Sign in to follow this  
DarkHelmet

Computer sticky idea

I'm not a Computer expert so what I'm about to suggest should be taken up by a more knowledgeable OD member when it comes to Computers and their components but this Forum lacks a Computer Manual explaining all the Computer component jargon and what those values mean in terms of performance. For example a CPU with 16 PCI Express lanes compared to one with 40 PCI Express lanes. It(Manual) should explain what a PCI Express lane is and what benefit there is by having a higher value. Same deal with base frequency, TDP(Thermal Design Power), max memory supported and type, integrated graphics and other component specifications one can find online.

Not only can this be done for CPU's, but also RAM, GPU's, Monitors, SSD and HDD, Motherboards, Optical Drives(for those who still do things with CD's or watch movies on Computers), Sound Cards(are they even needed or worth it?), Wifi network cards, Power Supply and Cases. Can even include peripherals like Headsets, Keyboards, Mouses, Joysticks and VR headsets.

Over the past few months I've learned a lot through reading and research but even still I'm nowhere close to considering myself a competent person on the subject. Even though this may not benefit me as much as it would have 12 months ago, you'd be surprised how many people have no clue what makes up a Computer, much less what each component does and whether or not their hardware is even remotely decent. Therefore, would anyone be up for the challenge of writing such a Manual for OD members? It'd be a long and painstaking task but one that I feel would be widely appreciated and utilized.

no need really computer terminology is update frequently and not to mention he sheer amount of information and time dedication to something like this would be enormous. Might as well link them to pcpartpicker and let it explain it all for you

Pcpartpicker doesn't explain jack. All they do is list parts, their specifications and what their lowest price is online along with checking for any compatibility problems in any custom build. They don't explain what any of the technical jargon means. One basically has to google every technical term just to understand what it stands for and what I'm asking is if someone would be up for organizing it all into one spot for OD members to use. I mean hell I'd do it but my knowledge or street smarts aren't as high as say CompFreak's or TrueChill's when it comes to explaining the technical values behind the components.

It also won't take as long as you might think. If I was to do it, I could probably write one in about an hour, maybe two but again it'd likely be incomplete with a lot of factual errors or misconceptions.

15 minutes ago, Tachikoma01 said:

no need really computer terminology is update frequently and not to mention he sheer amount of information and time dedication to something like this would be enormous. Might as well link them to pcpartpicker and let it explain it all for you

I'd have to agree with Tachi.  Technology changes too much to keep up to date.  I would just follow the latest discussions.

With that said, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.  You'll learn more in depth when you're interested in specifics than someone trying to cram it.

Edited by Hikato
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Hikato said:

I'd have to agree with Tachi.  Technology changes too much to keep up to date.  I would just follow the latest discussions.

CPU's haven't changed much in the past fifteen years. All that's changed are lithography, #cores, threads, base frequency, and so on. What is the harm in explaining what all that means? Where you'd have me is in RAM where they've gone from DRAM1-4 and soon to be 5 with newer RAM technologies being explored(they're just super expensive right now). Even GPU's have advanced significantly from being an afterthought in Computers to now being the second most important component behind the CPU.

Its true Technology does indeed change but so can a Manual through updates. What it takes is for a dedicated person to keep it as up to date as possible.

The simple fact remains, that there is just too much information to put in a single thread or post, and it is nearly impossible to keep it updated... It is much more reasonable to ask if you have a question... I would be open to offer suggestions / help or collaborate on such a thread if you so desire to create it though... I just don't have the time to do it myself... There are just too many topics to cover and not enough time to go through it all at once. If you want, think up of some questions you may have and we can get together on ts or via pm, and I will answer what i can!

3 hours ago, DarkHelmet said:

CPU's haven't changed much in the past fifteen years. All that's changed are lithography, #cores, threads, base frequency, and so on. What is the harm in explaining what all that means? Where you'd have me is in RAM where they've gone from DRAM1-4 and soon to be 5 with newer RAM technologies being explored(they're just super expensive right now). Even GPU's have advanced significantly from being an afterthought in Computers to now being the second most important component behind the CPU.

Its true Technology does indeed change but so can a Manual through updates. What it takes is for a dedicated person to keep it as up to date as possible.

There are plenty of websites that post these and will be much more reliable than us doing it.

9 hours ago, Terra said:

We can't even keep up with our own changes.

Care to expand on that?

@Hikato I found one such website that I intend to link in a new topic with my own take on the current technology jargon. CompFreak and others can always chime in or edit mistakes or misconceptions and perhaps we can update it when new things come onto the market(like new RAM that is currently in development to replace DDR4 and soon to be DDR5).

I'm going to have to agree with the others and say that that's a lot of information to keep track of and to ensure that it is updated. If you need help with PC stuff, we have plenty of people here you can easily private message to get some help. I know that I've done it various times as I'm a little bit lacking in the knowledge of PC's. 

It just seems like it'd be a nuisance/hassle to ensure that it remains up to date with changes. Personally think we should promote speaking to people who are knowledgeable but -shrug-

1 hour ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I'm going to have to agree with the others and say that that's a lot of information to keep track of and to ensure that it is updated. If you need help with PC stuff, we have plenty of people here you can easily private message to get some help. I know that I've done it various times as I'm a little bit lacking in the knowledge of PC's. 

It just seems like it'd be a nuisance/hassle to ensure that it remains up to date with changes. Personally think we should promote speaking to people who are knowledgeable but -shrug-

I made one. As to updating it, eh it can be a hassle but it doesn't take long once you have the initial infrastructure in place. Granted I don't think CPU's, GPU's and even Motherboards are going to change much in the coming years but RAM certainly will. DDR5 is on the way and other forms of Memory are already out there but they're so expensive that they're not feasible for PC's just yet. With further development and research, that will likely change.

I don't understand why you are set on DDR5 when it's not going to be released for another few years at least, and even then, it is going to hit the server market first.  You also need to expect that it's not just DDR5 that has to come out, newer mobos/CPUs will have to support it.  They are usually good at getting all that done at the same time, but availability is another thing.

20 hours ago, DarkHelmet said:

lol cpus have changed tremendously in the last 5 years since i bough a top of the line PC i wasn't lying when i said things change there's lots of types of classification not to mention the differences between AMD and INTEL processors. Infact id say CPUs are one of the highest changed Pieces int he Pc world. Ram is practically the same with differences in MOBOS and speeds but thats hardly important unless ur OCing. GPUs really havnt changed much either just gotten better and the slots they take are pretty standard now. Id easily argue  GPU being more important than CPU for the average gamer your cpu can be decent/Old were as a new GPU will make much bigger changes

Actually Intel CPUs haven't really changed much in favor of desktops/gaming PCs since the Sandy Bridge line.  Everything is focused more on efficiency (power/heat) for laptops and tiny form factor PCs ("mobile").  Integrated graphics has come a good ways (Kaby Lake can handle 4K video on integrated), as well as the interfaces (USB 3.1, mSATA, m.2, etc).

Edited by Hikato

11 minutes ago, Hikato said:

Actually Intel CPUs haven't really changed much in favor of desktops/gaming PCs since the Sandy Bridge line.  Everything is focused more on efficiency (power/heat) for laptops and tiny form factor PCs ("mobile").  Integrated graphics has come a good ways (Kaby Lake can handle 4K video on integrated), as well as the interfaces (USB 3.1, mSATA, m.2, etc).

15 years sandy/ivy/ added hyperthreading and what hyperthreading actually is those kinds of things make an impact so saying they havnt changed much is dumb. comparing a regular cpu to a  hyperthreaded one or a regular version compared to a K version is just a waste of time. Also the amount of cores and amd vs intel is very differnt the advanacements in cpus in the last 5 years alone is pretty good preformance wise and features. if someones actually serious about building a pc they wont bother looking at parts till they have the cash in hand. i know you agree with me im just saying dismissing cpus as something important thats been updated heavily in recent years is just asinine

Maybe I wasn't clear.  There hasn't been a whole lot of focus towards improvements for desktop/gaming applications.  I never compared anything about hyper threading or AMD vs Intel.  In fact, hyperthreading has been around prior to Sandy/Ivy.  I never dismissed them as not being important.  But the things worth mentioning (USB 3.0/1, m.2) are all improved alongside motherboards.

My i7-7700k doesn't offer me very much over my i7-3770k.  All I really gained was m.2 and a higher stock clock (but I was running 4.5 on my 3770k anyway and I could've squeezed more out of it).

5 minutes ago, Hikato said:

Maybe I wasn't clear.  There hasn't been a whole lot of focus towards improvements for desktop/gaming applications.  I never compared anything about hyper threading or AMD vs Intel.  In fact, hyperthreading has been around prior to Sandy/Ivy.  I never dismissed them as not being important.  But the things worth mentioning (USB 3.0/1, m.2) are all improved alongside motherboards.

My i7-7700k doesn't offer me very much over my i7-3770k.  All I really gained was m.2 and a higher stock clock (but I was running 4.5 on my 3770k anyway and I could've squeezed more out of it).

thats a 30% increase in performance which is pretty substantial  i also used 5 years as an example the OP used 15 and himself listed a litany of thigns that have changed but in the same post dismissed them as not changing much if someone wants to go indepth on CPUs to find the correct one for them theres so much information out there its incredible. picking the rest of your pc out is many times easier

Just make a useful links thread and we can sticky it.

I just tell people to go to buildapc.reddit.com and use the sidebar links.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/partsguide

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/partselection

http://pcpartpicker.com/

http://www.productchart.com/monitors/

• Upvote 1