Sign in to follow this  
Terakahn

What do YOU like most about OD?

I was looking around and didn't find anything like this. Either because I didn't look far enough, or because I'm blind. 

Either way, I'm curious. You're all here for a reason. Something keeps you coming back. Feel free to tell everyone what that is. I'm also curious, as is my nature. I'm basically a cat in human form.

I think my favorite thing is that the place has withstood the test of time. Through the staff changes, revolving membership doors, and everything else that has changed in the world of gaming and it's related communities. It's sort of held it's own foothold and style in the way it carries itself amidst the ever changing environment. There's something admirable about that. Once upon a time it was the go to thing to copy. Sort of the clan benchmark to measure yourself against. And now it's the only one left, at least the only one of it's kind I'm aware of. 

Like you Tera, I’m an old school clanner. I suppose what I like about it is going to be different than those who are 15 years younger than myself who have no idea what online gaming was like back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. The first thing I like about OD is familiarity or a nostalgia factor. OD is very similar to online clans/gaming communities that existed back during the early days of Starcraft, Diablo and other games. It’s DSL system is truly what rekindles the memories and all the hours I spent contacting people for high DSL via Email(I swear it felt like it was an unpaid internship or job). Those who were lucky enough to have Bot programs that logged you into the website when logging onto B.Net were the smart lucky few but not everyone was as shrewd or had the time to develop such a clever mechanism for the game they played on a daily basis.

The next thing that I like about OD is that it’s not based on any one particular game. Rather than being solely focused on one game, it encompasses several big game titles including Starcraft and Diablo and has the flexibility to branch out to other titles provided its memberbase makes the effort to establish a presence within the game. Hence for OD to grow and expand and maintain its status as a gaming clan is a direct result of the members who make up its ranks. In other words, they care enough to keep OD going.

Its a good question to ask though and one that each General and Officer should answer.

Clanning is in my blood, I grew up to this kind of environment and there is nowhere else I feel most at home.

OD's legacy is indeed impressive, most Clans never survive after the original leaders quit, but OD has managed to do so not just once, but time, after time, after time. How it has managed to do that would be a very interesting subject of debate.

• Like 1

Unlike the rest of you that have commented, I have not had prior clanning experience. OD is my first real taste of that, and honestly it'll likely be my only taste of it as I have no plans of going anywhere.

I suppose the reason I stayed since Aion and the reason I'm still here is the fact that no matter what games you are playing, you always will have someone to chat with and have a good time with. The overall environment that I've experienced is a positive one, one that keeps me looking forward to logging on everyday to keep annoying these silly people. You can't really get that outside of the clan, at least not that I've experienced.. So I guess it's the relationships that I've made with people and the friendships that I hope to keep for a while that keep me here in OD. 

• Like 1

Those of us from older clanning generations are living proof at just how long those ties to your old clan members can keep you connected. Over a decade ago my relation with Terakahn was not so different from my relation with you nowadays. We gamed together, chatted together, and worked together, and he would occasionally ask me to yell at people too. Or rather, back then I don't think I needed to be asked so much as I just did it on my own.

And here we are, more years later than any of us would have thought possible, chatting and posting. Perhaps in 10 years, @MelodicRose(OD) you and I will have similar conversations. People at that time would wonder who you are, and what past relation we had together. And I'll tell them about that time we used to play Final Fantasy together. And we'll try and coax you into joining the community because I will say "A former Officer/General/Commander of OD would be a great boon to have along". Life works in strange ways like that, and Clans can affect our lives far more than we ever realize.

The ties that bind us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Terra said:

Those of us from older clanning generations are living proof at just how long those ties to your old clan members can keep you connected. Over a decade ago my relation with Terakahn was not so different from my relation with you nowadays. We gamed together, chatted together, and worked together, and he would occasionally ask me to yell at people too. Or rather, back then I don't think I needed to be asked so much as I just did it on my own.

And here we are, more years later than any of us would have thought possible, chatting and posting. Perhaps in 10 years, @MelodicRose(OD) you and I will have similar conversations. People at that time would wonder who you are, and what past relation we had together. And I'll tell them about that time we used to play Final Fantasy together. And we'll try and coax you into joining the community because I will say "A former Officer/General/Commander of OD would be a great boon to have along". Life works in strange ways like that, and Clans can affect our lives far more than we ever realize.

The ties that bind us.

If that is not an outright endorsement/foreshadowing your eventual rise through the ranks @MelodicRose(OD) I don’t know what is. So quit telling me to stop “promoting” you ;) Btw, you will be making Officer in the coming weeks :p

10 hours ago, Terra said:

To be honest, I completely look forward to that. That's an aspect of clanning that I've grown to love, the long lasting friendships that I've made here. I've learned quite alot from you Terra, I hope to have the ability to chat and game with you and many others in the future :) 

1 hour ago, DarkHelmet said:

If that is not an outright endorsement/foreshadowing your eventual rise through the ranks @MelodicRose(OD) I don’t know what is. So quit telling me to stop “promoting” you ;) Btw, you will be making Officer in the coming weeks :p

Sir, you are trying REAL hard xD, I appreciate the kind words from everyone, we'll see what the future holds :P

• Like 1

I feel like OD has been a place to learn for me in the current games that I play.  The information that the members have bestowed upon me have upped my game, or at least made me feel that way.  I have been able to make friends, and meet people who are like minded.  Being able to play in-houses every week also gives me a for sure time where I can practice my league play, while still trying to be competitive.  

I really enjoy the forum, site, and logistical clan things.  Planning events and reaching out to members, detrimental things that helps this clan, any clan function. It's nice to be able to feel like I've been home, after being gone for so long.  

And lastly the friends that I made back in my teen years mean a lot to me.  I don't know if they truly knew what I was going through growing up, but no matter because they were there.  Whether they had any idea or not, I leaned on them more than ever, because I didn't have a social life, and my personal life was falling apart with a disease I couldn't control.  I didn't have close friends in high school.  But these people I met and knew online made me feel welcome.  They invited me to play.  The included me.  And some even looked up to me.  I had a kid punch me in the gut, smack me, and then throw me down between the bus seats one day while getting ready to go play baseball out of town.  Then for the rest of that bus trip, the Varsity team threw boogers in my hair along with the kid next to me.  That was the kind of treatment I received.  Then I came home and signed into my account as an officer in tS, and all that bullshit went away.  The people in the clan were more friends to me then they ever realized.  I don't want to say that I would have taken my life as an adolescent.  But I know that they helped deter those feelings. 

Tessaril, Canberk, DH, Tera, Globe, Danny, CandyCanes, Mykel.....the list goes on... either way...

I don't have all those friends still around, but I do talk to quite a few of them, and at least 3 of them are on this forum.  

Since I've joined OD, I was reunited with Tess, I have had a GREAT PM thread with DH, I met soooo many more people that have become somewhat of another group of online friends.  My circumstances aren't nearly as dire, I do still have the disease however I'm alright with my current position I'm at in life, but I enjoy their time all the same.  MelodicRose, TypeReal, Aerineth, 2poor, Bones....the list is really freakin long with OD members, because they have all been super awesome to me.  Someone they don't know, someone they have never met, but yet they are willing to include me in what's going on.  And that is why I like OD.

TL;DR  I like OD because it's all inclusive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Tessaril, Canberk, DH, Tera, Globe, Danny, CandyCanes, Mykel.....the list goes on... either way...

Dude, Globe was the best lol. One of the most energetic people I ever met online. 

19 hours ago, Terra said:

We gamed together, chatted together, and worked together, and he would occasionally ask me to yell at people too. Or rather, back then I don't think I needed to be asked so much as I just did it on my own.

Getting soft in your old age? Or maybe you just felt like you had more to prove back then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terakahn said:

Getting soft in your old age? Or maybe you just felt like you had more to prove back then.

No I was just a bitch back then.

Psh. We were teenagers. Everyone was a bitch back then. Maybe even me ; )

For what it's worth, even after all these years I believe that a good yelling can do a lot of good =p. 

These kids need a little tough love every now and then to get them through all the bullshit life throws at them. 

One of the things I find most interesting about all this is how clans seem to be a safe haven, an escape for a lot of people. As they grow as a person, and develop through their experiences, they no longer need that escape and are better equipped to deal with their external obstacles. But choose to keep going because of way it continues to influence them. It's kind of cool. 

1 hour ago, Terra said:

No I was just an asshole back then.

Fixed.

PS: I knew it! I’m surrounded by Assholes!

PSS: I can never let a Spaceball moment go to waste.

@SupremeJester You know Nick(Globe) is in Med school according to Terakahn. If Tera had the audacity, he’d poke him about dropping by here. He was not only a Forum whore but the guy was on AIM a ton too. Wonder if he knows AIM is going away.