snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

These are just public messages right? Not personal ones I hope.

So in other words it serves as a channel/ops bot like d2?

1 minute ago, Onee(OD) said:

These are just public messages right? Not personal ones I hope.

So in other words it serves as a channel/ops bot like d2?

Right, Think of it like a D2 channel bot. No, we can not spy on your private conversations unless you let us....lol In fact, the bot technically can be blocked from seeing certain channels if we really wanted to. So it's not like the entire server would be under big brothers eye. But again, the bot doesn't currently exist on the server and we haven't fully discussed what the bot would monitor yet either. The message was created preemptively. 

2 hours ago, Xayj(OD) said:

Right, Think of it like a D2 channel bot. No, we can not spy on your private conversations unless you let us....lol In fact, the bot technically can be blocked from seeing certain channels if we really wanted to. So it's not like the entire server would be under big brothers eye. But again, the bot doesn't currently exist on the server and we haven't fully discussed what the bot would monitor yet either. The message was created preemptively. 

Thanks for the clarification :hugging:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onee(OD) said:

Thanks for the clarification :hugging:

Glad to be of assistance.

Hey

check out linus's video about this topic

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Hey

check out linus's video about this topic

I saw that video a while ago, but other than "don't use skype", there wasn't much useful differentiation between teamspeak and discord... What it really comes down to, at this point I believe, is how we can manipulate the options as to closely resemble what we have in teamspeak as much as possible, and from what I gather, @R.agnarok(OD) is working with @Aerineth(OD) and @Xayj(OD) on resolving that currently...

6 hours ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

I saw that video a while ago, but other than "don't use skype", there wasn't much useful differentiation between teamspeak and discord... What it really comes down to, at this point I believe, is how we can manipulate the options as to closely resemble what we have in teamspeak as much as possible, and from what I gather, @R.agnarok(OD) is working with @Aerineth(OD) and @Xayj(OD) on resolving that currently...

How can you manipulate it to join multiple chats?

Pretty sure you won't until they change the core program not be making a call as chatting. Lulz

Actually there are many varying applications for Discord.  In another community known as the CivPlayers Leagues, they have a multitude of bots that handle a huge array of functions from roles to managing multiple script lines for communication purposes.  I would like to also mention that for Teamspeak to use these same bots for the same functions - you would need a bot in every single channel that wants to utilize it --- In discord, you only need 1 bot for its function.

Discord is also updated very regularly and given tons of love and attention from its developers as well as the community at large that utilizes it.  There is also the obvious benefit of discord being a free service, which would free up funds currently being used to maintain the Teamspeak server.  Over time we will eventually see Discord possess everything utility wise Teamspeak does and much more - and likely at a rapid pace.

One of the largest reasons to use Discord over Teamspeak is Sound Quality.  It's easier to understand and communicate with others using Discord than it is Teamspeak - this is likely again due to how much attention Discord devs give their "product".

More and more people in the gaming world are flocking to discord, and as some have said earlier in this thread -- People are no longer wanting to use things like Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or Skype [ugh].  Moving forward in this manner as a community would appeal further to the players for various games that are turned off due to the VOIP being used.  I honestly believe that moving forward with the gaming community at large would be a benefit to both Overdosed as a community as well as to all of the Divisions and Squads individually.  For something that is free to fully utilize, in addition to the potential benefits that could come from it with no downsides - I see no reason why we shouldn't hop on this.

I personally prefer discord for a few reasons. 

•Sound quality is much better than other platforms available atm. 

•There is rarely ever any reverb on discord which is nice when I have my headphones on. 

•The privileges in discord are more apparent with the color codes.  

•Discord offers high functionality to be incorporated with multiple games.

•Discord shows what game someone is playing.

•Discord offers bots that can be scripted to do about anything you need done.  ( I can provide scripts if ever needed)

•Discord is free...

Until something better comes along I don't see new gamers using older voice platforms.  You have to look at it like you have never used teamspeak, ventrilo or whatever other voice platform you are used to.  If you started today with no knowledge of any of those you would most likely go with discord for the above reasons and for the simple fact that almost all gamers are gravitating to discord as there all in one community platform.  

I help develop on eqemulator.org and while they still have forums almost all of there communication is done through discord now.  Thats a massive project that is almost solely managed through discord.  They made the switch last year and everyone loves it.

So my question is...what are we waiting for?  Make the switch.  No sense separating the clan into two platforms when we could all be on the same platform.

• Like 2

- Are there ways to distinguish members between divisions (such as the "main game" icons in ts)? 

- Without the in-channel chat window, I would imagine it to be overwhelmingly difficult for those without a Mic to communicate with others in the group. In teamspeak they can type and listen to reponses without anyone having to leave game to switch channels and read what they asked... this could be a problem... also for those that have a Logitech keyboard with a built-in screen, does discord have a similar type of plug-in ?

Hi all,

Just adding my 2cents here as a new member. I'm a 31-year-old gamer who has been a part of multiple gaming communities over the years and I think discord wins out over teamspeak everytime.

1. It requires no download -- which means new and old members can easily access the channels INSTANTLY from their browser if they choose.(not all of us like to download stuff)

2. It SHOWS you which games other members are currently playing if they decide to select that option.

3. It feels more lightweight and lag free -- this is just a feeling, I have no data to prove this.

4. It has way more functionality -- you can have music bots, trivia bots, game bots, you name it. Members can sit in a music channel and request songs and all jam out to the same music while they're playing etc. Oh yeah... it also has SCREEN SHARING and VIDEO CHAT functions... uwot8?

These are just a couple of reasons why I prefer discord over teamspeak. 

57 minutes ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

- Are there ways to distinguish members between divisions (such as the "main game" icons in ts)? 

- Without the in-channel chat window, I would imagine it to be overwhelmingly difficult for those without a Mic to communicate with others in the group. In teamspeak they can type and listen to reponses without anyone having to leave game to switch channels and read what they asked... this could be a problem... also for those that have a Logitech keyboard with a built-in screen, does discord have a similar type of plug-in ?

There's not a way to do it with icons. But, We could make it so the member list sorts and shows people by division rather by rank if we wanted to and it was important to people. Rank will then just become synonymous with the color assigned to that rank. 

Can you explain further what you mean by "in-channel" chat window? Discord has a chat window with your selected chat channel open at all times that lets you view and type in it regardless of what you're doing. In fact, some people including myself wish this was something you had the option to minimize if you wanted to at times.

As far as the Logitech keyboard I can happily tell you that discord has some amazing built in support specifically for logitech keyboards. It has amazing Logitech Gaming Software integration. I haven't used it beyond it's ability to change my keyboards color. But, yes. Discord has support for Logitech. Any support that's not added you can add via Pluggins that are provided by the community much like with teamspeak. 

1 hour ago, Atrayas(OD) said:

I personally prefer discord for a few reasons. 

•Sound quality is much better than other platforms available atm. 

•There is rarely ever any reverb on discord which is nice when I have my headphones on. 

•The privileges in discord are more apparent with the color codes.  

•Discord offers high functionality to be incorporated with multiple games.

•Discord shows what game someone is playing.

•Discord offers bots that can be scripted to do about anything you need done.  ( I can provide scripts if ever needed)

•Discord is free...

Until something better comes along I don't see new gamers using older voice platforms.  You have to look at it like you have never used teamspeak, ventrilo or whatever other voice platform you are used to.  If you started today with no knowledge of any of those you would most likely go with discord for the above reasons and for the simple fact that almost all gamers are gravitating to discord as there all in one community platform.  

I help develop on eqemulator.org and while they still have forums almost all of there communication is done through discord now.  Thats a massive project that is almost solely managed through discord.  They made the switch last year and everyone loves it.

So my question is...what are we waiting for?  Make the switch.  No sense separating the clan into two platforms when we could all be on the same platform.

As far as your question @R.agnarok(OD) is best suited right now to answer as he's taken lead of the project. 

1 hour ago, Rygor(OD) said:

Hi all,

Just adding my 2cents here as a new member. I'm a 31-year-old gamer who has been a part of multiple gaming communities over the years and I think discord wins out over teamspeak everytime.

1. It requires no download -- which means new and old members can easily access the channels INSTANTLY from their browser if they choose.(not all of us like to download stuff)

2. It SHOWS you which games other members are currently playing if they decide to select that option.

3. It feels more lightweight and lag free -- this is just a feeling, I have no data to prove this.

4. It has way more functionality -- you can have music bots, trivia bots, game bots, you name it. Members can sit in a music channel and request songs and all jam out to the same music while they're playing etc. Oh yeah... it also has SCREEN SHARING and VIDEO CHAT functions... uwot8?

These are just a couple of reasons why I prefer discord over teamspeak. 

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to come and comment on this topic. Regardless of whether you're a brand new fresh baby member or a member with 10+ years under your belt. We value your comment and it's always worth taking the time to join the discussion if you feel like you have something to add.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Regardless of the platform that ultimately wins out in the end, I see one major elephant in the room. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but if you have certain groups/division on Teamspeak and some on Discord, you have effectively split the community up in a way. This may not be a big deal to some as not everyone is involved with people outside of their division, however.

There is a certain appeal to seeing a "big" and "busy" Teamspeak. People enjoying being a part of an active, vibrant clan even if they aren't all playing the same game. There is a certain satisfaction you get when you hop on the Teamspeak and see a ton of people online. The optics just look good, especially to people considering joining. I have a lot of first hand evidence where I have seen dead websites/teamspeak servers scare off potential members. They see that there aren't many people around and they mentally check out and move on without a second thought. Marketing and perceived image are as important to a clan as a real life club or business. You go to a bar or other social outing and see nobody there, you generally don't stay long and move on to the next place.

We already know a large amount of people log in only because they are required to, and even fewer probably read the forums. They cut themselves out of some of the community events, clan meetings, and other important community building activities by not reading the website or forums, and now they may put a bigger barrier up to getting relevant information by being on a different server than the main one. 

Just an extra couple things to maybe consider.