Sign in to follow this  
Ravemore(OD)

Official Overdosed Discord Server

After much discussion, the admins have decided to support an official discord server. I have offered my discord that is already branded OD. For those who haven’t visited the discord server yet. You can do so by clicking this link https://discord.gg/QP57wVh.

The rules can be found below. Any additional questions can be addressed by contacting an Officer or General via PM here, on the website, on TS3, or on Discord.

Edited by Collin(OD)
  • Upvote 1

Please note that this is the only official OD Discord, and the only Discord in which OD's community values will be upheld. All other Discords are outside of our responsibility, and participation in those other Discords will not be considered being active within the Clan itself, no matter their relation to any particular Divisions.

My only question is in regards to clutter: Discord is a relatively linear setup and having as many channels as teamspeak would be annoying as all hell. Can we generalize certain channels and keep it maintained as a solidified medium? I would consider 20 channels being a maximum. Thats my opinion though.

That's why we're using it as an addition to our Teamspeak voice chat, instead of a replacement. It's not going to have as many channels as Teamspeak.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Links(OD) said:

My only question is in regards to clutter: Discord is a relatively linear setup and having as many channels as teamspeak would be annoying as all hell. Can we generalize certain channels and keep it maintained as a solidified medium? I would consider 20 channels being a maximum. Thats my opinion though.

Over 3/4th of the channels on TS are not being used. 

Discord is free, and more secure... Why haven't we made a transition yet? Yes, I'm talking about a full replacement of TS. The server stability of discord far surpasses TS plus there's no IP leaks if anyone is worried about that. Personally I know no1 in OD would abuse such information. But I still run a vpn when connected to TS or any site connected with OD.

Edit - My suggestion for the transition is replacing the sidebar on the website with the discord widget.. After the service ends ofc.

2nd edit - Not to mention you can grab the host IP from TS rather easily.  Where discord it's a lot harder.

Edited by Ganesh(OD)

12 minutes ago, Ganesh(OD) said:

Over 3/4th of the channels on TS are not being used. 

Discord is free, and more secure... Why haven't we made a transition yet? Yes, I'm talking about a full replacement of TS. The server stability of discord far surpasses TS plus there's no IP leaks if anyone is worried about that. Personally I know no1 in OD would abuse such information. But I still run a vpn when connected to TS or any site connected with OD.

Edit - My suggestion for the transition is replacing the sidebar on the website with the discord widget.. After the service ends ofc.

2nd edit - Not to mention you can grab the host IP from TS rather easily.  Where discord it's a lot harder.

its not more secure, i think 3/4 of the channels not being used is a gross overstatement since im one of the people who is for less channels.Stability wise ive had many issues with discord going robotic and being forced to change server locations on my own discord and that happens more frequently than out TS going down. Discord can not fulfill our need for channel hierarchy and the way we order things. We cannot organize and use our ranking system in this regard either.Discord is extremely limited in the things you can do and the options that we want to use are non existent on discord therefore its not a viable thing to switch to.

7 minutes ago, Tachikoma01 said:

its not more secure, i think 3/4 of the channels not being used is a gross overstatement since im one of the people who is for less channels.Stability wise ive had many issues with discord going robotic and being forced to change server locations on my own discord and that happens more frequently than out TS going down. Discord can not fulfill our need for channel hierarchy and the way we order things. We cannot organize and use our ranking system in this regard either.Discord is extremely limited in the things you can do and the options that we want to use are non existent on discord therefore its not a viable thing to switch to.

Test the servers for yourself if you are able. Discord can handle a lot more compared to TS. For the ranks; Enlisted. Warrant. Officer. Gen+. There's no need to have 20 different ranks with only a few permissions.

As for over 3/4 not being used. Count it in our most active hours. I assume I'm not around then as there's always a lot more then that not being used.

Discord going robotic could either be you used it on release and haven't since or net issues. I've used discord for roughly a year, and haven't had an issue that wasn't fixed.

P.S - For security, I can pull all your IP's from TS if I wanted. However, I can't do this with discord.

Edited by Ganesh(OD)

Just now, Ganesh(OD) said:

Test the servers for yourself if you are able. Discord can handle a lot more compared to TS. For the ranks; Enlisted. Warrant. Officer. Gen+. There's no need to have 20 different ranks with only a few permissions.

As for over 3/4 not being used. Count it in our most active hours. I assume I'm not around then as there's always a lot more then that not being used.

Discord going robotic could either be you used it on release and haven't since or net issues. I've used discord for roughly a year, and haven't had an issue that wasn't fixed.

i used discord everyday i don't really need to test anything im giving you an answer as to why we arnt integrating what i stated is factual and there is a need for the ranks and permission as that is how our clan is set up. The robotic issue is server side on discord which again is why i must change server locations to fix its its not a singularity it happens frequently. I wouldnt get your hopes up we more than likely wont be switching in the near future  discord needs to make huge strides in thier interface/user abilities before we can even consider it.

48 minutes ago, Tachikoma01 said:

i used discord everyday i don't really need to test anything im giving you an answer as to why we arnt integrating what i stated is factual and there is a need for the ranks and permission as that is how our clan is set up. The robotic issue is server side on discord which again is why i must change server locations to fix its its not a singularity it happens frequently. I wouldnt get your hopes up we more than likely wont be switching in the near future  discord needs to make huge strides in thier interface/user abilities before we can even consider it.

So explain why I haven't had a problem since launch? Or any of the 100 ppl in the server I use.

I'm only suggesting it to remove a useless expense.

2 minutes ago, Ganesh(OD) said:

So explain why I haven't had a problem since launch? Or any of the 100 ppl in the server I use.

I'm only suggesting it to remove a useless expense.

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/212855038-I-m-hearing-Robotic-and-Distorted-voices-How-do-I-fix-it-

known issues even in their FAQ mate, not sure why your getting defensive as this is our standpoint atm, Discord cannot accommodate our needs in its present capacity

6 minutes ago, Tachikoma01 said:

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/212855038-I-m-hearing-Robotic-and-Distorted-voices-How-do-I-fix-it-

known issues even in their FAQ mate, not sure why your getting defensive as this is our standpoint atm, Discord cannot accommodate our needs in its present capacity

You speak as though you represent this entire clan. If this is true then they can voice their opinions for themselves. It's not about being defensive. It's about reducing the cost on the host, and limiting the risk factor.

Also this is due to servers being shut down. This is possible for even TS, except you can't switch your server region manually.

I could prove my point to you, but I'd break enough rules to have myself banned.

We've had this talk. Discord still doesn't provide support that we need.

1 hour ago, Collin(OD) said:

We've had this talk. Discord still doesn't provide support that we need.

And what support is required for OD to establish voice com on discord?

When we can exactly copy the permissions and channel structure from the TS3 server we will move to Discord.

you say we dont need the 20 ranks we have what makes that your decison this clan goes back on way more than just what makes it work its tradition love respect and alot of hard work we more than game with each other we grow with each other and become better ppl in our in game and our real life as for discord over teamspeak theres no reason for us to make a switch when there is no problem with what we have now i still dont know why that discord even exists also what times do you play bc there isnt anywhere near 3/4's unused channels on any given day

just an edit im not saying anything other than what i think im already at a loss that i agree weith these 2 lol

Edited by chrishodge(OD)

Unlike some of the others, I think its great that you bring these ideas and topics up! Moving to discord has been an issue the administration has been considering (discord ha a lot more potential than TS, but less structure than we like) for a while. I'm fairly certain at this point that a move to discord is less of a "should we?" and more of a "when should we?".  Like the others noted, probably that is going to be when Discord can support our rank structure, something our administration believes is integral to our Clan's identity. 

But still, great to see you looking for ways that would clearly allow ODG to benefit. It's always awesome when relatively new members have great ideas for improving the clan like you.

I was looking through your profile and saw that you play LoL! You should hit up our division at some time! My in-game name is CaleBrown. Send me a friend request and i can add you to the OD Club.  Looking forward to seeing you in-game!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Azhriel(OD) said:

Unlike some of the others, I think its great that you bring these ideas and topics up! Moving to discord has been an issue the administration has been considering (discord ha a lot more potential than TS, but less structure than we like) for a while. I'm fairly certain at this point that a move to discord is less of a "should we?" and more of a "when should we?".  Like the others noted, probably that is going to be when Discord can support our rank structure, something our administration believes is integral to our Clan's identity. 

But still, great to see you looking for ways that would clearly allow ODG to benefit. It's always awesome when relatively new members have great ideas for improving the clan like you.

I was looking through your profile and saw that you play LoL! You should hit up our division at some time! My in-game name is CaleBrown. Send me a friend request and i can add you to the OD Club.  Looking forward to seeing you in-game!

Commenting on an old topic such as this, while potentially useful, is mostly just bringing up an old conversation that we've moved on from. This discussion was concluded on May 2. It should have been resolved then, and now it will be marked as resolved. We'll keep an eye on Discord's development.

This topic is now marked as resolved. If you have any questions or concerns about Discord, please contact an Officer or General.

Edited by Collin(OD)

I realize this topic is locked and I apologize for sticking in a post anyway, but I wanted to add in something I feel is important.

Although the topic has been locked the intent isn't to try and silence members who want to talk about something, if you have questions about our position on Discord or about the structure of the Clan you can still make a new topic about it to discuss it, I don't want members to feel like they can't talk about their concerns.

However Collin's statement here:

19 hours ago, Collin(OD) said:

When we can exactly copy the permissions and channel structure from the TS3 server we will move to Discord.

Accurately sums up the official position of the Clan, and at this time there are no plans to make a full transition so there is no point in making a topic just to try and argue about it. As Collin said we already made a decision on that a few months back.

But if you want to have a mature discussion about Discord or the Clan, then you can have one. The structure of our Clan, including all those 20 ranks, do play an important part in our community and if you want to productively talk about the merits or disadvantages you feel our rank structure has then you have every right to make a topic about it, and as long as it doesn't degenerate into any pointless fights or emotional arguments then discussion for it will remain open.