Sign in to follow this  
TieDyeT(OD)

New Comp

I'm not so computer part savy so this is my stab at posting comp build. I'm basically reading boxes.

Case: Thermaltake, VL8000 Series, V3 Black (looks cool. Can see inside a bit, Blue light Fan.)

MotherBoard: MSI Gaming Series 970 (idk waht specs on this box important since it looks more like compatible parts)

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce GTX 1050ti gpu; 4GB GDDR5 memory

Processor: AMD FX 8350; 8-core 4.2 GHz; w/ wraith cooler

Hard Drive: 1TB

Lmk what I left out and what you think.

Edited by TieDyeT(OD)

13 hours ago, TieDyeT(OD) said:

I'm not so computer part savy so this is my stab at posting comp build. I'm basically reading boxes.

Case: Thermaltake, VL8000 Series, V3 Black (looks cool. Can see inside a bit, Blue light Fan.)

MotherBoard: MSI Gaming Series 970 (idk waht specs on this box important since it looks more like compatible parts)

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce GTX 1050ti gpu; 4GB GDDR5 memory

Processor: AMD FX 8350; 8-core 4.2 GHz; w/ wraith cooler

Hard Drive: 1TB

Lmk what I left out and what you think.

Are you building one or is this a newly purchased one?

1. The case doesn't really matter as long as there is sufficient air flow to keep it cool. The rest is all cosmetic. 

2. The motherboard: If this is one you are building, I would suggest one that supports DDR4 memory and m.2 SSD if you are interested in one of those. If this one was newly purchased already then it should still be a good choice for the majority of what you will do.

3. Graphics card: This part really varies depending on budgets, but this card should be sufficient for most of the games out there. However there will be certain games that will push it to the limit on higher resolutions (mostly new ones) but depending on what you play that may not be an issue (for example diablo 2 lol -- although you will want to use glide on this or it will not work correctly full screen)

4. Processor: I am not that good with AMD, but a quick search lets me know that it is comparable to a 6th gen i5 which is pretty good as well. The only thing you may want to figure out is if the processor / motherboard support overclocking and if you would like to go that route to further increase performance. 

5. Hard Drive: *** I highly recommend replacing this with a solid state drive for the operating system. I would recommend a 500 gb ssd if it is in your budget as newer games may fill up the drive relatively quick (for example I own Doom and it takes about 70-75 gb of space on mine). If this is not in the budget, you can go with a 240 gb ssd and then use the 1 tb hard drive for storage -- or even change the location of your profile to store it there and then just run the OS and games off of the SSD. 

6. Memory: You did not list this, but I would recommend 16 gb of RAM as it is relatively cheap nowadays. With your current motherboard you would have to go with DDR3, or if this is a new build then you could get a MB that supports DDR4 and choose that instead for better speeds. 

Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know!

1 hour ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

Are you building one or is this a newly purchased one?

My family had my cousin build this for me. He picked the parts and put it together with a set budget.

2. The motherboard: If this is one you are building, I would suggest one that supports DDR4 memory and m.2 SSD if you are interested in one of those. If this one was newly purchased already then it should still be a good choice for the majority of what you will do.

3. Graphics card: This part really varies depending on budgets, but this card should be sufficient for most of the games out there. However there will be certain games that will push it to the limit on higher resolutions (mostly new ones) but depending on what you play that may not be an issue (for example diablo 2 lol -- although you will want to use glide on this or it will not work correctly full screen)

4. Processor: I am not that good with AMD, but a quick search lets me know that it is comparable to a 6th gen i5 which is pretty good as well. The only thing you may want to figure out is if the processor / motherboard support overclocking and if you would like to go that route to further increase performance. 

5. Hard Drive: *** I highly recommend replacing this with a solid state drive for the operating system. I would recommend a 500 gb ssd if it is in your budget as newer games may fill up the drive relatively quick (for example I own Doom and it takes about 70-75 gb of space on mine). If this is not in the budget, you can go with a 240 gb ssd and then use the 1 tb hard drive for storage -- or even change the location of your profile to store it there and then just run the OS and games off of the SSD. 

6. Memory: You did not list this, but I would recommend 16 gb of RAM as it is relatively cheap nowadays. With your current motherboard you would have to go with DDR3, or if this is a new build then you could get a MB that supports DDR4 and choose that instead for better speeds. 

Hope this helps. If you have questions let me know!

3. Whats Glide? D2 did work in full screen (after 1 fail and a compatability prompt) before i edited shortcut for window mode. I do want to be able to play other games like D3, HoTS, or whatever.

4. I know the MB and Processor do support Overclocking, but I dodn't really know what it is or how to use it.

5. I don't understand, why an additional 240gb sd just for OS? The 1 TB HD is barely full from OS.

6. Memory- DDR3 8gb (4gb x2) This little box slipped down. can't add at top but this is what it is.

Thanks for taking a peek MooMoo  :).

Edited by TieDyeT(OD)

I have an AMD 8350 OC'd to 5 ghz on my LAN / Media center PC, and before then, it was my main rig! Good enough chip to game on, no problem, and like MooMoo said, it is comparable to a 6th gen Intel i5. I also have a 1050ti 4gb version in my office pc, and it can do office type applications with dual monitors, no problem, as well as best bang-for-buck 1080p gaming on the market at the moment. try any higher resolutions, and you will notice a significant drop in performance though... The MB and processor will overclock, but keep in mind that AMD CPUs have a max safe temp of 65c, not 95c like intel, and they do like to get hot fast... If you are going to start messing with overclocking, I would highly recommend getting yourself a decent aftermarket air or AIO (all-in-one) closed water loop cpu cooler first (my OC of 5ghz was only able to happen after I built a custom water loop with 1x 240mm rad and 1x 120mm rad) depending on the silicon lottery, you could probably attain 4.5-4.7ghz with air cooling, something like a noctua D-14 or equivalent, with no heat issues*.

*keep in mind that the AMD FX series processors do NOT have an on-chip temp sensor, so any "cpu temp" readings you are getting, are the SOCKET temps from the MB, not CPU CORE temps. Rule of thumb is to add 5-10c to the socket temps in order to be in the right ballpark for your core temps, and remember, 65c max operating temp, after which it is possible to damage the chip. Also, max safe Voltage for AMD FX cpu is 1.5 volts. 

It is a bit more time consuming, but I would suggest before trying to OC the cpu, do some undervolting first (@stock speeds), to determine the lowest possible volts your cpu can effectively operate at, before bumping up clock speeds. This will reduce temps and expand the longevity of your CPU. Make very small, incremental changes, changing 1 thing at a time in the BIOS, run stress test for 15-20 min between each change, then rinse and repeat.

As for the HDD vs. SSD, an SSD's performance is leaps and bounds compared to even HDD's in RAID 0. It is by FAR the most improvement you can make to any system that you will really notice, especially in everything from boot times, to load screens, to transfer speeds. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone using a HDD only. Most HDD's will give you 10-50 mb/s Read/Write speeds, where SSD's will give up to 550 mb/s (out of 600 mb/s SATA port), and the newer NvME m.2 drives will give up to i believe it is currently 3,000 mb/s (please correct me if i'm wrong), and It is becoming the new standard for most systems, even if you get a cheap, low-capacity one just for your OS and 1 or 2 games. You may be able to find a decent one for less than $100, but I would highly recommend a Samsung SSD. I've been using my 256gb 830pro for the last 5 years at work, have a 256gb 840pro on my LAN rig, and am using a samsung 512gb 960pro m.2 drive for my main rig currently. Samsung SSD's are known to be the best performance and best reliability drives on the market currently.

Newegg has a samsung evo 250gb for $106 here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147372

All that said, congrats on the new system! and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us!

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

27 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I have an AMD 8350 OC'd to 5 ghz on my LAN / Media center PC, and before then, it was my main rig! Good enough chip to game on, no problem, and like MooMoo said, it is comparable to a 6th gen Intel i5. I also have a 1050ti 4gb version in my office pc, and it can do office type applications with dual monitors, no problem, as well as best bang-for-buck 1080p gaming on the market at the moment. try any higher resolutions, and you will notice a significant drop in performance though... The MB and processor will overclock, but keep in mind that AMD CPUs have a max safe temp of 65c, not 95c like intel, and they do like to get hot fast... If you are going to start messing with overclocking, I would highly recommend getting yourself a decent aftermarket air or AIO (all-in-one) closed water loop cpu cooler first (my OC of 5ghz was only able to happen after I built a custom water loop with 1x 240mm rad and 1x 120mm rad) depending on the silicon lottery, you could probably attain 4.5-4.7ghz with air cooling, something like a noctua D-14 or equivalent, with no heat issues*.

It's gonna take me couple reads to digest everything you said, lotta terms i'm not so familiar with. This end part here though. Closed water loop cooling after market. The Video Card came with a water cool system. (They call it WindForce 2x) Is that wht you needed to add? or you talkin about another secondary water cool for everything inside or MB.

And thank you for helping me understand this stuff a bit better.

It was a gift from wife and kids to him. It was a surprise and was a budget build computer. Everything in it was chosen by his cousin and Tie, like me, has about a 1% knowledge rating when it comes to Computers. I have no idea how much his family spent but I'd wager probably $500. I know SSD are the best drives out there right now but a traditional HD isn't going to break the build. It can run the games he wants to play(better than my old piece of crap relics that much is certain) and considering the genre he enjoys, I doubt they're going to be any more demanding than what we have right now, at least for the next five years or so.

I don't think he intends to overclock and I wouldn't on a budget build. Anyways, a decent computer for the budget.

2 hours ago, TieDyeT(OD) said:

Closed water loop cooling after market. The Video Card came with a water cool system. (They call it WindForce 2x) Is that wht you needed to add? or you talkin about another secondary water cool for everything inside or MB.

Closed water loop / AIO (all-in-one) = non-expandable, cools only one component (usually associated with CPU cooling), but relatively cheaper.

Custom loop = Expandable, upgradable, can incorporate multiple cooling blocks / components / radiators. Can range in price from $150 to as much as $1000 or higher, depending on components, fittings, pumps, etc.

I was talking about CPU cooling only, i.e. replacing the stock "wraith" cooler with a much more efficient cooling solution. There are options, depending on your components and what you would like to cool with water, everything from your ram, cpu, MB chipset, Video card, etc. , but the noctua NH-D14, despite being about 10 years old, is still among the best air coolers out there (but also one of the biggest air coolers, so be sure to check for any clearance issues before ordering).

I VERY HIGHLY DOUBT that your video card has a water cooling solution, as gigabyte (if it says windforce, it's a gigabyte product) does not offer any 1050ti cards with water blocks. The easiest way to tell if you have any water cooling, is to check inside the case for a radiator of some sort, with some tubing connected to it. What the tubing connects to is the component being cooled by it.

*By the way, a 1050ti would be VERY difficult to even find a compatible water block for, and if you are not familiar with overclocking, would not suggest you get into anything like that anyways.

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

2 hours ago, TrueChill(OD) said:

What'd you spend?

It was a little over $500. I probably could have gone nuts, but I just wanted something decent for modern games so this upgrade will last me some time and can join in the other OD games.

1 hour ago, DarkHelmet said:

It was a gift from wife and kids to him. It was a surprise and was a budget build computer. Everything in it was chosen by his cousin and Tie, like me, has about a 1% knowledge rating when it comes to Computers. I have no idea how much his family spent but I'd wager probably $500. I know SSD are the best drives out there right now but a traditional HD isn't going to break the build. It can run the games he wants to play(better than my old piece of crap relics that much is certain) and considering the genre he enjoys, I doubt they're going to be any more demanding than what we have right now, at least for the next five years or so.

I don't think he intends to overclock and I wouldn't on a budget build. Anyways, a decent computer for the budget.

Awesome guess man, you're right on. It's true I have very little knowledge about this stuff, we totally trusted our cousin since he works for geek squad and is a gamer and all that. The difference between this one and the old is night and day. I thought my browser was crashing when I kept refreshing then realized it just reloaded so quick I didn't notice X).

No, didn't intend to overclock, but I can still learn what it is, how it works, fiddle around. Thanks man.

6 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Closed water loop / AIO (all-in-one) = non-expandable, cools only one component (usually associated with CPU cooling).

Custom loop = Expandable, upgradable, can incorporate multiple cooling blocks / components / radiators.

I was talking about CPU cooling only, i.e. replacing the stock "wraith" cooler with a much more efficient cooling solution. There are options, depending on your components and what you would like to cool with water, everything from your ram, cpu, MB chipset, Video card, etc. , but the noctua NH-D14, despite being about 10 years old, is still among the best air coolers out there (but also one of the biggest air coolers, so be sure to check for any clearance issues before ordering).

Oh ok. Yea i can get my head around that.

6 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I VERY HIGHLY DOUBT that your video card has a water cooling solution, as gigabyte (if it says windforce, it's a gigabyte product) does not offer any 1050ti cards with water blocks. The easiest way to tell if you have any water cooling, is to check inside the case for a radiator of some sort, with some tubing connected to it. What the tubing connects to is the component being cooled by it.

*By the way, a 1050ti would be VERY difficult to even find a compatible water block for, and if you are not familiar with overclocking, would not suggest you get into anything like that anyways.

I can see copper pipe and radiator blades behind the 2x fans. Here's the website for it.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD#kf

23 minutes ago, TieDyeT(OD) said:

I can see copper pipe and radiator blades behind the 2x fans. Here's the website for it.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD#kf

The copper pipes are called "heat pipes" and are used to carry heat away from the source, and spread it out evenly throughout the fins you see, called a "heatsink". Water cooling in today's world incorporates either flexible or hard plastic tubes connected to a separate radiator, similar to a car (although not nearly as big!). Easy way to tell: If the fins are attached to the component directly, it is a heatsink, which is air-cooled. If there are plastic tubes coming out of the component, to a radiator mounted to the case, it is a water loop.

Examples of CPU air coolers:

https://www.newegg.com/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks/SubCategory/ID-574?Tid=8000

Examples of CPU AIO-water coolers:

https://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-Cooling/SubCategory/ID-575?Tid=8008

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

ok gotcha, thanks. Looking at it reminded me of a radiator and assumed there was some fluid in that pipe for better heat exchange.

10 hours ago, TieDyeT(OD) said:

My family had my cousin build this for me. He picked the parts and put it together with a set budget.

3. Whats Glide? D2 did work in full screen (after 1 fail and a compatability prompt) before i edited shortcut for window mode. I do want to be able to play other games like D3, HoTS, or whatever.

4. I know the MB and Processor do support Overclocking, but I dodn't really know what it is or how to use it.

5. I don't understand, why an additional 240gb sd just for OS? The 1 TB HD is barely full from OS.

6. Memory- DDR3 8gb (4gb x2) This little box slipped down. can't add at top but this is what it is.

Thanks for taking a peek MooMoo  :).

Since diablo 2 is a much older game somebody made Glide to basically trick the game into thinking that it is using an older graphics card to be able to run much better in full screen than what you can do normally. It was written specifically for d2. You can see it here and there are a bunch of Q&A on the site if you are wondering

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/whatis.html

Once you use it you just add a command line to the shortcut, just like windowed mode.. but it is -3dfx

https://www.reddit.com/r/slashdiablo/comments/1aer3n/psa_svens_glide_wrapper_d2_beautifier/