Terra

Discord and Eggplants

27 posts in this topic

Things I would like to personally stress as points of incredibly importance of this incident are

1. While this incident eventually turned out not to be what it originally seemed. It's still important to understand that the root cause could have been avoided if as a community we treated each other better and didn't try to poke fun at people that appear to be "easy targets". We're all here to have fun and enjoy games together ans socialize as a community. But, we still have to remember that behind the computer screens and keyboard are people. People that you may not know very well. Some you may know like family. Always keep in mind that the audience your interacting with may not enjoy the same types of humor and playing around as you do. To others jokes some may find funny could be perceived as a troll, or general BM. 
  2. Rose was not at all involved in this incident until she was forced to be during the investigation and the aftermath of the punishments that were brought upon the accused members. The take away from this should be something that a lot of people don't always consider. Just because you think something is wrong doesn't mean you have the right to report it. In this case, many of these issues and the situation as a whole would have been viewed and handled differently if the person reporting the matter simply talked to the person they feared was being sexually harassed. Not only did they take away their right to decide if they wanted to come forward or not. But, they decided that the person was the victim of what is very serious and in cases can be called a crime. We need to remember always that respect is something we should give to people first and foremost. By taking choices away from people in situations like this. You're putting someone in a corner they never chose to be in.
  3. Consider everyone before you make accusations of this magnitude, Accusations like these aren't easy to take back and in some cases impossible. A false accusation of like this could lead to ruining someones life. Things on the internet can spread like wildfire and it's very easy to paint a bad picture of someone. But much harder to remove that paint once it's dry.

TLDR: We;re all human, try and consider a person and how they might react to you before you do/say something. Never take the right to report such a serious offense away from the person that you believe to be victimized. 

Edited by Xayj(OD)
  • Like 1

I had reluctantly accepted the previous decisions, but I am glad to see this has been sorted out. "Gamer trolling" is commonplace in a gaming community, and I think some of us need to remember that this is a place to goof around and have fun. If you're uncomfortable or upset by someone messing with you or having fun at your expense (or at the expense of another), then you should PM that person and let them know how you feel. I think you will find that people are reasonable and that honest and open communication can solve most problems.

To anyone looking to torpedo someone's reputation or push an agenda based on personal grievances, know that in the future you will see a much more aggressive response to your actions. This shit isn't cool to do and is not welcome in this community.

Now that all of that's been said... anyone who decided to judge me or anyone else after hearing only one side of the story should be ashamed of themselves.

Sounds like the OD leadership did a good job of containing this and sorting it through and the matter can be put to rest.  I agree with Collin.  Try the personal approach first.  Be kind to each other and let your gaming time be the fun time and stress release we all seek.  Remember, putting smiles on peoples faces puts less wrinkles on yours!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

I want to start of by saying that this whole situation could have been avoided if we opened up more and talked to each other instead of spreading rumors or falsities around like wildfire. If you have a question about something someone did or how something was handled. Then go to the person directly and talk to them. Ask them their intentions, ask them the reasoning behind what was done or said. Build your own opinion based off information you have collected. Do not let someone control your narrative and decide for you what could be done. I want this to be something we can all laugh about in the distant future and say remember that one time we all let ourselves get riled up.. It was crazy!! 

Furthermore I want to say that sexual harassment should not be tolerated in any fashion and if you feel someone has done something to wrong another member talk to them first. Talk to the person that was wronged in your eyes. Ask them if they would like to pursue it. But for all gods glory do not go on your own personal crusade and start a shit storm. Do not speak for someone or act on behalf of someone especially without their consent. Sexual harassment allegations are a very serious allegation and they will not be handled lightly. In the same breath do not try to abuse the system.

Could not have said it much better myself. 

I suppose I’m kind of expected to stop hiding from everyone and speak now ahahaha..

This whole situation is kind of mind boggling and has really opened my eyes about some things here. I don’t understand how this situation spread so quickly without any party contacting me before punishments were made.. Or even before the allegation and report was given to the Commanders. I never once felt uncomfortable (in terms of sexual harassment or harassment of any kind) with any of the actions made by the affected parties and I really hate that this had all accelerated so quickly without viable communication between everyone. I have no targets placed on anyone, I have no hatred towards anyone in this community, and I certainly don’t wish to just come up with things that will get people removed; I’ve heard all of these allegations during the past 3-4 days, including stabs at my leadership ability and the functionality of my division.

OD is my home, my family away from my family, and the people I know I can go to if I am ever having any kind of hardship (gaming related or IRL). It hurts greatly to know how negatively people spoke of me because of an allegation I had no piece in, I was seriously debating just leaving so that I wouldn’t be a hassle to anyone involved. To those who have reached out to me and offered me kind words and love, to those who offered me an escape that I could de-stress in, thank you :) I also want to give kudos to the Commanders for working so hard to right the wrongs created and for getting to the bottom of all of this. To those affected, I’ve already sent you an apology for this mess caused in my name because I feel bad that it was under my name that this was all caused. I don’t expect anything back, I know that most of you still have some negativity towards me for all of this, but I want you to know where I am coming from.

Harassment is a serious issue, sexual harassment is even worse and something no one should have to go through. I’ve been there, I’ve done that. While it’s not a joke, I don’t think it’s right for anyone to go ahead and spread information and allegations like that without the permission of the person it is affecting… or even confirming if it is being taken like that. Most issues can be solved with communication, and I hope that in the future we can learn from this and learn to talk to each other before letting a situation explode as it has now.

Back to the shadows I go :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I don’t understand how this situation spread so quickly without any party contacting me before punishments were made.. Or even before the allegation and report was given to the Commanders.

Good fucking question.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Collin(OD) said:

Good fucking question.

But you sir can compare responses in our pm, from Terra, the lack of an aerineth response, franks, and Dave's or mine. Then look at most of the rest. We're no different then them, the star just explains some of our experiences before hand.

2 hours ago, Collin(OD) said:

Good fucking question.

agree with this i must

id like to see or hear more about the path taken to the decision

I think it's obvious that mistakes were made by many involved, and any wrongs have been made right.  It's very clear that the path to resolution wasn't the best (nor the easiest) and it will definitely be a learning experience for all of us, so I can't say I'm interested in any more information than we already have (especially if it may lead to more pitchfork/torches).

I'm glad everything sorted itself out, and that nobody (including myself) made any rash decisions based on what happened and we can all enjoy each others company.

• Like 1

If even Hikato is taking the high road, that's when you know it's time to move on. 30lo281.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Collin(OD) said:

I don’t understand how this situation spread so quickly without any party contacting me before punishments were made.. Or even before the allegation and report was given to the Commanders.

i would also like to know why was i not contacted by anyone about this knowing i  had spoken to about this it was not until next day me and dabomb spoke just glad this has been sorted out ......... 

17 hours ago, Hikato said:

and any wrongs have been made right. 

That's only because you made @Atrayas(OD) a mini bike last night and got him out from being so far from home, and back to base. 

Glad the situation was taken care of. 

6 hours ago, Terra said:

If even Hikato is taking the high road, that's when you know it's time to move on. 30lo281.png

I was told it was a high horse, but meh.

Less talk, moar adult minecraft.  Got more minibikes to make, right @SupremeJester @Atrayas(OD)?

48 minutes ago, Hikato said:

I was told it was a high horse, but meh.

Less talk, moar adult minecraft.  Got more minibikes to make, right @SupremeJester @Atrayas(OD)?

I have a whole town to scavenge those dogs won't keep killing me forever.  Though I'm pretty upset that I lost 40 bullets last night.  @Atrayas(OD) has my back once we get that chemical lab. 

@Terra When someone apologizes, why poke fun that they humbled themselves? 

2018:

Word: Balance.

Saying: Rise Above.

1 hour ago, SupremeJester said:

@Terra When someone apologizes, why poke fun that they humbled themselves?

When did I do that? You mean Hikato? I wouldn't have said it if I thought it would bother him.

If I was wrong then sorry for hurting your feelings, Hikato. I'll make sure Aerineth is available for cake and counseling if you need him.

4 minutes ago, Terra said:

When did I do that? You mean Hikato? I wouldn't have said it if I thought it would bother him.

If I was wrong then sorry for hurting your feelings, Hikato. I'll make sure Aerineth is available for cake and counseling if you need him.

I'm sure you wouldn't have.  But in your position you never know, people wouldn't be as willing to speak up against a commander.  But this is neither here nor there because I don't think he is offended.  However I do want some cake, so @Aerineth(OD) where you at boooyyyyeeeee.  

Edited by SupremeJester

Man you are turning my ice-breaker moment into something so melancholic. Relax, I wasn't picking some random person for a public roast, I was teasing someone whom I knew quite well and I already knew wouldn't be bothered by it. If a person in my position isn't allowed a little sense of humor once and a while then I'll have nothing left but my charming and irresistable smile to define me.

1st rule we teach in Swtor: *The cake is a lie.* - hahaha

4 hours ago, Sassy said:

i would also like to know why was i not contacted by anyone about this knowing i  had spoken to about this it was not until next day me and dabomb spoke just glad this has been sorted out ......... 

Indeed.. I'd really like to know why communication wasn't made - this could have prevented the entire situation from snowballing and continued misinformed rude behavior from still occurring now.

• Like 1

I'd wager too much communication was had. Just not enough by the people who could or would have solved it, at least not as much as those perpetuating anything relayed to them at lightning keystrokes and at any expense of shame.

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Man you are turning my ice-breaker moment into something so melancholic. Relax, I wasn't picking some random person for a public roast, I was teasing someone whom I knew quite well and I already knew wouldn't be bothered by it. If a person in my position isn't allowed a little sense of humor once and a while then I'll have nothing left but my charming and irresistable smile to define me.

At least you always have that smile on your side. ;) 

4 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Indeed.. I'd really like to know why communication wasn't made - this could have prevented the entire situation from snowballing and continued misinformed rude behavior from still occurring now.

This is why we reversed the original consequences, and why Badboi is apologizing. It is just like Hikato said, a lot of mistakes were made on many sides, the Commanders made a mistake as well. We didn't talk to as many people as we should have initially, we weren't fully aware of the need to do so. We didn't think to doubt the person's claims about your intentions, and we didn't know Sassy was mad. It wasn't really just simple carelessness, there were plenty of reasons for us to think that way, but none of them are *really* justification for the mistake so there's no point in me getting into them. Sorry that it caused you more hardship, if it's any consolation it caused us a lot of extra hardship as well.

I like to think that we don't make mistakes often, I can't remember the last time we collectively made a mistake. But for all our time, experience, and knowledge we are as human as everyone else, and we're not perfect. Sometimes mistakes will happen, and if we are expecting a leadership that never makes any then I can only wish everyone the best of luck in their journey to find one. In the meantime, we are capable of recognizing our own mistakes, correcting ourselves, and taking responsibility for it. Which at least might be the next best thing in the absence of flawlessness.

• Like 1