snicker66(OD)

Main Voice Communication Platform for Community

37 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

Or go to meeting

Could you be in multiple servers at one time in Diksord?

We want them recorded so we can go back and listen to past meetings. This isn't really an option we should entertain. Im not going to take thorough and efficient notes on the spot of the meetings as disorganized as some of them can get. I wouldn't be able to participate if I did. We should however, probably have a text long like @Townkill(OD) makes for us in conjunction with the reckless meeting. Those are fantastic.

If we used go to meeting would that record audio. I'm not 100% sure of all the functions of that platform 

Just now, snicker66(OD) said:

If we used go to meeting would that record audio. I'm not 100% sure of all the functions of that platform 

I don't think we should use an entirely different platform for meetings either. It's hard enough to be organized and efficient as it is. We want things to be easier, not harder and more complicated for or members.

2 minutes ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

I don't think we should use an entirely different platform for meetings either. It's hard enough to be organized and efficient as it is. We want things to be easier, not harder and more complicated for or members.

Agreed. 

K.i.s.s. keep it simple stupid ^

16 hours ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

Another thing before I forget. Especially now that we have a much cleaner Discord, if divisions have their own discord, they need to be moving towards using the OD one. We don't need to be more scattered than already with 2 official servers. I keep hearing rumors of other discords hosted by divisions. It was decided a while back that if someone wants to use Discord, they have to use ours, not their own.

This is what happens when you open up the flood gates!! haha jk hopefully we can get them all to join the OD server.

59 minutes ago, Dabomb(OD) said:

This is what happens when you open up the flood gates!! haha jk hopefully we can get them all to join the OD server.

I'm not sure actually where the rumor started that people can have their own. I thought it was pretty clear that if they wanted to use Discord, then they had to use ours. Perhaps it wasn't as clear as I thought and it got lost in translation over the lifespan of our Discord. Nonetheless, they still need to begin transitioning over to our server, if they haven't already.

Also, are there any other requirements or features that Division Leaders are seeking for their division that discord/teamspeak offers. If not, then we should push this discussion public to get the communities opinion, Today's day number 4.

I'll tag all registered Division Leaders who are officers+. Some of you are already active, but this portion of it was designed so you can list what you need for your division.

@Xayj(OD) @Sassy @PoPs(OD) @SeriousWine(OD) @PJPotter(OD) @Hari(OD) @TypeReaL(OD) @MelodicRose(OD) @dave1(OD) @Azhriel(OD) @Badboi(OD) @Ghost(OD) @Criaric(OD) @Dabomb(OD) @Ravemore(OD) @CompFreak(OD) @Triny(OD) @Haag(OD) @Lojac(OD)

3 hours ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

You can join into multiple servers but can only be in one voice chat at all times. If you try to join another voice chat on another server, it'll boot you out of the other one. This is assuming that's what you meant.. you weren't very specific lol

Can you be in multiple channels at a time?

10 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

Can you be in multiple channels at a time?

Assuming you mean voice channels, no. You can only be in one at a time.

There are a few concerns that I have before we make "the switch":

1. Donor Channels. As I mentioned in the meeting, Donor Channels would be a priority in researching the ability to continue them, as well as how we would allocate the permissions for them.

2. Recordings. As I believe Aerineth mentioned, the ability to record meetings needs to be addressed.

3. Customizability. Teamspeak has all these free downloadable add-ons that make the program easy to use, including but not limited to: voice notifications when someone joins or leaves your channel, different themes / skins, overwolf (allows you to see who's talking when gaming in fullscreen), ability to log chats and retain them for future review (no matter what channel you are in), as well as many useful administrative tools that don't come with the base program, like moving multiple members simultaneously, etc.

4. Resource use. It has come to my attention that the amount of computer resources that each chat program uses is actually quite a substantial difference. In other words, Teamspeak literally uses LESS THAN HALF the resources that Discord uses, running the desktop application (when using the web interface, it uses even more). This is not necessarily a problem for me or for people that have beast computers, but many of our members game on laptops or budget rigs that resources are a high factor. Teamspeak has been around a lot longer, and has had the opportunity to plug any resource / memory leaks they've had over the years, whereas Discord is relatively a new app, and still working out the kinks.

5. Security. All the work that R.ag and countless others have assisted with over the years, in ramping up our security protocols with our ts server would be quite literally laid to waste and kicked to the curb if we were to switch to discord. Right now, we have the ability to completely control and admin our own server, whereas if we were on discord, and our channels were "attacked", most likely discord would just issue us a new address from a different server, and it would be up to us to get the new info to all our members, creating a much longer than otherwise "down time". With teamspeak, we have the ability to fix things "on the fly" adjusting for ddos attacks, etc. 

6. Permission system.  The depth and complexity of our current permissions system, at least to my knowledge, is not possible to replicate at this time with discord. Permissions ranging from people below Officer rank having the ability to be "division leaders", with the permissions to kick members, delete and add channels within their division only, is just one of the examples I can think of at this time, but i'm sure it extends beyond that.

With these issues not addressable by "discord" or any other chat program, I am NOT in favor of making a switch at this time.

1 hour ago, CompFreak(OD) said:

There are a few concerns that I have before we make "the switch":

1. Donor Channels. As I mentioned in the meeting, Donor Channels would be a priority in researching the ability to continue them, as well as how we would allocate the permissions for them.

2. Recordings. As I believe Aerineth mentioned, the ability to record meetings needs to be addressed.

3. Customizability. Teamspeak has all these free downloadable add-ons that make the program easy to use, including but not limited to: voice notifications when someone joins or leaves your channel, different themes / skins, overwolf (allows you to see who's talking when gaming in fullscreen), ability to log chats and retain them for future review (no matter what channel you are in), as well as many useful administrative tools that don't come with the base program, like moving multiple members simultaneously, etc.

4. Resource use. It has come to my attention that the amount of computer resources that each chat program uses is actually quite a substantial difference. In other words, Teamspeak literally uses LESS THAN HALF the resources that Discord uses, running the desktop application (when using the web interface, it uses even more). This is not necessarily a problem for me or for people that have beast computers, but many of our members game on laptops or budget rigs that resources are a high factor. Teamspeak has been around a lot longer, and has had the opportunity to plug any resource / memory leaks they've had over the years, whereas Discord is relatively a new app, and still working out the kinks.

5. Security. All the work that R.ag and countless others have assisted with over the years, in ramping up our security protocols with our ts server would be quite literally laid to waste and kicked to the curb if we were to switch to discord. Right now, we have the ability to completely control and admin our own server, whereas if we were on discord, and our channels were "attacked", most likely discord would just issue us a new address from a different server, and it would be up to us to get the new info to all our members, creating a much longer than otherwise "down time". With teamspeak, we have the ability to fix things "on the fly" adjusting for ddos attacks, etc. 

6. Permission system.  The depth and complexity of our current permissions system, at least to my knowledge, is not possible to replicate at this time with discord. Permissions ranging from people below Officer rank having the ability to be "division leaders", with the permissions to kick members, delete and add channels within their division only, is just one of the examples I can think of at this time, but i'm sure it extends beyond that.

With these issues not addressable by "discord" or any other chat program, I am NOT in favor of making a switch at this time.

1. We already addressed this.

2. We already addressed this.

3. Discord has most of these features (no recording of conversations afaik, but past text conversation is all searchable by username).

4. This is fair, but if you're playing any game other than D2 (because you can play this on an actual toaster) your PC is probably good enough to handle the tiny load that Discord adds.

5. Past work put into TS3 is not a reason to not switch to Discord. We switch to whatever is best... not whatever we spent the most time on. I've yet to see this happen, but you can get a permanent Discord URL through an application.

6. You can get VERY close.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Collin(OD) said:

1. We already addressed this.

2. We already addressed this.

3. Discord has most of these features (no recording of conversations afaik, but past text conversation is all searchable by username).

4. This is fair, but if you're playing any game other than D2 (because you can play this on an actual toaster) your PC is probably good enough to handle the tiny load that Discord adds.

5. Past work put into TS3 is not a reason to not switch to Discord. We switch to whatever is best... not whatever we spent the most time on. I've yet to see this happen, but you can get a permanent Discord URL through an application.

6. You can get VERY close.

What about flooding/trolls? What if there are multiple trolls and they keep inviting after I ban? What about the power to change names?

2 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

What about flooding/trolls? What if there are multiple trolls and they keep inviting after I ban? What about the power to change names?

You can change people's nicknames on there, for them if you are given the ability to (which most should be able).

Regarding trolls, you can change different levels of verification.. to the point of providing a wait time before being allowed to text chat or voice chat : https://gyazo.com/17c6a72ba1c32012f2c610ca550a799e

I think most trolls would give up after having to wait.. they're typically impatient..

6 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

If you ban them they have to make a new account. Rose covered what you can do in response to making new accounts.

1 minute ago, Collin(OD) said:

If you ban them they have to make a new account. Rose covered what you can do in response to making new accounts.

This.  Natively, Discord bans are permanent and can be done by user ID.  A flooder can't simply follow an invite to a discord they've been banned in, they'd have to make a new account to continue the flood.

This also means that the idea of banning someone for 5 minutes because they were drunk and bothering people isn't a thing on Discord.  The only way to achieve temporary bans is by using a bot that will unban users that are only supposed to be temporarily banned after their temp ban period has expired.

10 minutes ago, Badboi(OD) said:

If i'm not mistaken. If you ban someone it's an account ban + IP ban (By discord). So unless they are going to use a VPN or a proxy , they shouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Altros(OD) said:

This.  Natively, Discord bans are permanent and can be done by user ID.  A flooder can't simply follow an invite to a discord they've been banned in, they'd have to make a new account to continue the flood.

This also means that the idea of banning someone for 5 minutes because they were drunk and bothering people isn't a thing on Discord.  The only way to achieve temporary bans is by using a bot that will unban users that are only supposed to be temporarily banned after their temp ban period has expired.

Which shouldn't be such a massive issue lol.

Aside from that, you can kick them and they can grab the link when they're functional again (assuming heavy drinking) and they should be able to rejoin just fine. 

• Upvote 1

I like where this topic is going. Thank you all for your posts!

Can I bring up the idea of the  Hierarchy that is in teamspeak because I would like to discuss our options that are available within discord to develop a hierarchy for discord that would be comparable to the one that is in teamspeak.

I'm referring to channel layout 

Can we get an example screenshot of what the discord channel would look like. How cluttered would it be?

Thanks. Quintin

-sent from Note8

Edited by snicker66(OD)

Just now, snicker66(OD) said:

Can I bring up the idea of the  Hierarchy that is in teamspeak because I would like to discuss our options that are available within discord to develop a hierarchy for discord that would be comparable to the one that is in teamspeak.

Thanks. Quintin

-sent from Note8

Have you been in the Discord recently?

I believe Collin , or whomever is working on the layout, already has put a lot of work into organizing the channels. Looks a lot cleaner than before. Otherwise, I'm sure there will be more additions (AFK channel ,ETC) but it's a great start.

Alright, since I'm now done with finals and have the brain cells to create well thought out responses.. I shall reply to some things that I was tagged in.

@Terra, and anyone else who has an interest in poking around the test discord, this is the link: https://discord.gg/wn2dY7X This link should be a permanent link as it's never set to expire. All of the work that is being tested is slowly being implemented into the "Official" discord that is owned by Rave (this is another topic.....) and moderated by Xayj. They've begun switching things over on the Official discord to make it look more like an OD discord rather than a "for fun," casual-ish discord. Kudos to them for their hard work while I went poof :P

The only thing that's really going to be a "problem," rather than a inconvenience or something that people have an issue with for reasons that boggle my mind, is the recording system built into the client. Discord does not appear to have this but there are countless recording software that can be downloaded..

Donor Channels - are a possibility with the correct permission management

Recording is not provided - this could change.

Customizable - Discord also has an add-on that I used to use before I reset my laptop. It allowed you to download skins that you could overlay on your discord client. I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I could easily find it and share it at some point. Some games allow you to see who's talking in game (I know it can work in League, I turned it off cuz it annoyed me..). 

Resource Use - I am playing on a toaster laptop that takes about 87 years to load cut scenes and load-in screens. I've never had an issue with running Discord while I'm gaming and it feels the same as when I play with TS3.. so I'm a little confused.

Security - While we can salute R.ag for all his work that he's done to keep the TS server safe and such, we can't just let hard work hold us back from updating with the rest of the world. The only issue I've ever encountered that caused Discord server downtime is when Discord itself is having a server problem. If anything, switching from TS3 to Discord might be a safer bet.. My MC server used to get DDoSed daily and since moving to Discord, we have never had an issue since, regarding downtime and attacks.

Permissions - While it's already known that it's not as in depth and detailed as everyone would like it yet.. we are still testing what would happen. You can give people "subranks" for division leadership/officers/etc. I will further test to see if they can provide the same permissions to kick, delete and add channels.. I'm unsure if they can do it only within their channels, that'll be something I mess around with. If anything, like Collin said, you can get VERY VERY close.

I understand that this change is not welcomed by many and change in general seems to be seen as a negative here.. but there are a great many divisions that are riding the struggle bus in terms of recruitment because, unlike what was said in the meeting about how people will join the TS3 after a while just because people in the divisions talk there, that's not how it is for every game and it is beginning to effect some leaders and their divisions.

I'll keep answering questions where I can, as always.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, snicker66(OD) said:

Discord currently only supports channel trees with a depth of 2.  That is to say that main channels (depth 1) can have sub channels (depth 2) but sub channels cannot have sub channels.  Also the "main channels" are really just labels because you can't actually use them as a voice channel.  Basically, channel hierarchy is limited to grouping like-channels under a collapsible label.  Discord does not currently support complex channel hierarchies like the ones seen on teamspeak and, to the best of my knowledge, there is no workaround for this.  I do believe that more complex channel hierarchies is a planned feature by the Discord devs.

Edited by Altros(OD)

8 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Donor Channels - are a possibility with the correct permission management

I believe Collin may be already working on donor channels. In a few other discord servers, a few buddies have channels set up in such a way, so it's doable, I'm just not sure how they accomplished it.

10 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Recording is not provided - this could change.

There are plenty of third-party programs that could accomplish this. It looks like the most popular one that is showing up on Google is Audacity. We would have to test it to see how it sounds, but that wouldn't be a big deal.

13 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

Security - While we can salute R.ag for all his work that he's done to keep the TS server safe and such, we can't just let hard work hold us back from updating with the rest of the world. The only issue I've ever encountered that caused Discord server downtime is when Discord itself is having a server problem. If anything, switching from TS3 to Discord might be a safer bet.. My MC server used to get DDoSed daily and since moving to Discord, we have never had an issue since, regarding downtime and attacks.

Discord includes DDos and IP protection VS TeamSpeak only protects your IP address. I believe TeamSpeak uses AES based encryption, but I haven't looked into it that much.

1 minute ago, OptimusMike(OD) said:

I believe Collin may be already working on donor channels. In a few other discord servers, a few buddies have channels set up in such a way, so it's doable, I'm just not sure how they accomplished it.

I know, I had it set up in my test server before implementing shoving the entire TS server's channels into it and trying to recreate it. I made Aerineth my test buddy for it ;) It's definitely possible, but all users of any rank would be able to move people (with permission ofc), which some deem an issue.. I don't as long as they don't abuse it (and action would be taken if they were to)

It's very possible to create situations where people have permissions down to a channel level. it would just be slightly time consuming in the sense that you have to sit there and drag the permissions down and allow and dis-allow everything, at least once. Once you have that system down it's just a matter of replicating it with a of parent Catergory channel. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MelodicRose(OD) said:

I know, I had it set up in my test server before implementing shoving the entire TS server's channels into it and trying to recreate it. I made Aerineth my test buddy for it ;) It's definitely possible, but all users of any rank would be able to move people (with permission ofc), which some deem an issue.. I don't as long as they don't abuse it (and action would be taken if they were to)

So if someone has admin permissions to their donor channel they can move anyone in their channel + any other channel? If I am reading that right. EX: Donor in Donor channel moves me from Test channel to Test 2 channel.

Also, this is something we dealt with back in the Ventrillo days (sighh.....). If you donated X amount of dollars to the Ventrillo server, you were given server admin (No Rcon) Also cost a lot of money. We only had one person abuse it and it was dealt with within minutes.

(If you can guess the name you get a gold star!)

Edited by OptimusMike(OD)