OD and Charity Events

So I've seen several posts about the forums regarding the direction OD is / may be heading in - some referring to the past of OD, with some good and some bad points.  If OD's goal is to improve it's image but avoid becoming a corporate entity [which is exactly what it will need to be when you start talking about money for tax purposes] - Why not just openly support charity events?

I'm a small scale streamer, amateur game caster and observer and I participate in or run charity events during my streams during other events I participate in - So if I can do it, so can all of you.

Why Should We?

There are a lot of great reasons to support a charity event for a weekend, a week, or however long it would last for!  You get that fuzzy warm feeling inside for one [credit for this reason goes to my daughter], you're helping out countless people who are struggling and / or suffering from any number of problems that face the world at large today.  Setting it up is incredibly easy, and putting OD's face behind it would paint the clan / community as a whole in a much brighter light.  

Believe it or not - this actually DOES draw attention, and lots of it.  People see you supporting charities, and they say something to their friends, co-workers, or even others who themselves are struggling in one way or another -- Those people in turn tell others and that spread of awareness will in turn bring more attention to us - to OUR community.  This will draw in not just more people, but quality people - good people that actually are looking for a home - a family to game with.  That is what a community is to me - a family.

Some people feel that OD has strayed from that path - and while that is not the point of this thread - I feel this is a reasonable step that could help bridge the gap of this opinion between the members that feel this way to those who feel this isn't true.

Where Could We Start?

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.  Even the issue of handling the money is something we can easily avoid.  I highly recommend looking over at https://www.tiltify.com  --  It's incredibly user friendly, can integrate into your streamlabs, and is a website both myself and the other #LWAC streamers have used for those events to great success!  

To summarize, I feel that openly supporting Charity events both large and small would greatly improve OD's public image from without, and help resolve some of the conflicts within.  It's a small step - but one we could easily take together, as a family - and move forward.

• Upvote 2

So when you talk about "supporting a charity" you are thinking of events or feats in gaming like that 24-hour CoD marathon for raising money and awareness for a cause, is that what you had in mind? As one who is familiar with charity events, what would you suggest as an example of something we could do to support a charity, and what would be involved in doing it?

1 hour ago, Terra said:

So when you talk about "supporting a charity" you are thinking of events or feats in gaming like that 24-hour CoD marathon for raising money and awareness for a cause, is that what you had in mind? As one who is familiar with charity events, what would you suggest as an example of something we could do to support a charity, and what would be involved in doing it?

The easiest way to break it down would be to have people look at this:

This will show you how to set up a campaign on Tiltify

Yes that is exactly what I had in mind Terra, at least to start.  In the future it could be discussed by OD Leadership if they want to explore other ways of running charities - but doing so like this makes it Free of cost finacially speaking - it would only cost your time.  Why not turn one of the many events a Division runs into a charity event to stream?  

A prime example of what we could run is a Diablo 2 Race, Duel Event, etc - or Even a multiday event for an in-house tournament for the other games - as each has its own variety of possible events to organize.  Such as a Race on Path of Exile to the last boss [Kitava], or some fun 1v1 or team games on Starcraft.  Hyping this up through awareness would greatly attract attention to that division helping them recruit, and help OD Recruit as a whole as well.  We are really limited only by imagination.

For example - during Level With A Cause, a bunch of us streamers get together and make new characters on the Diablo 3 Reset - As simple as this sounds, we raised over $9.3 thousand dollars this last time - and we did so by utilizing Tiltify as our "base" if you will.

As for going about setting up a charity - the link above breaks down the entire process for how to do so on Tiltify.  It's completely free, and we don't touch the money at all - it goes to them and straight to the charity.  This should alleviate any concerns of us having to pass the money along.  It's very straight forward to set up, and there are tons of different charities to choose from world wide.

"Hearts and Minds" is the key phrase with things like this.  We're reaching out to the gaming community as a whole, and even those who don't game much at all by doing things like this.  It increases the awareness of OverDosed Gaming on a global scale that is incredibly easy to advertise, as well as making OD look good to boot.

I am more than happy to go further into detail if you would like @Terra , as I am incredibly passionate about participating in Charities whenever I am able to.  So by all means let me know if you would like or need more information regarding this.

I'll support and take part hell yeah brother, I can do a knife only party on CoD ww2 all day or get as many v-2 rockets , or I can rainbow goblin hunt hell theres so much we can do

Edited by TypeReaL(OD)

It's hard to imagine people would send in donations over some of our relatively simple events, but if it doesn't cost OD anything financially then we can see about giving it a try. Let's start small though, we'll see about preparing a single special event for the purpose of the charity drive.

@Sassy @PoPs(OD) @DBZ(OD) the D2 Division would be the ideal testing ground for trying this out. I'll look at this guide Sarnith provided and work with him to see what is involved, and if it looks feasible would you be willing to work with me to try and feature a D2 event?

The only way D2 would draw enough attention for a charitable sized event would be if we hyped it up as old school competitions.. PvP of course, but hell even andy races or hell races. would be cool.

Max damage competitions for whoever can get up the best dmg per character class. (with screenshots of course, and no this is not easy to do as it is VERY Expensive for the D2 player)

and possibly many more. I like this idea, and if we can capture it all on a streaming service like twitch or mixer or even just fraps to throw on youtube. That would help re-brand OD in a positive image.

This is a great start, and is exactly what I meant by everyone putting their heads together to help create a new direction for OD.

Edited by Links(OD)

I will be presenting my idea in full at the Admin meeting on the 25th.  I am currently already drawing things up and will have a fully fleshed out idea to present.

Look forward to seeing you there

I think this is a great idea @Sarnith! It'd be awesome to be able to bless other people in need by gaming like we all already do anyways. :happy:

-Raged(OD)😁

Charity streaming and events is something I am very passionate about.  It is something I take great pride in and take a lot of pleasure bringing to the OD community.  This event, bringing us closer together as a community and bringing us closer to the gaming playerbase as a whole, will be the first of many that I plan on undertaking.  

If anyone is interested in streaming for a charity event let me know.  I am compiling a list of our available streamers in the community for such events.

Feel free to post these as replies in this thread.

Please Include:

Your Twitch, YouTube live, or binx.tv channel

Your general availability [I understand this fluctuates for some]

What games you stream, or would be interested in streaming 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Terra said:

It's hard to imagine people would send in donations over some of our relatively simple events, but if it doesn't cost OD anything financially then we can see about giving it a try. Let's start small though, we'll see about preparing a single special event for the purpose of the charity drive.

@Sassy @PoPs(OD) @DBZ(OD) the D2 Division would be the ideal testing ground for trying this out. I'll look at this guide Sarnith provided and work with him to see what is involved, and if it looks feasible would you be willing to work with me to try and feature a D2 event?

I'm all for helping with what ever needs help with what a great idea im pretty sure @DBZ(OD) can sort events out on pvp side of things plus we got plenty guy's  that can stream and get the event out there .... but i'm all for helping with what ever i can :) 

Awesome idea!  It would be great to do something for the children involved in the latest shooting if possible.  I would love to help, just let me know what you need.