Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Ask the Leaders

7 minutes ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

This statement is false.

Senior Officers can disable as well. Major's can disable anyone below the rank of WO1. Lt. Colonels can disable CWO2, and Colonel's can disable CWO3's. Brigs can disable anyone at or below Major, and each rank above can disable one rank higher. That said, Senior officers have almost never disabled people in the past. With the exception of perhaps resignations, it doesn't happen very often. Generally speaking, they've left that power up to the Generals in their division.

Oof... I've fixed it. Good catch, and thank you!

5 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I am pretty sure that there are contingencies in place for members of the community to call for an evaluation of a General, if they feel that General is not upholding the responsibilities of their rank (which should be noted in the "Guide to Everything" under Generals Promotions, but I am having trouble finding it myself). If there is not currently such a contingency on this, I would personally agree that there should be. Perhaps one of our Commanders can elaborate more on this @Terra, @Aerineth(OD), @Badboi(OD)?

I've answered this earlier in this thread.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, Aerineth(OD) said:
On 4/16/2014 at 4:38 PM, Badboi(OD) said:

If at anytime 5 members including an officer (or from a top 3 Warrant Officer) believe that their division General is no longer doing their job. They can request an evaluation.

These can be submitted to any other General or a Commander. They will then be nominated for an evaluation for which they must submit or be demoted by default.

The quote from Badboi came from this thread..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

I've answered this earlier in this thread.

The quote from Badboi came from this thread..

Ah, thank you again... I knew I remembered reading it somewhere recently...hahaha

On 5/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, v3n0m(OD) said:

making the time between promotions especially for certain ranks a good bit longer

Interesting question v3n0m. I am actually of a differing opinion and that's what's cool about the community is that we add our prospective together and see if we can compromise.

There are 28 ranks in our community, but five ranks (1 unofficial) that I feel are major milestones. I believe the other incremental ranks are for "all the feelz", but what's funny is that people get the most butthurt about others climbing up these incremental ranks quickly. If someone goes from WO1 to WO5 in a month and a half, many members are all up in arms. However, what happens if after that they sat at WO5 for 1,156 days. To me, the major ranks are Enlisted+, Division Lead, Officer, General, and Commander. Everything in-between are "power ups". So in my world, worrying about how fast an enlisted goes up the incremental ranks is making mountains out of molehills.

Also, while this is a Q&A there are many opinions in the clan; even among generals and commanders. Even on the topic of insta-disable. I believe that if you are a legal or security threat, we will ban first and ask questions later.

Posted (edited)

Question to all Commanders & 3 star Generals: @Aerineth(OD) @Badboi(OD) @Terra @R.agnarok(OD) @Triny(OD) @CompFreak(OD) @PoPs(OD) @Sassy

What would be your biggest downfall this year? What was it? and How did you overcome this and strive for success??

Edited by Membership(OD)

47 minutes ago, Membership(OD) said:

Question to all Commanders & 3 star Generals: @Aerineth(OD) @Badboi(OD) @Terra @R.agnarok(OD) @Triny(OD) @CompFreak(OD) @PoPs(OD) @Sassy

What would be your biggest downfall this year? What was it? and How did you overcome this and strive for success??

Technically, @Triny(OD) is not a commander, nor a 3 star....lol but anyway, to answer your question:

So far this year, my biggest difficulty has been having and making time for all the shenanigans OD has to offer, mostly due to me being an accountant and owning my own firm, and the recently tapered off tax season. In addition, I've recently taken on starting to build a house with my own two hands and some friends and family to help when needed (this past month alone I took down 9-200+ ft trees, some as large as 4ft in diameter at the trunk, to clear the area on my lot for a house!). So yea, I'm a pretty busy guy and do my best to maintain my duties and responsibilities, both in life, and here in OD. How you ask? Very carefully designed time management skills, and prioritization of importance. On occasion, attention to some areas of my life may start to wane when focus shifts to other areas, but then I take a breath, allow myself to delegate tasks that can be handled by others willing to help out, and in the grand scheme of things that need to be done, I do my best to try and keep the balance of the juggling act that is life. Thank you for the great question @Membership(OD):thumbsup:.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

In addition, I've recently taken on starting to build a house with my own two hands and some friends and family to help when needed (this past month alone I took down 9-200+ ft trees, some as large as 4ft in diameter at the trunk, to clear the area on my lot for a house!)

Mr CompFreak:

On a completely unrelated note (Ms terra please do not delete this request) can you please post pictures of this or do you have a facebook where you are showing the house in progress. I am fascinated by "pioneer crafts" and ancient arts, I LOVE cabins, hunting, fishing (I field dress and eat anything I hunt by the way, meat comes from animals not the magic supermarket fairy) etc.  (save the scrap wood for a Franklin stove). Another post in the community section would be excellent if convenient for you. I wanted to be "Jeremiah Johnson" as a child (old person movie reference)

You did make it yourself. A remnant of the past.

Regards

GD

PS Technically this is a question of the leaders.

Edited by GhostDog(OD)
expanded request

2 hours ago, Membership(OD) said:

Gonna turn this into an eval for all of us now? =P

I'm not sure what constitutes as a "downfall" but if you mean mistake then I would say my most avid mistake so far this year was in allowing my frustration towards Ray overtake my professional conduct in his resignation thread.

Most of us in leadership have resigned ourselves to the reality that most of what we do is going to be a thankless job, and some people are going to be very vocal about their disagreements to some of our decisions, maybe even give us a hard time about it. No matter how much we try to be transparent and open about our reasoning, that will never really change. Which is fine, we aren't really doing what we do to be thanked and adored, or at least I don't think that's the case for most of us.

But it's still hard sometimes. When you spend hours investigating a situation as thoroughly as possible to make sure you understand it, days of discussion nailing down the most fair decision for that situation, and many posts and PMs trying to explain the reasoning for that decision to those who are angry or confused, only to still end up being called tyrants, or accused of favoritism, or listen to people say our reasons are fake and intended to hide hidden agendas. It's hard not to let things like that get to you sometimes, and occasionally even the best of us let our stress seep into our posts and conversations on occasion.

For the most part I like to think I weather it pretty stoically, but every so often I have been known to let it get the better of me. It happened recently with Ray, and that was my mistake.

16 minutes ago, GhostDog(OD) said:

Mr ComprFreak:

On a completely unrelated note (Ms terra please do not delete this request) can you please post pictures of this or do you have a facebook where you are showing the house in progress. I am fascinated by "pioneer crafts" and ancient arts, I LOVE cabins, etc.  (save the scrap for a Franklin stove)

You did make it yourself.

Regards

GD

I'm not going to delete your post, because it isn't argumentative or mean-spirited. That said, I'm also not really sure why you are using the "Ask the Leaders" topic to ask Compfreak for house pictures either.

Posted (edited)

@Membership(OD) Colin to be honest with you I’ve not been as active as before due to family stuff which I will not speak of here so I can not really  answer your question  in full but I knew this was coming lol , but I will say I have always carried out what duties I could answered any pm that’s needed my attention posted my thoughts on things if needed I just wasn’t gaming .. there really only one thing that’s really stood out pass few months and thats ray and all what’s gone on with him  I spent a hell of a lot time with him , and how I have tried so hard to help him and tried to to get him to show others what he really was capable of but I feel he really let himself down with quite few of his actions to be honest that was really draining as I was dealing with family stuff and I still am  but I thought if I could help one person come good my work with them would have had results but in his case nah it went pear shape will I do it again to help another of course I will if I can see good in someone il shall try my best to help them but it did put me off helping anyone after ray but I will always see good in someone thanks for question Colin 🙂 

Edited by Sassy
  • Laugh 1

20 hours ago, Badboi(OD) said:

Interesting question v3n0m. I am actually of a differing opinion and that's what's cool about the community is that we add our prospective together and see if we can compromise.

There are 28 ranks in our community, but five ranks (1 unofficial) that I feel are major milestones. I believe the other incremental ranks are for "all the feelz", but what's funny is that people get the most butthurt about others climbing up these incremental ranks quickly. If someone goes from WO1 to WO5 in a month and a half, many members are all up in arms. However, what happens if after that they sat at WO5 for 1,156 days. To me, the major ranks are Enlisted+, Division Lead, Officer, General, and Commander. Everything in-between are "power ups". So in my world, worrying about how fast an enlisted goes up the incremental ranks is making mountains out of molehills. 

Couldn't agree more with your assessment. However what you see as a milestone and what others see as a milestone can be totally different. As you said someone could sit at one rank for an eternity which very well could be their milestone. I wouldn't I am butthurt at all nor demanding this is what happens, was just a suggestion :).

Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.

just leaving this here BTW your all welcome I just did your job

Actually now I wanna know you all go from a dig or a  roll ?

I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, good sir.

2 hours ago, TypeReaL(OD) said:

Actually now I wanna know you all go from a dig or a  roll ?

We roll out the dig 😉 

Posted (edited)

To All The Powers That Be (generals of all stars and Commanders please though active senior officers that wish to share are welcome.):

I have  wondered the following question (actually linked with a common theme.) because of the recent bruhaha and the past bruhaha (yes I like this word):

What is your greatest error or mistake concerning OD ? (just OD, real life is irrelevant in this case and if you have made no errors I congratulate you on perfection and your intellect, I wish I had your judgement.)

How long did it take you to realize you made an error?

Did this error harm the clan ? If so, how ?

What was your reasoning for the error (everyone believes that what they did was right at the time.)?

After you realized this error, how long until you corrected it (how was this done if complex) , if possible (some things cannot be repaired. ) and if you did not correct it why not?

I realize no one likes to admit to errors so I expect scant responses and a possible deletion but I have been wrong and surprised before. (Not all surprises are pleasant, betrayal is a great surprise to the betrayed for example.) Confession is good karma, but for those that do not believe I know that honesty increases respect while deceit is contemptible.

Be aware what you share is here forever (unless Ms Terra deletes it, a chat board is NOT a free speech area) so be aware some things should remain asleep. If you do not want to say anything, just say that, better to say nothing then pretend you did not read this and ignored it. I ask these questions due to a appearance of imperiousness and non communication by the powers that be. (I see this, others may have other opinions as I do not know every power and wish to understand all.. Others may have other opinions on the approachability, veracity and judgement of the powers and that is their right. THESE ARE SERIOUS QUESTIONS, do not think I ask them  to be a gadfly.) 

Who dares to be honest and speak? Honesty is one of the hardest virtues in the world.

Interested and eager for a serious response.

GD

Edited by GhostDog(OD)
clarity, grammar, spelling, punctuation <All OCD I know)

I've made severe mistakes in Clans I was in before OD, in the distant past, but I learned from those mistakes well enough that by the time I came to OD I was experienced enough and careful enough that I haven't done anything that I would imagine as being a profound mistake. A dozen minor mistakes over the years, for sure, but nothing truly scandalous. And I'm pretty confident that I'm meticulous enough, and my judgement is sharp enough, that I wouldn't commit such grave errors anytime in the future either.

As for the mistakes I made long ago, I don't mind sharing them with people who come and ask me, but I don't really want to post them all on a public board.

Though there was that one time when I was a Commander in Clan IA where I got so drunk I colored all the forum boards pink and banned the Clan leader.... Guess that was pretty scandalous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terra said:

I've made severe mistakes in Clans I was in before OD, in the distant past, but I learned from those mistakes well enough that by the time I came to OD I was experienced enough and careful enough that I haven't done anything that I would imagine as being a profound mistake. A dozen minor mistakes over the years, for sure, but nothing truly scandalous. And I'm pretty confident that I'm meticulous enough, and my judgement is sharp enough, that I wouldn't commit such grave errors anytime in the future either.

As for the mistakes I made long ago, I don't mind sharing them with people who come and ask me, but I don't really want to post them all on a public board.

Though there was that one time when I was a Commander in Clan IA where I got so drunk I colored all the forum boards pink and banned the Clan leader.... Guess that was pretty scandalous.

Ms Terra:

I understand wanting to keep it secret. The courtesy of the reply was enough. I did not ask to embarrass  or shame anyone (how rude that would be.) DO NOT PM the error, if it got out I would be blamed even if innocent , I want people honestly to confess an error they have made, we learn more from errors of character then from success, we see the true face of a person when things do not go well. Thank you for your polite reply. (Also people when drunk are usually forgiven much in my culture. I wonder how many will read this and ignore the post, at least it will quiet things down, an unintended benefit perhaps ? )

Be Well

GD

PS I also understand the fear of people using an error against you, in OD there is NOTHING I am sorry for even when an insincere apology is demanded (very Asian that, I approve, shame is a powerful motivator).

13 hours ago, Terra said:

I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, good sir.

street racing hahah, would you go from a Dig (dead stop and have to launch) or be lame and roll into the race

11 hours ago, GhostDog(OD) said:

What is your greatest error or mistake concerning OD ? (just OD, real life is irrelevant in this case and if you have made no errors I congratulate you on perfection and your intellect, I wish I had your judgement.)

I would have to say that my single, greatest error I've made in OD, happened about 2 years ago, where I acted on impulse in a drunken frustration (about 3/4 liter of scotch in me), "lashing out" on my General / Commander peers.

How long did it take you to realize you made an error?

About 8 hours, when I woke up the next morning. After reading what I ended up posting the night before, I immediately realized the error in judgement, and PM'd all the commanders, expressing my apologies, and readiness to face the consequences of my actions.

12 hours ago, GhostDog(OD) said:

Did this error harm the clan ? If so, how ?

Luckily, this happened in the General's forums, and did not affect the rest of the community. It only hurt myself, in how my peers viewed me.

12 hours ago, GhostDog(OD) said:

What was your reasoning for the error (everyone believes that what they did was right at the time.)?

Like I mentioned in my answer to the first question, my reasoning for making the post was out of frustration and drunkenness. 

After you realized this error, how long until you corrected it (how was this done if complex) , if possible (some things cannot be repaired. ) and if you did not correct it why not?

This action was brought up in my July eval of 2017 (link HERE), and have learned my lesson well. Since that incident, and still to this day, I continue to refrain from making any posts or using my console once I've started drinking, and will instead defer to my peers.

I have run into such situations quite a few times since that incident. But instead of taking action, I reached out to one of a select few administrators I trust to make the right call, to take the appropriate action(s) if necessary, waiting until the next day (while I'm of a clear mind) before doing anything myself.  Alcohol is never any excuse for why you did something wrong. I had to learn that one the hard way... I would like to specifically point out an excerpt from my above linked eval, where the mistake I made was discussed:

Spoiler
On 7/7/2017 at 6:50 PM, CompFreak(OD) said:

1. Do not do anything "administrative" or make a judgement call on anything when inebriated (Inebriation can include anything from alcohol, drugs, etc. to anger, stress, outside influence, etc.). As tempting as it is, I've learned that it is FAR better to hold off and sleep on it, before acting. Not only will you be able to articulate what you want to say more clearly, but you will be less likely to say something you may regret in the future, and the more likely you will be able to see another's point of view, the more time you've had to think about it or "clear your head" first.

2. Always attack the issue at hand instead of reacting to, or "attacking" others around you. This, even though I've actually stated it in others' evaluations in the past, it seems, has been a lesson that i've had to learn myself recently. It just goes to show that even when you know something is wrong to do or say, when debating a topic, it is far too easy to succumb to the temptations (especially when not of a clear mind) of attacking those around you rather than the issue at hand. Issues are never solved by attacking others, this only creates more issues. But attacking the problem at hand collaboratively, will almost always result in a favorable solution. For example, you are in class and you have a test in front of you. Attacking the teacher for giving the test will get you kicked out of class and waste others' time they have to complete it, but will result in you getting a 0% on the test, and potentially having further consequences such as detention, calling parents, etc. Your other (and better) option is to just attack the test as best you can, and try to learn from it, taking any extra-credit work you can do to improve your grade and understanding of the material. 

3. When you do make mistakes (and they will happen), whether it be in an online community or in life itself, it is important to take responsibility for your actions. Be it a regrettable post in a forum or something you do in real life, everything you do affects somebody or something else, and can have a ripple effect. Taking ownership of your actions can not only "clear your conscience", but will also help to show others around you how regretful you are of your actions, and is above all, the first step in learning from them.

The best piece of advice anyone can give: Mistakes can, and usually will happen, both in life and in OD. How well we learn from our mistakes can play a large role in starting to make up for them. Take responsibility for them, learn from them, and continue moving forward. 

Mr CompFreak:

You have attained wisdom at a cheap price, never act out of anger or any outside stimulant, grief (death of loved ones, etc.). I wish all members of the "Powers" had obtained your insight, wise  insight is a gift. Congratulations on learning this lesson in a game forum, think how destructive this error could be in real life (like with a client, etc.). Acting out of temporary angst can make life long adversaries that will wait for the right moment. If you did not apologize (sincere or not is irrelevant), silence did not mean acceptance. Good for you repairing it immediately , I am so glad the explanation was accepted instead of being ignored out of arrogance or surety of correctness. . It is not awful to recognize this.

I approve of "clearing your conscience" (this might also be called karma) but when dealing with some it just invites being walked over. Never submit in your inner being, patience always brings opportunities

Regards

GD

PS Would still love to see some phone pictures as the house is built in the woods, post them in one of the non game forums, seriously interested in such things here. If not, that's OK, I love "rustic crafts" and everything outdoors (keep an apple tree on the property, deer love them).

32 minutes ago, GhostDog(OD) said:

PS Would still love to see some phone pictures as the house is built in the woods, post them in one of the non game forums, seriously interested in such things here. If not, that's OK, I love "rustic crafts" and everything outdoors (keep an apple tree on the property, deer love them).

Check your PM inbox here on the forums... This is not the place for them. 😉

Hi, I'm new to OD. I have but one question; what can I expect from being in this clan?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Check your PM inbox here on the forums... This is not the place for them. 😉

Mr CompFreak:

Got them, Nice work. Beautiful lake, I am envious.

Many Thanks

GD

PS Terra you could delete this post and the reply and request for the pics for clarities sake if you like  for space's sake.

Edited by GhostDog(OD)

1 hour ago, Nitro(OD) said:

Hi, I'm new to OD. I have but one question; what can I expect from being in this clan?

Welcome Nitro! Our community is one that has withstood the test of time since 2001. We do our best to provide a fun, game filled place for our members, where lasting bonds of friendship can be formed, no matter the game you play. If you need help, be it in game or otherwise, feel free to reach out to the community, and chances are many people will offer their assistance. I, for one, pride myself on being able to help members using my computer engineering background to diagnose / troubleshoot their computer issues, my accounting background to answer U.S. Based tax questions, and life experiences to offer advice where applicable. Will there be episodes of "drama" on occasion? Sure, but what community as large as ours doesn't have at least some? There will always be someone that doesn't get along with someone else, and the like, but we try our best to investigate and mitigate issues that arise, with an open-mind and as unbiased as possible. If you happen to play a game that we don't currently have a division for, we welcome you find others that also enjoy the game, start a squad, and if you garner enough members willing to switch their "main game" to it, you could become the next division leader! I highly suggest you dig around our forums and fully utilize all the wonderful information we have to offer! Thank you for your interest in this thread, and again, welcome to the community!

• Love 1

Thanks, Mr. CompFreak! I look forward to my time here ^_^

• Like 1