Sign in to follow this  
Kappa(OD)

Some ladder reset tips

Hey guys with the reset in just 8 days and my return to OD i figured ide make a post with some tips for starting up, these arent manditory and are just my opinions so if you have something to add ¬†feel free or do whatever makes you happy and play the way you have fun¬†ūüôā

1. Make a sorceress first (Blizzard)

The sorceress is the most efficient ladder starting character, you have teleport and good dmg with low gear investment, Fire sorc is also viable but can do less and not as easily. Reason for blizzard stated later on in these tips.

2. Level through normal as fireball sorc with leaf staff( shop  desired +skills and 2 soc from akara) and tir ral from countess. For nightmare respec into a frozen orb sorc and for hell go with ur final blizzard setup if this is what you choose

3. Get easy to obtain runewords like stealth, lore, leaf, ancients pledge, spirit, insight, rhyme, splendor etc to gain early advantages like skills, fcr, resists etc.

4. Save ur flawless topazs for making ptopazs so you can make 3ptopaz helm and 4ptopaz chest for big mf bonus early.

5. I dont reccomend using a merc early on because they die easily and screw up your positioning for early mfing, mana pots work great with no insight, but if you want to use a merc however treachery armor, tals mask and insight or obedience are great starter items there is also many other budget merc setups, even if ur a cold sorc still use nm holy freeze defensive merc it will freeze cold immunes and increase your tele survival.

6. 1pt warmth, static, tele, frozen armor

These give you Mana regen, health dropper, mobility, freeze attackers/ defense. I dont reccomend trying to static bosses if your solo mfing, with this gear ull get wrecked if you stay in range of a boss and with low skills static range is basically melee, use this for pub boss kills or once you aquire a decent setup

7. Mf areas that dont have many immunes to your element,  ex: for cold sorc ancient tunnels/ andy/ meph/ pindle 

8. Moat trick mephisto (google if you dont know this) its a very important early mephisto strategy, for andariel just cast blizz's and keep teleing back and forth to make her walk through them, for pindle enter portal and tele to entrance and spam blizz on pindle pack, if one of his adds manage to come close or charge freeze them using ice blast which will be your shift+left click

9. My final most important tip ive discovered over the years and this is totally optional to everyone but for me its a must, sell everything decent you find asap! Your sorc with noob gear will farm these spots so easily and if you wanna build up wealth to afford to deck out a character this is the best way to go. As soon as all the bots get up and running and the prices start dropping big time your not gonna get anything for your shakos and occys etc but the bots will be raking in the high runes and godly drops so this puts you in a very bad position money wise, take as much as you can get early and fast so you can afford all the gg stuff once everything starts dropping which wont be long into the ladder. Sell a shako for 2000 fg or a high rune etc and buy it back for 1/10th cost in a few weeks kinda deal, you dont need that gear early unless you want it thats cool too but just remember as prices drop on the decent items the higher tier stuff will stay way more expensive in comparison making it harder to aquire endgame stuff. 

Anywho im glad to be back, i hope this helps some people and i hope to see you all at ladder reset! GL and HF ūüôā -Kappa

Edited by Kappa(OD)

Nice post and welcome back.

I agree with most of it, but a lot of it is dependent on your strategy. For example, I think Sorcs(and Pallys) are usually the most expensive to gear since so many people do them. Great if you want to rush early and tele runs, but other classes have plenty of viable early game strategies, like BO Barb with mf & item find.

I love the last suggestion, never hold anything. I would add to it, resell gear. Catch auctions at off hours for 2/3rd item cost, resell it on the first iso you can. You can rack up a little coin this way to if you're willing to watch jsp while playing.

Edited by TieDyeT(OD)
  • Like 1

Yeah things like summon necro and stuff can clear the game on hell alot easier but kill slow and dont have access to tele other than charges, there is many other viable class options to roll on reset thats for sure, sorc is just fast for mfing bosses mainly, summon nec would be a good choice for things like pits and chaos ide imagine, potentially finding some godly drops

Ultimately everyone should have fun and do what¬†they enjoy ūüôā ima try to luck out on some andy and meph drops in the first few weeks and try to get some profitz to make my trapsin ūüėĄ

A lot of good information here for newer players getting ready for the reset good job guys!

• Like 1

good post! great info not exactly how i do it but its great if u are new to resets!

ps: im a holder of my found items ;D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Froggie420(OD) said:

good post! great info not exactly how i do it but its great if u are new to resets!

ps: im a holder of my found items ;D

haha i would never be able to afford anything good if i did that, damn bots! lol maybe we get lucky and get a banwave again like 2 seasons ago that was a great ladder

One thing I would recommend if anyone wants to try something different is make a pally for ubers. ME and krusty(OD) teamd up and did ubers for people  and farmed unid torches last ladder. We made over 20k fg each and it doesn't take a good pally to kill ubers.  Just a simple way to make some serious FG.  You gotta get to it early on because the need for an uber service dies down fast. but if your one of the first to offer it your set.

But there is some good info in your post thanks kappa.

• Like 1

That's some good advice if you're playing alone, but in a party, the best build for sorceress is to max static and let the others land the finishing blow, then respec to blizzard.
For additionnal tips, you can farm andy with using only mf gear safely as I explained there : 

In addition to moat trick meph, you can easily find the path to durance level 3 from the waypoint by tracing a box around the waypoint and going left of that box's exit. Here's an example
AKAzT22.png

The reason this works most of the time is because lvl3 entrance's box shape will ALWAYS be the waypoint's shape rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so the odds of it being left are very high.
I also want to add into this :
 7. Mf areas that dont have many immunes to your element,  ex: for cold sorc ancient tunnels/ andy/ meph/ pindle 
Other good areas are Mausoleum(very easy and no cold immunes) + Maggot Lair lvl 3

Edited by HeartBound(OD)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DBZ(OD) said:

One thing I would recommend if anyone wants to try something different is make a pally for ubers. ME and krusty(OD) teamd up and did ubers for people  and farmed unid torches last ladder. We made over 20k fg each and it doesn't take a good pally to kill ubers.  Just a simple way to make some serious FG.  You gotta get to it early on because the need for an uber service dies down fast. but if your one of the first to offer it your set.

But there is some good info in your post thanks kappa.

yeah there are some very good budgit smiter builds out there, djwaters has a good guide on youtube if anyones interested in going this route

"Other good areas are Mausoleum(very easy and no cold immunes) + Maggot Lair lvl 3"

yeah mausleum in the blood raven area is great as well for starting out, density is a little low and spread out but if you need to start here i have found multiple good items in there, make sure to always open clickables as well - chests, graves, corpses etc (this applies to everywhere in the game)

Edited by Kappa(OD)

Building on Heartbound's; If you're on a budget and want something safe in hc, you can also set up a fire sorb sorceress and not finish the Meph quest at hell. Join chaos runs and farm meph. You will get quest quality drops(more uniques and rares) as long as you don't complete the meph quest. Hydras will heal you with full res and abosorb gear; while you "moat trap" meph.

key set-up pieces for the build are - Shako (sheal'd), Viper Magi(upp'ed & Um'ed), Wiz Spike (Ist), SS (Hel'd), Inferno Strides, Rising Sun, T God. Also ran with magefist for 100fcr & fire skills, rings are junky res rings till i find Nagels. The stats I put enough Dex for around 50% Block Chance.

It's all interesting to read.¬† Even this old of a game, there is always some new way to do things or a new strategy that you haven't thought of.¬† Thanks for posting this!! ūüôā

There is extra tips like buying mf boots/gloves from hell anya and resetting her inventory by entering pindle tp back n forth till the items u need spawn but i could go on for days so figured ide just cover the best ones i could think of at the time haha, thanks for all the extra input from others and gl to everyone! See yall at the reset