Purplez(OD)

Things that make you go hmmmmm

21 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I must have missed the concept you proposed? Instead of trying to find fault with others' ideas and "breaking each other down", I'd like to hear what idea you would like to teach everyone!

At the moment, the concept of discussion.

Now don't go giving me the whole "stop picking on us!" line, we are having a good debate! This is how people collaborate to become smarter, wiser, more knowledgeable and more open-minded. You have to be open about hearing the perspectives and thoughts of others! Maybe there are some parts of what I said you agree with, maybe there are some you don't, you have the freedom to pick and choose which parts make sense to you and what to accept, but either way you can't tell me this hasn't been an insightful conversation, right? 😮

It is difficult to say how well humanity would unite in the face of extra-terrestrial threats. Sure, your favorite Sci-Fi movies make it seem pretty simple and glorious, but in these Hollywood-based films the world tends to universally and unconditionally follow the leadership of the United States (If a movie even depicts anyone other than Americans at all), which from the perspective of an American probably does seem like the perfect concept. =P

Obviously in the real world it's a bit more complicated. That said there is no reason to believe humanity couldn't act in a united and collaborative way, there are certainly plenty of examples in which the United Nations does just that. And movies aside, I'm sure that's more what you had in mind anyway.

Unfortunately we can't form an adversity with something that isn't there. Possibility alone isn't enough to unite people, it has to become something real first. That's not likely to ever be aliens, and as for global catastrophes well.. you can see how well that's uniting us already with global warming. The asteroid impact is the only realistic form of outer-planetary threat we have a chance of being faced with, but this probably won't actually unite people. Most developed nations can and have already put together their own plans for dealing with the threat of an oncoming asteroid, and can act upon their solutions independent of other countries. At most it would be a collaborative project of the UN, and as long as we catch an incoming asteroid early enough we're more than capable of dealing with it. (Unless it's really really big, that would be bad) Once the asteroid is dealt with, it's back to business as usual on Earth.

16 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Two parter today.  Do you believe people are losing the art of conversation because of a reliance on social media?  And how much does language affect our thinking?

I like to think I'm preserving the art of conversation just fine right here! 😄

I don't think social media is causing people to lose the art of conversation, people who are strong conversationalists still have their avenues to converse in. What social media is doing is providing an overwhelming outlet for the many people who are not strong conversationalists. These people were always there, we just didn't have to read what they said everywhere we went before.

Does language affect our thinking? As in does someone's native language influence the way they think? Probably not. But the culture they grew up in, in which that language is derived from, most certainly would.

4 hours ago, Terra said:

Now don't go giving me the whole "stop picking on us!" line, we are having a good debate!

You know I love debates as much as, if not more than the next person, and if we had opposing viewpoints I would certainly stand up for my beliefs. But we (were) both arguing the same point, that out of conflict / free market, we come out with new technologies and intentions. Where we seem to be diverging from each other, from what I gather at least, is whether or not the examples I've listed would be "enough" of a cause to unite the species to the point of progressing and succeeding / surviving the conflict? However, I think we've successfully derailed this topic enough, so I'd rather split this off into its own discussion before continuing the debate with you 😉 .

4 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Two parter today.  Do you believe people are losing the art of conversation because of a reliance on social media?  And how much does language affect our thinking?

Yes, I feel that because of the sudden explosion of social media, people have increased their "shorthand" use, dropping letters of words, almost to the point of being unable to recognize what word the person is meaning, and now with the advent of Emoji's, we've circled back to the time (roughly more than 5000 years ago) when written language is being reduced (or expanded, depending on how you see it) to pictures, hence the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Think about shakespeare and the like. Back then, you were required to take your time and carefully write down what you wanted to say, and if you made a mistake in writing one letter, there was no "backspace" key, so you had to start from the beginning of the page all over again! With modern technology, typing / texting has even been computerized to the point where we have features like "autocorrect", so the modern person isn't even required to know how to spell. We don't speak the way we did 100 years ago, and I believe technology is a major contributing factor of it. Now fast forward to technology of today, where we have snapchat, instagram, facebook, twitter, etc. People are more concerned about being first to post an update, first to respond to someone else, first to have their voice "heard", that they are less concerned about correct grammar or spelling out words so they abbreviate them. Thus, the decline in language, it's effect on our thinking, and my answer to the 2nd part of your question... How many times have you, or heard someone else say "OMG" instead of "Oh My Gosh", out loud, and in person? or say "LOLZ" instead of making the actual effort to actually Laugh out loud because of laziness, or they are too embarrassed to let someone else hear them laugh for fear of ridicule? There is no question in my mind, that technology has made human beings not only lazy, but has even become a "shelter", promoting and encouraging our own fears, and has (in my opinion / IMO) affected our language, culture, and very thinking. Luckily, there are still a few of us around, that remember a time before all of this, that learned how to write in cursive during grade-school, spent time studying how to spell correctly (either by choice, schooling, or had parents that made them actually read and be tested on a dictionary as a punishment for something they did), etc., but it has become painfully obvious that those days are behind us.

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

What? We're not derailing the topic, my hmmmms just go on a little longer than other peoples hmmmmms. =p

• Upvote 1

Body language and inflection are a big part of communication - I believe that many are misconstrued, misunderstood and or seen as socially awkward because of social media, E-Mails and other forms of digital communication.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, MineNotYour(OD) said:

Body language and inflection are a big part of communication - I believe that many are misconstrued, misunderstood and or seen as socially awkward because of social media, E-Mails and other forms of digital communication.

I agree with that Brian. Body language adds so much to a conversation into being able to understand and not misunderstand what somebody is trying to convey. Too often people will write something either here on the forums or in a p.m. that they think is conveying their intent but it actually can it be misconstrued.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

they think is conveying their intent but it actually can it be misconstrued.

Story of my life.

• Like 1

I hope everybody is enjoying these conversations as much as I am.  You get such insights reading the answers that people provide, so I thank all of you who are responding.

What two questions would you ask to get the most information about who a person truly is?

• Like 1

My two questions would be, what makes you who you are and secondly what is the most embarassing situation you've ever been in and what was the end result lol

I often wonder as well why gossip and drama are so prevalent in our society today.  Life is hard enough without having situations arise at work that cause hardship for no reason.  Maybe it's the field I'm in, but it is disheartening at times.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:45 PM, Purplez(OD) said:

I hope everybody is enjoying these conversations as much as I am.  You get such insights reading the answers that people provide, so I thank all of you who are responding.

I am fully enjoying this thread, and totally agree that much insight can be gained with these questions... Thank you for starting this and keeping it going!

On 10/15/2018 at 6:45 PM, Purplez(OD) said:

What two questions would you ask to get the most information about who a person truly is?

I think you already asked that one... hahahaha, but here's my answer again (in case you missed it 😉:

On 10/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, CompFreak(OD) said:
On 10/10/2018 at 7:50 AM, Purplez(OD) said:

1. Why do you believe you are here / what is your purpose?

2. You are the driver on a train and the brakes do not work. A split in the tracks ahead. You have a magical lever on the train, that can change which tracks the train will follow. On one track, there are five random workers, and on the other, sits the person that means the most to you. Nobody can hear or see the train coming, and whichever track you choose, either the workers or that person which means the most to you will surely die. What do you do?

*Considering @Terra, @Townkill(OD), and I are all up for eval at the moment, I would be a bit disappointed not to find these types of questions posted by someone on our evals, to be honest 😉

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

We are all made of the stars....starstuff if you will......so basically we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I am fully enjoying this thread, and totally agree that much insight can be gained with these questions... Thank you for starting this and keeping it going!

I think you already asked that one... hahahaha, but here's my answer again (in case you missed it 😉:

Glad you are enjoying it and you are RIGHT I already did ask that one my bad lol    Geeze had a brain explosion there.  So here's another one. 

Is intelligence or wisdom more useful?

11 minutes ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Is intelligence or wisdom more useful?

That is a good one! Let's see...

Intelligence can be very useful, and can even mean survival, but the wisdom to know when the intelligence becomes useful is equally important... I think I'm going to err on the side of intelligence here... You could be the wisest person in the world, but without the intelligence to back it up, you can be cast off as a rambling idiot... I believe that wisdom is learned over time through experience (yours or others'), and the more intelligence you have, the less time it *may* take to become wise (I say "may" because not all intelligent people become wise). That said, I'm going to say Intelligence is more useful, and here's an example of why I believe so:

You are stranded in the wilderness, cut off from civilization. Your wisdom may give you the necessary tools to know that you should either try to make it back to civilization or to build a fire so you don't freeze to death. Without the intelligence of knowing HOW to build a fire, or WHICH DIRECTION to go, knowing what you need to do is useless.  In this case, Intelligence would be more useful for survival...

I guess it really depends on the situation, because I find myself being able to argue both sides of this question... Good one @Purplez(OD)

I think we need both in order to survive in society and I agree CompFreak that it depends on the situation.

On a lighter note, what activities do you participate in that cause you to believe you are living life to the fullest?

If an armoured bank truck's back doors unexpectedly open and money starts falling out what do you do?

On 10/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, Purplez(OD) said:

On a lighter note, what activities do you participate in that cause you to believe you are living life to the fullest?

That answer can vary also on each individual's situation... A person working 60 hours a week to provide food and shelter for their family, but has a minimal amount of time and money to spend doing what they rather do instead, versus the person that has the funds and the time to work less and enjoy life more. Both can say they are living life to the "fullest", but one could also say that neither are... I guess the real conundrum depends on which definition of "living to the fullest" you choose and how you handle your responsibilities? Some define it as working less, and enjoying more, and others may say enjoying when you can is no different (quality over quantity). I try to aim for the balance between the two 😉.

1 hour ago, Purplez(OD) said:

If an armoured bank truck's back doors unexpectedly open and money starts falling out what do you do?

Is the truck moving down the highway or parked in a public place? Very different situations! Lol

On 10/11/2018 at 9:48 AM, Purplez(OD) said:

We are not losing the art of conversation. The, "art," or process of conversation is ever changing due to changes in language, more specifically, slang. The more diversified a language becomes, the more it changes. The English language spoken in the U.S. today versus the spoken English from the 18th century is much different, and casual conversation between the two could be difficult. The art of conversation is being lost to those who won't adapt, social media is only speeding up the adaptation process. 

As to how language affects our thinking, I am only fluent in English, and therefore don't really have a say. Whenever I try to learn or speak another language, I don't think with emotion, I'm just trying to formulate sentences and not trying to sound stupid. 

8 minutes ago, PJPotter(OD) said:

We are not losing the art of conversation. The, "art," or process of conversation is ever changing due to changes in language, more specifically, slang. The more diversified a language becomes, the more it changes. The English language spoken in the U.S. today versus the spoken English from the 18th century is much different, and casual conversation between the two could be difficult. The art of conversation is being lost to those who won't adapt, social media is only speeding up the adaptation process. 

As to how language affects our thinking, I am only fluent in English, and therefore don't really have a say. Whenever I try to learn or speak another language, I don't think with emotion, I'm just trying to formulate sentences and not trying to sound stupid. 

you haven't died of syphilis yet .. Excellent news now bring me a pie for i am famished