snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

38 minutes ago, OptimusMike(OD) said:

So if someone has admin permissions to their donor channel they can move anyone in their channel + any other channel? If I am reading that right. EX: Donor in Donor channel moves me from Test channel to Test 2 channel.

Also, this is something we dealt with back in the Ventrillo days (sighh.....). If you donated X amount of dollars to the Ventrillo server, you were given server admin (No Rcon) Also cost a lot of money. We only had one person abuse it and it was dealt with within minutes.

(If you can guess the name you get a gold star!)

Danny ? lol and As long as my own slice of paradise is still there im good with any change as long as it betters us and not sets us back to the stone ages

Edited by TypeReaL(OD)

1 hour ago, OptimusMike(OD) said:

Have you been in the Discord recently?

No I have not which is why I requested a picture of what it looks like so I could see.  Thanks Mike.

1 hour ago, OptimusMike(OD) said:

(If you can guess the name you get a gold star!)

Tyler? haha

From what I'm reading throughout this discussion all of this seems quite within reach to have acomplished

Thank you all for your feedback on this topic.

On the topic of recording:

How about we just designate one or two people who record the meeting to be responsible for (with the option to ask for help setting up) attempt setting up recording functionality for discord and test different programs (if no one wants to I can do this tomorrow)

@Collin(OD)

Side note:  I'm not 100% understanding of how nicknames work on discord. 

For Ex. my handle is currently 'Snick' for my discord.

and an observation I'm going to make is that my discord handle for OD should be my actual OD handle.

Is there a way for me to have different handles per Discord server I am connected to?

Regards,

Quintin *Snicker66(OD)*

Edited by snicker66(OD)

3 minutes ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Side note:  I'm not 100% understanding of how nicknames work on discord. 

For Ex. my handle is currently 'Snick' for my discord.

and an observation I'm going to make is that my discord handle for OD should be my actual OD handle.

Is there a way for me to have different handles per Discord server I am connected to?

You can have a different nickname on each server! On the OD discord you can do /nick (name) and it'll turn your name to that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

You can have a different nickname on each server! On the OD discord you can do /nick (name) and it'll turn your name to that

Thanks for the information, I was unsure about this information.

Do we know of anyone willing to do the research into different recording\capture software programs to try with the discord?

29 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

What rose clearly forgot to mention here is that you can change your name by right clicking on yourself in the tree and clicking change nickname. Totally the superior method....right @MelodicRose(OD):biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, Xayj(OD) said:

What rose clearly forgot to mention here is that you can change your name by right clicking on yourself in the tree and clicking change nickname. Totally the superior method....right @MelodicRose(OD):biggrin:

You see, @Xayj(OD) here is being a sass monster.

• Like 1

most of the people in my division arnt really interested in switching as a whole. we use both clients to talk with different groups of friends to me this would prolly just be a major inconvenience and i wouldn't be on nearly as much since it would limit me to one discord at a time which if i had to choose my group of friends for the last 12-15 years will trump sitting on OD discord. Personally id rather not end up in that situation

Tyler?

2 hours ago, Ghost(OD) said:

most of the people in my division arnt really interested in switching as a whole. we use both clients to talk with different groups of friends to me this would prolly just be a major inconvenience and i wouldn't be on nearly as much since it would limit me to one discord at a time which if i had to choose my group of friends for the last 12-15 years will trump sitting on OD discord. Personally id rather not end up in that situation

Move them to our discord. If they're unwilling that's a you problem not a clan problem. Sorry bud. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Collin(OD) said:

Tyler?

Move them to our discord. If they're unwilling that's a you problem not a clan problem. Sorry bud. 

Going to have to agree with Collin (Almost called you Truechill... gotta remember that -_-). This isn't about just one  member of the community, it's a whole lot bigger than that. Don't misunderstand, I trust and respect our members of our community. But I'll be one of the last ones to stop encouraging progression, growth, and evolution for the sake of a single member.

1 hour ago, Collin(OD) said:

Tyler?

they're not interested  i also stated that MY divison is not interested in switching in the slightest so i mean i guess it does fall under a clan problem?

1 hour ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

Going to have to agree with Collin (Almost called you Truechill... gotta remember that -_-). This isn't about just one  member of the community, it's a whole lot bigger than that. Don't misunderstand, I trust and respect our members of our community. But I'll be one of the last ones to stop encouraging progression, growth, and evolution for the sake of a single member.

Being that I am very unfamiliar with discord I cannot speak much on how it operates etc.. However I did log on it a few times and haven't really enjoyed it as much as teamspeak. However I will say progression and growth should not come from switching to discord as I have never had any problems with people I am trying to recruit that currently use discord to switch over to teamspeak. Infact my last 3 recruits have done so. So moving everything we already have set up is unnecessary in my mind. I haven't encountered a single problem with someone reluctant to switch and should the problem arise I don't think it would be a deal breaker. However until it happens I am happy with where we are. I think it works better with our structure.

2 minutes ago, Ghost(OD) said:

they're not interested  i also stated that MY divison is not interested in switching in the slightest so i mean i guess it does fall under a clan problem?

I guess this too.

1 hour ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

Being that I am very unfamiliar with discord I cannot speak much on how it operates etc.. However I did log on it a few times and haven't really enjoyed it as much as teamspeak. However I will say progression and growth should not come from switching to discord as I have never had any problems with people I am trying to recruit that currently use discord to switch over to teamspeak. Infact my last 3 recruits have done so. So moving everything we already have set up is unnecessary in my mind. I haven't encountered a single problem with someone reluctant to switch and should the problem arise I don't think it would be a deal breaker. However until it happens I am happy with where we are. I think it works better with our structure.

I guess this too.

So what would you suggest to the divisions who are struggling to recruit and get people involved in the voice chats? :)

7 hours ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

6 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

So what would you suggest to the divisions who are struggling to recruit and get people involved in the voice chats? :)

Ok, I'm going to try and put my best Tris hat on so I can and play devils advocate here. *puts wireless headset on and starts pacing around room back and forth.* 

Back when Discord was originally being pushed as our second "official" voip service we offer as a community. I was in favor of it because gave people another avenue without forcing people to move. It was a "no harm no foul situation in my mind." 

While I was not a fan of the original reason the discord was being created in the first place, I was still fine with giving members a choice in the option to choose a voip server. 

Now, discord is being pushed not just to be official but to be our Main voip service and not just our secondary. The expectation and not the after thought. I know several people after pushing for this for their own reasons. The two biggest outliers I've seen so far being for preference and because they have been told by the majority of the people they are trying to recruit that they won't use teamspeak.

For the people who prefer discord. There isn't really much I can say other than that eventually we're going to have to find a common ground. You very much like discord for the same reason the people on the other side of the fence very much like teamspeak. Teamspeak has been around for a long time. But, so was vent and we managed to move off of there. So all is not lost. 

For the people having issues recruiting on teamspeak. We do in fact have a discord. One that is now 100% geared towards the entire community. One that is now stacked with multiple active Mods that are ready to answer your pings. Have you asked yourself why you're not currently recruiting onto the current discord we have now(Mind you the current discord has only existed in this state for maybe a week or so, so please don't bite my head off i'm sorry please no) and taking advantage of the boons the current server would give you? Is the only thing stopping you the fact that it's not our main server and you think people would be turned away by people not actively sitting in voice channels all the time? I'm genuinely interested. I've been apart of several larger discord servers where people don't typically sit in the voice channels unless they're doing something. But, they're also not a gaming community like ours so I guess the experience also doesn't really translate either.

Anyway,  I'm interested to hear opinions back.  

7 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

We should offer them the option. In fact, if you guys are certain that Discord would be the only accepted form of voice communication for your game then you don't even need to mention that there is a Teamspeak to new members until it comes up in conversation later on down the line, just tell them we have a Discord. Which we do.

Ghost isn't going to be the only member reluctant to make a permanent switch, it is pretty much a certainty that there will be others. In particular I would like to know how the members of the D2 Division would feel about changing, @Sassy, @PoPs(OD), @SeriousWine(OD). They account for a lot of our members in the Clan, and as you guys recently demonstrated with the reset, there are a lot of D2 members that use Teamspeak. If many of them would feel uncomfortable about switching to Discord, then this isn't a case of one member of the community being reluctant, it would be a very sizable amount and could have a huge impact.

For now, I still feel offering both is the best solution. Dividing our community was never an appealing prospect, but at this point it is less of a problem than those we are likely to encounter by committing too much into one voip over the other. We can take our time and wait to see how much we can improve Discord, and how much the developers of Discord can improve it, and adjust over time accordingly. Those who want to use TS3 can use it, and those who want to use Discord can use it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ghost(OD) said:

I'm in Overwatch and certainly don't care. 

17 minutes ago, Terra said:

For now, I still feel offering both is the best solution. Dividing our community was never an appealing prospect, but at this point it is less of a problem than those we are likely to encounter by committing too much into one voip over the other. We can take our time and wait to see how much we can improve Discord, and how much the developers of Discord can improve it, and adjust over time accordingly. Those who want to use TS3 can use it, and those who want to use Discord can use it.

I do think we should begin making an effort to bring people to Discord. Such as through a graphic on the website that links/advertises it.

Well i for one tried discord but did not like it i'd rather stay with teamspeak but i have come across many of our members asking if we have discord  so if they have both i think it be good for all 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I'd actually have to hear someones reasoning for not wanting to switch rather than shoot in the dark I suppose. It's just nothing I have personally encountered, Most are willing to switch if they want to be part of the community. If they have no interest and are feeling pushed into it so to speak then I feel that is just a reluctant excuse to not join. So if you could provide an example I would be happy to help answer your question.

3 hours ago, Xayj(OD) said:

For the people having issues recruiting on teamspeak. We do in fact have a discord. One that is now 100% geared towards the entire community. One that is now stacked with multiple active Mods that are ready to answer your pings. Have you asked yourself why you're not currently recruiting onto the current discord we have now(Mind you the current discord has only existed in this state for maybe a week or so, so please don't bite my head off i'm sorry please no) and taking advantage of the boons the current server would give you? Is the only thing stopping you the fact that it's not our main server and you think people would be turned away by people not actively sitting in voice channels all the time? I'm genuinely interested. I've been apart of several larger discord servers where people don't typically sit in the voice channels unless they're doing something. But, they're also not a gaming community like ours so I guess the experience also doesn't really translate either.

Yes, we have a Discord that was updated within a few days ago. Days. Hence why we haven't had anyone join yet because I am seemingly the only one on the recruiting front in my division and I literally got back to my game yesterday. It's slightly difficult to go ahead and begin a recruiting front based on a, now, fully-functional Discord that'd be valid for us now. That's my plan for today. Regarding concerns about players being involved or not if there's no one in the voice channels, I wouldn't join a voice channel to sit there alone for hours.. I don't even do that now on TS3, which I think is a problem both on my part and I know for a fact that others do think the same as me in that regard.

3 hours ago, Terra said:

We should offer them the option. In fact, if you guys are certain that Discord would be the only accepted form of voice communication for your game then you don't even need to mention that there is a Teamspeak to new members until it comes up in conversation later on down the line, just tell them we have a Discord. Which we do.

I've already stopped advertising a TS3 server as of a month ago, as it does nothing to serve our purpose in game..

3 hours ago, Terra said:

Ghost isn't going to be the only member reluctant to make a permanent switch, it is pretty much a certainty that there will be others. In particular I would like to know how the members of the D2 Division would feel about changing, @Sassy, @PoPs(OD), @SeriousWine(OD). They account for a lot of our members in the Clan, and as you guys recently demonstrated with the reset, there are a lot of D2 members that use Teamspeak. If many of them would feel uncomfortable about switching to Discord, then this isn't a case of one member of the community being reluctant, it would be a very sizable amount and could have a huge impact.

I think this is what bothers me the most.. I can't really pinpoint exactly why, and no offense to the leadership of D2 at all because I look up to you guys greatly, but why does the member count seemingly matter more than the other divisions here? I understand that they're the largest group, but shouldn't this be about the success of every division in the gaming community? The only argument I have seen against Discord is something of personal preference.. Aside from Compfreak's list of things he'd like to see before a switch (thank you for specifics on why you dislike Discord..). 

At this point, either way, you are fragmenting the community further than it already seemingly is. I thought the entire point of this front was to avoid doing this? 

I have exactly zero experience with discord. never seen it never tried it. As far as teamspeak goes, i like it. it does whats promised. provides a place for our members to come together in voice.From a division standpoint it again scores high in my opinion. it offers us powers to control our channels. Offers our donor channels. I am not stating anything new here. we all know how well our TS works for us. When it comes to the D2 players, sure some of them have asked about discord, but i can say that we have never lost a single prospective recruit because we use TS. We have never really discussed changing to discord within our division. I feel that our members are happy with TS as it is now, however if we were to switch, I dont see a problem there either. I would be curious to hear from our members on this subject. I personally feel that its better for us as a community to be together on whichever platform we can mostly agree on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I think this is what bothers me the most.. I can't really pinpoint exactly why, and no offense to the leadership of D2 at all because I look up to you guys greatly, but why does the member count seemingly matter more than the other divisions here? I understand that they're the largest group, but shouldn't this be about the success of every division in the gaming community?

We do value the success of each division.  However, with D2 we're talking about roughly 46% of the entire clan.  While it is important to value the individual success of each and every division, we cannot value it so much that we're willing to potentially kick almost half the clan to the curb.

• Like 1

That basically sums it up. But to be clear, my asking about the preferences of the D2 Division members doesn't necessarily mean we're going to favor their preferences, but it is important to know exactly what it is we stand to gain, and what we stand to lose, over any kind of transition. As Altros pointed out, the D2 Division accounts for a lot of our members in the Clan, it would be terribly remiss not to find out how they would handle a change. So @PoPs(OD) and @Sassy maybe you could take some time to ask your members what they think about it. In fact, it would be good to hear from any other Divisions that haven't weighed in yet how they would feel about Discord.

4 hours ago, Collin(OD) said:

I do think we should begin making an effort to bring people to Discord. Such as through a graphic on the website that links/advertises it.

Yes, that is a fair suggestion, I think it would be a good idea to do that as well.

1 hour ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

At this point, either way, you are fragmenting the community further than it already seemingly is. I thought the entire point of this front was to avoid doing this? 

Well it already is divided, at this point roughly half our Divisions use Discord more and some use Teamspeak more. It is something we wanted to avoid, but that was back when Discord was still a novelty idea and not gaining the stride that it has in the gaming world. The reality is with circumstances as they are, there is no decision we can make that will not fragment the Clan to some extent, even if we fall in entirely with one. If we go all into Discord then it will diminish or cost us the involvement of those who preferred Teamspeak, and if we go all into Teamspeak then it will diminish or cost us the involvement of those who preferred Discord. Exactly how much in either case is what I'm currently trying to determine.

If the best-case scenario isn't available anymore then the most we can do is pick the next best one. We can't change the fact that there is a divide now, but what would be worse than being divided in half between two voice chats is losing one half entirely. Which is why I think supporting both is our best approach right now.

• Upvote 1

just spoke to 2 guys and one said they like discord and other ts but they will go where most of us hang out that seems to be ts but im going to ask more the guys that use ts

3 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Yes, we have a Discord that was updated within a few days ago. Days. Hence why we haven't had anyone join yet because I am seemingly the only one on the recruiting front in my division and I literally got back to my game yesterday. It's slightly difficult to go ahead and begin a recruiting front based on a, now, fully-functional Discord that'd be valid for us now. That's my plan for today. Regarding concerns about players being involved or not if there's no one in the voice channels, I wouldn't join a voice channel to sit there alone for hours.. I don't even do that now on TS3, which I think is a problem both on my part and I know for a fact that others do think the same as me in that regard.

I've already stopped advertising a TS3 server as of a month ago, as it does nothing to serve our purpose in game..

I think this is what bothers me the most.. I can't really pinpoint exactly why, and no offense to the leadership of D2 at all because I look up to you guys greatly, but why does the member count seemingly matter more than the other divisions here? I understand that they're the largest group, but shouldn't this be about the success of every division in the gaming community? The only argument I have seen against Discord is something of personal preference.. Aside from Compfreak's list of things he'd like to see before a switch (thank you for specifics on why you dislike Discord..). 

There is more than just personal preference, it’s the functionality. I’m concerned with permissions and multiple voice chats. There are times when I join 2 channels and there will be times where I join multiple servers for public Destiny events. It would be nice not to have to log off the mandatory OD voice program, so I can join the public event for Destiny 2. If I’m joining a group of five, they are not likely to leave the hosts server to come to ours. 

2 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

There is more than just personal preference, it’s the functionality. I’m concerned with permissions and multiple voice chats. There are times when I join 2 channels and there will be times where I join multiple servers for public Destiny events. It would be nice not to have to log off the mandatory OD voice program, so I can join the public event for Destiny 2. If I’m joining a group of five, they are not likely to leave the hosts server to come to ours. 

Ok, So let's break down your concerns down.

Permissions: Yes the discord permissions are not and probably will not be as exactly robust as Teamspeak in the near future. But, as a commander who has access to the full load of the teamspeak permissions panel if you have any questions or concerns regarding how discord and the permissions may come short myself, @Collin(OD) and @MelodicRose(OD) will do our very best to answer your questions.

You mention multiple voice chats. I'm guessing you're alluding to teamspeaks ability to connect to multiple servers at once correct? Now if that is the case I don't see your point here. You're constantly connected to every server you're on discord at all times, minus voice. With teamspeak you can only talk on one at once. Your mic can only be active on one at a time so that's a moot point because it's really the same thing if you think about it. 

As far as your last 2 sentences if you want to expand on that I'd be happy to try and do all i can to help make your experience with destiny 2 better if i can. :beer: