Opal(OD)

Dumbell press anyone?

Dost thou even hoist broseiden?

Was struggling for 30lbs a month ago, better form and consistent workouts have lead to getting much stronger ;p

1505192984481608145385.jpg

• Like 1

20 pound increase is great progress.  I am needing to get into the gym, just haven't brought myself to do so yet.  All in good time.  I have the membership, if that's any indication on how serious I am.  I just never go.  >.< 

If you need help setting up routine or anything let me know, I can give you mine from when I started. Just going is the hardest part, after 3 or 4 days it feels natural and after about a week you will feel a difference starting. I noticed faster reaction speeds with gaming and faster decision making in about a month of going daily. Now that I am dieting I am feeling even better, can play much better and much more accurately. Plus I am looking much better than I did, I was 145 lbs now I am about 170lbs with a lower body fat %

I'm at 265 right now I need to lose about 50-60 pounds.  I want to start with a diet but it's just going to the store and buying the material to do that is my roadblock right now.  

What is your diet you are on? 

185lbs benching 315lbs

15 years gym experience, former amature boxer, lived with a nutritionist. If you want any diet plans or training tips feel free to hit me up.

My personal favorite website for diet, change of routine, or just some workouts Im unfamiliar with

Www.bodybuilding.com

It really is the bible to anything gym related, and can actually track your progress for you. It's not just a website for juice monkeys.

Favorite YouTuber for proper form and common mistakes in the gym is

AthleanX

Guy is a wealth of knowledge and responds to comments.

@Opal(OD)

@SupremeJester

On 12/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, SuNSeT said:

185lbs benching 315lbs

15 years gym experience, former amature boxer, lived with a nutritionist. If you want any diet plans or training tips feel free to hit me up.

My personal favorite website for diet, change of routine, or just some workouts Im unfamiliar with

Www.bodybuilding.com

It really is the bible to anything gym related, and can actually track your progress for you. It's not just a website for juice monkeys.

Favorite YouTuber for proper form and common mistakes in the gym is

AthleanX

Guy is a wealth of knowledge and responds to comments.

@Opal(OD)

@SupremeJester

Thanks for the info. 

As an update, I have dropped about 10 pounds.  But it's not been because of a diet or workout plan. ....Well.... kinda.  I definitely have been able to cut down on portion sizes.  I don't eat sweets almost ever.  Which was fairly easy, I didn't eat many before.

My two biggest problems I see right now is the amount of soda I drink.  I understand, any is too much.  I smoke cigs.  Which is just not healthy in general.  And I don't have the motivation to hit the gym.  Now I'm sick, so that is a factor, but over the last week I thought about going to the gym multiple times, thinking about sweating out my sickness.  But I didn't, under the guise of health problem, when it's definitely more that a plugged nose keeping me from the gym. 

8 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Thanks for the info. 

As an update, I have dropped about 10 pounds.  But it's not been because of a diet or workout plan. ....Well.... kinda.  I definitely have been able to cut down on portion sizes.  I don't eat sweets almost ever.  Which was fairly easy, I didn't eat many before.

My two biggest problems I see right now is the amount of soda I drink.  I understand, any is too much.  I smoke cigs.  Which is just not healthy in general.  And I don't have the motivation to hit the gym.  Now I'm sick, so that is a factor, but over the last week I thought about going to the gym multiple times, thinking about sweating out my sickness.  But I didn't, under the guise of health problem, when it's definitely more that a plugged nose keeping me from the gym. 

Hardest part of working out is actually going without a doubt haha. Whether it be a confidence thing, or making excuses as to other things you can do ...getting there is definitely a hurdle in itself.

Most people dont realise that drinks attribute to their weight more then almost anything else. North Americans are the highest consumers of soda by a large margin...id say it's safe to say that there is a direct link between being the highest consumers of soda, and the usa being the most obese nation on the planet...not just a coincidence. It's tough to want a water when your craving a Redbull. But maybe force yourself to have a glass of water before you crack open a pop. May find your not inclined to want a pop after you'e

On 12/4/2017 at 6:10 PM, SuNSeT said:

Hardest part of working out is actually going without a doubt haha. Whether it be a confidence thing, or making excuses as to other things you can do ...getting there is definitely a hurdle in itself.

Most people dont realise that drinks attribute to their weight more then almost anything else. North Americans are the highest consumers of soda by a large margin...id say it's safe to say that there is a direct link between being the highest consumers of soda, and the usa being the most obese nation on the planet...not just a coincidence. It's tough to want a water when your craving a Redbull. But maybe force yourself to have a glass of water before you crack open a pop. May find your not inclined to want a pop after you'e

I think you might be right. 

Wont work with me. Last summer I would drink three containers of water before I could have one of pop. I would through the water back like a shot just to get my soda in.  

I need to just stop it. And quit being a bitch about it. But that cold carbonation is just so GOOD.

lol that's a weird addiction. drink tonic water, I dunno 

On 12/25/2017 at 3:17 PM, SuNSeT said:

lol that's a weird addiction. drink tonic water, I dunno 

Haha well great news, I’m off cigarettes. And I am setting up a workout schedule with my brother in law.  Wish me luck!! :) 

6 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Haha well great news, I’m off cigarettes. And I am setting up a workout schedule with my brother in law.  Wish me luck!! :) 

Hey man best of luck....don't be surprised if initially you start gaining weight, I put on 15lbs when I quit smoking.

4 hours ago, SuNSeT said:

Hey man best of luck....don't be surprised if initially you start gaining weight, I put on 15lbs when I quit smoking.

I don’t have the frame to put on 15 pounds.  Haha I’m only 6’ 2” and 268. Really though, me putting on 15 pounds would be bad news. My arthritis would go bonkers, and getting in and out of bed would start to be tricky, among other things.

Day 1 at the gym was yesterday.  I used the elliptical for a mile.  Did some butterfly press, and then the reverse of that.  I was trying to work out my upper back.  I think I was doing it wrong, I think I also pepped some muscles up that I haven't used in a while.  I then went on to do some Ab work out.  I say Ab because I only have 1.  And I think I pulled it.  I think I pulled my fat roll.  it hurt to sit up after I was done with that yesterday.  Which is a good thing I've been told?  Then I got on the treadmill and walked/jogged a mile.  It was about a 12 minute mile.  So there was a lot more walking than jogging.  But it's a start, and I wanted to stay light so I could still move today. 

All in all my legs are good, which is awesome, they were sore last night.  My chest and back is a little sore to the touch.  But not a pain, just a workout sore.  I will go back today after work.  

Now the real question is, do YOU even lift, bro?  @Opal(OD) @SuNSeT  (Hope your workouts are going well.) 

that's good to hear man. I use to workout at a gym with an older cop that was there...and he mentioned in passing one time, that even getting to the gym and doing next to nothing is a better feeling then sitting at home.

Next time on the treadmill increase the tilt. The more you go to the gym, the more you'll notice the body builders don't run on a treadmill, but they speed walk on an incline. That's because you burn muscle before you burn fat when you jog, and vice versa when you speed walk on a treadmill....and your calves will turn into bulls!

Upper back there are a ton of workouts

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/build-your-classic-v-taper.html

3 of those workouts in there are upper back workouts, your reverse fly's that you did also can target upper back but targeting your lats. 

End of the day its a slow process to get the results you want, because in the end, you are your own biggest critic. Just keep at it, check out what other people are doing, don't be scared to ask questions...obviously don't ask question after question, but if there is a workout your interested in, people will help/show/advise on it.

PS - Day 2 and 3 are the days you really start to feel the pain from working out. Stretch lots, drink lots of water, muscles will start trying to repair the muscle fibres you have overworked...which is a good thing. I hit the rolling pin almost everyday after working out. Great on the back, and helps develop your core muscles (tummy)

The pain you feel is a lactic acid build up in the muscles as they try to repair, easiest way around that is to lift regularly and to hit the sauna/hot tub and stretch whatever you worked out to break up the lactic acid.  The legs and abs are really bad about getting DOMS (Daily Onset Muscle Soreness) they are the muscle groups that hurt for the next few, like up to 72 hours for legs generally just 24-48 for abs, days when worked until fatigue. The burn you feel is good though, embrace it, the soreness will be less noticeable after about a week or 2 of regular workouts, other than leg day, leg day is like putting your body through a blazing hot forge. Never skip legs though as they emit the most testosterone when worked out and therefore helps the rest of the body grow.

So Wednesday night was the best performance in basketball that I have had in a long time.  Thursday I had a date, and didn't work out, Friday I ended up in the hospital.  Yesterday I was out of town.  But I'll be back in the gym today when I get home from work.  

My biggest concern is just slimming down the stomach.  I'm not fat.  At 6'2" I way 265 lb, but I would like to lose my stomach roll, or at least trim it down.  I'll start doing a little more of a speed walk on an incline.  

We shall see how this week continues.  I'm excited for the prospect of what this is doing for me.  It's part of a lot of life changes that is going on for me.  

Also I'm looking for more lower back things, because I know that I have poor core muscles.  I would not like to throw out my back, because all I do is abs.  

On 1/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, SuNSeT said:

This is awesome thanks!! 

On 1/10/2018 at 1:09 PM, Opal(OD) said:

Never skip legs though as they emit the most testosterone when worked out and therefore helps the rest of the body grow.

I did not know that about legs.  That's great info. :) Thanks. 

Edited by SupremeJester
more info

That's good @SupremeJester to hear your getting out there and actually going. Getting to the gym is 95% of the battle in itself haha. Easy to make excuses not to go. I can assure you, there won't be a time that you'll feel better about yourself for not going.

As for the tummy...that one is something everyone wants to shed in the gym. Takes a lot of discipline with diet and routine to hit that optimal range, but obviously not everyone has that kind of discipline (myself included)

But here is the good news. Focusing on core is not going to put out your back. In fact, strengthening your abdominal, takes the needless weight your carrying off your back.

Here's some core workouts you can do without constantly doing crunches.

Also you can focus on isolating when doing shoulders, chest, arms by only lifting one dumb bell at a time. And leaving the other one in the ready position. I can explain more if I'm losing ya ;)

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ab-dominate-your-no-crunch-core-workout.html

Edited by SuNSeT

2 hours ago, SuNSeT said:

That's good @SupremeJester to hear your getting out there and actually going. Getting to the gym is 95% of the battle in itself haha. Easy to make excuses not to go. I can assure you, there won't be a time that you'll feel better about yourself for not going.

As for the tummy...that one is something everyone wants to shed in the gym. Takes a lot of discipline with diet and routine to hit that optimal range, but obviously not everyone has that kind of discipline (myself included)

But here is the good news. Focusing on core is not going to put out your back. In fact, strengthening your abdominal, takes the needless weight your carrying off your back.

Here's some core workouts you can do without constantly doing crunches.

Also you can focus on isolating when doing shoulders, chest, arms by only lifting one dumb bell at a time. And leaving the other one in the ready position. I can explain more if I'm losing ya ;)

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ab-dominate-your-no-crunch-core-workout.html

I had to have been one of those guys at the gym last night that everyone knows they have no idea what they are doing.  I got on an incline bench that was isolate and started doing rows.  It was pretty uncomfortable, and I felt hella funny doing it.  I did a set then turned to some guys I hadn't seen in 15 years, both looked like they had been going since they were 12, and asked them if there was a better way to do that lift.  They talked to me about a few options.  Told me I did look pretty funny.  But also told me that I was working stabilizer muscles with the way I was doing it, trying to make me feel better. 

I have been doing a lot of leg lifts on the machine that you can hold yourself up and do dips on it as well.  But I can't do them very well.  Doing them well isn't the point, just trying to do them is what I'm shooting for.  

I'm also a very social person, and I try not to talk to everyone...but it happens sometimes, a comment here or there .  I know that a lot of people don't like it.  What's the rule on talking to other people?  And what's the rule on trying to get a date?  Big no no? 

I dont go to the gym to get hit on so why would they? That is my general mindset, if you have questions feel free, see someone doing something you dont understand ask questions, we were all new to lifting at some point. Now if you and a girl make eye contact a bunch in a workout say hi but dont force anything :) 

Haha we all start somewhere...I had an old-school gym buff from prob the 70s give me pointers on my bench last year. Always good to get another approach or help.

As for talking in the gym it's fine but keep it buisness. Little comment or whatever...some people may drag it out and then you know they're fine to chat with here and there. For the most part people are their for a time of solace, helps them Zen out or whatever. So be conscious that not everyone wants to sit and chat in "the house of pain"

As for picking up chicks in the gym, I wouldn't suggest it...never been my style. That being said, I have ran into women from my gym at the bar and ended up picking them up then or at a later point. 

All in all, general rule of thumb, is you don't piss in your own pool

Edited by SuNSeT

On 1/17/2018 at 7:28 PM, SuNSeT said:

Haha we all start somewhere...I had an old-school gym buff from prob the 70s give me pointers on my bench last year. Always good to get another approach or help.

As for talking in the gym it's fine but keep it buisness. Little comment or whatever...some people may drag it out and then you know they're fine to chat with here and there. For the most part people are their for a time of solace, helps them Zen out or whatever. So be conscious that not everyone wants to sit and chat in "the house of pain"

As for picking up chicks in the gym, I wouldn't suggest it...never been my style. That being said, I have ran into women from my gym at the bar and ended up picking them up then or at a later point. 

All in all, general rule of thumb, is you don't piss in your own pool

TL;DR Had a great day at the gym, even though I cut it short.  Feel great today. 

I'll stay away then.  However I feel like a perv because I feel like I stare at people.  I have always been that way.  Even if it's just walking by a door of a volley ball practice, or something brief like that.  I hated walking around our gym complex at college when there was some type of practice going on, that's just a weird quirk.

Also I need to confirm with the gym rules about taking off shoes?  Not in the weights area, but they have a downstairs that is almost like a dance studio.  I would like to do some acting exercises that require me to be shoe-less.  But I don't want to get in trouble so I will ask. 

What do you have for forearms?  I did curls, incline bench, and some standing pull downs on a machine.  I'm sure I doubled up on the same muscles, but I left feeling good, and feeling even better today when I woke up.

It was hard to reach my first mile on the eliptical yesterday and I wanted to quit.  The last mile on the treadmill was cut down to half a mile, I just don't want to overdo things, and I had a pretty steep incline. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, Opal(OD) said:

I dont go to the gym to get hit on so why would they? That is my general mindset, if you have questions feel free, see someone doing something you dont understand ask questions, we were all new to lifting at some point. Now if you and a girl make eye contact a bunch in a workout say hi but dont force anything :) 

Sorry for the double post but I missed Opal's response. 

I'll keep that in mind.  I don't think that I have the courage to do something like that.  Just because I feel like a creeper if I look at a girl in yoga pants anyways, and I don't want to be that creeper. (My biggest insecurities are lumped into this thread.) 

Jester, I would recommend finding something that requires you to be active that you enjoy doing to do as well.  For me it was Muay Thai.  In addition to hitting the gym I had something that kept me interested in staying fit for quite a long time.  Before I got into Muay Thai I couldnt put on weight to save my life.  I was sickly skinny (6 foot and 135 lbs as an adult).  After training and hitting the gym and actually eating healthy for the first time in my life I got up to 185 lbs with only about 5% or so body fat.  Was very fun to train and compete as a younger man.  Now that I do not train anymore I retain a weight of about 165 lbs which is pretty average for my build.  Most important thing you can do though is limit what goes in your body.  Like they said above, soft drinks are the worse.

• Like 1

Well any workout or muscle group you want to work, can be found on bodybuilding.com

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/muscle/forearms

It really is the bible for working out.

I think one thing you need to remember about going to the gym is, it's not there to make other's perceptions of you improve, the gym is there to help you improve on yourself. 

Basically don't go to the gym to impress anyone but yourself.

When you start to feel good about You, your charisma will attract other people that want to feel good about themselves.

I don't generally chat up people at the gym because I'm in my own zone of meditation. If there is a fit girl who's caught your eye, there is nothing wrong with checking them out, just keep in your subconscious that they're probably also in their own zone...which doesn't necessarily mean they want you staring at them haha. And if they catch you, give a smile and get back to work ;)

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, Atrayas(OD) said:

Jester, I would recommend finding something that requires you to be active that you enjoy doing to do as well.  For me it was Muay Thai.  In addition to hitting the gym I had something that kept me interested in staying fit for quite a long time.  Before I got into Muay Thai I couldnt put on weight to save my life.  I was sickly skinny (6 foot and 135 lbs as an adult).  After training and hitting the gym and actually eating healthy for the first time in my life I got up to 185 lbs with only about 5% or so body fat.  Was very fun to train and compete as a younger man.  Now that I do not train anymore I retain a weight of about 165 lbs which is pretty average for my build.  Most important thing you can do though is limit what goes in your body.  Like they said above, soft drinks are the worse.

Soft drinks are the only thing that gets my day started.  It's easier for me to grab a soda then to make some coffee.  It will come, just not quite yet.  I've had some major changes to my body recently and I'm still getting back into things.  But so far I'm sitting at 6'2 and 267 ish.  Hopefully this will change.  (It will change drastically when I start taking in more water than anything else.

On 1/21/2018 at 5:59 PM, SuNSeT said:

Well any workout or muscle group you want to work, can be found on bodybuilding.com

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/muscle/forearms

It really is the bible for working out.

I started working out with my brother in law.  His dad trained with Larry Scott and Lou Ferrigno back in the day.  He isn't his father by any means but he understands muscle groups and that's what we started yesterday.  :)  I'm excited that he is coming just because he will help me keep going.  I know that I need to show up no matter what, but I'm glad I have a buddy to be there with.  

On 1/21/2018 at 5:59 PM, SuNSeT said:

I don't generally chat up people at the gym because I'm in my own zone of meditation. If there is a fit girl who's caught your eye, there is nothing wrong with checking them out, just keep in your subconscious that they're probably also in their own zone...which doesn't necessarily mean they want you staring at them haha. And if they catch you, give a smile and get back to work ;)

It's really weird living in a small town.  I know so many people that go to the gym.  And I wave to a lot of other people.  Yesterday I was in the zone and someone walked up behind me and flicked me in the side to tell me goodbye.  It scared the shit out of me and I felt like I almost fell.  haha.  I understand now.  I won't be chatting anyone up any time soon. 

16 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Soft drinks are the only thing that gets my day started.  It's easier for me to grab a soda then to make some coffee.  It will come, just not quite yet.  I've had some major changes to my body recently and I'm still getting back into things.  But so far I'm sitting at 6'2 and 267 ish.  Hopefully this will change.  (It will change drastically when I start taking in more water than anything else.

I started working out with my brother in law.  His dad trained with Larry Scott and Lou Ferrigno back in the day.  He isn't his father by any means but he understands muscle groups and that's what we started yesterday.  :)  I'm excited that he is coming just because he will help me keep going.  I know that I need to show up no matter what, but I'm glad I have a buddy to be there with.  

It's really weird living in a small town.  I know so many people that go to the gym.  And I wave to a lot of other people.  Yesterday I was in the zone and someone walked up behind me and flicked me in the side to tell me goodbye.  It scared the shit out of me and I felt like I almost fell.  haha.  I understand now.  I won't be chatting anyone up any time soon. 

Oh I wasn't aware you live in a small town. I grew up in a small town as well, gym etiquette is different in a small town haha. 

Still the house of pain, but don't waste your time while your in there. You'll find the more you go, the more people will engage in brief conversation.

Keep at it man. In a few months you'll feel like you have skipped a vital part of your day if you skip the gym...it's a healthy addiction.

Ps - that is awesome your buddy's dad worked out with those boys. Pioneers of weight training, in a day, that it was total taboo. If you haven't watched Pumping Iron, I suggest checking it out.

Edited by SuNSeT