to remain vigilant in policing these channels in discord.

Yes, discord has a logging feature called Audit logs, configurable as an option inside roles. All generals should have this option enabled already.

You can also select channels descriptions while editing a channel, it's called "channel topic". It's only available for chat channels, so create a chat channel for any voice channels.

3 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

They should stay permanent, I see you created them, and I still see them there, I couldn't find any logs that suggest otherwise, you can also check the Audit logs I mentioned before.

14 minutes ago, PoPs(OD) said:

what is the permanent discord invite link ....it should be somewhere easier to find

As a General, you can create one simply by clicking the 'make link permanent' box when creating an invite... Because discord uses their own server hardware to host our OD server, there is no specific IP address linked to our server... when you create a link and make it 'permanent' though, discord should continue to forward any requests to that link, directly to our server (and channel you are in when you create the link) - please correct me if I am wrong here, but when we first set our discord up, didn't we register the "discord.overdosed.net" name as a perma-link?

21 minutes ago, PoPs(OD) said:

what is the permanent discord invite link ....it should be somewhere easier to find

Discord.overdosed.net

• Commanders
3 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

As a General, you can create one simply by clicking the 'make link permanent' box when creating an invite... Because discord uses their own server hardware to host our OD server, there is no specific IP address linked to our server... when you create a link and make it 'permanent' though, discord should continue to forward any requests to that link, directly to our server (and channel you are in when you create the link) - please correct me if I am wrong here, but when we first set our discord up, didn't we register the "discord.overdosed.net" name as a perma-link?

Yes, discord.overdosed.net should work as intended, it's linked to a permanent link.

41 minutes ago, PoPs(OD) said:

Hello friends! I have made some quick videos to try and get people more familiar with Discord! If I am missing anything or you would like to see something else just let me know and I will put something together 🙂

https://discord.gg/hDRP5xT   (unexpiring link)

That comes from Zach's guide:

https://forum.overdosed.net/topic/69604-discord-guides/