longlife(OD)

The Law of the Garbage Truck

Tonight, I saw a thread in Jsp https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=79397208&f=169

Here is what I thought about it (not my words, but from a book)

The Law of the Garbage Truck
How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator, for an instant you're probably set back on your heels.
However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly they can re-focus on what's important.
Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi. Here's what happened. I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when all of a sudden a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!
Here's what happened next. The driver of the OTHER car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling obscenities at US.
Now, here's what blew me away. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy.
And I mean he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that??? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" And this is when my taxi driver told me
what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck."
Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally.
Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did. I guarantee it. So this was it: The "Law of the Garbage Truck."
I started thinking: How often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me?
And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets?
It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore." I began to see garbage trucks. Like in the movie "The Sixth Sense," the little boy said, "I see Dead People."
Well, now I see Garbage Trucks. I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And, like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.
One of my favorite football players of all time, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled. He never dwelled on a hit. Payton was ready to make the next play his best.
Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting. Good parents know that they have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses.
Leaders and parents know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.
The bottom line is that successful people do not let Garbage Trucks take over their day. What about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more
garbage trucks pass you by?
Here's my bet. You'll be happier. In fact, guarantee it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This was awesome!  I've always tried to live my life this way.  When I'm feeling down, I try to make somebody smile or do silly stuff.  When somebody is rude to me, I usually get really, really polite which throws them off balance because I don't start cussing back at them.  So now, I can also call it seeing garbage trucks.  Don't let other people rule how you are going to live your life.  You are the one in charge.  Thank you for sharing this!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some garbage trucks are actually a big dumpster fire though.

And while this "philosophy" is meaningful and with good intent, it's a position of social apathy through faux-empathy as well. Society needs to continue to strive to not only become better, but to maintain whatever improvement has been made. When society starts moving backwards, apathy is going to be a hindrance and sometimes even a cause.

This philosophy does wonders for an individual, but it does society no favors. The truth is, each situation has to be handled on a case-by-case basis. You need to "pick your battles". Most of the time, the empathetic brush off like this is necessary, BUT it's important to recognize those occasions where that person really needs to be made aware of their issue. Societal improvement is best made through self-reflection, but oftentimes, self-reflection only happens at the criticism of another.

• Like 1

If the garbage man comes for your trash, do you ask for it back?

• Upvote 1

Can I ask why this is in the Diablo II sub-forum?

this topic looks like it is not only related to D2, I feel it would better fit in the water-cooler

Not being a Prick, but my OCD is itching, and we have a structure on the forums for a reason, I'd really like to try and keep the forums on topic

6 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

this topic looks like it is not only related to D2, I feel it would better fit in the water-cooler

Not being a Prick

Here, let me star this over for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Townkill(OD) said:

Here, let me star this over for you.

Wondering why Snickers didn't just do that 🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Purplez(OD) said:

Some people like to be verbose. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 4:36 PM, Purplez(OD) said:

I didn't want to move it if it really did belong in the other sub forum, I'd rather ask and have a fellow administrator concur with me than me to move it and be wrong and get 'chewed out'

It's like running for president, gotta walk on eggshells 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:29 AM, snicker66(OD) said:

I didn't want to move it if it really did belong in the other sub forum, I'd rather ask and have a fellow administrator concur with me than me to move it and be wrong and get 'chewed out'

It's like running for president, gotta walk on eggshells 

Thanks! I agree with you. yes, it is not a thread about D2. it is because of an event related to OD Clan had happened in Jsp forum. that event became an hot topic in that evening, including offence towards OD Clan and defends by some OD members. 

If this topic is not proper, please move it or delete it. 

Every time i see some fucking moron making us look bad on JSP my skin crawls.

I actually appreciate both the diablo 2 and jsp communities both.

respect the etiquette standards of JSP.

Keep other people's names the fuck out of your mouth unless you get scammed.

there aren't very many things that legitimately get TannerBallZ upset, but this is borderline.

if you're going to make an ass out of yourself on jsp, leave the fucking jsp guild. 

there's my two cents, i dont think this shit is funny.