Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Hypotheticals - The Alien Dilemma

The Alien Dilemma  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you grant the Aliens permission to subvert one of the parallel universes to save their species?

• Yes - Allow the aliens to take one reality out of the millions available. Humanity will perish in that one reality but the alien species will survive
    • No - Protect all realities of humanity and condemn the alien species to extinction

There's something I am curious about, so I want to pose a hypothetical situation to you guys and ask you a question about it to see what kind of answers people would give.

Here's the situation.

You are abducted by aliens! 2ew2j6d.jpg But these are not evil aliens, instead they are vagabonds rendered homeless due to a terrible accident on their home planet, and in order to survive they must relocate to a new planet. Of all the planets in their reachable vicinity, Earth is the only planet in which they could adapt to support their species, if they do not use it then their race as a whole will die. However their species requires an ammonia-based atmosphere to breathe, which means transforming Earth's atmosphere to support their life would cause all humans on the planet to perish.

The aliens do not want humanity to perish, in fact they hold themselves to a strict code of honor as a species, and after much consideration they have a solution they feel is fair.

With their advanced technology the aliens show you a view of parallel universes, millions of them, with each one an instance of humanity developing from its early forms to its present era. Each parallel universe is its own reality, separate from all the others. The aliens ask you, their chosen representative of humanity, for permission to use just one of the millions of parallel universes to settle their species, in which humanity in that singular reality would be wiped out so the alien species could survive, while in all the other realities humanity would continue to exist unimpeded. Their strict code of honor requires the aliens to comply with your decision, however if you don't provide any answer at all then the aliens will simply use your current reality to settle, for lack of any better option.

Do you give the aliens your permission?

• Upvote 1

How many aliens are we talking about, and what caused the accident on their planet?

• Like 1

I'd ask the aliens to transport all the humans on the most uninhabited parallel universe to another one, then the aliens can take over the non-human universe.  No one person's life matters more than another regardless.

• Like 1

no reason we couldn't send them to Uranus or another one of our ice giants that could be converted much easier. otherwise they are SOL

• Upvote 1

No work-arounds to avoid the hard call. Has to be Earth and the aliens don't have the means to transport the humans from one reality to another, their "universe drive" doesn't have the energy to make multiple trips. One species dies no matter what.

4 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

How many aliens are we talking about, and what caused the accident on their planet?

All you have is the information there, sadly the aliens did not take a census for you.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Terra said:

All you have is the information there, sadly the aliens did not take a census for you.

I mean.. if they're not wanting to share some information then we can't trust them. For all we know they screwed their own planet up.. I mean.. has anyone even seen Independence Day? 

• Like 1

Life as we know it, has the will to survive. I say let them pick one, with the satisfaction in my head that I expect as the cockroaches my species is we will find a way to assimilate or even survive, most like via inter-species mating. They can't be any less "lonely" then us anyway at the end of the day.

So let me get this straight, they can use this "universe drive" to go to a parallel universe for Earth but not for their own planet?  If we were to assume parallel universes are a real thing that can be traversed to then all possibilities must exist in some parallel universe.  Therefore, there should exist a parallel universe where their planet is available to them.

• Upvote 1

Maybe. It's up to you to decide what to think based on the information in the first post.

Nope, On this earth and reality we have gotten to a point where cannabis is perfect and I would not let Satan herself (above) take dabs from me let alone a martian I would fire a warning nuke and if they didnt comply welcome to nuketown population you Cannabis survives I stay happy and dont murder @Aerineth(OD) from lack of thc IT COULD happen sorry aer your the easiest victim I know besides @PJPotter(OD) so We are going with option 2 no aliens no lack of weed no murder 😄 ( yes I based my choice entirely upon my ability to get cannabis )

To be honest, I would tell the aliens to look for a parallel universe in which humans don't need oxygen. In the finite curve of possible realities, there has to be one where the two species can live in the same atmosphere, therefore resolving the issue. If not, find the most technologically advanced version of us that can keep the aliens alive, and send them away to find somewhere where they can inhabit peacefully.