Terra

Automatic DSL resets

We have been aware for some time now that logging into the website consistently to reset DSL has been an inconvenience, both for new members who don't want to bother doing it as well as for Squads and Divisions who were having troubles recruiting and retaining members because of it. Most of you are aware that we set up a system for D2 that allowed their DSL to be reset automatically, but in actuality this is something we want to provide for all Squads and Divisions, both present and future. Particularly after a number of Divisions reported DSL logins as being the major challenge they were facing, we have put a major focus on getting a workable system for automatically resetting DSL for everyone.

At the moment our website coders have only finished an automatic reset for Discord, but we are going to do our best to try and create methods for both Teamspeak and Steam as well, if we can.

Automatic DSL Reset for Discord

To get Discord to automatically reset your DSL -- go to Console -> Third Party Integrations -> Link Discord -> Click the "Link with Discord!" button

What this does

Once you click the Link with Discord button this will tell the website to send your (OD) name to a Discord bot we have. Once a day if the bot sees your OD name enter a voice chat on Discord OR enter a message in a text chat, it will reset your DSL. When it resets your DSL it will send you a message notifying you that your DSL was reset so that you can be certain it has worked correctly. The bot will also tell you if you have any pending private messages on the website as well.

You must use your official OD name on Discord, including the (OD) tag, or it will not work.

If you get a "bad state" error then just click the "Link with Discord!" button again, it should eventually work.

Automatic DSL Reset for Steam

To get Discord to automatically reset your DSL -- go to Console -> Third Party Integrations -> Link Steam -> Click the "Sign into Steam" button -> Log into your Steam account

What this does

Once you log into your Steam account on the site this will set the website to automatically reset your DSL every time you use Steam, or play a game through Steam. In addition it will add a link next to your name on the members page allowing people to link to your Steam profile. An easy way to find your fellow members and add them to your Steam friends list.

Unlike Discord your Steam name doesn't need to be based on your OD name, it can still be whatever you want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: You can use the Integration Overview button (under third party integrations) to view what networks you are currently linked to, and to unlink yourself from any of them if you want.

Please praise Snipedragon and Hikato as your saviors for setting this up. Hikato set up the bot and Snipedragon designed the system on our website.

Bravo Bravo @SnipeDragon(OD) and @hikato  You guys just totally rock to get that major change into place.  We'd love to get people coming to overdosed.net and the forums, but hey we don't like people dsling out either.

Make sure you patent your coding, cuz I'm sure others will want it!

Yes that has been such a great help to our guys and girls too that like terra said could not be bothered to log on for all 2 seconds because that's all it takes well done guys for all your hard work :) 

Thanks everyone!  The DSL bot on Discord seems to be doing its thing so far, so remember to link your account.  If you have any issues doing so, please let us know.

And thank you to @SnipeDragon(OD) for a solid set up with the Discord integration!

Coming next will be Steam Integration and DSL resets based off of your steam activity.  I have been working on this the past few days and will post more as I have more to share.  After Steam will most likely be our Teamspeak integration, though that is tentative right now.

• Like 1

Automatic DSL reset for Steam is live now, members can now link to their Steam profiles on the website, which will also add a button next to their name on the members page that will link to their Steam profile. Members can use this to more easily find and add other members to their friends list.

I really like the integration, but the DSL reset just seems like another way for people to not log into the website (a.k.a. not look at trial / member promotions and vote as well, or handing out medals for higher ups).

Just my two cents on it. Regardless, well done on the work for the integration. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MooMoo(OD) said:

I really like the integration, but the DSL reset just seems like another way for people to not log into the website (a.k.a. not look at trial / member promotions and vote as well, or handing out medals for higher ups).

Just my two cents on it. Regardless, well done on the work for the integration. 

There's a ton of members that only go to the site just to log in.  If they don't have any interest in looking at trial members or promotions, how they reset their DSL likely won't make any difference.

Edited by Hikato

4 hours ago, Hikato said:

There's a ton of members that only go to the site just to log in.  If they don't have any interest in looking at trial members or promotions, how they reset their DSL likely won't make any difference.

I agree with hikato here. While having every member we ever recruit go to the website and check things like Promotions; Trial Members; Website News; Etc... would be great. But, not every member is going to have an interest in our community past the gaming and friendship aspect. Which honestly is fine in my opinion. From time to time we'll see the members that put in the extra initiative and check the website consistently for updates and put in the extra effort and general go above and beyond in the community. Those are the members that become our future officers, generals and maybe someday commanders.  

Update: ODD2 no longer has access to this feature. 

We're aware of that, and we're taking steps to try and correct it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

18 hours ago, Ray(OD) said:

Update: ODD2 no longer has access to this feature. 

My bot is back in the channel until the final version of the DSL script is active.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hikato said:

My bot is back in the channel until the final version of the DSL script is active.

Thanks tyler 🙂 il spam it again on my bot 🙂

Lov ya Tyler ❤️

• Like 1

@Hikato @R.agnarok(OD) Thank you both for the work put in on the DSL scripts.....its working perfectly on our side...much appreciated

On 7/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, Hikato said:

Awesome!  Thanks so much.

The community can hopefully retain more casual gamers this way!

Is there any special reason as to why only @R.agnarok(OD) and @Hikato the script? or can we get it onto all the channel ops positions so that the script is always running?

• Upvote 1

The dsl reset script is active in the mod bots now thanks again to rag and hikato

Teamspeak will now automatically reset DSL when you log into it, courtesy of R.ganarok. No synchronizing required, it's set up to look for names matching those on the member list on our website. We'll be adding onto the function at a later time to include resetting DSL when a person moves channels as well, for those of you who tend to stay logged into Teamspeak.

Also the Discord reset bot should be back up now, and should remain up more or less permanently going forward. (I know you were asking about this @PoPs(OD) ) You guys can thank Rag for that one too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @R.agnarok(OD), resident OD coder with nothing more to gain from it but our thanks and hopefully time to time some experience from it. ;))))))

He knows if he finishes it himself then he won't be stuck listening to me complaining all the time about how it never got done. This is a strong motivator.

• Upvote 1

Huge thank you!

rag.thumb.jpg.0a419fa5c8afdbcfda7a409d1c473f8f.jpg

• Like 1

This will make many peeplz happy well done! 😄