MelodicRose(OD)

Weather Nerd Kait's Balloon Launch Videos

As I posted in a status over the weekend, the Carolinas had a really fun snow event this past weekend. We typically don't see this much snow this early in the season (most of our snow comes in late January/early February), so of course the weather nerds were outside in it. But we were also outside for other reasons!

I am part of a research team with my adviser of my meteorology department. During snowfall events with totals that reach a certain threshold.. or during Northwest snowfall events.. we launch weather balloons! We also make this data available to neighboring National Weather Service offices, which they use to tune their forecasts - as they are now getting live data from the storm. This is very useful data and this dataset is incredibly rare. 

We had some issues with our balloons: ice accumulation ended up bringing most of our balloons back down to surface (got up to about 700mb, then the ice accumulated and it started going back down to the starting pressure... woops). It was a very odd scenario, so out of 5 or 6 balloons launched, we only had viable upper-atmosphere data for 2 launches. Very sad. Regardless, launching the balloon is super fun.. being in the snow is super fun.. and getting followed by Alex Wilson from the Weather Channel was a highlight. Seeing/hearing thundersnow in Asheville was even better (and I rubbed it in Cantore's face as he was in Boone, hahahahah!). 

If you have any questions, pleaaaaaase ask. I'd love to answer them. If anyone knows how to download Twitter live videos.. please share knowledge. I have livestreams on there as well.. they just want to be argumentative. Some of them are a little loud, so be wary ~ They are within the vimeo links below:

First Balloon Launch (that I got to see): 

Snow! : 

Edited by MelodicRose(OD)

Darn neither of the links worked for me!  

Eugh.. I will try to fix it. 

Well I am not sure what's wrong.. It says its public. So nvm i guess..

Edited by MelodicRose(OD)

Update: @DBZ(OD) became the real MVP and sent me links that will potentially work! They've been added to the original post. Thank you DBZ 😄