Sign in to follow this  
DarkHelmet

Clan/Division competition idea

On another community that I was apart of awhile back, they used a system based off of Harry Potter no less where members were "Housed" into groups like those in the Harry Potter series. My idea is to create a bit of competition between the Divisions by having FPS(CSGO, BF1, OW), RTS/MOBA(LoL, HotS, SC1/2), MMORPG(WoW, SWTOR, FF14 or w/e number they're on now) and Diablo(seriously D2 and D3 are large enough to form their own House) compete against one another in terms of Recruiting(each recruit that successfully passes their trial), Retention(penalize for each member that DSL's out), participates and/or wins a Community sponsored event(Cards against Humanity, Drunken Rocket League, Starcraft 2 Arcade(like Desert Strike or something fun that can be accessed for FREE via Starter Edition), Community Bingo(get to know your fellow Houses) and so on) and other events I've yet to think of.

Names of the houses can be decided upon by House Elders(in this case Generals and Officers). For example FPS house could be called "Headshot" or something related to FPS while RTS could be Ragnorak and Roll(although Rag couldnt lead it unless he wants to?). For much of the scoring, the site logs keep track(logs never lie) while event hosts record attendance and winners. Commanders ultimately would be the arbiters, awarding or penalizing groups and settling any disputes or issues by decree(they're Commanders for a reason so damnit time to wield that big stick).

Participation in the "Houses" is completely voluntary but participation would be an easy way for you to get noticed by superiors. However, membership in the Houses must be kept even for parity sake and to keep the competition relatively fair. Thoughts?

Edited by DarkHelmet

This sounds fun competition. I like it

I love the idea! @DarkHelmet should be put up for a promotion!  Instant general status!!

1 hour ago, SupremeJester said:

I love the idea! @DarkHelmet should be put up for a promotion!  Instant general status!!

Keep it up and I'll place a bounty on your head for one million spacebucks. Granted a set-rank would be the easiest way to spite me in my attempts to remain Enlisted(I probably could have made Officer by now if I was 15 years younger).

This sounds fun o-o It'd also give us a chance to meet more people in OD.. although I'm sure the D2/D3 people are already pretty well acquainted with each other :P

+1 :)

It's an interesting idea, the problem is I don't think it'd be very even. Diablo 2 recruits more members on a regular basis than all other Divisions combined, you'd pretty much have to make it D2 vs All to have a hope of an even playing field. And although you could add "score" for winners in events like Cards Against Humanity and Drunken Rocket League (which has never really been much of a competition so much as just crazy playing, if I'm going to be honest) these events only happen once a month, even if you made it worth more to win them, the bulk of the score would still come from recruiting, which is really the only other universal similarity between Divisions. Even taking into account that the D2 Division also has more people drop regularly due to their sheer size, I think you'd still end up with a lopsided event as soon as they start taking the competition seriously.

I'm not suggesting the idea be shut down entirely, but you have a difficult challenge to work out. Established Divisions in general tend to have an advantage with better organization and more potential recruiters compare to budding Divisions that are still largely dependent entirely on their Division Leader. You need to somehow ensure that the playing field remains even without diminishing the efforts of a Division's recruiters to the point where they get discouraged, and that's pretty hard to manage.

1 hour ago, Terra said:

It's an interesting idea, the problem is I don't think it'd be very even. Diablo 2 recruits more members on a regular basis than all other Divisions combined, you'd pretty much have to make it D2 vs All to have a hope of an even playing field. And although you could add "score" for winners in events like Cards Against Humanity and Drunken Rocket League (which has never really been much of a competition so much as just crazy playing, if I'm going to be honest) these events only happen once a month, even if you made it worth more to win them, the bulk of the score would still come from recruiting, which is really the only other universal similarity between Divisions. Even taking into account that the D2 Division also has more people drop regularly due to their sheer size, I think you'd still end up with a lopsided event as soon as they start taking the competition seriously.

I'm not suggesting the idea be shut down entirely, but you have a difficult challenge to work out. Established Divisions in general tend to have an advantage with better organization and more potential recruiters compare to budding Divisions that are still largely dependent entirely on their Division Leader. You need to somehow ensure that the playing field remains even without diminishing the efforts of a Division's recruiters to the point where they get discouraged, and that's pretty hard to manage.

Well, isn’t it basically D2 vs. the world in OD to begin with? Be it clan awards or other potential competitions, their sheer size complicates matters. I acknowledged in my OP that participation would be voluntary and that the Houses would have to be even so as to maintain as even of a playing field as possible. Admittedly, despite those limitations, D2 might still come out on top due to the caliber of members and the ease at which it is to recruit on the game that is pushing 20 years old(a surprising feat that I largely chalk up to the WoWifcation of Diablo 3).

It still would be nice to have events or competitions pitting Divisions/Groups against one another. The bare minimum objective or goal behind this is to get people to explore the variety of games we support and what more this clan has to offer as opposed to sitting in the dark playing their one main game.

For a time many awards did favor D2 pretty heavily, a couple traditional ones still might but overall I think we've done a great job of evening it out by changing certain awards to something that all people and divisions have more equal chance of achieving. And that's the same idea you need to strive for with this as well.

I definitely think having a competition between Divisions in some form is an excellent idea, and would be a great asset if you can pull it off. But it needs to be something that isn't based on quantity. Something like a competition between Divisions to put on the most creative event they can think of, or submit the most stellar recording of their game, or the most spirited group picture of their members. Get a small roster of judges and competitions like those are a lot more viable.

Or having divisions nominate members to compete at a certain game. Like maybe the head of "Headshot" and "Ragnarok and Roll" or even a team play a game from each division or something and do like most rocket kills with pharah on overwatch or something to that affect that would get exposure from all divisions.

So I've been thinking it over and this is how I'd set something like this up. There will be 4 Houses or Teams. Teams will be even in terms of numbers and participants may apply for a particular Team or House but ultimately I and/or Commanders will decide where to place them for balance sake. The more people that participate, the more competitive and fun this type of thing will be. Of course, if you participate, each House will be expected to contend in Events and each House will elect a Leader from which they will be responsible in organizing their Team's representation at Events. In addition, each House must host an Event(on whatever game or platform OD supports) at least once a month. The event must not conflict with other hosted Events and will be judged by either myself or Commanders(I prefer Commanders considering your status within the Clan). If a House can not attend an Event, for whatever reason, they lose out on the chance at earning points. Consider this motivation to branch out to other games besides the one you're accustomed to playing on a daily basis.

In addition to each House hosting an event, there will be Community sponsored events such as Drunken Rocket League being hosted that are open to all Houses. The more events that you participate in, the more opportunities for you to be awarded points. Also an increased potential for you to be penalized(BM and other OD rules will apply). DSL'ing out is a big penalty so if you participate, better keep an eye on that DSL number.

Here are the Four Houses(subject to change but I think they'll be good. Might notice they're all based on video game characters).

House#1: Jigglypuff's Marauders. What you thought it'd be that Yellow Rat that has been on Japanese airwaves for 20 years now? Besides... those eyes are deceptively malicious as it lulls you into a false sense of security before it stabs a knife into your back. @MelodicRose(OD) this House is for you if you want it :biggrin:

For those wondering what Jigglypuff is, just watch this [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZQnsVHTCGU]Jigglypuff[/url]

House#2: Triforce. Link is an iconic character and one that has been around for nearly as long as I've been alive. If you're a fearless individual who will rush into danger with nothing but a Sword and Shield, then this house is for you. Boomerangs, Fairy Bow's and endless amounts of Bombs are included. You may not wish death upon your enemies however(unless you're Ganon).

House#3: Sonicboom. Nice try if you thought this was Street Fighter but Guile has nothing on this next video game icon. If you have a need for speed, look no further than the iconic Hedgehog in Sonic. First time playing a Sega Gensis made my eyeballs roll at the speed at which Sonic moved and if you have the reflexes of a FPS player, then this House is for you.

House#4: Fox's Mercenaries. Star Fox introduced me to Fox McCloud and his band of Merc's and I must admit I wasn't disappointed all those years ago. If you value Teamwork and giving your foe's a hard time, then this Team is for you.

Name's of Houses are subject to change but I figured I'd throw out Iconic Video Game characters as the House mascots. I mean sure there are tons of popular ones to choose from(Mario, Master Chief... I could go on). However, whatever the House name becomes, that House must have an emblem like those in Harry Potter(like a lion for Gryffindor).

On 9/27/2017 at 7:56 PM, MelodicRose(OD) said:

This sounds fun o-o It'd also give us a chance to meet more people in OD.. although I'm sure the D2/D3 people are already pretty well acquainted with each other :P

+1 :)

So much so that every night I leave a flaming bag of animal feces on the diablo2 doorstep oh shit now they know I mean it was @PJPotter(OD) no no it was @DarkHelmet