Admin Meeting Oct 25th, 6pm cst ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dreg(OD)

Basic Low Level Duel Builds

I figured I'd try to generate some interest in LLD by sharing some basic level 30 build advice.

Keep in mind that these builds are good but they're not super-high-end. There are no prepatch items, expensive jewels or charms, or tier-1 amulets & rings mentioned etc. If you decide to LLD on NL, you'll struggle to duel against those high-end items for sure. But aren't all dueling meta's like that? These are effective builds that will work against most other level 30's, while the super-high-end duelers will be outliers on Ladder and common on NL.

Charms General
In LLD, there aren't skillers. So what you end up going for in charms isn't based on class or build, but usually determined by whether or not it's melee or caster.

Melee Charms
The best charms for melee characters are Max/ar/life charms. If I remember correctly (As I never owned the highest), the maximum for small charms is 3/20/15 and for grand charms is 10/70/20. Going the 10 GC route, you'll do about 15% more damage, but have about 30% less life. Needless to say, the more popular but far more expensive SC route will have you far more life at the cost of a little damage.

I did once have an East LLD barb by the name of Supafly. The idea was to use EoP, Sanders Boots, and have all 10max/50-70ar/7% FRW GC's and same concept for SC's. He was a Frenzy/Whirlwind Hybrid and his desynch was unbelievable. His top speed when Frenzy was fully charged could outrun a hammerdins 125% FCR Teleport. But unless you're going for something wacky like that, stick to life instead of FRW.

Caster Charms
Casters simply just use Life/Mana charms. The only non-hammerdin caster I've made was a necromancer and he used all Large Charms that had life and mana. I, unfortunately, don't remember how much, as I went on hiatus from D2 soon-after I finished him, then came back to him expired and name taken (The name was "Gross"). (He's featured in the video I'm going to share at the end of this guide).

15lscs
This is the easy budget option for casters and especially hammerdins. My west hammerdin uses 40x 15lscs and I've done just fine with him. More mana helps, but ultimately, it doesn't often mean the dfference between winning and losing.

Hammerdin
Weapon: 33-35% FCR Spirit Sword (It HAS to be 33+, or you wont reach 125%)
Off-Hand: 33-35% FCR/45-res-base Spirit Akaran Targe (It HAS to be 33+, or you wont reach 125%) This is the hardest item on this build to acquire.
Armor: Vipermagi (Skills/FCR/Res)
Helm: Peasant Crown + Pskull (Skills/life/mana/life rep/mana regen)
Gloves: Magefist (FCR + Mana regen)
Belt: String of Ears (15% Damage Reduce)  or Lenymo (Mana/lots of mana regen/5% all res)
Boots: Sanders Boots (40% FRW, Dex, Str)
Amulet: Eye of Etlich for budget or a 2 Paladin Combat /+1 paladin skills with any combination of FCR/ife/str/mana/res
Ring 1: SoJ
Ring 2: SoJ if your amulet has FCR- an FCR ring with any combination of life/str/mana/res if it doesn't.

Second Weapon: Insight for mana regen. Rune Staff works best, as it has low requirements, but high damage, so you can charge with Concentration on. This is a good way to finish an opponent with a sliver of life left.

This character will do about 1,500 hammer damage and have about 1,000 - 1,200 life if you use all 15lscs.

WW Barb
Weapon: Honor Naga
Off-Hand: Robo Naga (15%ed-base 6-soc Naga with [Shael][Shael] + X4[20%ed/15max Jewel]) This ends up being a 147 damage Naga with 40%ias.
Armor: Peace Mageplate (That +2 Critical Strike grants the barb a level 2 Zon skill that gives +25% chance to deal double damage)
Helm: Peasant Crown + PRuby (Skills/life/mana/life rep)
Gloves: Immortal Kings Gloves (Str/Dex)
Belt: String of Ears (15% Damage Reduce)
Boots: Sanders Boots (40% FRW, Dex, Str, AR)
Amulet: Angelic Wings
Ring 1: Angelic Halo
Ring 2: Angelic Halo / SoJ

Second Weapon: None required

This character will do about 1,000 whirlwind damage and have about 1,600-1800 life if you use all 3/xx/15 scs.

Bone Nec
Weapon: 33-35% FCR Spirit Sword 
Off-Hand: Rhyme Trophy with +2-3 Bone Spear or Spirit (Most prefer Spear) (There are some crazy good rare trophys out there, but those are crazy expensive)
Armor: Vipermagi (Skills/FCR/Res)
Helm: Peasant Crown + Pskull (Skills/life/mana/life rep/mana regen)
Gloves: Magefist (FCR + Mana regen)
Belt: String of Ears (15% Damage Reduce)  or Lenymo (Mana/lots of mana regen/5% all res)
Boots: Sanders Boots (40% FRW, Dex, Str)
Amulet: Eye of Etlich for budget or a 2 PnB /+1 necromancer skills with any combination of FCR/ife/str/mana/res
Ring 1: SoJ
Ring 2: SoJ

It isn't possible to hit 125% FCR without using Wall of the Eyeless and that is not recommended at all.
Second Weapon: None required, but Insight helps

This character will do about 1,000 Spear/Spirit damage and have about 700 - 900 life if you use all 15lscs.

Edited by Dreg(OD)
  • Like 1

Nice info for these ironman contests too!

On 8/26/2018 at 12:39 AM, Purplez(OD) said:

Nice info for these ironman contests too!

how is this relevant for ironman contests? these are all level 18-30 req items?

My apologies Slum.  In error I saw only the LL - low level part and thought of the ironman.  You are totally right, your builds have nothing to do with ironman.