Sign in to follow this  
xerxa(OD)

Water resource management question set 3

Describe one cause of poor water quality you feel agriculture plays a role in.

How can you help resolve water quality issues in agriculture operations? And in your home?

Select one area from an irrigation water report that if out of balance, could effect crop production. Describe the problem and effects on the crop. Finally suggest a solution.

I Will be posting my thoughts on the subject tomorrow. Please feel free to share yours as well. Thanks

OD-xerxa

The water soaking fields to grow crops here sometimes are not located to the safest of lands. In example I have a family members house between an old iron mill, which is on a hill made of the sledge from the mill 150 years ago. So the crops which soak up good run off water, and puts a well proportional size of that water directly into Susquehanna which is the largest feed of the Cheseapeake. The iron in my neighbors house makes the water really hard, and actually undrinkable without extra filtration beyond the standard well stuff. My water being above this field is not contaminated at all by the iron, and in fact I have great water.

If we cleaned up that site instead of letting it sit for "historical purposes" we would contaminate the water less down hill, and down stream. This answers not homework material but yea, I think about stuff like this lots.

are you handing us your homework assignments?

• Laugh 1

45 minutes ago, SuNSeT said:

are you handing us your homework assignments?

Nope just posting the questions, Ive posted my reply vs the questions Im posted. I just want to hear what others have to say considering water management will be harder and harder.

Ha if only they knew the extent of what were doing now, with mining industries. I think the year they put out for when we run out of fresh water, will be about half.

2100 would be 2060. Wont be that soon but I would be surprised if we pass 2100

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SuNSeT said:

Ha if only they knew the extent of what were doing now, with mining industries. I think the year they put out for when we run out of fresh water, will be about half.

2100 would be 2060. Wont be that soon but I would be surprised if we pass 2100

I also agree with the lowering of the anticipated year we run out of fresh water. From the atmospheric science side of things, I'm holding very little hope for our future - especially with the recent data skewing towards an extremely soon time frame in regards to detrimental environmental impacts caused by the big nasty thing no one wants to discuss. 

*shrug* I won't get into my climate science discussion as I don't want to upset anyone xD. Casual two cents.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I also agree with the lowering of the anticipated year we run out of fresh water. From the atmospheric science side of things, I'm holding very little hope for our future - especially with the recent data skewing towards an extremely soon time frame in regards to detrimental environmental impacts caused by the big nasty thing no one wants to discuss. 

*shrug* I won't get into my climate science discussion as I don't want to upset anyone xD. Casual two cents.

I would honestly love to hear what you have to say. All perspectives. This is what people do not want to hear because it scares them. SO WHAT. Maybe that's what we need to get our shit together, and believe me people are trying, but big gov regulations allow people to completely annihilate the land without repercussion. It sickens me.

I would consider runoff of nitrogen and phosphorous rich agricultural products such as fertilizers and manures one of the biggest agricultural problems that is causing poor water quality. We are relying to heavily on nutrients and synthetics that runoff into our streams, rivers, and lakes, which is causing harmful algae blooms all over the United State's fresh water supply. This will and is leading to extreme water quality degradation and health safety concerns.

Resolving the water quality issues in agriculture operations seems to be an extremely tough question, especially now that there are so many influencing factors on how a farmer operates their farm. Some of the main influences could be personal situations, the quantity and quality of the resources and technologies to which they have access, agricultural policies, and environmental regulations. These are just a few, but I have to say through my research water quality issues have been brushed aside. Run off barriers need to be installed. No if, and, or buts about it. Using strong micron bags containing filtrating material would slow down and clean the water, possibly making the runoff much safer if it makes it to our water systems. Even for Home use, powerful filtration systems can be bought and even made. I love DIY projects! The only issue is these will need to be replaced as they age. 

I believe PH is the biggest factor that will effect crop production, mostly in greenhouse production if not in balance. Around 6 to 6.5. If your PH is out of whack, you should prepare for what i call lockout. If this occurs lockout will temporarily or completely stop plant growth, because the plant cannot absorb nutrients. When there is too much buildup in your medium, it can react with your plants and the nutrients you are feeding them. When this happens, excess nutrients can clump together or become ineffective, making them unavailable to the plant. Basically, too much nutrient build-up causes a change in the pH of your growing environment, causing a nutrient lockout. Common signs of nutrient lockout include stunted growth and yellowing leaves, as well as leaf burn. Plants can also become limp and lifeless over time. I believe the best solution is to flush completely with pure water, and monitor your plants closely. This should hopefully help your crop to start accepting nutrients again.

-ODxerxa

@MelodicRose(OD)

@SuNSeT

@Townkill(OD)