snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

154 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

my voice in discord desided to not work AT ALL

 

On second thought, maybe Discord isn't such a bad idea after all.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Terra said:

 

On second thought, maybe Discord isn't such a bad idea after all.

ROFLMAO. I must admit, you deserve +1 for that one(even if my goal is to try and catch you). Also we need to add a new OD Award. Best Forum quote. When nominating, must present a link to the quote in question so that when voting on the award, we get to decide which is best.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DarkHelmet said:

ROFLMAO. I must admit, you deserve +1 for that one(even if my goal is to try and catch you). Also we need to add a new OD Award. Best Forum quote. When nominating, must present a link to the quote in question so that when voting on the award, we get to decide which is best.

 

You realize this award is most likely just going to end up turning into best forum troll, right? lmao. It's going to be hilarious. But, it's still going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Terra said:

 

On second thought, maybe Discord isn't such a bad idea after all.

damn you terra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done some talking with some of the community of Final Fanatasy, and can give those asking a better answer as to why people in Final Fantasy won't use Teamspeak. One of them hangs out with us in Discord pretty much every night.

 

For those that are unaware, Final Fantasy XIV is cross platform. Meaning that players on the Playstation 4 also play with us on the PC. I can fire up my PS4 copy of FFXIV and play ARR (not Stormblood since I don't have the expansions for console) and play with all of our PC players. Essentially speaking, this is a huge area that OD hasn't been very successful in the past with. Console gaming never worked out in the past. But it poses a unique challenge now. We can still play together, which solves that piece of the puzzle, but how will we talk to them?

 

Unless they get Teamspeak or Discord for their phone, then the majority of players won't be able to use it. Some still use Discord/Teamspeak on their laptop/PC beside them, but not all. Being that Teamspeaks mobile app costs money, that's an instant turn off for many people. Discord however is free. And that's where most people will choose Discord instead of Teamspeak in Final Fantasy.

 

I'm sure there are other reasons why they choose Discord, but that's a pretty big one in my opinion, and helps better understand why mentioning Teamspeak has made some users instantly stop talking to us.

 

This is a unique challenge for Division Leadership to overcome, and one I am intrigued on how we will effectively overcome. Looking to the future, there are bound to be other cross platform games that will undoubtedly run into this problem. So we will be pioneering this aspect in trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

I have done some talking with some of the community of Final Fanatasy, and can give those asking a better answer as to why people in Final Fantasy won't use Teamspeak. One of them hangs out with us in Discord pretty much every night.

 

For those that are unaware, Final Fantasy XIV is cross platform. Meaning that players on the Playstation 4 also play with us on the PC. I can fire up my PS4 copy of FFXIV and play ARR (not Stormblood since I don't have the expansions for console) and play with all of our PC players. Essentially speaking, this is a huge area that OD hasn't been very successful in the past with. Console gaming never worked out in the past. But it poses a unique challenge now. We can still play together, which solves that piece of the puzzle, but how will we talk to them?

 

Unless they get Teamspeak or Discord for their phone, then the majority of players won't be able to use it. Some still use Discord/Teamspeak on their laptop/PC beside them, but not all. Being that Teamspeaks mobile app costs money, that's an instant turn off for many people. Discord however is free. And that's where most people will choose Discord instead of Teamspeak in Final Fantasy.

 

I'm sure there are other reasons why they choose Discord, but that's a pretty big one in my opinion, and helps better understand why mentioning Teamspeak has made some users instantly stop talking to us.

 

This is a unique challenge for Division Leadership to overcome, and one I am intrigued on how we will effectively overcome. Looking to the future, there are bound to be other cross platform games that will undoubtedly run into this problem. So we will be pioneering this aspect in trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

I just wrote a massive essay about this in docs.. and went to post it and found a wild Aerineth.. *goes back into hiding*

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I just wrote a massive essay about this in docs.. and went to post it and found a wild Aerineth.. *goes back into hiding*

 

You're still free to post anything I may have missed though =P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I just wrote a massive essay about this in docs.. and went to post it and found a wild Aerineth.. *goes back into hiding*

"Wild Aerineth". Pokemon must be strong within you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

I have done some talking with some of the community of Final Fanatasy, and can give those asking a better answer as to why people in Final Fantasy won't use Teamspeak. One of them hangs out with us in Discord pretty much every night.

 

For those that are unaware, Final Fantasy XIV is cross platform. Meaning that players on the Playstation 4 also play with us on the PC. I can fire up my PS4 copy of FFXIV and play ARR (not Stormblood since I don't have the expansions for console) and play with all of our PC players. Essentially speaking, this is a huge area that OD hasn't been very successful in the past with. Console gaming never worked out in the past. But it poses a unique challenge now. We can still play together, which solves that piece of the puzzle, but how will we talk to them?

 

Unless they get Teamspeak or Discord for their phone, then the majority of players won't be able to use it. Some still use Discord/Teamspeak on their laptop/PC beside them, but not all. Being that Teamspeaks mobile app costs money, that's an instant turn off for many people. Discord however is free. And that's where most people will choose Discord instead of Teamspeak in Final Fantasy.

 

I'm sure there are other reasons why they choose Discord, but that's a pretty big one in my opinion, and helps better understand why mentioning Teamspeak has made some users instantly stop talking to us.

 

This is a unique challenge for Division Leadership to overcome, and one I am intrigued on how we will effectively overcome. Looking to the future, there are bound to be other cross platform games that will undoubtedly run into this problem. So we will be pioneering this aspect in trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

What is the cost of the teamspeak app? I guess I could look it up but do you know off hand how much it costs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like 5 bucks or something. I can't go look since I bought it like  a scrub.

 

But you can't reasonably expect someone to fork over 5 bucks or any amount of money just to play with us. That's unrealistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only like discord better because of the name. Lets all be fair and say we play in the name of discord and chaos. If OD chooses only the loyal will follow.

 

dis·cord
ˈdiskôrd/
noun
 
  1. 1. 
    disagreement between people.
    a prosperous family who showed no signs of discord, or as POPS says...GET OFF MY LAWN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still going on? Lol. Stop living in the past and use discord. (Change isn't that scary Chris) Alright I will be back in another year TTYL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

What is the cost of the teamspeak app? I guess I could look it up but do you know off hand how much it costs?

Teamspeak app costs money?  I don't ever remember paying for it but I might have purchased it back around 2009 or 2010 and just lost record of the purchase.

 

I have had my own chat server on Discord for over a year now as I use it to game with my nephew at times or he will join when I am streaming races in Formula 1 or Raceroom Racing Experience and we talk.  He likes it because he can see when I am streaming and knows to come check out my races and make fun of me.  I installed it on my iPad as well and it is even easier to use than the app version of Teamspeak which might actually be why people like Discord more.

 

I'm still fine with whatever we decide to use.  But unless Teamspeak is going to upgrade there platform to handle some of the nice features available in discord, my vote would still go for Discord if we were to vote on what to use.

Edited by KaziusDTP(OD)
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KaziusDTP(OD) said:

Teamspeak app costs money?  I don't ever remember paying for it but I might have purchased it back around 2009 or 2010 and just lost record of the purchase.

 

I have had my own chat server on Discord for over a year now as I use it to game with my nephew at times or he will join when I am streaming races in Formula 1 or Raceroom Racing Experience and we talk.  He likes it because he can see when I am streaming and knows to come check out my races and make fun of me.  I installed it on my iPad as well and it is even easier to use than the app version of Teamspeak which might actually be why people like Discord more.

 

I'm still fine with whatever we decide to use.  But unless Teamspeak is going to upgrade there platform to handle some of the nice features available in discord, my vote would still go for Discord if we were to vote on what to use.

Yeah, you have to pay for the app. It's $2 for me, but I still wouldn't even buy it (I only use TS because OD still uses it..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

It's like 5 bucks or something. I can't go look since I bought it like  a scrub.

 

But you can't reasonably expect someone to fork over 5 bucks or any amount of money just to play with us. That's unrealistic.

oh I checked its 1.99 .. I thought it was going to be crazy expensive or something. But ya know.. cannot expect people to pay or anything.. I remember buying the app on my phone but I couldn't for the life of me remember how much I paid. Some find that crazy expensive but I don't think it should be considered a huge problem I am certain 90% of the community has the mobile app. Since I am the most familiar with D2 I can say that for sure for them. We always used the mobile app when not at home. 

9 hours ago, KaziusDTP(OD) said:

Teamspeak app costs money?  I don't ever remember paying for it but I might have purchased it back around 2009 or 2010 and just lost record of the purchase.

 

I have had my own chat server on Discord for over a year now as I use it to game with my nephew at times or he will join when I am streaming races in Formula 1 or Raceroom Racing Experience and we talk.  He likes it because he can see when I am streaming and knows to come check out my races and make fun of me.  I installed it on my iPad as well and it is even easier to use than the app version of Teamspeak which might actually be why people like Discord more.

 

I'm still fine with whatever we decide to use.  But unless Teamspeak is going to upgrade there platform to handle some of the nice features available in discord, my vote would still go for Discord if we were to vote on what to use.

Yeah I would have to say for streaming purposes that Discord has some nice features. I was reading up on that but that is honestly all I can muster up about it. I have connection problems and the voice sounds shitty as hell to me. But I guess I could adjust some things and try to make it better. I have just never had any problems with Teamspeak what so ever. So I am a believer of if it isn't broken don't fix it. But I think it is cool that we host a server that people who prefer one over the other can use which works best for them. 

 

I think some people are concerned it may cause a rift but people will go where they are more comfortable and as the updates and improvements happen with discord maybe people with migrate more towards that voip. However I think it would be wise for all division leaders and officers + to have both programs. The meetings will most likely be held on teamspeak as it is the easiest way to record things that has been brought up so far. So eventually most will have to use teamspeak at some point in time until that changes.

Edited by Dabomb(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Discord installed on this particular computer(other one doesn't have it but that's on me lol) but the time I've spent on Discord has been limited(no more than maybe 5 minutes). It comes across as the latest and greatest communication platform that, based on what I've read, has been evolving since its inception. I know Overdosed is one of the last clans that originated from the old Battle.Net and Blizzard's Starcraft 1, Diablo 1&2, Warcraft 3 days. Overdosed has managed to survive through Diplomacy, grit and adapting(aka evolving). For OD to keep going, I think its Leadership needs to strongly consider giving Discord more "official" support since the latest generation of gamers, including those on console(which is an untapped source of new blood mind you), uses the platform for communication. Teamspeak is a solid communication platform but I consider it the Myspace of communication platforms. When Facebook came along, Myspace slowly and surely died and I think the same thing will ultimately happen to Teamspeak in time as Discord's popularity grows.

 

Whether or not Discord will have the staying power that Facebook has remains to be seen but right now, Discord is quickly becoming the dominant platform due to the fact its "FREE". The conservative approach is to adopt the status quo of utilizing both but as I noted above, I think more formal support for Discord needs to be considered and perhaps making an official switch sometime in 2018. People don't like change(eh I'm one of those stubborn people) and I empathize the pitfalls of being a Leader(I've been there) but someone has to make the tough choices and if this was put up to a clan vote, I think it would be very close but Discord wins out in the end.

 

PS: Discord discussions rival that of a Forum by the way. Kind of the modern Forum since Forums like this are so 1998 :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DarkHelmet said:

I have Discord installed on this particular computer(other one doesn't have it but that's on me lol) but the time I've spent on Discord has been limited(no more than maybe 5 minutes). It comes across as the latest and greatest communication platform that, based on what I've read, has been evolving since its inception. I know Overdosed is one of the last clans that originated from the old Battle.Net and Blizzard's Starcraft 1, Diablo 1&2, Warcraft 3 days. Overdosed has managed to survive through Diplomacy, grit and adapting(aka evolving). For OD to keep going, I think its Leadership needs to strongly consider giving Discord more "official" support since the latest generation of gamers, including those on console(which is an untapped source of new blood mind you), uses the platform for communication. Teamspeak is a solid communication platform but I consider it the Myspace of communication platforms. When Facebook came along, Myspace slowly and surely died and I think the same thing will ultimately happen to Teamspeak in time as Discord's popularity grows.

 

Whether or not Discord will have the staying power that Facebook has remains to be seen but right now, Discord is quickly becoming the dominant platform due to the fact its "FREE". The conservative approach is to adopt the status quo of utilizing both but as I noted above, I think more formal support for Discord needs to be considered and perhaps making an official switch sometime in 2018. People don't like change(eh I'm one of those stubborn people) and I empathize the pitfalls of being a Leader(I've been there) but someone has to make the tough choices and if this was put up to a clan vote, I think it would be very close but Discord wins out in the end.

 

PS: Discord discussions rival that of a Forum by the way. Kind of the modern Forum since Forums like this are so 1998 :P

 

Did like half the community miss the entire meeting and discussion and posts where we made the current discord our second "official" VOIP service? We've already adopted the usage of both. The only question we're posing right now is which one people prefer and possibly would we be changing our "main" VOIP service as a community from Teamspeak to Discord. I keep seeing people talk about this as if Discord wasn't already made an official OD Community thing. Or that we support both. Yes. Until now, discord has been treated like the red-headed stepchild of the two. With little to no love from the majority of the community including the admins(especially the admins). But, we have very clearly supported them both as VOIPs for several months now.

 

 

 

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

 

Did like half the community miss the entire meeting and discussion and posts where we made the current discord our second "official" VOIP service? We've already adopted the usage of both. The only question we're posing right now is which one people prefer and possibly would we be changing our "main" VOIP service as a community from Teamspeak to Discord. I keep seeing people talk about this as if Discord wasn't already made an official OD Community thing. Or that we support both. Yes. Until now, discord has been treated like the red-headed stepchild of the two. With little to no love from the majority of the community including the admins(especially the admins). But, we have very clearly supported them both as VOIPs for several months now.

 

 

 

Point I'm trying to make, and one that @MelodicRose(OD) brought up is that when you have two communication platforms, it fractures the community into two groups: One that uses Discord and one that uses Teamspeak. I never talk, much less see anyone from the FF14 Division or other Divisions that primarily use Discord because I'm nearly always on Teamspeak if I'm on gaming. If I don't see them, how can I interact with and get to know them unless they come onto the Forum(which is the only common gathering place outside of the website and one could argue that Discord has a Forum feel to it). In other words, you're basically creating two unique cultures or communities under one banner. Long term, that doesn't work and may create resentment from some members if they feel their Division or communication platform is being shafted in favor of the other. Furthermore, if one Division primarily uses Discord, what's the point in having Teamspeak channels for them? The off-chance they adopt Teamspeak for the day?

 

The only solution to this issue is that you make the tough call and pick one and only one to go with. Having two, as I see it, isn't viable for the long-term health of the Community at large. I understand that not everyone likes Discord(and vice versa with regards to Teamspeak) but based on the testimony of people trying to recruit on certain platforms, Discord is the only way they get new blood and I think fully adopting it rather than the half-measured stance we're in right now(despite claims to the contrary), is the way to go. We don't have to drop everything and start on Discord January 1st but transition to it over time. The more people who make the switch, the more conducive it will be to the stability of the clan as a whole.

 

As extra evidence to the court of public opinion, I submit a clan that started from the ground up on Discord. Powerhaus Gaming(https://www.powerhaus.gg/), made up of ex-AH members(some of which you may or may not know. @Terakahn is an Admin of their server by the way). Gaming evolves and we as a community need to evolve with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was summoned? How's it going =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terakahn said:

I was summoned? How's it going =)

HI :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll vouch for discord being the only thing a community actually needs. 

 

It's so good, that I would wager I wouldn't need a website, forum, or anything else, and everyone would still be very connected. As someone who literally grew up on a clan forum, this is a pretty big statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, Xayj(OD) said:

 

Did like half the community miss the entire meeting and discussion and posts where we made the current discord our second "official" VOIP service? 

Yes, and no. To be honest it doesn't matter. Mr general in training, I'm not here to pick on you, but this is a topic I know I've mentioned since I've been temporarily sprung from my prison, and I am passionate about the way this idea of dismissing or blaming forgetful topics or individuals directly. I also believe xayj, like some of us, this will be something you can, will and already do accelerate at. You tend to not only remember in detail your passions, topics discussions and arguments but others as well. Which is honestly super helpful, as we all forget things time to time, especially when it comes to out extra curricular activities which isn't sex or killing brain cells. Try to remember this, and just patiently bring up the way you remember a discussed topic, or the iteration of it you believe you remember. If your feeling super ghodi, find the topic, or money to in the meeting. You have to remember the turnover of our leadership is constant in some instances and just the sheer amount of topics well cover year to year. Whether or not people were present, or just forget really just doesn't matter. But keep up that memory of the crap we do and say, to be honest it's quite the group task effort for a good many of us. :P

 

So I've read this whole topic, and ravemore and xayj's previous but relevant topic. Im pretty out of the weeds so to speak on favoring neither currently, as I don't have a high game activity attributed to either. In the time I have been able to game these last three months, I've seen both used and inquired about, be it dotartoo, league, hots, d2, and sc2. I gotta say I think we're still stuck with using both, despite the split or divergence of members currently. I think it was Potter who said two or three 25 pages back, discord seems mostly to be used because it's popular. This may be true, but so is the use of coal over the sun currently. I just don't think discord meets the functionality needs we would like, nor do I think the overall game populace between most platforms and games have aged to discord solely over ts. In honesty, it never will be all, as there are still wow raids on ventrillo. But I think I can see discord being what will succeed ts3 for some particularly cute but friendly features. Shelf this for a later date as an overall switching discussion I think and we can focus on accommodating uses, teaching people and learning as users to continue to offer whatever members and divisions need or want from discord, and still ts3 when we get those nice new idears. It wasn't all that long ago I remember meetings on league ranks, and before that game icons in ts3.  Loool and my personal favorite, too many icons ogamod!!!1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is the place, but I looked for some time about my question and couldn't find it. So here I ask.

 

Bot Disclaimer By joining the OverDosed Gaming Discord server, you expressly acknowledge and consent to the retention and usage of your account details and message history by our server's bots.

 

What exactly does this mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2018 at 3:34 AM, Onee(OD) said:

Not sure if this is the place, but I looked for some time about my question and couldn't find it. So here I ask.

 

Bot Disclaimer By joining the OverDosed Gaming Discord server, you expressly acknowledge and consent to the retention and usage of your account details and message history by our server's bots.

 

What exactly does this mean?

 

Well, we don't currently have a bot on our server that is recording this information. But, when/if we do. This message serves the purpose of letting members know that a bot under the control of the OD administration is retaining the information on the sever the includes but is not limited to usernames, chat logs, account details etc....

 

It acts like that pre-recorded message that plays in states that have 2 party consent recording laws before a phone call that lets you know you may be recorded.

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now