Dreg(OD)

White & Blue PvP Ruleset idea

Posted (edited)

For a long time, I've contemplated how to make a ruleset that created a level playing field for everyone in all areas except skill and knowledge.
Here's what I've come up with.

Rule #1
-White and Blue Items only, and the only items that can be blue are Rings and Amulets.
-This means no sets, uniques, socketed items, superior items, etc.
-Charms are not allowed. In fact, the inventory has to be completely empty.
-Character must have all gear slots filled, including the second weapon/shield-tab slots. (The reason, explained later)

Rule #2
-Character has to be level 60
-This is so that
A) People aren't winning based on level advantage.
B) Most people aren't going to want to make an all-new character and level it much higher than 60. Grush and level to 60 is easy enough.

Rule #3
-For each duel, there should be an approved mediator present to do what will be dubbed a "Pike Check" for gear.
-The Mediator will be holding 5 Pikes. They will trade via trade-screen all 5 Pikes at once to the character being checked.
-The character, while still holding all 5 Pikes, must show all pieces of gear are present, including second weapon/shield-tab items.
-The 5 Pikes are returned to the mediator.
-This will prove and confirm that this player is adhering to the White/Blue gear rules.

What does everyone else think?

I think it will more than create an even playing field. It will create an entirely different meta than anything seen before. It will open up new and different builds, while shutting down or subduing some of the more mainstream ones (Hammerdin struggling to conserve mana comes to mind, while there might be a rise of Auradins and Javazons).

Edited by Dreg(OD)

@DBZ(OD) and @Membership(OD) are the leaders of the PVP squad so we'll tag him and @sunset is running the monthly PVP tournament.  Let's tag them so they see this post.  Thanks for the ideas.

It's different-I'll give it that, but have you tested it to see if it's any at all viable? 

I would do it but the fact that I'd need to level a toon to 60 just for this event makes it hard for me since that takes alot of time away from when I could actually be PvPing  hehe

An alternative to your complex mediator and trade windows (which also takes time away from pvping) you could just have the contestant submit a Picture of their Character screen after the duel or before.

We are all adults here and should honor the honor system and punish those who break the honor system.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ray(OD) said:

It's different-I'll give it that, but have you tested it to see if it's any at all viable?  

No. Not sure HOW to test it without actually just doing it lol. There's Open B.net + Hero Editor maybe, but it's not easy to connect with specific people there, because the servers are buggy.

17 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

I would do it but the fact that I'd need to level a toon to 60 just for this event makes it hard for me since that takes alot of time away from when I could actually be PvPing  hehe

And I understand. This is part of why it's 60 and not say, 80 or 85. With how this clan is good about grushing and such, it should only take about 40 minutes for the grush and another 20 minutes to hit 60. That's only an hour invested for level 60, minus skill/stat quests. I don't really think that's too much.

The way I see it, most of us have been playing this game for a decade or longer. Let's admit it, to some degree, we're a little burnt out and it would be really nice to have a completely fresh meta and experience to try. It's why I've tried LLD, untwink, Iron Man, etc. It's also why I joined this clan, to be quite frank, because it's something different than my usual "Log in- pk for an hour- get bored- log off" routine.

17 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

An alternative to your complex mediator and trade windows (which also takes time away from pvping) you could just have the contestant submit a Picture of their Character screen after the duel or before. 

We are all adults here and should honor the honor system and punish those who break the honor system.

This is true, I just wanted to lay it down as a rule so that, if a situation calls for it, it would be done. So if a player suspects cheating, they can call for a Pike Check. The Pike check isn't really that complicated though. You just take all the Pikes, then show every piece of gear. The mediator can see the items adhere to the rules and that's that. We don't have to do it every time, but it's there for the sake of when it's needed.

I was thinking maybe of allowing socketed items (But still no superior) and only allow gems to be socketed. This would open up mana-dependent builds a bit more and allow for a bit more creative wiggle room.