Sign in to follow this  
DarkHelmet

Starcraft 2: F2P

13 posts in this topic

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/21173629

 

TLDR: Starcraft 2 will become free to play in a limited scope.

 

They’re giving away Wings of Liberty or the Terran Campaign and all Co-Op Commanders for free. The caveat or catch with regards to the Co-Op commanders is that you can level them up to level 5, hence unlocking only a fraction of their potential. Raynor, Kerrigan and Artanis or the three Co-Op Commanders that came with the Starter Edition can be leveled up to 15(and beyond with Mastery levels). If you want to level up the other Co-Op Commanders, purchase Legacy of the Void to get Swann, Zagara, Vorazun and Karax while the rest are a $5 microtransaction. If you already own Wings of Liberty, they’ll be giving away Heart of the Swarm for free during a brief time period(forget exactly when so check that link). Heart of the Swarm, Legacy of the Void and Covert Ops are all $15 or you can get all three for $40. That might change with the Holidays coming up so you might be able to get them for less.

 

If you don’t own Starcraft 2, now might be the time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

blizzard and the f2p parts where never that great.. Normally where the f2p ends that's where the best part begins... (wow,d3)

Edited by JIraiya(OD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, are they gonna refund the 150$ usd I Paid for my Deluxe edition of Heart of the swarm FUCK YOU blizzard ... fuck you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JIraiya(OD) said:

blizzard and the f2p parts where never that great.. Normally where the f2p ends that's where the best part begins... (wow,d3)

Wings of Liberty Campaign, to be honest, is the best Campaign of the three in my opinion. Just something about Terran that makes them awesome to play. Don't get me wrong, playing Heart of the Swarm and Kerrigan does have its perks. Even Legacy of the Void wasn't that bad, especially if you loved the Protoss faction. Allowing people to play all the Co-Op Commanders is a switch though. Used to be they'd be locked unless you paid the $5 for them(or bought LotV for the 4 Commanders I mentioned). Seeing as I own LotV and got Nova via a friend, the other 5 Commanders(Abathur, Stukov, Alarak, Fenix/Talandar and Dehaka) are now available to me in a limited capacity(I still won't play them though lol).

 

51 minutes ago, TypeReaL(OD) said:

So, are they gonna refund the 150$ usd I Paid for my Deluxe edition of Heart of the swarm FUCK YOU blizzard ... fuck you

You're the dumbass to pay $150 for the Deluxe Edition. Be glad you got the special skins and other things that came with it. Heck the Deluxe is still available, just not for the $150 you paid. Besides... I still paid like $140 for the entire game(60 + 40 + 40). Even plopped another $15 for Covert Ops(those 9 missions were fun as hell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarkHelmet said:

.

 

You're the dumbass to pay $150 for the Deluxe Edition. Be glad you got the special skins and other things that came with it. Heck the Deluxe is still available, just not for the $150 you paid. Besides... I still paid like $140 for the entire game(60 + 40 + 40). Even plopped another $15 for Covert Ops(those 9 missions were fun as hell).

I prefer collector :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collectors editions were worth it. You got to enjoy it for how many years? I dont think it becoming free should even matter unless you don't already own it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21183638/starcraft-ii-40-patch-notes-11-14-2017

 

TLDR: Multiplayer will never be the same ;P ON the plus side, more Co-Op content for me and casual players alike :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone did the math. If the game was on steam, counting only ladder players, it would be the 4th most played game on steam. Also, I've heard that co-op has as more players than all the other game modes combined. So you can imagine how big the game actually is getting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Co-op really seemed to restore that driving engine for SC2, before the co-op mode was introduced it seemed like it was waning for a long time. I wonder if it would be considered more or less successful than the first starcraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Co-Op mode is something that gives veterans and casual players alike something to do if they're not into the ladder/multiplayer function of the game. Furthermore, it gave map creators something to shoot for with regards to scenarios and even Commanders with regards to units and abilities. Granted I don't know of Blizzard using any Commander ideas but they've utilized at least two Co-Op maps from Rock the Cabinet contests(Winner gets $10k cash as well as their map making it into the Co-Op map pool).

 

Question is whether they intend to expand Co-Op to 3 players any time soon. Its been relegated to just two since its inception but there are some rumblings about expanding it to three. Granted I can't think of too many scenarios necessitating having 3 Humans but the interest is there that I can assure you. If anyone wants to do Co-Op, just let me know(I don't care what the difficulty is either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well with them killing the protoss in 1v1s I guess im relegating to co-op #fuckyoublizz #givememymothershipcoreback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TypeReaL(OD) said:

Well with them killing the protoss in 1v1s I guess im relegating to co-op #fuckyoublizz #givememymothershipcoreback!

Didn’t think the Core was that big of a deal. Then again Protoss has never had an Aerial unit that acts as early game base defense(even in SC1). Besides they brought back the old Shield Battery that didn’t make a debut until LotV campaign(makes it into Multiplayer as of 4.0). The fact the battery can replenish shields on structures makes them effective structures to invest in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarkHelmet said:

Didn’t think the Core was that big of a deal. Then again Protoss has never had an Aerial unit that acts as early game base defense(even in SC1). Besides they brought back the old Shield Battery that didn’t make a debut until LotV campaign(makes it into Multiplayer as of 4.0). The fact the battery can replenish shields on structures makes them effective structures to invest in.

man overcharge was essential in holding off an agro build as we know protoss are strongest when at their higher tiers of tech it was defense without having to spend extra on cannons early game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this