corgur(OD)

Favorite Band, Movie, music

Favorite Band : Nightwish

Favorite Movie : Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Favorite Music : I'll listen to anything but my typical genre is either Symphonic Metal or JPop.

Favorite Band: Chicago Philharmonic

Favorite Movie: Die Hard Series

Favorite Music: Anything that blows my mind and my.......... wallet

Band: Beatles

Movie: Avatar

Music: soft rock

Anyone here ever listen to Daniel Johnston before?

Might as well contribute since music is one of my primary passions. Personally I like anything from psych rock to black metal. I'm not too big into the underground scene yet but I've been getting into more and more lesser-known bands recently. To keep things short from my ~15K song library I'll just give a quick list with some YouTube links. And by quick, I mean probably around ~100 songs (one or two from most of the bands in my collection). If you like metal or want to evolve past that nu-metal/hard rock stage (which is normal for most metalheads to go through or start off as), I recommend spending a few hours/days sifting through this list.

: These guys are some really good brutal/technical death metal, with some of the best drumming I've seen in a while in death metal. Seriously, the guy's a tank.

: If you haven't heard of this Australian-based rock band, there's something wrong with you. I don't think I need to describe these guys.

: Accept is one of the older heavy metal bands in existence, and they do some solid work. The album that this song is named after is one of the staple albums for every heavy metal collector.

: The Agonist is a melodic death metal band that used to be fronted by the legendary Alissa White-Gluz (who has since moved on to front Arch Enemy). Unfortunately they don't utilize her vocals as much as The Agonist did, and this song really showcases it. They were one of the few woman-fronted metal bands that did something different with their vocalist.

: One of the biggest names in pirate metal, Alestorm is a really fun band to listen to. Their latest release leans more towards power metal than what their previous releases offered, but they've still got some solid, fun songwriting.

: These guys don't take themselves seriously at all, but despite this they've got some ridiculously tight technical death metal to show to the world. They've also fore-fronted "crabcore" (a fictional but hilarious metal subgenre).

: Amon Amarth is one of the biggest names in viking metal, period. You can learn almost all of Norse mythology by listening to these guys. Not to mention they have a very powerful vocalist and some of the best riffs I've seen.

: This link is to an entire album, not just a singular song. And that's because this folk/death/progressive/doom metal band takes you on trips with their albums.

: Basing their name on the beginning of Merlin's famous chant from the King Arthur tale, this grindcore duo is a plethora of unforgiving noise. Sadly they use a drum machine (a big no-no for most respectable bands), but if you can get past that, as well as their high entry curve, they're a really good listen.

: An intrumental jazz/progressive metal trio that will make your guitarist ego sit down and have a talk with itself on humility. Very creative, and all over the place, a perfect band for anyone who wants to sit back and enjoy an afternoon, or work on their man-bun.

: I have a special love for this band since they showcase that Canada has good musicians as well. These guys do fantastic speed/thrash metal, and although their back-catalogue can be somewhat inconsistent, their good stuff far outweighs anything mediocre.

: One of the "Big 4" thrash bands, Anthrax can proudly state that they have never released a bad album. Every single one of their releases has been outstanding and different from the last.

: Arch Enemy is a flagship band for melodic death metal, and for female-fronted bands everywhere. They were founded after the Amott brothers left Carcass, originally with male vocalist Johan Liiva. After releasing three solid albums, Johan was replaced with Angela Gossow, who had one of the best female metal voices in history. For their latest release she stepped down and was replaced with Alissa White-Gluz, who does well with the band (but again I preferred her back in The Agonist).

: Really, really good technical death metal. They've got loads of passion and loads of skill. Not much else to say about them, except to give them a listen.

: Named after a song by Tank, Artillery poses as a solid entry into thrash metal, being part of the thrash metal rise in 1985.

and
: This band needed two songs in my list because they are just that good. Each song sharing the name of their respective albums, both of these will be on repeat on every metalhead's playlist (if you're heinous enough to make a playlist instead of just listening to the whole album). The former, Slaughter of the Soul, is the staple melodic death metal album to have.

: Yeah, I'm gonna go back on myself and add A7X to my list. Kill me if you must, but they were one of the first heavy metal/hard rock bands I liked. And it's one of the few metal bands that I like that my dad will listen to. So even if they're total sell-out generic corporate, they still have a place in my heart.

: Bathory was made by a singular person: the late Quorthon. He started off doing some black metal releases for his first two albums, but after that established viking metal as a genre single-handedly. Although the production is somewhat lo-fi by today's standards, this is a piece of history that stands the test of time.

: Heavy/power metal band Battle Beast does some great work. Recommended by Tuomas Holopainen (of Nightwish fame), these guys do some great work. They've also got some of the most unique female vocals I've seen.

: Although their vocals are a little bit of generic "teenage growling" they do some good thrash metal work. Always fun to listen to, even if you hate the teenage growling.

: True to their name, Behemoth towers over the black metal scene with their latest release, The Satanist, which is being hailed as the definitive black metal album. They came out of the underground scene by just being damn good at what they do.

: Another good black metal band, they've got some powerful riffs and drumming, and a complimenting vocalist to tie the whole brutal sound together.

: Billy Talent is one of Canada's finest exports. Making a huge name for themselves in the punk rock scene, they have very strong song-writing, and the lyrics are down to earth instead of your usual "fuck the system" style of punk rock. Their drummer also does a fantastic job, despite having MS.

: Named after the real event, this melodic death metal band has a solid repertoire to go through. They also do a lot of recommendations to smaller bands on their Facebook page, which is great for discovering new music.

: I can almost guarantee you've heard about this band before. They founded doom metal and helped shape metal as a whole. Funny enough, the reason behind their unique guitar distortion is that their guitarist Tony Iommi had an industrial accident, cutting off the tips of his fingers. He detuned the strings on his guitar so it wouldn't hurt his fingers, causing the distorted sound that began on Master of Reality.

: Great psych rock band. Their sound is pretty inspired by Black Sabbath, but they've got some good trips if you want to zone out for an hour or two.

: Another huge name on this list, rock icon Bruce Springsteen, needless to say, is a legend. By far my favorite song from them.

: One of the few metalcore bands I like, Caliban has some cheesy vocals and some insane sound.

and
: The founder of epic doom metal, Candlemass has been going strong with every release and will make you feel like joining a cult.

and
: Another band with two links. This is because melodic death metal rulers Carcass doesn't release often, but when they do it's going to be in everyone's ears for years to come. Heartwork was Carcass's defining album, but after almost a decade beak later they came back with the crushing Surgical Steel release, which blew away everyone's expectations.

: Founded after Hellhammer broke apart, Celtic Frost is the grandfather of black metal. They came in with such ferocity and ripped apart the metal scene to forge a faster, darker path of music.

: It's hard to define a genre for this band, but they release some good stuff. They go from metalcore to death metal within seconds, and it's a refreshing combination that always has me wondering what they'll sound like next.

: Sludge metal giants Crowbar do good work when they release an album. Their most recent release is by far their best, but Sever the Wicked Hand is also a treat to enjoy.

~~~

...and this is just A-C of my collection. Been writing for two hours and partially feel like my effort will be wasted, but for the few of you that take the time to read this and sift through what I have so far, you're welcome.

Nice! I enjoy some black metal, but I'm more into punk and hardcore myself. Some metallic/sludgey hardcore (such as Crowbar) is pretty rad. Big Crowbar fan. Anyways, here's a few bands I like. Try to look past the straight edge stuff if that's not your thing. The music is still solid.

Trapped Under Ice - Believe

Minority Unit - CMF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T61RyQQHKQo

Cruel Hand - Lock & Key

Turnstile - Canned Heat

Edited by TrueChill(OD)

I'll be short on this for now..

I used to listen to Rock/ soft, heavy, dark. You name it. But..

Slipknot, always kept me in my feet.. So I had them as #1 among others...

I listen to pretty much almost anything...

Techno, house, instrumental, all party style music/rthyms.

My favorite now.. Is Reggaeton, Spanish Urban Reggae ( is mostly all I listen to now)

Arcangel

Nengo Flow

De la Geeze ( Ghetto)

Tego Calderon

Wisin y Yandel

And tons more :)

Specially the Underground Remix's

My Favorite Band is our lady peace and Defleppard

My favorite movie is never ending story

Edited by daveroberts(OD)

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE :D

ok i listen to every thing , but my favorites are ccr, ac/dc, springsteen, bill miller, starship, dead,

Anyone here listen to Them Crooked Vultures?

They made an amazing album a few years back, def worth listening to.

Has Josh Homme from QOTSA, Dave Grohl from Nirvana/Foo Fighters and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin.

Great guitar work by the great Josh "Ginger Elvis" Homme.

Another hidden gem, with Mark Lanegan, one of my favorite singers. This was the first collaboration between Isobell Campbell & Mark Lanegan. They have some great harmonies together that is for sure.

Edited by Magik(OD)

i was an 80's/90's kid so I like a lot of stuff from that era. As I've gotten older some classic rock and metal has really grown on me as well. Ill stick to a top 5 though.

1 Led Zeppelin

2 Alice In Chains

3 Rolling Stones

4 Metallica

5 AC/DC

There's not a ton of variety in the stuff I listen to really. I'm not big into country, rap or r&b. I'll listen to some every once in a while but I really have to be in the mood for it. I'm mostly into rock and metal.

Onto movies

I tend to be really critical of movies these days. My friends give me crap about it all the time but I can't help it. They all end the same way and follow the same pattern. Directors, producers etc are more concerned with appealing to as wide a demographic as possible over actually making a good movie. This mindset has sort of taken over Video games as well and probably happened in music first. Maybe I'm just getting to a point where I've seen enough movies that it's impossible for them to show me something new.

I do have my favorites like every one else however. Again I'll stick to a top 5.

1 Snatch

2 Pulp Fiction

3 Terminator 2

4 Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

5 12 Monkeys

Books

I don't really read a lot but I'll probably start reading more. Currently I'm working my way through L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. It's actually hilarious but I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy. Hubbard was the ultimate sleeze ball weirdo and it manifests itself in his writing in pretty epic fashion.

I'm on book 9 of 10 so im starting to wear down a little. Just want to read something else now. I'll probably try more sci fi after I finish these last 2 books.

i was an 80's/90's kid so I like a lot of stuff from that era. As I've gotten older some classic rock and metal has really grown on me as well. Ill stick to a top 5 though.

1 Led Zeppelin

2 Alice In Chains

3 Rolling Stones

4 Metallica

5 AC/DC

There's not a ton of variety in the stuff I listen to really. I'm not big into country, rap or r&b. I'll listen to some every once in a while but I really have to be in the mood for it. I'm mostly into rock and metal.

Onto movies

I tend to be really critical of movies these days. My friends give me crap about it all the time but I can't help it. They all end the same way and follow the same pattern. Directors, producers etc are more concerned with appealing to as wide a demographic as possible over actually making a good movie. This mindset has sort of taken over Video games as well and probably happened in music first. Maybe I'm just getting to a point where I've seen enough movies that it's impossible for them to show me something new.

I do have my favorites like every one else however. Again I'll stick to a top 5.

1 Snatch

2 Pulp Fiction

3 Terminator 2

5 12 Monkeys

Books

I don't really read a lot but I'll probably start reading more. Currently I'm working my way through L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. It's actually hilarious but I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy. Hubbard was the ultimate sleeze ball weirdo and it manifests itself in his writing in pretty epic fashion.

I'm on book 9 of 10 so im starting to wear down a little. Just want to read something else now. I'll probably try more sci fi after I finish these last 2 books.

Alice in Chains + Rolling Stones? Fuck yea!! RIP Layne Staley :(

also nice movie list snatch pulp and T2 are epic. i gotta see 4 & 5 on ur list.

1 Led Zeppelin

2 Alice In Chains

3 Rolling Stones

4 Metallica

5 AC/DC

Onto movies

1 Snatch

2 Pulp Fiction

3 Terminator 2

5 12 Monkeys

Books

Alice in Chains + Rolling Stones? Fuck yea!! RIP Layne Staley :(

also nice movie list snatch pulp and T2 are epic. i gotta see 4 & 5 on ur list.

The more I read about Layne Staley the sadder it gets. There just needs to be more help and understanding from society for people with mental health issues. The world is an extremely cruel place and very few people go through life without experiencing things that severely negatively impact our outlook and state of mind.

And yeah the first 3 movies on my top 5 stay the same but 4 and 5 can depend on what day you ask me. 12 monkeys is a sci fi thriller involving time travel. Stars Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt and Kathryn Railly. I've always been a sucker for time travel stories. It's directed by Fisher King's Terry Gilliam and there's definitely some similarities in the camera work and dialogue dynamics.

Confessions was I believe the first movie George Clooney did as a director. Its a pseudo film adaptation of game show mogul Chuck Barris's autobiography about a claimed double life. I don't think it was all that popular but it has a pretty sweet Noire atmosphere that I really dig.

Depending on the day I might also say Clueless, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dumb and Dumber or Big Trouble in Little China are top 5.

The list of music I like is nearly endless. But I'll sum it up in a top ten list.

1. Blink 182

2. All American rejects

3. Green day

4. Pierce the veil

5. Foster the people

6. Kid Cudi

7. Calvin Harris

8. Jonathan Meyers

9. The Killers

10. 21 pilots

My favorite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love them.

Band: Metallica.

Movie: Good Will Hunting

Music: Melodic / Progressive, something that tells a story. not 1 line over and over again.

Edited by CompFreak(OD)

My Spotify list includes (Not including the many 1-2 song artists)
Gray = A few songs
White = Several Songs
Green = Many Songs
Gold = My all-time favorites
Red = Reserved for NIN lol

3 Doors Down: 3 Songs
Alice in Chains: 10 Songs
Beck: 4 Songs
Billy Idol: 5 Songs
The Black Crowes: 7 Songs
Bush: 3 Songs
The Cardigans: 7 Songs
Collective Soul: 7 Songs
Deep Purple: 3 Songs
Deftones: 6 Songs
The Doors: 5 Songs
Eminem: 10 Songs
Filter: 4 Songs
Flyleaf: 3 Songs
Foo Fighters: 5 Songs
Godsmack: 3 Songs
Gorillaz: 11 Songs
Green Day: 4 Songs
Hopsin: 3 Songs
Iron Maiden: 14 Songs
Jet: 3 Songs
Kingdom Come: 3 Songs
Korn: 13 Songs
Lenny Kravitz: 3 Songs
Marilyn Manson: 3 Songs
Megadeth: 7 Songs
Metal Church: 6 Songs
Metallica: 16 Songs
Dethklok: 12 Songs
Ministry: 7 Songs
Motley Crue: 3 Songs
Nine Inch Nails: 47 Songs (Obviously my favorite)
Nirvana: 8 Songs
Ozzy Osbourne: 20 Songs
Pantera: 6 Songs
Pearl Jam: 11 Songs
Puscifer: 3 Songs
Queen: 4 Songs
Red Hot Chili Peppers: 4 Songs
Rob Zombie: 5 Songs
Staind: 3 Songs
System of a Down: 11 Songs
Thrice: 12 Songs
Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 9 Songs