snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

159 posts in this topic

These are just public messages right? Not personal ones I hope.

So in other words it serves as a channel/ops bot like d2?

1 minute ago, Onee(OD) said:

These are just public messages right? Not personal ones I hope.

So in other words it serves as a channel/ops bot like d2?

Right, Think of it like a D2 channel bot. No, we can not spy on your private conversations unless you let us....lol In fact, the bot technically can be blocked from seeing certain channels if we really wanted to. So it's not like the entire server would be under big brothers eye. But again, the bot doesn't currently exist on the server and we haven't fully discussed what the bot would monitor yet either. The message was created preemptively. 

2 hours ago, Xayj(OD) said:

Right, Think of it like a D2 channel bot. No, we can not spy on your private conversations unless you let us....lol In fact, the bot technically can be blocked from seeing certain channels if we really wanted to. So it's not like the entire server would be under big brothers eye. But again, the bot doesn't currently exist on the server and we haven't fully discussed what the bot would monitor yet either. The message was created preemptively. 

Thanks for the clarification :hugging:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onee(OD) said:

Thanks for the clarification :hugging:

Glad to be of assistance.

Hey

check out linus's video about this topic

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Hey

check out linus's video about this topic

I saw that video a while ago, but other than "don't use skype", there wasn't much useful differentiation between teamspeak and discord... What it really comes down to, at this point I believe, is how we can manipulate the options as to closely resemble what we have in teamspeak as much as possible, and from what I gather, @R.agnarok(OD) is working with @Aerineth(OD) and @Xayj(OD) on resolving that currently...

6 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I saw that video a while ago, but other than "don't use skype", there wasn't much useful differentiation between teamspeak and discord... What it really comes down to, at this point I believe, is how we can manipulate the options as to closely resemble what we have in teamspeak as much as possible, and from what I gather, @R.agnarok(OD) is working with @Aerineth(OD) and @Xayj(OD) on resolving that currently...

How can you manipulate it to join multiple chats?

Pretty sure you won't until they change the core program not be making a call as chatting. Lulz

Actually there are many varying applications for Discord.  In another community known as the CivPlayers Leagues, they have a multitude of bots that handle a huge array of functions from roles to managing multiple script lines for communication purposes.  I would like to also mention that for Teamspeak to use these same bots for the same functions - you would need a bot in every single channel that wants to utilize it --- In discord, you only need 1 bot for its function.

Discord is also updated very regularly and given tons of love and attention from its developers as well as the community at large that utilizes it.  There is also the obvious benefit of discord being a free service, which would free up funds currently being used to maintain the Teamspeak server.  Over time we will eventually see Discord possess everything utility wise Teamspeak does and much more - and likely at a rapid pace.

One of the largest reasons to use Discord over Teamspeak is Sound Quality.  It's easier to understand and communicate with others using Discord than it is Teamspeak - this is likely again due to how much attention Discord devs give their "product".

More and more people in the gaming world are flocking to discord, and as some have said earlier in this thread -- People are no longer wanting to use things like Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or Skype [ugh].  Moving forward in this manner as a community would appeal further to the players for various games that are turned off due to the VOIP being used.  I honestly believe that moving forward with the gaming community at large would be a benefit to both Overdosed as a community as well as to all of the Divisions and Squads individually.  For something that is free to fully utilize, in addition to the potential benefits that could come from it with no downsides - I see no reason why we shouldn't hop on this.