Sign in to follow this  
DarkHelmet

GTX 1080 vs 1080Ti

Back at you with another question and a debate per se. I've been looking to build a new computer and the 1080 GFX cards came out last year that at the time were the best things out there. Now the 1080Ti was just released and was wondering if that is now the new king of Graphics cards. While we're at it, let's throw Titan X's(which I believe are the latest and greatest Titans) into the comparison pool. If you had to pick a GFX card for a new build, which one and why? Cost can be used as an argument in favor or against but if money was no object, what would you go with? In time, and through more research, I might go 1080Ti if they're anything like the 980Ti were back when they came out.

Imjust have to decide what processor and Motherboard would be good enough to pair with those beast of GFX cards.

giphy.gif

Btw when I first saw the 1080Ti I went Holy Shit lmao

Edited by DarkHelmet

Early reviews of the founders edition 1080ti put it neck and neck with the Titan xp cards when it comes to compute and benchmarking. The Titan has 384 bit memory bandwidth to the ti's 356bit, but the ti's memory runs at 11ghz (faster than titan's 10ghz), making the 1080 ti the better real-world gaming performance king. Titan has more memory (12gb v. 11gb), but slower, so ask yourself if that extra gig of vram is worth the extra $500 tag that the Titan brings?  It would be a tough choice between the two if money were no object, and I guess it would ultimately come down to what you intend to use the card for. Also, the 1080ti has only 3 dp and 1 hdmi, where as the Titan has that extra dvi port. Keep in mind also, that the aftermarket coolers yet to be released for the 1080ti may even bring better cooling and thus higher clock speeds and even better performance than the founders editions released by nvidia, potentially edging out the Titan xp from the coveted graphics card "king" title. Time will tell!

1 hour ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

Early reviews of the founders edition 1080ti put it neck and neck with the Titan xp cards when it comes to compute and benchmarking. The Titan has 384 bit memory bandwidth to the ti's 356bit, but the ti's memory runs at 11ghz (faster than titan's 10ghz), making the 1080 ti the better real-world gaming performance king. Titan has more memory (12gb v. 11gb), but slower, so ask yourself if that extra gig of vram is worth the extra $500 tag that the Titan brings?  It would be a tough choice between the two if money were no object, and I guess it would ultimately come down to what you intend to use the card for. Also, the 1080ti has only 3 dp and 1 hdmi, where as the Titan has that extra dvi port. Keep in mind also, that the aftermarket coolers yet to be released for the 1080ti may even bring better cooling and thus higher clock speeds and even better performance than the founders editions released by nvidia, potentially edging out the Titan xp from the coveted graphics card "king" title. Time will tell!

Yeah and that's why I'm going to wait. Now I just have to find the right CPU and MB to go with it. Also would you SLI these new GFX cards or would you even need to? LMAO.

Also, what are your thoughts on the AMD GFX cards? Supposedly their response to NVidia in Vega releases later this year.

Edited by DarkHelmet

6 hours ago, DarkHelmet said:

Yeah and that's why I'm going to wait. Now I just have to find the right CPU and MB to go with it. Also would you SLI these new GFX cards or would you even need to? LMAO.

Also, what are your thoughts on the AMD GFX cards? Supposedly their response to NVidia in Vega releases later this year.

You could sli these cards, and would need to depending on your monitor setup you plan on doing, such as gaming on multiple uhd monitors, etc.

It is speculated that nvidia releases the ti version that beats their titan's, in anticipation of amd releasing a competing product, such as the newly up and coming Vega series...only time will tell which will reign supreme for the next year or so...

Yeah and rumor is Nvidia did the Ti release as a bridge to their new GPU platform or the Volta or w/e its called slated for next year(or perhaps late next year or early 2019). If the new GPU is better than what we have now in the 1080Ti... it might actually be the first GPU to have framerates that never drop below 60 FPS on 4k resolution. In which case if the GPU's keep improving, 100+ FPS at 4k resolution wouldn't be that far off. What I've been reading up on is that AMD the past few years has consistently come up short on the high-end market, basically yielding it to Intel and Nvidia in the CPU/GPU market respectively. AMD owns the low-mid-range or budget market but where the real money flies... they don't own squat. I hope AMD changes that by offering something comparable at a lower price in order to put downward pressure on the high-end market but based on AMD's recent track record... my hopes aren't too high.

Btw, what are your thoughts on the I7-7700's? 4.2 GHz puts my old I7 to shame...(2.67... lol).

if you plan on SLI at all, I would not recommend anything but an X99 platform... if you have the time, wait until the broadwell x99 cpu's come out for your build... if you are planning on SLI, you need a minimum of 40 pci-e lanes to properly handle it...given, you can do 8x by 8x on a z170 chipset, with 4x left for sata drives, but I personally would prefer 16x by 16x for graphics, with 8x left for sata drives...

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

10 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

if you plan on SLI at all, I would not recommend anything but an X99 platform... if you have the time, wait until the broadwell x99 cpu's come out for your build... if you are planning on SLI, you need a minimum of 40 pci-e lanes to properly handle it...given, you can do 8x by 8x on a z170 chipset, with 4x left for sata drives, but I personally would prefer 16x by 16x for graphics, with 8x left for sata drives...

Well yeah if I had to go with an SLI setup right now, I read the best bang for buck was my pick or the 6800, with the 6850 giving a noticeable impact if you're willing to pay a bit more. However, I intend to wait and see if Intel releases 7k series CPU's for the X99 chipset, which hopefully will be a notable improvement over the current 6k series hexacore processors. I also hope that with newer hardware means newer Motherboards to accommodate them. I might even postpone my build into next year to see what the new NVidia GPU is going to be. Rumor is that it puts the current Pascal cards to shame but only time will tell. I might plop 5k on this puppy seeing as it's likely the last computer I'll be getting for a LONG TIME(10+ years is not out of realm of possibility).

http://wccftech.com/intel-x299-chipset-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x/

Found that article from last November so its a bit dated but it appears Intel will be releasing Skylake processors or the next generation of 6-8-10 core processors later this year and on a new Motherboard socket no less(2066), hence instead of x99, they'll be x299. I haven't even looked at x299 Motherboards, much less figured out whether going with them over x99's is even worth it. By the time they release it, 1080Ti's should be going hot and heavy still on demand side of things while aftermarket brands squeeze out more and more out of it. I might end up postponing my build entirely for a good 6-12 months just so I can see what Nvidia's Volta can do when it comes out next year. Plus I want to see what effect Vega and other AMD products have on the computer part market and whether they can push prices down since just looking at early estimates, I'm easily pushing $2500-3k lol.

You're never gonna build this thing if you keep postponing the build. There's never going to be some massive jump in performance combined with a massive decrease in prices, which is what it sounds like you're hoping to see. Good stuff will always be expensive and there will always be a next generation coming in 6, 9, or 12 months. It's been that way for a while now.

• Upvote 1

True, I might just suck it up and build one for Xmas like I originally planned about a year ago. I just want to see what the new Skylake CPU's and x299 Motherboards will offer(along with waiting on 1080Ti market to settle) before I buckle down and do it. Right now I'm leaning towards a 6850 for 40 PCI Express lanes, x99 MB(leaning towards ASUS), 16-32GB of 3k MHz RAM(based on what MB supports), dual 1080Ti's, two SSD's(one for OS and maybe a game or two, other for everything else) and a 3-4TB HD for back-up storage. I think an 850W PSU would be enough considering 1080Ti power demands. Right there, I'm pushing $3.5k on all of that but considering this will probably last me 10-15 years... I think its a small price to pay. Also have to research new Monitors since although these 1080p ones I currently have are sufficient, I'd like to get higher resolution and higher frequency(144 Hz) to take advantage of the GPU power.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:57 PM, DarkHelmet said:

True, I might just suck it up and build one for Xmas like I originally planned about a year ago. I just want to see what the new Skylake CPU's and x299 Motherboards will offer(along with waiting on 1080Ti market to settle) before I buckle down and do it. Right now I'm leaning towards a 6850 for 40 PCI Express lanes, x99 MB(leaning towards ASUS), 16-32GB of 3k MHz RAM(based on what MB supports), dual 1080Ti's, two SSD's(one for OS and maybe a game or two, other for everything else) and a 3-4TB HD for back-up storage. I think an 850W PSU would be enough considering 1080Ti power demands. Right there, I'm pushing $3.5k on all of that but considering this will probably last me 10-15 years... I think its a small price to pay. Also have to research new Monitors since although these 1080p ones I currently have are sufficient, I'd like to get higher resolution and higher frequency(144 Hz) to take advantage of the GPU power.

My Current Main Rig:

- Intel 6850k @ 4.4 ghz oc - Custom Water loop w/ 1 240mm and 1 120mm Radiators

- ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard

- 32gb GSkill DDR4 3000mhz RAM

- ASUS GTX 1080 OC Edition Graphics Card

- Samsung 950pro NvMe m.2 ssd - 512gb (OS & Main Games)

- 2x WD Red 3TB Hard Drives (storage)

- 1x WD Blue 1 TB (scratch disk / temp files / rarely played games)

- 1200w Evga Power Supply

- Logitech G510 Keyboard / Gskill MX780 Gaming mouse

- 3x Acer 25" 1440p Monitors in Nvidia Surround

- 55" Samsung 3d 1080p Smart TV (for movies / accessory display)

- BOSE Home Theater system + BOSE 2.1 Computer Speaker System

I'm able to run just about any game with minimum 60 fps average (some dips on some titles, but not really noticeable) , max details, max settings, at 7680x1440 resolution, while having 3-4 tabs of Chrome open, Watching Twitch Stream, Teamspeak, Discord, Netflix, and YouTube music playing, no problems, with plenty of multitasking to spare ;) .

I've probably spent about $3,000 - $3500 on components, and about $500- $700 on water cooling (not including TV or sound system) with this rig, So you probably aren't that far off on the $4000 guess...

My desk 2.jpg

As for waiting, like Truechill said, there is no time like the present... You can debate back and forth from now until x-mas, and new shit will come out by then, but prices wont really change all that much...You will still pay the premium $$ for premium components. I would personally wait for the 1080TI's to release w/ Aftermarket coolers though, and I hear that Samsung is releasing the 960pro NvMe ssd soon as well...

As for the monitors, if you want 1440p + and 144hz, be prepared to pay $700 each minimum! ( for me it would mean $2100 just in monitors~why I stuck with 60hz! lol )

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

Yeah I might just stick with 60 Hz, especially considering I don't play FPS on computer(mostly RTS like Starcraft or RPG like Diablo 2/3 etc.). As for resolution, I've been jostling back and forth between 4k and 2560x1440. If I opt for 4k, I'm leaning towards 32-34 inch since if memory serves that's the ideal size for it. If I opt for the lower resolution, 24-27 inch would be more than adequate. Btw, you have dual GPU's in SLI or you just prefer the 40 PCI Lanes that 6850 happens to provide? Anyways, I'm going to wait a bit to let the 1080Ti market settle a bit. I read online that additional testing on the 1080Ti that they managed to overclock the damn thing to 2.5GHz... breaking the Titan X record. Also by waiting a few more months will allow for Intel to release their latest Skylake and Kaby Lake processors. They already released their current best Kaby Lake in the 7700(1151 socket) but I wanted to wait for their Kaby Lake X model that will be on the new X299 Motherboards. Apparently they'll push PCI Express lanes up to 46 and hopefully will have the best clock speed.

31 minutes ago, DarkHelmet said:

you have dual GPU's in SLI or you just prefer the 40 PCI Lanes that 6850 happens to provide? 

My original plan was to get a 2nd 980Ti, but alas, by the time the 1080's came out, the 980ti that matched the one I had, was still $900, and I decided to put my 980ti in my media pc / LAN rig, and get myself a 1080 upgrade for $680 so saved some money and got an OP card for a media pc! lol (also explains why I got the 1200w PSU)

As far as monitors go, I started with a Korean b-stock monitor that can overclock. Crossover 2795QHD -- 27" / 1440p / IPS / 96Hz (overclocked). I spent $170 on it. Hell of a deal. Recently, I got an ASUS PB278Q which is a 27" / 1440p / IPS / 60Hz panel. The bezels don't match which kind of sucks, but you can't really get those exact same Korean ones anymore.

I'm probably gonna sell my 1070 and get a 1080 soon since people are selling them used for quite cheap.

People,are selling 1080's because the 1080Ti takes a giant crap on it at resolutions above 1080. If you're sticking to 1080 resolution, the 1080 GPU is more than adequate and at a reasonable price than what I was going to pay six months ago when I started exploring building a new rig.

I do have a question regarding monitors. Do I need NVidia GSync or not?

1080 does well at 1440 but 1080Ti tests blow it out of the GPU water. If your going on a budget build though, I would highly recommend a 1080 now, even if it's still on the pricey end(you get what you pay for). Still though, any idea on whether I need GSync or not on a Monitor? My gut says no but figured I'd ask.

Been reading that the AMD CPU's have been getting rave reviews but so far Intel hasn't budged on price. Basically calling AMD's bluff and only market share will change their minds. Whether that will lead to price cuts I don't know but waiting certainly will pay dividends.

Now to go clean a nasty refrigerator...

Are you going at 4k? I'd get GSync then. If you're gonna play at 1440p on a 1080 Ti then you probably don't need GSync.

Ryzen 7 is good for workstation/mulitasking PCs. They're mediocre at best for gaming.

Nvidia's Gsync and AMD's FreeSync are the terms that the respective companies use to describe the type of technology that was introduced a little while ago, to fix the issue where the GPU outputs each frame as fast as it can, but the monitor can only display the number of Hz that it is rated for, which causes "screen tearing" and "ghosting". For instance, having a beast rig that outputs 100+ fps but connecting a monitor that has a rating of 60hz (60 images per second), may cause "ghosting" of images and / or issues with image alignment on the same screen. GSYNC and FreeSync basically helps with this issue, by synchronizing the output of the GPU with the input of the monitor, so that the GPU outputs the correct image at the correct time that the monitor can display that image. This is why you typically don't see Gsync or Freesync technology on monitors that have a refresh rate of only 60hz. These technologies have nothing to do with the resolution of the monitor, but rather the timing of when images are sent / displayed on the screen. The higher the fps, the more justified the technology becomes. Kinda like when they introduced "VSYNC" built into games' option menus to limit the GPU to outputting only 60fps, GSync and FreeSync are the opposite of this limitation, "freeing" the gpu but eliminating the issues that ensue. Think of Gsync and freesync as the higher fps version of Vsync, but without any limitation other than what your GPU can do.

If you are planning on buying a monitor with Higher refresh rates and gaming at those higher frames per second, then yes, I would suggest investing in a monitor that supports the technology. It isn't a requirement by any means, but I can't imagine that Nvidia and AMD would've invested all that time and $$ coming up with that technology if there wasn't a need or demand for it.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but if you are planning on a Nvidia graphics card, I don't think the "FreeSync" technology would work with it, and vice versa...  (please correct me if I am wrong).

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

You're not wrong on the assumption that AMD FreeSync wouldn't work with NVida GPU's and vice versa(I mean if they did why would AMD go to the effort of writing Monitor software for their competition?). Anyways, if I was to get 2560x1440, I have plans of doing 144 Hz refresh rate, hence my GSync question and why I was wondering if it was necessary. At 4k, most monitors are 60 Hz because most GPU's and even the best of the best 1080Ti have a hard time beating 60 FPS at that resolution. I've also been reading that alot of the 4k Monitors quite frankly suck right now in terms of quality. Granted 4k Monitors are relatively new right now compared to the 2560x1440 resolution models but with the new GPU Volta from NVidia slated for next year, that GPU card could realistically push FPS above 60(if not above 100) on 4k resolution(which again is why I asked about GSync).

My current rigs, despite their age(which is pushing 10 years old as of next year or so) are more than adequate to run what I like on medium settings. When I get the new rig later this year or if I opt to wait into 2018 for the Volta and perhaps newer Intel CPU's if I find the Skylake-X and Kaby-Lake-X to frankly suck on the new x299 chipset, then my current games will run astronomically faster(it will literally be night and day lol).

I'm happy with my 1080 TI.  

• Upvote 1