Sign in to follow this  
CompFreak(OD)

Compfreak(OD)'s 4th: Oct 2019 Eval

Welcome everyone, to my 4th Evaluation!

I nominated myself for this Eval, because it has been 1 year since my last evaluation, and I wanted to open the floor to anyone that may have questions regarding what I’ve been up to this past year, or if they have any concerns with my actions or my role in this wonderful community. To clarify, posting this evaluation was not done with the expectation that I’ve done nearly enough to earn a 4th star at this time, but I do hope that you feel that I have at least done enough to warrant keeping my current 3-star rank.

What have I been up to in OD as a 3 star General, Administratively?

• Help to host our monthly Admin Meetings, in addition to attending them
  • Actively participate and help to formulate ideas to solve issues brought up in the forums
  • Attend General’s meetings / vote in all General Evaluations
  • Attend and occasionally host community-wide events (Cards night, Rocket League, chess tourney, etc.)
  • A participant in our “Rules Committee” and founding member of the “Recruit & Retention Committee”, even though there hasn’t been much activity in either of them for quite some time now…
  • Bounce around in different divisional voice channels, actively looking to help out where I can, even if just to say hello 😉
  • Help to manually update forum ranks to match the website
  • Help members with the recruiting process / explaining current dsl reset devices to recruiters and new recruits
  • Help to reset member passwords and ranks when necessary
  • Resolving issues between members as needed
  • Assist members in creating squads when needed
  • Offer advice / assistance to all ranks of members when asked, be it related or unrelated to OD
  • Try to keep a level head, and help others to keep their level heads, instead of reacting before thinking things out / “sleeping on it”.

What games have I been playing over this past year?

• Black Desert Online was a daily go-to for me towards the end of 2018, helping the division leaders with tracking guild finances daily & participating in guild activities, but interest dwindled by springtime of 2019 when it became more and more apparent that pay-to-win mechanics had taken over the fun of the game.

• Late summer of 2019 pretty much had been a blur of playing Diablo 3 regularly, helping to power-level many guild-mates for the new season, and trying to push Greater Rift levels of 100+ solo and in groups.

• These past few weeks I’ve started to really get into playing turn based games like Civilization V and other Civ variations (Beyond Earth, etc.)

• I am keeping an open mind and always up for trying new games as they come out, hoping for either a revival or a new MMO to sink myself into.

What have I been up to Outside of OD?

• In the beginning of 2019, I purchased  a plot of land and began preparing to design and build a house, doing most of the work myself and with friends.

• At the end of June 2019, I had an incident that left me with 3 severed tendons in my left hand. With surgery, lots of physical therapy, and about 3 months of being unable to game (or do much of anything else really), I thankfully am able to say now, that I have full functionality restored, with zero loss in feeling or range of motion. I am slowly getting back into gaming when I have free time, and trying to pick back up where I left off with my house building plans.

My Goals moving forward:

• To continue doing everything I can, to better the community as a whole.

• Try and spark a new interest in the Recruit & Retention Committee, in an effort to boost activity and growth for OD.

• Keep working on my own flaws, in order to become a better leader and more capable person in general.

• Learning new things and applying what I’ve learned in order to better serve the community.

In Summary: I’ve been focusing on doing my best to participate and work to the betterment of OD, from offering different viewpoints and solutions during discussions, to being around and accessible for other members & generals (even if just as a sounding board to bounce ideas off of or vent frustrations to), etc. I hope that I have at least lived up to the expectations of a 3 star in OD, but regardless of how this eval turns out, my goals will remain and I will continue being here for this great community. I look forward to your questions and comments, and I thank you for taking the time in reading my Evaluation! 

*Just a reminder to those not familiar with the current process: Posts are limited to 2 question posts (can have multiple questions per post), and 1 opinion / statement post, per person.*

Thanks Comp for volunteering to be evaluated and for everything you do for the Clan.

What is one specific idea you have to bring more members to the community?

What is something specific you think we as leaders can do to spark more interest in our current members?

Thanks for posting a question @Purplez(OD) ! I am still working on ideas to try and bring in new members to the community. As you know, it can be tough to motivate people to put forth effort to do much of anything these days... I also invite anyone with their own ideas, to post in the R & R committee or PM me, and I will do my best to help develop the idea and make it happen! In the past, Dave(OD) has hosted "recruitment contests", which yielded positive results, and we could benefit from a group effort of recruitment like that again in the near future.

The other (more difficult) part, is retaining those new members. I believe that while having members in-game that are active is good for growth in that division, we need to start focusing on getting new members to interact outside of the game (such as in teamspeak or discord). This is where we can really show what OD is all about, and where we really separate ourselves from the froth - We are not just in one game or another, but a community of gamers playing all different sorts of games at any given time, maintaining friendships beyond the games that come and go.

As far as something specific that we as leaders can do to spark more interest in our current member-base, the only place where I feel we are slacking-off in, is being active outside the games we play - being online and available in teamspeak / discord, posting in the forums, participating in events / awards, etc. We must lead by example, as I've seen you say many times around the forums 😉 , and I fully agree with that statement. We can't expect our members to care or show interest, if we show that we don't care about the community ourselves.

Thanks again for posting!

• Upvote 2

Boring amount of attention given to this Eval. Clearly you need to become a General that stirs up drama and controversy so that your evals will be more entertaining.

• Laugh 2

Nice Eval Comp.

What do you think is the cause of the big member drop recently? and how can we start to grow the community again?

Try and spark a new interest in the Recruit & Retention Committee, in an effort to boost activity and growth for OD.

1. What sorts of new ideas did you have in mind for sparking an interest in the R&R Committee and what sort of participation do you feel will be necessary to have a positive outcome?

2. What expectations do you have for Clan OD as a whole in both the near and distant future and what types of hurdles do you expect to see in the transition?

On 10/13/2019 at 5:14 AM, Terra said:

Boring amount of attention given to this Eval. Clearly you need to become a General that stirs up drama and controversy so that your evals will be more entertaining.

So sorry I'm not one that enjoys "stirring the pot"? lol, That is to say, unless I feel a sense of urgency to resolve what I feel is a major problem, as I have been known to do so in the past... But I like to think that I've learned from my past mistakes at the very least, and try to take a bit longer to reflect and work through things before reacting... Perhaps some good questions will bring some controversy or thought-provoking ideas? I look forward to them!

20 hours ago, DBZ(OD) said:

Nice Eval Comp.

What do you think is the cause of the big member drop recently? and how can we start to grow the community again?

Thanks for the questions DBZ! It's difficult to speculate why exactly we've experienced a drop in membership, but if I were to guess, I'd say we've recently experienced the perfect storm of 3 main factors: Back to school time (historically we always have a drop in activity & membership this time of year) , a significant lack of new / exciting / popular games to play, and a few of our key recruiting members being IA due to personal reasons (including some of our most historically successful recruiters). All of these things contribute just a little bit to a drop in activity / membership, but combined, we're experiencing some of the lowest member counts we've had in many years... 

Some things we can all start doing to grow the community again, is leading by example in making ourselves available to other members regularly (in game and in ts / discord), and taking the time to guide / help new players in our games. In my experience, helping someone level or gear up in a game, will make people more receptive to joining a clan/community - creating a 'shoe-in' for us to pick up the slack in recruitment efforts that we've experienced. This is not to say that some leaders haven't already been doing this, but bringing it out in the open could spark an influx of new recruitment efforts.

20 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

1. What sorts of new ideas did you have in mind for sparking an interest in the R&R Committee and what sort of participation do you feel will be necessary to have a positive outcome?

Some great questions MooMoo! I'll try to answer as best I can, but I'll apologize for the lengthy response ahead of time... 😉 

To clarify, when I stated my goal to "Try and spark a new interest in the Recruit & Retention Committee, in an effort to boost activity and growth for OD.", it was not intended as trying to get people to join the committee, but rather to spark an interest among the members of our community into contributing  something. 

When I first started the R & R Committee, my thoughts were more towards trying to get members to collectively help struggling divisions with recruitment, and provide a place to bounce ideas to help keep members active and stick around, in order to help give the idea the best way to succeed.

I've since then, come to the realization that:

• Division leaders can be hesitant to request help to begin with, and by the time they reach out to anyone, it becomes a race to get new recruits to revive the division, before they drop below the minimum 10-member requirement to stay a division. 
  • It is difficult to find members that have a specific game for a division, that isn't already a part of it, or has the means of investing both their money in the game and their time to try and help with recruiting, with little to no recognition for their efforts.

As far as the retention aspect of the committee, it has been pretty difficult to get people to open up about what they'd like to see happen to either help to retain members, or changing their minds about leaving us. However, there has been a few successful things that the R & R Committee has aided with, such as "Cards Against Humanity Nights" hosted by me, and a couple instances of  "Recruitment Contests", hosted by Dave(OD).

I've also come to the realization that when a member wants to host an event or hold a contest, going at it all alone is a very daunting task that requires much effort for one member to accomplish. Scheduling, promoting, getting prize approvals, setting rules / dates for the contest, then actually hosting the event are all things that goes into hosting / preparing for an event...

I feel as though the Retention part of the R & R Committee, would better serve OD as not just focusing on retaining our members, but also as an aid or helping-hand, open to all members, as a "sounding-board" for members of the entire community to bounce their ideas off of.

Helping to get approvals for rewards & prizes, helping advertise / schedule events, helping to create a place to host them (i.e. ts / discord channel creation), etc. - are all things that the members of the R & R Committee can help our OD members with. Be it hosting fun activities for the whole community, having recruitment contests with prizes, or any other idea that someone may have, I want to make bringing it to the R & R Committee, is to bring your idea to a place you can post and get some feedback from other like-minded members to make it better or more successful. Whether it's helping members to schedule their event so that it doesn't conflict with other events on the calendar, or if you want to offer rewards & prizes (like OD T-shirts or personal temporary ts/discord channels, rank promotions, medals, etc.), or needing the generals' approval to offer such prizes, the committee can offer the means to request them and help to make your idea become a reality. Participation will be open to any and everyone in the community, so if you have an idea or event proposal, or if you need a place to bounce your ideas off of, speak up or post in the committee board! 

In order to "spark" this fuse, I plan on getting in touch with some of our social media leaders to not only help advertise and promote the interactive direction of the committee, but also to work in conjunction with the committee for events & contests that members would like to host. With some luck, this will help to maintain the member-driven friendly atmosphere that I think of when I think about OD - a place that people want to contribute towards.

20 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

2. What expectations do you have for Clan OD as a whole in both the near and distant future and what types of hurdles do you expect to see in the transition?

I expect that OD as a whole, has, and will continue to evolve with the times. As long as there are members willing to contribute their time and efforts, I expect we will continue on for many years to come. Along with adjusting with the times, which most people are all for (including things like updating our website, modifying our expectations for different ranks of members, etc.), comes inherent issues such as finding / vetting members with the required coding skills that are willing to volunteer their time and effort to help modernize our website / VoIP, or be it navigating through the bureaucracy enacting changes on a community-wide scale (which is a scaled constant in any non-dictatorship, that as the number of people affected increases, it becomes more and more difficult to affect change, no matter if it is a gaming community, a town, or an entire country).

We as leaders, must not only weigh our own opinions when discussing such changes, but be proficient in adjusting our own thoughts / ideas / perspectives, to try and include the needs and wants of as many members we can, all while trying to accomplish what's best for the community as a whole. That is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in my opinion - no matter how good of an idea we may have to fix a problem, you can't make everyone happy, and there will almost always be some sort of differing opinion or opposition on how best to resolve an issue. Some hurdles we have overcome in the past, and some we will continue to face moving forward - such as the dips in activity and member counts associated with time passing / games losing interest / drama between members (not everyone will get along all the time). The thing that separates us from any other clan that I've witnessed, is that OD isn't limited to just one game or another. As I've stated before, games will come and go, but the friendships and bonds we create by interacting regularly with each other here in OD, will help us continue to persevere. Are we or will we ever be a perfect community? Probably not, but we don't live in a perfect world, and you can't please everyone. We can only do our best to weather the storm (*see above response to Dbz's question), and continue to provide a place where people all over the world can come and interact, play games, and have fun together.

I hope I've answered some of your concerns, and thank you for taking the time to post on my eval!

Edited by CompFreak(OD)
  • Like 1

What flaws in yourself do you wish to work on. What in particular have you noticed to being a flaw?

In the event of a downturn in OD, what avenue would you explore to bring in more membership?

1 hour ago, SuNSeT said:

What flaws in yourself do you wish to work on. What in particular have you noticed to being a flaw?

In the event of a downturn in OD, what avenue would you explore to bring in more membership?

Thanks for the questions Sunset!

We all have flaws, there is no denying that. Some we are aware of, and some escape our knowledge. I am no exception to this... One flaw I have learned that I have, is that I constantly think about how things could go wrong, trying to anticipate and adjust preemptively, rather than being patient and take the "let's try this that way, and wait and see" approach (which most people tend to do). It has served me well for some situations, but it is important to keep a balance in everything (something I have always struggled with, and am constantly working on, as noted in my previous evals). Learning from your mistakes and flaws is what separates us from insanity (doing the same things the same way, over and over again, but expecting a different result), so it is important to always be on the lookout to recognize, self-reflect, and keep an open mind when others are kind enough to help you recognize some of your flaws with their constructive criticisms 😉. This is one reason that I actually enjoy these evals, because it can be very useful to open your own eyes as to how you are doing and what you can do to improve yourself - and not just in the community. As others can testify, things that we can learn in a community such as ours, we can, and have applied to our daily lives and life experiences, not just here, but through many aspects of our lives.

To answer your 2nd question, I believe that we are experiencing a "downturn" in OD right now. If you'll review some of my responses to others' questions above, I have spent much time in thinking of ways to approach our current situation, and have come up with trying to improve certain aspects of the R & R Committee. Taking some first steps in order to swing the tides back in a favorable direction by working to include more members, and trying to improve on ways to make it easier / more appealing to members in having a greater involvement in the community. This is how I intend on approaching this problem, but I am but 1 of many people working on a solution. Just as I believe our situation is caused by many factors, I believe it will take many approaches and different ways to course-correct, and it will take the efforts of many members of all different ranks working towards our common goal, in order to really succeed. 

Hi Comp,

I don't think anyone will or can question your level of involvement in the community. Your reach has touched every part of this clan and continues to do so. I respect your input and thought that you put into each discussion we have on any front whether that be in the generals board, officers board or general clan forum. You are a very analytical person ( I guess its an accountant thing ) haha but none the less  with that being said is your goal to just receive an evaluation or are you trying to get to 4star?

14 minutes ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

Hi Comp,

I don't think anyone will or can question your level of involvement in the community. Your reach has touched every part of this clan and continues to do so. I respect your input and thought that you put into each discussion we have on any front whether that be in the generals board, officers board or general clan forum. You are a very analytical person ( I guess its an accountant thing ) haha but none the less  with that being said is your goal to just receive an evaluation or are you trying to get to 4star?

Thanks for the kind words DaBomb! To be honest, I put myself up for this eval with the intentions of just keeping my 3 star rank, and because of the fact that I haven't done an eval in a year... That said, If my General peers and the community feels that I am deserving of a 4th star, I won't say no, and would be happy to accept it. However, when I think of a 4-star General, I guess I just put it up on a pedestal to the point of me not feeling like I've done enough to earn it, especially with my limited activity during this past summer (due to my hand injury).

Thank you for your response Comp and your honesty in which you presented your evaluation. For my last questions what do you think we as leaders could do better to continually improve the community. Where do you feel we lack and where do you feel we are strong?

Good Evening Comp,

By the way, thanks for helping me out with my computer issue and thanks for taking the time for making an evaluation and putting yourself out there to own the accountability piece of our position.

Similar to Mike, there were several times where you were standoff to your peers on the forum to the point in which it may be seen as a personal attack. I have seen this occasionally in the past, but it has become more consistently lately. What has changed to make you approach challenges this way?

I also have some additional questions for you below.

What irritates you about other leaders, and how do you deal with it?

What is your greatest fear for the community?

Who has impacted you most in OD, and how?

What's the most important thing you've learned in OD?

14 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

Thank you for your response Comp and your honesty in which you presented your evaluation. For my last questions what do you think we as leaders could do better to continually improve the community. Where do you feel we lack and where do you feel we are strong?

Short but loaded question... I like it!

Like I've stated, it is difficult to resolve community wide issues due to the inherent bureaucracy that comes with a managing a community such as ours, but at the same time, it is due to this bureaucracy, that we often reach the best compromise between differing ideas to solve the problem at hand. A necessary evil, if you will... Where I feel we fall short sometimes, is when we have leaders that are either "too busy" to post their opinion / ideas, or they feel that their opinion has already been represented by someone else, so they don't care to speak up - as exampled by some posts in the General's forum where it was required that some of our more "silent" generals post before other, more vocal members were allowed to weigh in. We can definitely improve on our communication between each other, and in turn, with the community. In contrast, I feel that with our current group of Generals, we are quite proficient in resolving matters between members, and this has had a huge role in reducing the amount of "drama" that I've witnessed in the community -  That doesn't just go for our Generals, but many Officers / Sr. Officers have had a part in this as well, which definitely puts a smile on my face 🙂. Thanks for the good questions!

10 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

By the way, thanks for helping me out with my computer issue

Since I've been a member of OD (roughly 4 years now), I pride myself on being able to offer my help and experience with building / troubleshooting computers to all members, because I enjoy it, and it is my pleasure to help out when I can. 😉

11 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

thanks for taking the time for making an evaluation and putting yourself out there to own the accountability piece of our position.

I think that all Generals should make an effort in order to better serve our community, and as such, should post an eval whether they are required to do so or not, at least once a year.  Even though I'm not sure on how such a rule change would go over with my General peers, It would keep us Generals "on our toes" a bit more, rather than getting "comfy" once we've obtained a rank. I believe it would also serve to motivate us to constantly work towards doing better, not just for ourselves, but for our community.

there were several times where you were standoff to your peers on the forum to the point in which it may be seen as a personal attack. I have seen this occasionally in the past, but it has become more consistently lately. What has changed to make you approach challenges this way?

As far as seeming "stand-off-ish" with my peers, I don't recall a particular instance in which I intended a personal attack, and if there was, I do apologize... If you have a specific example in mind, I could maybe offer a more direct explanation, but I've tried to be the one usually pushing for attacking a problem, not an opposing debater (ever since I've learned that lesson in the past, the hard way). When an opposing idea is presented, I try to work through their viewpoint, taking note of any flaws I may see, that a more nefarious / devious member could take advantage of, and try to propose some type of compromise or (what I may think to be) a better solution. I realize that it may seem to come out as being "stand-off" with them, but I assure you, that it is unintentional probably 95 - 99% of the time. We all have the common goal of doing what we think is best for the community, and I do my best to keep that in mind. We ourselves may sometimes be blinded by our own thoughts towards unintended repercussions of our ideas, and I feel as though I would be doing a disservice to the community if I didn't raise a concern when I see an issue with one. That goes for my own ideas, and try to take any constructive criticisms noticed by my peers, as well.

What irritates you about other leaders, and how do you deal with it?

The thing that irritates me the most about other leaders... hmm... I'd have to say that the lack of activity on topics presented in the General's forum by some of my peers, is one thing that grinds my gears. It is an easily rectifiable problem to have, yet still occurs because of one reason or another. I deal with this by being that much more active myself, trying to "lead by example" if you will, and picking up the slack if need be. This community is much bigger than 3 or 4 individuals, and as such, should require that much more to help guide and nurture it. Every opinion matters, no matter how small, but if you don't speak up, your voice won't be heard at all, and it could be construed as not contributing anything.

What is your greatest fear for the community?

I am not one that "fears" too many things in life, but one thing that many people fear is death. I too fear death, but of the community. As such, do as much as I possibly can in order to help the community grow and succeed. This is probably my driving force for all that I do for this community, because it has always been a place for me to "come home" to, and I want it to keep moving forward... 

Who has impacted you most in OD, and how?

Over these past four years, I've been able to form bonds of friendship all throughout OD, and can only hope that I have impacted some people in some shape or form, the way that many of you have impacted on me. I guess the one person that has impacted me the most, would be my recruiter, Dave(OD): Without whom, I would never have known this great community to begin with. Because he recruited me and introduced me to this wonderful community, I could say that every impact after joining, was inherently his doing, so thank you @Dave(OD)! 😉 

What's the most important thing you've learned in OD?

This question could be one of the more difficult questions for me to answer... I would have to say that learning how to work in a team comprised of all very different personalities, with all different kinds of viewpoints, and differing opinions - is one thing that sticks out in my mind as pretty high on the list of importance. Without the ability to do so would cause a collapse, so it is really a necessity for us Generals to learn to be proficient in looking at things from different perspectives in order to reach the best possible solution to a problem. No one person has all the answers, so we must rely on each other in order to work towards our common goal of solving the issue at hand with a collective "best solution"!

Thank you for the thought-provoking questions Badboi!

First Comp Thanks for posting your eval, as you know it can be a stressful but character building event! and is always trying to self improve to better yourself for the community

22 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Since I've been a member of OD (roughly 4 years now), I pride myself on being able to offer my help and experience with building / troubleshooting computers to all members, because I enjoy it, and it is my pleasure to help out when I can. 😉

same sir

23 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

We can definitely improve on our communication between each other, and in turn, with the community. In contrast, I feel that with our current group of Generals, we are quite proficient in resolving matters between members, and this has had a huge role in reducing the amount of "drama" that I've witnessed in the community -  That doesn't just go for our Generals, but many Officers / Sr. Officers have had a part in this as well, which definitely puts a smile on my face 🙂. Thanks for the good questions!

good point comp

I'd like like ask a few questions:

Is there ever a time that you feel overwhelmed with things in life+gaming+OD? and if so who do you talk to about it? or do you dip it down and keep smiling?

Is their ever a time where your work environment pressures you and requires you to put other things on the back-burner on weekends and evenings?

If you were given $500 & a team of 3 dedicated members to allocate 10 hours a week to spend on creating a better community what would you invest it on?

Thanks for asking! I'll try to answer as best I can...

14 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Is there ever a time that you feel overwhelmed with things in life+gaming+OD? and if so who do you talk to about it? or do you dip it down and keep smiling?

I have reached a balance of constantly being overwhelmed in most of my life aspects, which comes hand in hand with everything I find myself involved in, with OD and outside of OD... 

I would say that at this current point in my personal life, no, I do not feel overwhelmed, simply because I know for a fact that it can always be worse / more complicated...

Somebody, somewhere, always has more things to deal with than you do at any given moment. Because I fully believe that this is the case,  my answer to your question is no, I do not feel overwhelmed, and do my best to just focus on the task at hand... As much as I deal with on a daily basis, be it business, personal, or OD related, there is always going to be somebody out there that has it 10x as complicated or worse than me. I don't delve into feeling "overwhelmed" at all. Even during the first half of the year, when I find myself spending 100+ hours per week at work, only to come home to helping people with computer builds, or if I'm helping friends & family with car or home repairs sometimes, I tend to focus on the moment and do what I can, when I can. If I ever feel like I can't keep up the pace, I do have a select few that I may rely on to vent my frustrations of course, but in the end, it is really up to the individual to decide on how to continue moving forward. One way or another, you either end up laying in a fetal position on the floor, or you stand up and take control of your future... I am one of the latter group (though I have been known to use Scotch as a crutch on occasion, but therein lies another balancing act in and of itself😉 ).

Is their ever a time where your work environment pressures you and requires you to put other things on the back-burner on weekends and evenings?

On a constant basis , every year from roughly February to May. As an accountant,  tax preparer, and business owner, the first half of every year comprises of me spending anywhere from 90-110 hours per week at work. That pretty much consumes the entirety of my week, other than sleep, to working. How I'm able to do this, is by leaving my personal, gaming, and OD time, to sundays, which I set a personal boundary for, because I refuse to work on a Sunday. As much as a necessity it is to dedicate time for things you NEED to do, it is important to set aside time and boundaries for things you WANT to do as well. Otherwise, I have found that you can become "burnt-out" too quickly, and too often. For some people, you may need just 1 day per week set aside that you can relax, other individuals may require two, and others may require multiple evenings after work, throughout the week, in order to have their balance. Everyone has a different required balance, but I've personally found that I can function effectively as long as I have at least 1 day per week away from work responsibilities. 😉 

If you were given $500 & a team of 3 dedicated members to allocate 10 hours a week to spend on creating a better community what would you invest it on?

Having a team of 3 or a team of 20 individuals doesn't differentiate between the quality of those that are donating their time, and no matter how much money you throw at something, it will only be as effective as the least involved individual, as I've come to learn in my experiences... We are a community of many people, playing many different types of games, and as such, the more people involved in trying to help the community (whether it's recruiting, hosting events, resolving issues, helping to code website updates, or helping to create an inviting atmosphere), the more effective it will be.

That said, if you told me that "we have $500 to spend, and 3 dedicated members willing to donate a minimum of 10 hours every week, what should we spend it on?", my first question would be how their skills measure up, because we could definitely use that much more help towards improving & updating our website, forums, and overall web-presence (after @R.agnarok(OD) vetting them of course), which would help improve our Quality of Life factor for all members, and in turn, our overall health as a community.  I guess the real question is the skill-set of the members that are volunteering their time and effort toward the cause?

Monetary donations are truly more of a factor towards  "keeping the lights on", which I have, and will always support, and there will always be something else that people may want to donate towards, as is the purpose of the "donation emporium" that @Terra led the creation of. 

Thank you for the great questions @snicker66(OD)!

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

Comp

You have my vote to remain at your current rank. Like I said to Aerineth even the easiest evals take time so thank you for posting an eval. You have done nothing to warrant a demotion and therefore have had a smooth eval, which is nice. However I think unexpectedly there was some information brought up that you can definitely work on presented by Badboi after all perception is reality for many. You are a solid problem solver and usually can keep a clear mind but when you are overly passionate about something you can take to the defense and become a tad bit hard to work with on things. All in all your awesome at what you do and with a couple minor awareness concerns in the future id like to see you at a 4* that is the direction you are headed. 

• Like 1

Compfreak I feel you are undeniably an important part of this community, and provide both a unique personality and valuable set of skills and work ethic that round out the General team quite well. In fact your work ethic can be considered your strongest asset, I think you are among the hardest workers in the community. You've made some mistakes in the past, some of them positively absurd, but looking back on them you're actually really good at acknowledging and taking responsibility for your mistakes too, far better and more gracefully than most others. You are always looking to improve yourself, and you're never afraid to question others even though some of your questions are just.... ugh...

e2ebbc029c9223628729df2c385294cfaeda0069

You have a tendency to overthink problems and underthink solutions to them. You'll imagine the ways in which scenarios can go bad and want to create elaborate plans to account for them, without really establishing a basis for your concerns. Other times you'll propose extensive tracking methods involving posts, spreadsheets, website changes, or policy alterations for resolutions that actually required relatively simple resolutions. I feel like if we accepted every solution you've proposed up to this point then our Clan would be such a web of bureaucracy that just thinking about it makes me want to stick another copy of the earlier image back into this sentence. As if that wasn't enough, your arguments can be difficult to follow as you sometimes tack on more or wildly different suggestions and points onto your arguments as the discussion progresses, making it feel like a runaway train constantly trying to veer off its own tracks. All of which has infamously made me want to pull my own hair out trying to argue with you over things, and I'll even admit that in my frustration I've even sent some scathing responses to you on occasion, and a small part of me is actually impressed that you've weathered them as well as you have. (Just the occasional passive-aggressive remark here and there)

The most recent example I can give is our argument in the Inactive Requests topic in the Rules Committee board. (https://forum.overdosed.net/topic/68437-inactive-requests/#comments)

Which does a pretty good job of encompassing everything I mentioned above. A simple problem, requiring only a simple solution, that you created an overly elaborate solution for and vehemently defended with an ever-shifting argument that was difficult to follow, resulting in my predictably frustrated backlash. And to drive home my point I will also mention that we implemented the simple solution presented and as far as I'm aware there has never been an issue with it, so I'd like to re-emphasize the point that simple solutions are more than enough sometimes!

Despite all that, you and I actually share a lot of similar values. Both willing to do what it takes to support the community, even at our own personal expense sometimes. Both earnest in looking for ways to improve the Clan and help the people in it. Both unafraid to question or oppose views. Both similarly aggrieved by the lack of activity General topics often receive. And I actually really like the fact that you volunteered to post for an eval and are trying to shoot for higher position of your own volition. Ambition is important, we should always strive to reach greater heights.

For most of the month I was actually pretty certain I was going to vote against you, but after reviewing your performance in the Clan I think your merits are actually starting to win me over despite some lingering concerns I have about your judgement at times. I think your spirit and work ethic are actually something the Clan is going to need a lot of in the era we are moving into. I will vote to support your promotion to 4-Star General, something you can consider to be an achievement all on its own, whether you win or lose the eval, as mine would have been one of your harder votes to win.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Having a team of 3 or a team of 20 individuals doesn't differentiate between the quality of those that are donating their time, and no matter how much money you throw at something, it will only be as effective as the least involved individual, as I've come to learn in my experiences... We are a community of many people, playing many different types of games, and as such, the more people involved in trying to help the community (whether it's recruiting, hosting events, resolving issues, helping to code website updates, or helping to create an inviting atmosphere), the more effective it will be.

That said, if you told me that "we have $500 to spend, and 3 dedicated members willing to donate a minimum of 10 hours every week, what should we spend it on?", my first question would be how their skills measure up, because we could definitely use that much more help towards improving & updating our website, forums, and overall web-presence (after @R.agnarok(OD) vetting them of course), which would help improve our Quality of Life factor for all members, and in turn, our overall health as a community.  I guess the real question is the skill-set of the members that are volunteering their time and effort toward the cause?

Thanks for the reply @CompFreak(OD)

I do understand it is merely a hypothetical, but valid concerns for analyzing the potential outcomes based on the inputs.  

Thank you for your analysis on how you would go about considering what to do with your given situation! and the other two questions aswell, yes I read them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

Comp

You have my vote to remain at your current rank. Like I said to Aerineth even the easiest evals take time so thank you for posting an eval. You have done nothing to warrant a demotion and therefore have had a smooth eval, which is nice. However I think unexpectedly there was some information brought up that you can definitely work on presented by Badboi after all perception is reality for many. You are a solid problem solver and usually can keep a clear mind but when you are overly passionate about something you can take to the defense and become a tad bit hard to work with on things. All in all your awesome at what you do and with a couple minor awareness concerns in the future id like to see you at a 4* that is the direction you are headed. 

Thank you for your input and kind words Dabomb, and I certainly plan on continuing to work on improving myself in order to better serve the community!

4 hours ago, Terra said:

For most of the month I was actually pretty certain I was going to vote against you, but after reviewing your performance in the Clan I think your merits are actually starting to win me over despite some lingering concerns I have about your judgement at times. I think your spirit and work ethic are actually something the Clan is going to need a lot of in the era we are moving into. I will vote to support your promotion to 4-Star General, something you can consider to be an achievement all on its own, whether you win or lose the eval, as mine would have been one of your harder votes to win.

To be honest, this really both surprises and humbles me. Thank you for your insights, and no matter where this eval takes me, I will continue to work towards bettering myself (including not overthinking problems and under-thinking solutions to them), and what I can offer the community, as best I can 😉

3 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Thanks for the reply @CompFreak(OD)

I do understand it is merely a hypothetical, but valid concerns for analyzing the potential outcomes based on the inputs.  

Thank you for your analysis on how you would go about considering what to do with your given situation! and the other two questions aswell, yes I read them!

It was my pleasure! I hope I was able to answer them sufficiently for you, and if you have any further or follow-up questions, please feel free to reach out to me via TS, Private message, etc., and I will be happy to oblige. :thumbsup:

Thanks for answering my question Comp.

You have my support for this promotion.  You are one of the most approachable generals.  I have seen you multiple times hoping around TS just to chat or play games with the rest of the community.  Have proven yourself to be a great problem solver.  You host admin meetings and weigh in on every topic in the generals board.  Good Luck on this promotion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DBZ(OD) said:

Thanks for answering my question Comp.

You have my support for this promotion.  You are one of the most approachable generals.  I have seen you multiple times hoping around TS just to chat or play games with the rest of the community.  Have proven yourself to be a great problem solver.  You host admin meetings and weigh in on every topic in the generals board.  Good Luck on this promotion.

Thank you for the support! I do usually try to jump around and at least say hi every once in a while 😉 

Hey there Compfreak,

I'll keep my evaluation of you short and sweet but apologize for it's brevity. I don't have any questions after reviewing the activity in this thread. There's been a lot of good points made to you about where you stand. And if there's one thing I know about you, you take them all to heart and use them to better yourself. 

I think it would be a huge disservice to you to vote for your demotion. You're quite possibly the most active General we have right now by a long shot. There is so much good I see in your future. And it is for these reasons I'm also voting for you to have a chance to go to that coveted 4th star. 

Best of luck Compfreak. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

Hey there Compfreak,

I'll keep my evaluation of you short and sweet but apologize for it's brevity. I don't have any questions after reviewing the activity in this thread. There's been a lot of good points made to you about where you stand. And if there's one thing I know about you, you take them all to heart and use them to better yourself. 

I think it would be a huge disservice to you to vote for your demotion. You're quite possibly the most active General we have right now by a long shot. There is so much good I see in your future. And it is for these reasons I'm also voting for you to have a chance to go to that coveted 4th star. 

Best of luck Compfreak. 

Thanks for the kind words and support Aerineth!

Comp, I'm really torn on promotion or remain. But of course, I have to make a decision. My decision is to remain. I think you always let us know your opinion and you are always offering help. Also, I do think you have made massive improvements since the last evaluation, but there is still room for improvements. Try not to jump to conclusions without going to the person first (you should know the thread I'm talking about) and don't make broad acquisitions when 1-on-1 conversations are needed. If you need support to handle this situation, please reach out to the Commanders instead of throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. Like I said, this was a very difficult decision to make, but thanks for everything you do comp.