Collin(OD)

Switched to Ryzen

Here are some Benchmark comparisons between my i7-6700k overclocked and my Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked.

ad888b5b6953f6122e04f2fe2c135830.png

yea, pretty much comparable between the ryzen 5 and an i7... not bad! but dat physics score doh.... i guess the i7 still has the leg up on single-core performance ;) !

The differences are actually much more pronounced at 1080p, but at 1440p it's either not noticeable (1-3% fps) or Ryzen flat-out wins. Good thing I play at 1440p! AMD really did a good job closing that IPC gap. Hopefully Zen 2 brings 5GHz AM4 processors. It's exciting times!

Also, the FireStrike overview says the i7 was at 4GHz, but it was actually boosted to 4.5GHz during benching.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2017 at 6:12 AM, Collin(OD) said:

The differences are actually much more pronounced at 1080p, but at 1440p it's either not noticeable (1-3% fps) or Ryzen flat-out wins. Good thing I play at 1440p! AMD really did a good job closing that IPC gap. Hopefully Zen 2 brings 5GHz AM4 processors. It's exciting times!

Also, the FireStrike overview says the i7 was at 4GHz, but it was actually boosted to 4.5GHz during benching.

Should post the price of each component to demonstrate how far AMD has come since basically falling flat on their face years ago. I’m tempted to see how their Ryzen refresh handles against Cannon Lake when(and if) it comes out next year. Pretty sure the refresh should handle admirably against Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake but Cannon Lake is the wild card. Thing to consider is whether the cost is worth the extra performance heh.

Well I got deals... so that's not really fair.

R5 1600: $60 (brand new in box)

ASRock AB350M Pro4: $35 (open box)

The Intel roadmap leaked. Nothing new coming in 2018 as far as consumer processors go.

tIh2jikxdRA0S1SASWy73N2tRHzgPY_WR56Ek-qM

2 hours ago, Collin(OD) said:

Well I got deals... so that's not really fair.

R5 1600: $60 (brand new in box)

ASRock AB350M Pro4: $35 (open box)

The Intel roadmap leaked. Nothing new coming in 2018 as far as consumer processors go.

tIh2jikxdRA0S1SASWy73N2tRHzgPY_WR56Ek-qM

You know, I’m not surprised by that considering it’s been delayed three times already. May explain why their stock price is getting hammered today. Just annoying because I was anticipating sometime next year getting it along with an aftermarket Volta and other hardware components. At this rate DDR5 RAM will be out by the time Cannon Lake drops.

Probably. Volta will be out by June I'd wager. DDR5 who knows when. Samsung is having issues with it.

Assembling a build for Joe and swapping my Corsair Vengeance RGB for his TridentZ RGB as payment for assembling/installing/updating everything. :)

I've had my eye on this RAM for a long time (it works better with ASUS AuraSync than the Corsair RGB does) and am very excited because I just couldn't justify buying more RAM at the current prices.