The benefits that becoming a Division provides (channel sections, forum boards, community recognition and distinguishment) are as useful to casual gamers and groups as they are to competitive, they rely on it to organize and develop their gaming communities. It would only hurt OD to take these away from them.

I never said it would be easy. Making any Squad into a successful Division is hard in its own right, and understandably making a successful competitive Division would be that much harder. I said this is what is required. And it is, it needs to start with someone who wants to go that distance, a person who gets the ball rolling. The other leaders, the sponsors, everything else comes into play as it develops, but until there is someone with the desire to take the steps necessary to create that kind of competitive foundation, it will never get to a point for the rest of it.

Divisions are given a lot of freedom to govern themselves. The policies we decide on as being universal, that apply to all Divisions, are those of respect and tolerance. If you are asking whether an Officer of another Division can stop someone from your Division from abusing another OD member then the answer is yes, they trump someone from another game. But if it is about how to run your Division, your recruitment standards, your Division expectations, then no, an Officer from another Division isn't going to interfere. It is each Division's right to run themselves how they like, as long as they don't break the rules of civility that OD values. Unless you feel a competitive Division needs to allow disrespect for some reason then there isn't any reason the ranks and values of the Clan overall should interfere with how a competitive Division is run.

We have more members now than any other time in OD history.  At the very least this seems to suggest that there are many people who enjoy what OD has to offer so far.

I don't think professional level is out of reach, in fact I fully believe OD will host professional-level teams again someday. But I don't think we need to overhaul the entire clan to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's cut to the chase, this is getting a bit long-winded.

You saw all these awesome professional teams supported by OD in the past and you believe that to be the pinnacle of greatness. And now that we don't have any you think we've strayed from the path of greatness into some laid-back form of complacency. But if your aim is to push for some changes then I would suggest that the best way to help everyone realize their mistake is not to come onto the forum and disparage everything about OD and the people you want to try and convince. You've criticized our Administration, our Divisions of the Clan, the website, me personally, told everyone how much worse OD is nowadays than before and claimed that we need to make the changes you say to "make Overdosed great again!"

If you are here to talk about ways the Clan can be improved, things you'd like to see, changes you feel would be beneficial, then I'm all for the discussion. But let's keep the topic to the point then and save the venting or unflattering remarks about the website, community meetings, and individual people for another time.

I'm sure there are many that feel similarly as you do about competitive gaming, and perhaps even believe it represented the best of what OD was. But there are also many that don't. What you value in gaming and for gaming Divisions are just one of many. I don't know when and where you came across this belief that Squads and Divisions are supposed to be strictly for competitive, but they are not. OD supports both styles of gaming, Squads and Divisions are for both, channels are for both, all the services we provide for gamers are there to help them develop the games and groups that they envision. The Divisions that are casual will attract casual players and lose out on competitive. The Divisions that are competitive will attract competitive players and lose out on casual. That's just how it works.

When the SC2 Division became professionally competitive (and Snipedragon already covered this in detail so I'll try to keep this brief so as not to be redundant) they formed standards for their Division when recruiting people and held their Division members to expectations, their Division Leaders did their best to look into potential sponsors to fund their top players and they strove to see just how far they could go. This was how they decided to run their Division. But they didn't require all other Divisions to be run the same way in order to do that, neither did they require the Clan to change its policies or the level of support it provided for competitive gaming in order to achieve it. As things stand right now there is nothing that would prevent a new SC2 Division from doing exactly the same thing, there just hasn't been anyone interested in taking on the great deal of effort and responsibility required to make it happen.

So, if you are saying that Squads and Divisions should be made only for competitive players, then the answer is no. If you are saying the Clan as a whole should adopt competitive gaming as the core value of the community, then the answer is no. If you are expecting me to jump on your ideas and put in all the work forming competitive teams, leaders, and sponsors to fulfill what you think this Clan needs, then the answer is definitely no. But I'll do my best to support you if you decide to do it.

You have opened up this topic with statements like "I miss the days when OD TRIED". This is something you want to see happen, so perhaps you should be the first one to try.

Then again if this whole thing is just about the Gamer's Lounge then all you really need to do is send me a PM, the Gamer's Lounge is a bit of a unique case, and I don't want to bring up a discussion of it publicly.. again.. but I'll be happy to share the story behind it with you in private.

• Upvote 1

I skimmed through this topic for a few mins now. If you want to see a more competitive OD then you should start with your self and put together a team in something. Ive had this discussion before but OD is majority casual  and only a handful of us actually focus on being the best in a game.  Having professional teams also isnt cheap so unless we win the lottery and can entice better players to join i suggest you start recruiting some people with skill as i have a hard enough time finding people as good as me in game as it is.

14 hours ago, Links(OD) said:

but let's not take away from the fact that there is NO competitive platform

I believe @SnipeDragon(OD) said it best here:

8 hours ago, SnipeDragon(OD) said:

Squads and Divisions are ways to show both that a member plays the game and that the community is supporting the game.  You can make an Elite Team, get Elite Team channels and set policy for that Elite Team that is as strict as you want it to be.  You can then grow that elite team to any size you want, so long as everyone is held to the same policy for joining.  Then, if that elite team becomes the majority of the division, then are you not a Competitive focused division?  You would still have casual players, but the people who want to be truly competitive would be striving for a spot on the Elite Team for their game.

So far, The only addressable gripe that I've heard from @Links(OD) is regarding the competitive aspect of OD, which is addressed by our "Elite Squads" section on our website (thank you @SnipeDragon(OD), I couldn't have said it any better).  Of course there are things that we can do to try and raise funds, but certain things must be addressed from a legal and tax standpoint in order for some things to happen.

For example, I, as a professional accountant, tax preparer, and business owner, can attest that something as simple as selling merchandise can have certain sales taxes that OD would be responsible for, either locally or internationally. As OD is not currently a legal entity to begin with, the tax liabilities would fall on leadership, specifically our "Commanders", and I for one, would not expect others would want to be served a "summons" to court because they were a "leader" of a gaming community that sold a product without collecting nor paying the applicable taxes, and be personally liable to pay any fines / penalties associated with it. Given, such an example may take it to a bit of an extreme, it is still a potential possibility especially if, as a result, we were to gain "sponsorship" and national/international attention.

If you feel so strongly about building up a more competitive side to our community, may I ask if we currently have a game / division that you are interested in putting the time/effort in building an "Elite Squad" from? If not, would you be interested in starting one?

It is one thing to voice an opinion, but as others have alluded to, it is a far easier argument to win, if you offer solutions rather than just pointing out where others may be lacking.

• Like 2

After reviewing everyone's posts and replies, I would like to take this time in thanking you all for your time and consideration on this topic. 

Let's be clear here, a competitive platform, isn't the ability to just get players together in order to play well, its also the ability to send those players off on even greater competitive endeavors. The entire proposal of this is the idea to give OD the ability to propel it's gamers even further than they can get on their own. This would require OD to move forward in the idea to become a monetized structure. Now, because of all of you and with the appearance and support of some key individuals, we can progress forward with a potential business plan, in which I will attempt to work on. In the coming months I'll hopefully be able to have conjured up something presentable to those that would be interested, and we can go from there.

Again, thank you for everyone that has taken the time to make your opinion heard on this matter.

If you think you would enjoy taking part in the potential next phase, PLEASE PM me. either on the forums here or via the website. Also I am available on Teamspeak and Discord, (most of the time)

Edited by Links(OD)
  • 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie I skimmed through everything after the original post.

OD did have one of the best teams assembled on SC2, and I'm not sure if it was out of spite or whatever, in the end OD single handedly buried the SC2 division when it was at its peak.

At one point ODSC2 division was ranked number 1 in the USA and top 10 in the world. We played teams that had guys who were pros since the release, and did relatively well. When sponsorship was brought forward to OD they refused to partner up. R.ag would be the one to talk to about what went on behind closed doors, and for what it's worth, OD would not be where it is currently sitting. Good or bad, that's something that we will never know. Regardless OD had a legitmate shot of being a power house in pro gaming.

Fear of the unknown, that's what it comes down to. If the balls rolling in any division as far as pro circuit is concerned, we should support that division 100%

Also want to add, that I know being on an elite competitive team, isn't in everyone's best interest.

OD had made themselves a household name based off the atmosphere it has. There are plenty of divisions, and I will sound off on my own horn here so bare with me, it does take a ton of dedication. 

When I ran the sc2 division we had a mutual agreement with the members we would do what's best for that division. We agreed on setting a standard for recruition. You had to be a certain skill level to join. That didn't pertain to existing members, just new ones. 

I went onto all the pro circuit forums, recruited guys who wrote strategy guides, and evolved from there. As our group grew internally, we slowly raised the requirement. I can honestly say, we grew outside even my own level of gaming which was tough for myself, but it also helped me build myself into a manager for our team. I began hosting clan wars and tournaments for the division, and again, as a result, we brought even more people in.

We hosted collectively tournaments with small $ prizes to bring in more people. Again, the division grew to a point that I felt we had enough natural leaders in the division, that I could step away.

There are a lot of steps to gaining ground for a top tier competitive team. If you want that in a division, look no further then the mirror, because it starts with YOU. If you want to push SCBW which I'm assuming is your intention, you will have my support. I will bring the right people to get the ball rolling, but I'm at a stage in my life where I cannot fully devote my spare time to gaming. I will however be a resource to getting things going.

Delete the last bit... ' does not work from cellphone on this forum...automatically tries sending the message 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in because I feel I can offer a little to the conversation. I was in OD for a little less than 2 years (2002-2004) when Howard (RIP, just found out about him on the forums when I tried to look him up) was mostly running the show and BigBaller was super active climbing ranks. The community back then naturally had both a competitive and casual side. In my opinion, clans needs both. I joined the Army and quit gaming. I bought SC2 in 2013 when I was in Korea and tried to join OD again. Of course no one remembered me and I wasn’t recruited because I was only silver league just trying to learn the new game. I was bummed but whatever, I sucked. I’m just now trying to get back in the clan (@R.agnarok(OD) refuses to approve my trial membership?) and I’ve been lurking around the SC2 channel with no one there for over a week, minus the chat with @SuNSeT about SCBW. 

What im trying to say is something went wrong from 2013 to now. A whole bunch of competitive and casual players still playing SC2 and I have yet to see an OD moniker in the clan chat. @Links(OD), I agree with you man, I just decided to come back to OD because I wanted to play a little more seriously, I don’t think I am elite material, but I want to practice and also have the casual gaming community that I remember.

My knowlegde of the clan only goes as far as SC. Idk, I don’t even have a vote.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeBean said:

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in because I feel I can offer a little to the conversation. I was in OD for a little less than 2 years (2002-2004) when Howard (RIP, just found out about him on the forums when I tried to look him up) was mostly running the show and BigBaller was super active climbing ranks. The community back then naturally had both a competitive and casual side. In my opinion, clans needs both. I joined the Army and quit gaming. I bought SC2 in 2013 when I was in Korea and tried to join OD again. Of course no one remembered me and I wasn’t recruited because I was only silver league just trying to learn the new game. I was bummed but whatever, I sucked. I’m just now trying to get back in the clan (@R.agnarok(OD) refuses to approve my trial membership?) and I’ve been lurking around the SC2 channel with no one there for over a week, minus the chat with @SuNSeT about SCBW. 

What im trying to say is something went wrong from 2013 to now. A whole bunch of competitive and casual players still playing SC2 and I have yet to see an OD moniker in the clan chat. @Links(OD), I agree with you man, I just decided to come back to OD because I wanted to play a little more seriously, I don’t think I am elite material, but I want to practice and also have the casual gaming community that I remember.

My knowlegde of the clan only goes as far as SC. Idk, I don’t even have a vote.

Thank you you for jumping in.  Have you been in contact with R.agnarok?  Recruiters will deny any application for people they are not in contact with.  If you are joining as part of the community and not under one of our other divisions, feel free to apply again and choose me as your recruiter.  I will sponsor you as far as rejoining goes.  ODSC2 is dead right now however.  If you are interested in starting it back up, I will support you in any way I can.

3 hours ago, Terra said:

R.agnarok hasn't approved a trial membership in nearly 3 years. You may want to take Snipedragon up on his offer.

Lol, can’t blame a man for trying! That’s too bad, heavy is the head that wears the crown

4 hours ago, CoffeeBean said:

I was in OD for a little less than 2 years (2002-2004)

Hello coffeebean...Im PoPs....i have seen you in the channel...even said hello to you there....If you were OD before, and you can recall your OD account name then we can re-enable you....It would be good times again if you wish to bring back a ODSC2 squad.....we will most certain;y support you any way we can....

6 minutes ago, PoPs(OD) said:

Hello coffeebean...Im PoPs....i have seen you in the channel...even said hello to you there....If you were OD before, and you can recall your OD account name then we can re-enable you....It would be good times again if you wish to bring back a ODSC2 squad.....we will most certain;y support you any way we can....

Hey man, nice name! My old account was NFinit(OD), it’d be cool to reenable it, but if I could change the name to CoffeeBean, that’d be cool!

I tried sc2 again and I'm not a fan of the changes they've made since wings of liberty....its like they removed the early portion of the game it seems...or at least tried to.

If you wanna jam SCBW I can hop on right now haha

On 3/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, SuNSeT said:

I tried sc2 again and I'm not a fan of the changes they've made since wings of liberty....its like they removed the early portion of the game it seems...or at least tried to.

If you wanna jam SCBW I can hop on right now haha

They absolutely removed the early portion of the game.. The game is still fun, but i feel a lot of the strategy and tactics involved early game determined much of how well a player would affect the outcome of a match.

While I do enjoy SCBW, it tends to get old pretty quick being such an old game and all. I wish they had the same balances they had in that game and just gave it a graphical update to SC2's engine. Then it would at least be a bit more visually appealing. The 2D from SCBW tends to hurt my eyes these days.