Sign in to follow this  
Aerineth(OD)

Overwatch Team Foundation and Role Swtiching

For our first event, Baha, myself, and Xayj were present to discuss potential ideas for events right out of the bat. Not speaking for the competitive side of the division, many of us are still learning characters and situations in the game. In this process, people are trying different heroes in different situations. Predominately, it's because of this reason Baha and myself have decided to wait to kick Events off full force till the end of next week. Providing all members with ample time to explore heroes in their own free time. One hero doesn't work in all situations.

So, for our first Event, we decided that one of the most important factors to any successful game, is team work. And as an excercise for teamwork, we've come up with what we hope will be a good start in building and forging teamwork, trust among your team mates, and the open-ness to see situations from others eyes.

Quite simply this event will consist of role switching. Each game during the event will be held with one team captain calling all the shots for the team. The other 5 team mates will listen to their team captain, and follow orders. We felt this event will provide an opportunity to teach members team work, as well as get a feel for where members lie, as far as if they're a leader or a follower. Both are critical for successful teams. Each game, the team captain will change to another member of the party randomly. This way, everyone can try their hand at the helm.

It is ultimately our hope that this event, allows our members to see from the eyes of multiple positions. The team captain on the team for that game will have the power to request specific people to use specific types of heroes. For instance, if the captain says we need a Reinhardt, either someone volunteers for that position, or the captain chooses who will take the Reinhardt position. This set up will also provide members of the event a chance to get out of their comfort zone and branch out to new heroes they either haven't tried yet, or are not very good at.

This event will take place on Friday, June 3rd at 7 PM Eastern Time (6 Central, 5 Mountain, and 4 Pacific). All members will need to sign up here in this thread. Teams will be decided the day off, so we don't have entire teams of competitive players and entire teams of casual players pitted against each other. I will try my best to split the teams evenly so that there's 3 competitive and 3 casual on each team.

i'm good to go.

I want to go. I like generally defense. But I need exp somewhere else I guess. Id like some real strategy as well besides just a wing it. Examples, Where to go when we die? Perhaps a shout out Im DEAD I was junkrat. Leader could suggest a diff char that maybe they know the persons good at for that situation. Where to meet up? maybe some more other thoughts. Team Leaders? Maybe switching team leaders depending on board and maybe a switch to see how others pan out.

Signing up for this, though I might not be there for all of the event as I have work from around 6:30 PM PST to 11:00 PM PST that day. Fingers crossed that I get the day off, but I'm not betting on it.

I love the idea of this event, though. Props to whoever suggested it.

The idea was originally mine. But with aerineth's and baha's help they molded it from my rough idea i suggested, into the presented one we have here. All in all it was a great first event created fully by a group effort.

Hope you get the day off so you can be there :)

Edited by Xayj(OD)

Quick update. The event might start a little late. Some things came up, and we're hoping Baha will be able to be on in time to start this event on time. We'd already known that I was going to be a little late due to an Oz-Con meeting. If it's late, then it'll be started as soon as Baha gets on. If in the event Baha is not on at 8:30 Central at the latest, I will begin the tournament at that time when I get home. Future events should go much smoother, just so everyone was aware.

So bare with us is for the first event. As things progress, we'll be much smoother as events go on.

I would like to sign up for this event. I just got the game last night, but I'm all about failure since it's the key to success. :)

-Raged(OD):D

The event will start on time as planned. In the event bahafresh is not able to be here in time, I will be starting the event for him till he arrives. Thanks to everyone who's expressed their interest in the event. Hopefully we see a larger turnout than just the members who posted here.

Edited by Xayj(OD)

For some reason, it won't let me edit my post. I actually can't---I actually have something to do that I completely forgot about.

For some reason, it won't let me edit my post. I actually can't---I actually have something to do that I completely forgot about.

At some point way in the past it was decided that members below a certain rank should only be allowed to edit their posts within a certain period of making the post. Something about preventing people from hiding posts--or something like that.

It's intended to prevent people from changing arguments or information after-the-fact in the event a problem requires an investigation. But maybe we can lengthen the time by a bit. I'll look into it.

But back to the subject at hand, how did the event go?

as per my news post on the main website

First Overwatch Event

I want to give a big thank you to all our Overwatch members that showed up and participated in our very first Division Event. All though the event was cut short due to the lack of available leaders, it went well overall. For those who aren't aware all current and future events for overwatch can be found in the Overwatch division forum.

http://forum.overdosed.net/index.php/forum/295-events/

Feel free to participate in the discussion of new events and the current event we plan on continuing to host.
Edited by Xayj(OD)

I must have missed the news post. My apologies. I'm glad to hear the events have had a good start.

Damn didn't see this haha. Would love to participate in future events even though I'm d2 division lol

Damn didn't see this haha. Would love to participate in future events even though I'm d2 division lol

That's perfectly fine! I participated in this event, and my current main game is WoW. :P

-Raged(OD):D

Absolutely. None of our events will be OW only. There might be some that are OD only, but you can be in whatever division, if you want to join, we'll be happy to have you.

Also, I plan on getting with Baha to see about our next event next time I see him. So look for a new thread soon!

Sweet, I'll be on this weekend. I like playing widowmaker, and pharah, but I really want to practice with all characters