Xayj(OD)

Member behind the mic #7 with Terra(OD)

26 posts in this topic

Hello OD Gamers! Terra(OD) has been kind enough to give us a peek behind the curtain and give us some insight into her life. She took the time the answer some questions with some entertaining answers. 

So please take the few minutes to give it a read. I'm sure she'd appreciate it. 

http://theodreview.overdosed.net/2017/09/05/member-behind-the-mic-7-with-terraod/

I really enjoyed the last sentence about wisdom. 

Do you agree with the tradition of leaving elders to die in a deserted area once they become of age or do you cherish whatever wisdom they may have until their dying breath?

A tradition of death doesn't have to be exclusive to elders, if you ask me.

But morbidity aside I see no practical purpose abandoning our elders to die could possibly serve. Perhaps my opinion will change in the event of a zombie apocalypse, but in this day and age we have the means to care for our elders just fine, there's no need to leave them behind. I know that my Grandmother, who is now nearing her mid-90's, still to this day remains a very capable debater and source of perspective in the world, it's actually pretty obvious where I inherited my debating genes from. I've learned a lot from her, not just about life but also about myself as well when I see my similarities in her.

My grandfather is... well a little less inspiring, but I'm sure that joke about the millionaire gets funnier every time I visit. Not all of our elderly may have valuable wisdom and life experiences to share but the ratio of those that do compare to those that don't is certainly higher than the rest of society, and whether it is spreading the lessons of life, or chasing young whippersnappers off their lawn, they certainly have the potential to better the world in some form or another.

Not entirely comparative to our Commanders, but then I suppose it's not entirely different either, all things considered.

An American Indian Short Story about Respect by Dennis Banks

There once was a man, who was raising his young son. The mother had passed away in childbirth and he was teaching his son all that he knew. This son, grew up and in time wanted to go to a nearby village and find him a companion. Many months passed and the young man returned to his home, and with him he had a woman, his wife. They lived in the home of his father.

Shortly after, they had a son. And the father, now a grandfather began teaching this young boy all that he knew. How to respect the forest, the animals and life. The mother, tiring of sharing her home with the old man told her husband that she wanted the old man out.

The father spoke "I cannot, this is his home and he built if for us." She spoke "If you do not make him leave then I will take our son and I will leave." The father agreed and spoke to his son. "My son, tomorrow I want you to take Grandpa out and leave him. Give him this blanket." The young boy cried. "Why do you do this? Grandpa has been teaching me all that I know. Why do I have to do this to him?" The father spoke. "Son, follow the wishes of your father." So the next morning, the father went hunting to the North. The son took Grandpa as far as he could walk to the South.

That evening the young boy was sitting on the bed crying when his father came in. He saw the blanket on the bed. "Son, I though I told you to give Grandpa the blanket?" "I gave Grandpa half of the blanket. The other half, I will give to you some day." The mother and father understood the message. And they went and brought Grandpa back.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the read @Terra.  

So the involving online life into your resume.  When I was applying to a position that I received in college I opened up my Photobucket and showed them all the graphics that I had done for the clans I had been in.  I explained to them why I created them, and how I created them.  They called me back the next day and offered me the position.  I hadn't thought about it until I read your interview.  I think it's awesome that you were able to touch on your admin experience. 

As far as the rank hopping.  I remember I used to BEG to get into officer ranks with people.  I mean I would also be putting in some work.  But I wanted to see all the hidden boards on the forums.  That was my only real goal.  I didn't care what I had to do, I just wanted to see the forum boards.  XD

Great interview, I really enjoyed it.

@Xayj(OD) One day you will have a behind the mic with First Sargent  SupremeJester.  On that day.  Shit will get real, real quick. 

If you enjoyed it then I suppose it was worth doing. Glad you liked it, it took Xayj nearly 2 months of careful meditation beneath the great falls of the holy land before the Gods revealed to him the questions that must be asked of me. The world will never be the same again for it.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:45 PM, Terra said:

If you enjoyed it then I suppose it was worth doing. Glad you liked it, it took Xayj nearly 2 months of careful meditation beneath the great falls of the holy land before the Gods revealed to him the questions that must be asked of me. The world will never be the same again for it.

I can think of a few questions I would love to ask you. 

2 minutes ago, SupremeJester said:

I can think of a few questions I would love to ask you. 

YOU HAD TWO MONTHS TO POST QUESTIONS! TWO MONTHS!!!!!!!!! ASD;LFKJHASD'LKFJA;LSDKJF;LASDKJF;LAKSDF;LKASJDF;LKAJSDF;LKAJSDFL;KAJSD;LFKJAS;DLFKJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xayj(OD) said:

YOU HAD TWO MONTHS TO POST QUESTIONS! TWO MONTHS!!!!!!!!! ASD;LFKJHASD'LKFJA;LSDKJF;LASDKJF;LAKSDF;LKASJDF;LKAJSDF;LKAJSDFL;KAJSD;LFKJAS;DLFKJ

I would hate for you to ask Terra to marry me.  I would rather it be me asking her myself.  Thank you for the offer though Xayj. 

• Like 1

Just now, SupremeJester said:

I would hate for you to ask Terra to marry me.  I would rather it be me asking her myself.  Thank you for the offer though Xayj. 

fair enough....lol

16 minutes ago, Xayj(OD) said:

fair enough....lol

However, it could have been a huge set up.  Leading to the first ever OD marriage?  :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

However, it could have been a huge set up.  Leading to the first ever OD marriage?  :D 

I apologize @Terra.  This got off Track.  I have always thought of your writing as very well worded.  Often times in tS I would enjoy reading your passages just because I could get the big picture.  Sometimes it was information heavy and long those points I struggled making it through.  Regardless, how has being in those positions helped your writing skills while in school?  While in those higher up positions did you draft some of the things that were important before you sent it out.  Allowing for revisions?  Or was it more of a free run, write it up and send type of situation? 

6 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Yes, it could have been quite a momentous event, on par with the moment humans first explore the inside of a black hole. They'd be quite similar, in fact, in the sense that in both cases neither could escape, and neither is likely to be heard from again.

34 minutes ago, SupremeJester said:

This got off Track.  I have always thought of your writing as very well worded.  Often times in tS I would enjoy reading your passages just because I could get the big picture.  Sometimes it was information heavy and long those points I struggled making it through.  Regardless, how has being in those positions helped your writing skills while in school?  While in those higher up positions did you draft some of the things that were important before you sent it out.  Allowing for revisions?  Or was it more of a free run, write it up and send type of situation? 

30,000 posts worth of experience writing on forums throughout the years has certainly given me a natural talent for writing, and these years I try to at least sneak in some humor to make it more worth reading rather than making it one large information dump. But it did help a lot in school, mostly during my Design year, my instructors favored my writing skills to the point where I was often the one to proof-read and edit the Design documents our class made for our games. My presentation skills were also above most of the class as well, an advantage I probably gained over them from the time I have spent running meetings or explaining Clan workings and decisions to people in Teamspeak.

These skills caught the eye of a particular instructor I had, who had just joined up with a company as the lead designer for a mobile game they were developing, and he knew they were looking for someone to work CSR for them. He felt I would be a good fit, and offered me the opportunity. During the interview I talked briefly about the kind of work I did with people in OD specifically, the kind of problems I faced and how I handled them. A month later they subcontracted me to work for them. 7 months after that they hired me as a full-time employee for their company, and 2 months after that they made me the manager of their CSR.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, SupremeJester said:

@Xayj(OD) One day you will have a behind the mic with First Sargent  SupremeJester.  On that day.  Shit will get real, real quick. 

pfft Ive been dying for the chance to have this opportunity and besides My life is way more fucked up than most people haha you got to read the pg 13 verison xD.

9 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

Pretty sure there could have been a couple others. I get the feeling that there have definitely been some relationships spark out of OD. Whether they make it to marriage is unknown to me.

1 hour ago, Aerineth(OD) said:

Pretty sure there could have been a couple others. I get the feeling that there have definitely been some relationships spark out of OD. Whether they make it to marriage is unknown to me.

I got some stories for you , whenever you want to hear them you know where to find me lol 

Until then, this will be the day remembered as the day you almost caught FS SupremeJester(OD). 

5 hours ago, Terra said:

Yes, it could have been quite a momentous event, on par with the moment humans first explore the inside of a black hole. They'd be quite similar, in fact, in the sense that in both cases neither could escape, and neither is likely to be heard from again.

It's ok, I'm not heard from much anymore anyways.  But thanks for entertaining the thought. >.< 

That's an awesome timeline breakdown. I enjoyed it. I think you touched on some of that in the questions that @Xayj(OD) asked. Good stuff overall. 

16 hours ago, SupremeJester said:

It's ok, I'm not heard from much anymore anyways.  But thanks for entertaining the thought. >.<

Says the guy who just came from singing in a live concert.

Oh....Well then...

350.png

Edited by SupremeJester

On 9/18/2017 at 5:07 PM, Terra said:

30,000 posts worth of experience writing on forums throughout the years has certainly given me a natural talent for writing

If brevity is the soul of wit, then you have whatever the opposite of "wit" is.

7 hours ago, SnowWhite said:

Should I go dig up some of your more infamous posts to serve as a better example then?

Grabs popcorn.  Snow is calling out Terra, I'll give the play by play. 

On 10/3/2017 at 8:05 PM, SnowWhite said:

Shallow vocabulary, no antonym for wit.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:57 AM, Terra said:

Should I go dig up some of your more infamous posts to serve as a better example then?

Terra with a threatening reply.  Could she be serious, to bring up something from the past?   

Tune in next time for the conclusion! 

• Like 1

God, I came back to find this? I expected better of both of you.

• Like 1