Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Overdosed Academy Squad

17 posts in this topic

Overdosed Academy Squad

I finally got around to putting together the Academy Squad. This Squad will contain a list of Division Leaders who voluntarily offer themselves as a source for advice on certain parts of running Divisions (during this I will refer to Divisions, but all of this applies to Squads as well). Running Divisions can be tricky, particularly since it is inevitable that sooner or later a Division is going to run into some kind of problem, and it falls to the Division Leader to figure out how to get past that problem. In such cases, if you need help or even a second opinion, find someone in this Squad, particularly someone offering to be a source of advice in a category that best pertains to your problem.

Don't under-value this. Even despite the fact that, so far, I've written most of the topics on information and knowledge related to creating and leading Divisions, I have also had to occasionally ask the second opinion of someone whose judgment I trusted just to double-check that what I was doing was reasonable, fair, and the best decision under those circumstances. The sure mark of a poor leader is someone who believes they have no need for a fresh perspective on important matters.

There are three categories, although many of the leaders listed may have extensive knowledge on two or all of the categories, each one has picked one category they wish to be responsible for advising in. This is to help spread out the attention commitment so that one person doesn't end up being the go-to person for all the Clan's problems, but also to encourage members to get to know other leaders, not just their favored one (although most people will probably still just go to the person they trust the most each time, but at least this way there are options if that person is unavailable).

Leaders in each category are listed in the Squad description on the site, but for simplicity's sake I'll post them here too.

Advice on Problem-Solving

Leaders offering advice in this category specialize in judging problems and the best course of action for dealing with them.This will primarily refer to help with resolving disputes between members or appropriate disciplinary action, but can include cases of theft, dishonesty, or other direct problems plaguing a Division as well.

-Terra

Advice on Leadership

Leaders offering advice in this category specialize in offering information and techniques on being a fair, confident, and inspirational leader. Knowing the best approaches to earning the trust and faith of your members, the balance between decisiveness and recklessness, the best use of authority, these are all things that fall under this category, and in which leaders under this category are willing to offer suggestions on.

-Ravemore

Advice on Events

Leaders in this category offer advice specializing in creative events. These can be tournament ideas or places to get tournament brackets, custom events such as how ironman tourneys work, or even knowledge on effective techniques for recruiting, retention, or in-game economic ideas. All of these are things a Leader of Events can provide recommendations on.

-No laders in this category yet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to join the Squad and offer your services as a leader?

First off, only someone who has been a Division Leader of a Division for at least 6 months can become a part of this Squad. You need the credentials to back up your confidence. If you meet that requirement you can apply through the site or by posting in this topic and I'll add you both here and on the site, make sure you communicate to me in some form which of the three categories you would like to be responsible for tutoring on. You can only pick one. Once added people looking for perspective or opinions may contact you, however keep in mind that there are not always very many situations in which people actively look for advice, so don't take it personally if you are rarely, if ever, contacted for help. The idea is to give members the option, its up to them to decide if they want to use it or not. If someone does come to you for help, keep in mind that it falls to them to choose if they want to follow your advice or not, each of them are to decide for themselves if your solution is the best course of action in their situation.

If you are receiving advice from a leader

Keep in mind that their advice does not guarantee a resolution to your problem, it is simply a recommendation. The choice of how and whether to apply their suggestions is up to you, and the responsibility of taking care of your Division and it's problems is still yours. Furthermore in certain circumstances the advice provided may take the form of constructive criticism or things you may not necessarily agree with or want to hear. Again, the choice of whether to accept the advice or not is yours, but don't ask for answers to a question you aren't prepared to receive answers for. If needed, you can ask any additional leaders for second or third or fourth opinions as well, maybe they will advise something similar, or maybe they will advise something entirely different, choose the recommendations you feel address your situation best. Advice is still worth hearing, even if you don't use it.

Edited by Terra

Ravemore has graciously offered to provide help and advice on leadership for Squads and Division.

I would have pounced on this, but as I am not a division leader yet I cannot. =/

Is there any chance we can revive this? It sounds like it could still be incredibly useful if run properly.

• Upvote 1

If enough people are interested in being involved in it, then yes. I'm pretty sure Ravemore only joined it originally because he felt bad for the lack of attention it was getting. I don't think it'll accomplish much with just the two of us, but if there was at least one more interested person, then I'd be willing to try set up some things to make it useful again.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a brilliant idea I would really like to see this come to life and one day even be a part of it. It could really help people in a co-lead/lead position get a few more opinions and advice on situations they may be dealing with. I'm actually compiling a few event guidelines that I would like to propose to my division at the moment so if that position doesn't fill sometime and im in the position to take it on id love to contribute.

@Terra once said that if at least one more person meaning more than her and myself was interested we'd try to start it back up. If you're really interested @Dabomb(OD) I think we should do it. 

This is actually my alley. As much as some may laugh it off, and think I'm crazy, I'm all about making your login to play more games rather then off.

@Xayj(OD) I've got to wait atleast 6 months before I am able to join this squad however once this time passes I will be sure to bring it back up i'm definitely interested. It never hurts to get a bit more experience under my belt haha.

• Upvote 1

As someone in the lower enlisted ranks presently that is aspiring to (one day in the future) assist and support the diablo 2 division leadership (and aid in other divisions as I am able) I was very excited to see recent posts on this topic.  This overall sub forum (OD Academy) is a fountain of useful information that I certainly hope many are utilizing.  As I've been reading through the various threads and their responses posted I wanted to take a moment to thank you and everyone else who has posted information to aid, assist, or otherwise help the development of leaders to be and those who one day aspire to be leaders.  I have already picked up on quite a few things that will assist me in areas that I was or am lacking in.  Please, if possible, continue this squad - it is truly a wonderful resource.  

I beleave anything that helps the gaming community is worth a shot . Planning and laying out guide lines for events and turny's can be a very gruesome task at times .And the others you have mentioned in the list is well put as well. I f I can be of assistance feel free to hit me upon pm . And I do beleave this can be a beneficial tool for future leaders and a learning tool. Thanks for the post and I say I am sorry I have not read it completely til today .

I was gona ask if it possible to put a session on how to properly recruit trail members. Or would that be better placed else where ? Just an Idea I had that I thought might be useful:)

Edited by WindStorMS(OD)

Put me in coach!

im ready sign me up

On 11/18/2016 at 4:50 PM, Sarnith said:

As someone in the lower enlisted ranks presently that is aspiring to (one day in the future) assist and support the diablo 2 division leadership (and aid in other divisions as I am able) I was very excited to see recent posts on this topic.  This overall sub forum (OD Academy) is a fountain of useful information that I certainly hope many are utilizing.  As I've been reading through the various threads and their responses posted I wanted to take a moment to thank you and everyone else who has posted information to aid, assist, or otherwise help the development of leaders to be and those who one day aspire to be leaders.  I have already picked up on quite a few things that will assist me in areas that I was or am lacking in.  Please, if possible, continue this squad - it is truly a wonderful resource.  

I honestly felt [and still feel bad] that I had to step away before fulfilling my word on this statement.  Or rather, to put it better, back up these words with actual action.  I look forward to doing so this coming reset - I'm super excited, and hopefully the D2 players are as well!

@WindStorMS(OD) @Sassy  @Xayj(OD) in the past i've relied on you and Dtwo [when Mike was still here] as a shoulder to lean on while I learned and stepped forward to do things, or run events in some cases.  I sincerely hope I can continue to do so, especially interact with other leaders within the OD Community as a whole.  If there's anything I learned while in the military - it's that by hurling yourself into the unknown, learning from those who have experienced whatever environment you've landed in will teach you valuable lessons that you can carry with you through life.  Even the seemingly oddest or off the wall train of thought can sometimes innovate incredibly useful or efficient ideas.  In some cases taking a seemingly improbably situation and creating a feasible solution where so many before have failed.

As previously stated in my quoted post - I sincerely hope this thread is continued by the leadership of OD - It's a great resource that we as lower enlisted should be able to look at and aspire to as potential future leaders.

Thanks again,

Sarnith