Jump to content
snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

 

Ok, So let's break down your concerns down.

 

Permissions: Yes the discord permissions are not and probably will not be as exactly robust as Teamspeak in the near future. But, as a commander who has access to the full load of the teamspeak permissions panel if you have any questions or concerns regarding how discord and the permissions may come short myself, @Collin(OD) and @MelodicRose(OD) will do our very best to answer your questions.

 

You mention multiple voice chats. I'm guessing you're alluding to teamspeaks ability to connect to multiple servers at once correct? Now if that is the case I don't see your point here. You're constantly connected to every server you're on discord at all times, minus voice. With teamspeak you can only talk on one at once. Your mic can only be active on one at a time so that's a moot point because it's really the same thing if you think about it. 

 

As far as your last 2 sentences if you want to expand on that I'd be happy to try and do all i can to help make your experience with destiny 2 better if i can. :beer:

You can listen in multiple channels. I feel like the multiple instance problem is being deflected. It’s a huge shortfall. 

44 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

 

Ok, So let's break down your concerns down.

 

Permissions: Yes the discord permissions are not and probably will not be as exactly robust as Teamspeak in the near future. But, as a commander who has access to the full load of the teamspeak permissions panel if you have any questions or concerns regarding how discord and the permissions may come short myself, @Collin(OD) and @MelodicRose(OD) will do our very best to answer your questions.

 

You mention multiple voice chats. I'm guessing you're alluding to teamspeaks ability to connect to multiple servers at once correct? Now if that is the case I don't see your point here. You're constantly connected to every server you're on discord at all times, minus voice. With teamspeak you can only talk on one at once. Your mic can only be active on one at a time so that's a moot point because it's really the same thing if you think about it. 

 

As far as your last 2 sentences if you want to expand on that I'd be happy to try and do all i can to help make your experience with destiny 2 better if i can. :beer:

You can listen in multiple channels. I feel like the multiple instance problem is being deflected. It’s a huge shortfall. I believe that the multiple instances is how you got recruited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xayj(OD) said:
23 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

. I feel like the multiple instance problem is being deflected. It’s a huge shortfall. I believe that the multiple instances is how you got recruited. 

With teamspeak you can only talk on one at once. Your mic can only be active on one at a time so that's a moot point because it's really the same thing if you think about it. 

 

To be fair I wasn't deflecting, I addressed the issue head on calling it a moot point. At the time though, I was not aware you were specifically only looking for the ability to listen to people vs active voice. 

 

Regarding how I was recruited isn't a great example considering all of the factors of how I was recruited. But, Sure, say chris was using teamspeaks multi-server connection capabilities those late hours of night and kept himself connected. It's helps him stay informed on what's going on with the OD server voice channel if he's able to multi-task that well. while both  listening to me and what ever is in the channel he's in on the other server(s).  

 

Either way. It's a very handy tool function. But, how many people can successfully listen to multiple conversations and participate in at least one to make this specific single point worth it? 

 

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

 

To be fair I wasn't deflecting, I addressed the issue head on calling it a moot point. At the time though, I was not aware you were specifically only looking for the ability to listen to people vs active voice. 

 

Regarding how I was recruited isn't a great example considering all of the factors of how I was recruited. But, Sure, say chris was using teamspeaks multi-server connection capabilities those late hours of night and kept himself connected. It's helps him stay informed on what's going on with the OD server voice channel if he's able to multi-task that well. while both  listening to me and what ever is in the channel he's in on the other server(s).  

 

Either way. It's a very handy tool function. But, how many people can successfully listen to multiple conversations and participate in at least one to make this specific single point worth it? 

 

 

So my example. I have Monday's off. During the daytime, I chat with Sassy in Teamspeak (while being available for anyone's needs). At the same time, there is not enough people in our community for me to raid on Monday during the day. So I use https://destinytracker.com/destiny/lfg or https://ftw.in/game/destiny-2 or www.destinylfg.net/. I join an LFG group with 5 other players and join the host's Discord channel. If we eliminated Teamspeak or made the Discord Mandatory, I would have to leave our server to play on the LFG server. It is not likely that I can join their server and convince them to join ours (I may be able to do that after a successful Raid but not before). This is the point I was eluding to. In the past I would have both Teamspeak and Discord running simultaneously so I can Pub Raid, while being on our Teamspeak. I just thought it was ironic that you were describing your recruitment method as a moot point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

 

So my example. I have Monday's off. During the daytime, I chat with Sassy in Teamspeak (while being available for anyone's needs). At the same time, there is not enough people in our community for me to raid on Monday during the day. So I use https://destinytracker.com/destiny/lfg or https://ftw.in/game/destiny-2 or www.destinylfg.net/. I join an LFG group with 5 other players and join the host's Discord channel. If we eliminated Teamspeak or made the Discord Mandatory, I would have to leave our server to play on the LFG server. It is not likely that I can join their server and convince them to join ours (I may be able to do that after a successful Raid but not before). This is the point I was eluding to. In the past I would have both Teamspeak and Discord running simultaneously so I can Pub Raid, while being on our Teamspeak. I just thought it was ironic that you were describing your recruitment method as a moot point.

 

To be fair I was talking about teamspeak and I now primarily use discord as my recruitment method...sooooo....yeah,........

 

I'm also not saying you're points here aren't valid. That's a struggle we face in destiny all the time with pubs. We do our best to pull pubs into our discord over another. I'm also not saying we should eliminate teamspeak. I'm personally in the camp of simply going where ever is best for the community. If it's discord it's discord. if it's teamspeak it's teamspeak. If it's both it's both. 

 

 

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Xayj(OD) @MelodicRose(OD) Can you help me understand what discord has to offer that teamspeak does not. What makes it more appealing for your members and why is it so hard for you to recruit to teamspeak? This could give us more insight as to the problems you are facing so we can make a better decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Xayj(OD) said:

But, Sure, say chris was using teamspeaks multi-server connection capabilities

 

Don't use Chris for your examples, he'll start thinking he matters again. 23idu2a.png

 

Looking at the overall picture right now, in terms of functionality Teamspeak is a far more sophisticated system. Discord has a couple neat features mentioned that sound convenient, but in terms of the extent of its available powers, precision control over those powers, and how adaptable it is for what we create and change in the Clan, it doesn't compare to Teamspeak. It doesn't even come close, that is why we are struggling, compromising, and using work-arounds to try and get Discord powers to match what we have in Teamspeak as closely as we can.

If we're being honest, the only reason Discord has been considered as an alternative is because of the sheer demand of players in games these days who prefer it because it doesn't require a download (which makes it kind of ironic that those of us who are using it are saying to avoid the website version and download the client version). If it wasn't for the large impact it has with recruitment we would normally never even entertain the idea of a switch. From a community standpoint giving up TS for Discord would actually be a significant downgrade.

 

That being the case, it seems more logical to use Discord as a platform for recruitment and group gaming runs rather than the hub of our community. If it can fulfill the function of recruiting members into OD as it is, then it actually doesn't make sense for us to sacrifice what we already have in favor of settling on it more centrally. There will probably be a lot of players who only want to use the Discord, and that's fine, there are a lot of D2 members who only chat in the battle.net channels and don't use voice chat at all. They are still members, they are still happy, and they are free to use as much or as little of what our Clan has to offer that they like. Discord doesn't need to be any different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

long read, From my divisions stand point, yes discord is much easier and with difficulties that we face in recruiting it makes things a ton easier to have a discord.  that in itself can be a challenge as my own division can be segmented, even at times having a raid group split between the 2 but we make it work.

 

I would not like to see us give up ts altogether.  For our raid groups it is nice to have discord available, but even for myself discord is mostly personal non clan usage(friends/family/so) as it does not incur long distance to use on my phone.  So my usage would be limited to certain situations.

 

There are people in my division that love the idea of using it exclusively though, its a much easier interface and connection, and as horrible as it is you can even connect through a web browser.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Discord is garbage for a huge community. And for some divisions such as WoW there are key things missing from Discord such as Priority Speaker. Its cool for small stuff but until its brought closer to a REAL server environment. Its nothing more than Skype 2.0 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is now Saturday, as Administration we have added a lot of strong points on both ends and most Division leaders have weighed in on their thoughts and uses for Discord, giving this topic a really solid start for a conversation. We can, of course, continue to discuss the merits and demerits of moving to Discord, but we will be moving the topic to the public view now in General Clan Discussions, so that all members may share their thoughts and better understand our Clan's position on Discord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 11:26 PM, Ghost(OD) said:

they're not interested  i also stated that MY divison is not interested in switching in the slightest so i mean i guess it does fall under a clan problem?

 

If it doesnt envolve the loudest or most outspoken ppl its dorsnt seem to be a clan problem i also have more than stated that the group i play with hates discord including spike speigel also i for one as a recruiter( on yhe top 10 list btw) hasnt had trouble getting ppl to use ts play woth them first make yhem a freind then talk them into joining i 100% of the time have had success getting a person to download teamspeak after they find out its where the clan is and that its easier on processing no matter how small the processing is to truchill er i mean collin also u know im forreal when i agree with tachi

On 12/14/2017 at 11:28 PM, Dabomb(OD) said:

Being that I am very unfamiliar with discord I cannot speak much on how it operates etc.. However I did log on it a few times and haven't really enjoyed it as much as teamspeak. However I will say progression and growth should not come from switching to discord as I have never had any problems with people I am trying to recruit that currently use discord to switch over to teamspeak. Infact my last 3 recruits have done so. So moving everything we already have set up is unnecessary in my mind. I haven't encountered a single problem with someone reluctant to switch and should the problem arise I don't think it would be a deal breaker. However until it happens I am happy with where we are. I think it works better with our structure.

I guess this too.

Sou ds more lije we need to retrain our recruiters if one small program is all thats stoping them from recruiting or we are only tarheting nin flexible clients to recruit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 11:30 AM, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Yes, we have a Discord that was updated within a few days ago. Days. Hence why we haven't had anyone join yet because I am seemingly the only one on the recruiting front in my division and I literally got back to my game yesterday. It's slightly difficult to go ahead and begin a recruiting front based on a, now, fully-functional Discord that'd be valid for us now. That's my plan for today. Regarding concerns about players being involved or not if there's no one in the voice channels, I wouldn't join a voice channel to sit there alone for hours.. I don't even do that now on TS3, which I think is a problem both on my part and I know for a fact that others do think the same as me in that regard.

 

I've already stopped advertising a TS3 server as of a month ago, as it does nothing to serve our purpose in game..

 

I think this is what bothers me the most.. I can't really pinpoint exactly why, and no offense to the leadership of D2 at all because I look up to you guys greatly, but why does the member count seemingly matter more than the other divisions here? I understand that they're the largest group, but shouldn't this be about the success of every division in the gaming community? The only argument I have seen against Discord is something of personal preference.. Aside from Compfreak's list of things he'd like to see before a switch (thank you for specifics on why you dislike Discord..). 

 

At this point, either way, you are fragmenting the community further than it already seemingly is. I thought the entire point of this front was to avoid doing this? 

Bc every divison before this topic came up that has had successful leaders has been fine and dandy using teamspeak its about how u aproach the recuitment and in what order you ask things of them the website being absolutly last after yhey have bonded with uand member or 2 when a person Conciders  you apart of their life and gaming experience and want you there they'll gladly an easily move to wherever you and the group they're playing with us talking whether it be TeamSpeak whether it be Discord if they started a Discord the gladly move to Tennessee most people aren't that stubborn you just might not be making the same connection with people as other successful recruiters. And regarding the comment on D2 as being a single division they're also what 75% of the whole community so with a move to this court upsets 75% of the whole Community then it's bad for the community as a whole whether that's one division or that 80 75% of spread across the majority of an individual of the clan when you take out of the whole thing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

Sou ds more lije we need to retrain our recruiters if one small program is all thats stoping them from recruiting or we are only tarheting nin flexible clients to recruit

 

It's not our recruiters that are the problem. You want to pin the blame on the recruiters because someone doesn't like a program? That's not fair. More often than not, as soon as Teamspeak is mentioned to potential recruits in Final Fantasy, they just stop talking to us. So before you say we need to be retrained, perhaps you should learn the facts from all sides first. It's not a fault of ours that's the problem.

 

You're under the impression this is just to get them into the clan. But we're not even getting that far. This is recruitment into the free company itself. People WANT a voice program. They WANT a way to speak to party members, not type. And as soon as Teamspeak is mentioned, they're completely uninterested. Those that we've mentioned Discord have been on board and have been happy to join the free company. It's pretty much a requirement for a lot of those out there in Final Fantasy that would accept an invite to a free company.

 

I find your continued reference of calling people running into this problem unsuccessful recruiters disappointing. Stop being demeaning to people. And it's 46%, not 75%. Don't give ratios/percentages/numbers that are misleading.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This issue has been an ongoing "issue" since gaming clans have existed. Early on, it was more of which platform was the flavor of the month(or whichever platform happened to give the best bang for the buck). Now its much more complicated due to the fact that games are starting to acclimate or cater to clans/gaming communities by offering ways to communicate within the game itself(Starcraft 2 comes to mind but I'm sure other Blizzard titles have that very same function). Diablo 2, due to its age, does not have a push to talk microphone function, hence Teamspeak is an ideal means of doing group runs(notably for ladder resets or dueling since Group Leaders can be given Talk Authority). Discord is an up and coming platform just like other communication platforms in the past and yet its still, to my knowledge, doesn't yield certain flexibility or customization that Teamspeak happens to provide.

 

Also with regards to fragmenting the community, it kind of feels that way when you have different genre's within one community. You have MMORPG, FPS, RTS, 4E(Exterminate, Explore, Expand, Exploit. Aka Civilization type games) and MOBA's. Each genre has certain needs and for some genre's, Discord fills those needs better than Teamspeak does and vice versa. What you must decide as a Division Leader, and as a Community, is which platform is in your respective best Interest. Is it ideal to all be on one platform? Certainly but if you can recruit better on Discord, there is nothing wrong about grouping up there. Just explain that if you want to talk to other members of the community, you have this Forum AND Teamspeak in which to do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

 

It's not our recruiters that are the problem. You want to pin the blame on the recruiters because someone doesn't like a program? That's not fair. More often than not, as soon as Teamspeak is mentioned to potential recruits in Final Fantasy, they just stop talking to us. So before you say we need to be retrained, perhaps you should learn the facts from all sides first. It's not a fault of ours that's the problem.

 

You're under the impression this is just to get them into the clan. But we're not even getting that far. This is recruitment into the free company itself. People WANT a voice program. They WANT a way to speak to party members, not type. And as soon as Teamspeak is mentioned, they're completely uninterested. Those that we've mentioned Discord have been on board and have been happy to join the free company. It's pretty much a requirement for a lot of those out there in Final Fantasy that would accept an invite to a free company.

 

I find your continued reference of calling people running into this problem unsuccessful recruiters disappointing. Stop being demeaning to people. And it's 46%, not 75%. Don't give ratios/percentages/numbers that are misleading.

Say what u want but if this happens we are going to loose a chunk of this community bc a mive isnt nessicary we have a discord use it but dont set it in a already runnibg policy and as for yhe numbers im in the car so sorry if i dobt ahve tine to do the math not all of us have that much time but the point was its a huge solid chunk period we have told division in yhe past to do whats best and what they need to do with in our rules and guidelines.    In fact buy me a 1month sub to ff14. Ill increase your numbers like i have for every divison i have been apart of if i cant ill support the move

Edited by ChrisSpeck(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

Say what u want but if this happens we are going to loose a chunk of this community bc a mive isnt nessicary we have a discord use it but dont set it in a already runnibg policy and as for yhe numbers im in the car so sorry if i dobt ahve tine to do the math not all of us have that much time but the point was its a huge solid chunk period we have told division in yhe past to do whats best and what they need to do with in our rules and guidelines 

 

I'm 100% aware that Diablo 2 is a large portion of our community by themselves. And it takes every other division against them to over-rule them. I don't intend on making a final decision that would alienate 46% of our members. What kind of Leader/Administrator do you think I am? 

 

But if you're going to use stats, numbers, and percentages, don't mislead people with them.

 

If anything we're leaning to more of a dual chat service.. and in my opinion would probably be the most beneficial that this time. Some divisions would thrive better in Discord, whereas some will thrive better in Teamspeak. Already, we've amped up and made the Discord permissions much more robust than they were. The Discord even looks much cleaner than it did. I'll send out a message to the community to get their input on this thread so we can hear their voice as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

Bc every divison before this topic came up that has had successful leaders has been fine and dandy using teamspeak its about how u aproach the recuitment and in what order you ask things of them the website being absolutly last after yhey have bonded with uand member or 2 when a person Conciders  you apart of their life and gaming experience and want you there they'll gladly an easily move to wherever you and the group they're playing with us talking whether it be TeamSpeak whether it be Discord if they started a Discord the gladly move to Tennessee most people aren't that stubborn you just might not be making the same connection with people as other successful recruiters. And regarding the comment on D2 as being a single division they're also what 75% of the whole community so with a move to this court upsets 75% of the whole Community then it's bad for the community as a whole whether that's one division or that 80 75% of spread across the majority of an individual of the clan when you take out of the whole thing

I find it extremely disrespectful that you are literally going to sit here and question our actions and the ability of our recruiters when you literally have zero idea what we are searching for and how we are going about recruiting. You'd be surprised how many people literally will not download TS3, not everyone is as willing as you apparently think. We have had people immediately stop messaging us when we note that we use TS3 as our voice program, BEFORE even mentioning the gaming community at all. I don't even mention the community in my recruitment messages. Also, as I said above, I know that Diablo 2 is a large chunk of this community but seeming to care only for them and their members is a major downfall and something that I seriously detest right now. There seven other divisions on this website, at least four of those divisions have mentioned that they would benefit from use of Discord. So are we just going to ignore those "at least four" divisions for Diablo 2 only? How are we to thrive and succeed if that's the mindset we have.

 

24 minutes ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

Say what u want but if this happens we are going to loose a chunk of this community bc a mive isnt nessicary we have a discord use it but dont set it in a already runnibg policy and as for yhe numbers im in the car so sorry if i dobt ahve tine to do the math not all of us have that much time but the point was its a huge solid chunk period we have told division in yhe past to do whats best and what they need to do with in our rules and guidelines.    In fact buy me a 1month sub to ff14. Ill increase your numbers like i have for every divison i have been apart of if i cant ill support the move

Also, to comment on this, we're looking for quality members who want to get involved in raids, dungeons, and various other group activities that would REQUIRE a use of a voice server, more easily for us would be Discord. It's not a matter of just "increasing" my numbers, it's more so finding members who would enjoy the environment we have set up and eventually enjoy the community. 

 

I'm at a point where I, honestly, just want to stop responding to this thread. It's become more of a point fingers and ask why we aren't doing something and how it's our fault for our lack of recruitment due to a voice server than an actual constructive discussion about a possible move. It's become more and more frustrating as time goes on here and I'm not entirely sure how to approach it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First

 

 

@Aerineth(OD) and @ChrisSpeck(OD) I think the term you are both looking for is that Diablo II hols a plurality  *not* a majority. Thanks.

 

@ChrisSpeck(OD)  I would like to attempt at keeping this topic of discussion easy for other to read up on, can you please spell check your posts a little better. There was a large quality of issues with your text.  It took a larger amount of time to read your post verses a larger post that was void of grammar issues.

 

@Criaric(OD) - thank you for your opinion on the topic.

 

@DarkHelmet

1 hour ago, DarkHelmet said:

You have MMORPG, FPS, RTS, 4E(Exterminate, Explore, Expand, Exploit. Aka Civilization type games) and MOBA's. Each genre has certain needs and for some genre's, Discord fills those needs better than Teamspeak does and vice versa. What you must decide as a Division Leader, and as a Community, is which platform is in your respective best Interest. Is it ideal to all be on one platform?

I really liked reading this and thought it was great for development of the topic.

 

 

I would like to point out what @MelodicRose(OD) & @Aerineth(OD) & @ChrisSpeck(OD) in regards to their discussion on recruiting and the main communication platform that the community uses.

 

-----------------------------------

Second

I'd like to picture it this section for users who are just starting to read the topic.

 

 

 

They are discussing the recruiting for the community.  This being being supported by what @DarkHelmet brought up that each genera is different and Melodic and Aerineth both brought up examples of this in regards to their games.

 

The story is that the world prefers the idea that: The more complex the steps to connect the easier it will be to scare someone away.  Note: It is easier in some situations for some platforms.

 

--------

 

Example:

58 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

You'd be surprised how many people literally will not download TS3

 

13 hours ago, Terra said:

Discord has been considered as an alternative is because of the sheer demand of players in games these days who prefer it because it doesn't require a download

 

The non community gamers would prefer to use the simple way to connect, verses installing software.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

Third (conclusion)

 

With the ever changing world being introduced to new things everyday. We should adapt to what is best.

 

I'd like to throw out the idea that we should use both platforms.

 

Pros of both platforms as a community we:

 - Get functionality of both platforms.

 - Can still use TS3 as the main platform for community events such as for hosting meetings

 - Reach out to the new player base who prefers simple connect mentality.

 

I'd like to bring up the point of meetings.  When the community conducts administrative meetings  they consist of primary division leaders or Officers+, correct? 

I feel that if a member who was in a division that used Discord for their divisions primary communication and for their division events it would not be too much to ask that those division leaders to have teamspeak installed to attend those meetings.

 

That way as a community, we are taking advantage of multiple platforms for communication that best suite the different divisions to give them the most appropriate tools possible to provide them with a successful division.

 

after all isn't the goal is win-win situation.

 

 

Sorry for the wordy topic I attempted to space things out and highlight ideas with bold text

Regards,

Quintin (Snicker66(OD))

 

 

 

Edited by snicker66(OD)
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, snicker66(OD) said:

First

 

 

@Aerineth(OD) and @ChrisSpeck(OD) I think the term you are both looking for is that Diablo II hols a plurality  *not* a majority. Thanks.

 

@ChrisSpeck(OD)  I would like to attempt at keeping this topic of discussion easy for other to read up on, can you please spell check your posts a little better. There was a large quality of issues with your text.  It took a larger amount of time to read your post verses a larger post that was void of grammar issues.

 

@Criaric(OD) - thank you for your opinion on the topic.

 

@DarkHelmet

I really liked reading this and thought it was great for development of the topic.

 

 

I would like to point out what @MelodicRose(OD) & @Aerineth(OD) & @ChrisSpeck(OD) in regards to their discussion on recruiting and the main communication platform that the community uses.

 

-----------------------------------

Second

I'd like to picture it this section for users who are just starting to read the topic.

 

 

 

They are discussing the recruiting for the community.  This being being supported by what @DarkHelmet brought up that each genera is different and Melodic and Aerineth both brought up examples of this in regards to their games.

 

The story is that the world prefers the idea that: The more complex the steps to connect the easier it will be to scare someone away.  Note: It is easier in some situations for some platforms.

 

--------

 

Example:

 

 

The non community gamers would prefer to use the simple way to connect, verses installing software.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

Third (conclusion)

 

With the ever changing world being introduced to new things everyday. We should adapt to what is best.

 

I'd like to throw out the idea that we should use both platforms.

 

Pros of both platforms as a community we:

 - Get functionality of both platforms.

 - Can still use TS3 as the main platform for community events such as for hosting meetings

 - Reach out to the new player base who prefers simple connect mentality.

 

I'd like to bring up the point of meetings.  When the community conducts administrative meetings  they consist of primary division leaders or Officers+, correct? 

I feel that if a member who was in a division that used Discord for their divisions primary communication and for their division events it would not be too much to ask that those division leaders to have teamspeak installed to attend those meetings.

 

That way as a community, we are taking advantage of multiple platforms for communication that best suite the different divisions to give them the most appropriate tools possible to provide them with a successful division.

 

after all isn't the goal is win-win situation.

 

 

Sorry for the wordy topic I attempted to space things out and highlight ideas with bold text

Regards,

Quintin (Snicker66(OD))

 

 

 

I can't say anything about punctuation but I'll try to use talk to text from now on when I'm in the car

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChrisSpeck(OD) said:

I can't say anything about punctuation but I'll try to use talk to text from now on when I'm in the car

 

Just FYI, your browser probably has a spell check.. just right click the words with red squiggly's.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is my understanding that Discord is the current, and most popular voice chat platform.  I think it even pairs with Twitch?  That doesn't mean much to me, but that's what the kids like these days.  That being said, I think it's in the community's best interest to engage with outsiders on the most widely used platform.  In that case, Discord would be the optimal choice. 

 

The gaming landscape has changed dramatically since I was last truly a part of it.  Years ago, proper PC gaming required a multitude of not-so-great programs, and the flexibility to hop between them depending on your crowd.  It appears that today's pc gamer prefers a more streamlined experience, and I can't fault them for that.  

 

As a gamer who's experienced a multitude of communication program migrations, it's always the most popular format that wins.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading some of the content in here and also contributing my own opinion, I have to be honest by saying this. I really don't see the big deal with using both TeamSpeak and Discord, like we are currently doing, and then revisit it in a month to see how it is progressing. 

 

Will the community be split? Yes. Has it ever truly been together as one? No. Will we eventually figure out the best option? Perhaps. It will take time, testing, and patience.

 

Currently, I am in Discord quite frequently and I hardly see more than a half a dozen people in there at once (Most of them are Destiny 2 players). That being said, it seems foolish to assume that everyone is ready and willing to switch when our current server is vacant 90% of the time.

 

On the other hand, I see TS3 a lot more full, but that could be due the lack of common knowledge that we use Discord as well. Also the comfort that we have been using that voice program for longer so it's just the go to.

 

Overall, I do like the discussion so far, but please do not take things personal as I see some side conversations getting a bit out of hand. Keep it GM please!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like discord would be the better choice of the two, mainly because like @Dave Stocker said it's the current popular to you use.  I personally like being able to see messages from people in the chat's that were sent while I was offline, which you get with discord.  Teamspeak on the other hand does not and I usually come in halfway through a conversation not knowing what's going on.  But with Discord i could go back and read over everything and be informed.

Edited by KiraMiamoto(OD)
bad grammar LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KiraMiamoto(OD) said:

I feel like discord would be the better choice of the two, mainly because like @Dave Stocker said it's the current popular one you use.  I personally like being able to see messages from people in the chat's that were sent while I was offline, which you get with discord.  Teamspeak on the other hand does not and I usually come in halfway through a conversation not knowing what's going on.  But with Discord i could go back and read over everything and be informed.

I personally think the choice should be more revolved around functionally and use case for the clan and less about popularity. 

 

However; I do agree that the chat system is way more robust in Discord compared to TS3. I also like that I get notifications on my phone if I'm not on my computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am Groot

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×