Sign in to follow this  
Changes(OD)

I stopped being poor, and so can you!

I began this ladder season with a zealer (sucked) then tried a necromancer (sucked) and then got smart, and realized that all of the fun builds are a tad bit gear-intensive, so I started reading. I've always been skeptical as to the effect of magic find in game and I believe a quick explanation of how it works is in order. Magic find does NOT change the type of item dropped.

For instance, if mephisto decides to drop a cap, he's dropping that cap regardless if your magic find is 0 or 1000.

Your magic find helps to determine though, if you're going to get a regular, magic, rare, set, or unique cap!

So in part, magic find does exactly what it says, helps you find magic items.

The profitability of this process is questionable i'm sure, but in less than 50 runs (Which are very very short) at a mf of around 300, i've found a tal's ammy, half of trangs, a hoz, shako, and two facets.

The Process:

Get a sorceress, they can kill meph from a screen away, have a built in nigma, and the best magic find equipment in the game is geared towards them.

Do nightmare baal runs until level 75-80

In hell difficulty Beat act 1 and 2, and kill the high council, getting the durance waypoint.

Join other people's games that have already killed mephisto, and kill him there.

Receive quest-level drops every time you kill meph.

I don't know why exactly it works, but it does, I have not seen a shitty all magic drop yet.

How to kill mephisto without dying:

Make a fire sorceress:

Use either a hydra, fireball, or meteor build (I use meteor)

Use the Rising sun amulet. (The fire absorb makes the hydras from the council heal you, even if you have -100 resists, so you can ignore them if they spawn in the middle)

Teleport here:

8zlm6x.jpg

Run to here:

2isutl4.jpg

Teleport to here:

2cwx6v.jpg

Drop spells on meph until he is dead.

Finding meph is easy, if your waypoint exits to the northeast, D3 will be facing southeast

Waypoint exits southeast, D3 will be facing Southwest

Waypoint exits Southwest, D3 will be facing northwest

Waypoint exits Northwest, D3 will be facing northeast

(Go counter clockwise)

And now you know, start making that FG.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I want to add to this, that this type of sorceress is useless for anything but this run, it's strictly a wealth builder. You can do this with really really crap gear, and just use your finds to improve the runner over time. AND you can hit meph, tp out, and hit lower kurast super chests in under 2 minutes.

If the wp exists in the northeast corner and D3 is in southeast wouldnt that mean u go (Clockwise)? or am i just miss understanding..

I've been waiting for someone to write this down for quite awhile. I <3 Changes.

the reason this MF method works better than others is because, by entering other peoples games that have killed him already (i used hell baal games, more people= better drops and more drops) you can kill him without completing the quest thus giving you the "quest drops" everytime. The "quest drops" have a much much higher % to drop uniques, rares, etc. than just killing him after you have completed the quest yourself.

When i did play D2 i tested this myself.... i had 2 sorcs one that had already killed him and one that didnt. i did the "quest drop" method on my sorc that hadnt completed the quest yet and after 50 runs i had found 4 arachnid belts, a few rare rings worth keeping, 2 BK rings, and a bunch of other items what were in high demand at the time. i then did another 50 runs with a sorc that had completed every quest in all 3 difficulties. after those 50 runs i had only found 1 arachnid belt, no rares worth keeping and basically a bunch of charsi food.

i dont know if they have fixed this "glitch" or not but it is extremely effective at building wealth fast and if it still works i recommend setting up a sorc to do this.

This is pretty useful, pinning topic.

iso rising sun amulet

ISO sorc

ill lev her myseld rofl :D

GG great info keep it up

I wrecked my first one so now I have to redo it...

Be careful and don't kill meph in a game that quest isn't done. CHECK IT EVERY TIME it will add 10 seconds to your run, but it takes much longer to re-rush a character.

Don't use mercs. If you have to change gear to get enough Mana to be efficient, do it. Mercs just die a lot or get you killed.

Dwarf does not work, 2 dwarfs do not work. You need The Rising Sun.

I wrecked my first one so now I have to redo it...

Be careful and don't kill meph in a game that quest isn't done. CHECK IT EVERY TIME it will add 10 seconds to your run, but it takes much longer to re-rush a character.

Don't use mercs. If you have to change gear to get enough Mana to be efficient, do it. Mercs just die a lot or get you killed.

Dwarf does not work, 2 dwarfs do not work. You need The Rising Sun.

could you tell us what gear you got on your sorc ?

stats points /skill points

My sorc isn't as efficient as it could be i'm sure

Gear:

Shako P-Topazed

Ist Skullders

Occy

Spirit monarch

Frosties

Goldwrap

Frosties (Chancies better for MF, but I can get through a run no merc with 1 magic pot)

Silks

dwarf (For more fire sorb, waiting for another nagel)

nagel

rising sun

gheeds.

My gear isn't ultra $$$$ but you don't even need most of this. You could do naked runs with enough fcr and the rising sun and still not die.

Level 78

Stats:Strength, enough for 156 (for spirit, with charms and +gear factored in.)rest in vit

Skills:

20 firebolt

20 fireball

20 meteor

20 fire mastery

1 blaze

1 inferno

1 firewall

1 static field

1 telekinesis

1 teleport

Here's a run I did with no gear whatsoever and the merc is visible doing all that mercs will do in these runs.

rlmhkp.jpg

Edited by Changes(OD)

its better if you can get the Tal Rasha set bonus for MFing, it shouldnt be that expensive and it will pay for itself within a matter of days at most.

gear that i used:

Occy (ist'd)

Tal ammy

Tal Chest

ist'd shako

2x SoJ's

Tal Belt

Spirit Monarch

Magefist

War Travs

Sorc Torch

Anni

for the torch and anni i actually did do NITEMARE baal runs till i hit 80 so that i could use the anni and torch. you could get to 80 the same day as getting a nitemare rush, its just time consuming. Also as a bonus you get a few extra stat and skill points.

A trick to kill him faster, this takes some practice to perfect but does shorten the runs considerably, tele to him hit Static Field a couple times to knock him down then tele across the river to your spot and either use blizz or meteor depending on your spec

I think I'm going to try this out. I 6x Ist'd a crystal sword the other day and it could be perfect for this use. :)

Thanks!

Very knowledgable info on MF in the game

I've tried exactly this before on non ladder and it DOES work.

Most effective if you can have 300+ MF, preferably 400 for the rare breakpoint

GL everyone, I know i'll be doing it ladder now

May I also suggest Infernostrides for the +10 max and 30FR. Or maybe Travs for MF

heh seems i have to do the nm glitch thing for the quest drop thing... that makes it all seem more worth it really. id remake to actually find things mfing lol.

It's about patience, as with anything that is based on chance, the odds are reset every time the event is "rolled". Your MF has nothing to do with what type of item drops, just the quality. So if meph is dropping rare gilded shields and spiderweb sashes every time, you need more mf. But if he's dropping a ton of sets and uniques, just not the ones you want, be patient. The game doesn't discriminate between "Good" and "Bad items.

Blizzard is far easier to use for this build, it kills faster, but you can't kill the vampires in the durance. What you CAN do however, is run mausoleums, as there are no normal cold immunes there. Skeletons and zombies only, no ranged attackers, and the same alvl as the pit.

cant believe some people dont know about this already. Moat tricks been around for ages.

A non-bo'd sorc is a weak sorc.